PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]: Help with direction for character

Jarveiyan
2010-06-21, 01:24 AM
A few weeks ago our group started a pathfinder game the DM is running a premade adventure - something about getting a certain flame for the village we start out in. My problem happens to be that I started out playing a monk, and due to certain situational problems we lost our only arcane caster. I'm thinking about multiclassing and/or prestiging(although my original plans was to go monk for 20) and I'm not sure how to proceed, there will be no changing the character upto this point I'm looking for suggestions after this fact.

Our party:
Adonis human male LG monk 2
Psycho Squirrel dwarf male ?? fighter 2
Tiffy (halfling or gnome) female CN cleric 2
???? halfing male CN rogue 2

Adonis (CR2) XP:1406
Male human monk 2
LG Medium humanoid
Init +2; Senses Perception +8
Languages Common, Elven

AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 13 (+2 Dex, +1 dodge, +3 Wis)
hp 20 (2 HD)
Resist evasion
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +6

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee masterwork nunchaku +4 (1d6+2/x2)
Melee unarmed +3 (1d6+2/x2)
Base Atk +1; CMB +3, CMD 18

Abilities Str 15 Dex 15 Con 17 Int 13 Wis 16 Cha 14
Feats Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows<human>, Dodge<mnk 2>, Improved Grapple<mnk 1>, Stunning Fist<mnk 1>
Skills Acrobatics +6(1rnk), Climb +6(1rnk), Escape Artist +6(1rnk), Intimidate +6(1rnk), Knowledge(history/religion) +5/+6(1/2rnks), Perception +8(2rnks), Profession(cook) +7(1rnk), Ride +6(1rnk), Sense Motive +8(2rnks), Stealth +8(2rnks), Swim +6(1rnk)
Possessions backpack, bedroll, winter blanket, flint and steel, small steel mirror, belt pouch, 7 days of trail rations, 2lb of soap, waterskin, bullseye lantern w/9 pints of oil
Wealth 17 copper pieces, 9 silver pieces, 10 gold pieces

18 yrs-old 5'10" 150 lbs. brown eyes black hair tanned skin

(Pathfinder)flaw - bad shot

PId6
2010-06-21, 01:47 AM
Eh, PF hasn't really changed the monk enough to be actually good. Your best bet is still to start multiclassing into other classes and taking PrCs. Since you're level 2 right now, you're at the best cutoff point for the purposes of multiclassing away. Multiclassing into an arcane class is a terrible idea at this point, but going into druid can work. You've certainly the Wisdom for it, and your physical stats will actually be useful for the PF druid.

Is rebuilding an option?

Also what books are available? Are 3.5 books allowed? Homebrew? Just PF core?

Aeromyre
2010-06-21, 08:52 AM
Eh, PF hasn't really changed the monk enough to be actually good. Your best bet is still to start multiclassing into other classes and taking PrCs. Since you're level 2 right now, you're at the best cutoff point for the purposes of multiclassing away. Multiclassing into an arcane class is a terrible idea at this point, but going into druid can work. You've certainly the Wisdom for it, and your physical stats will actually be useful for the PF druid.

Is rebuilding an option?

Also what books are available? Are 3.5 books allowed? Homebrew? Just PF core?

That would work if he wasn't lawful good, in PF druids must be some sort of neutral. If you can shift to neutral good then do it, but DMs are sometimes very strict on alignment changing, I know I am.
Also an alignment change may be good considering half your party is chaotic

Jarveiyan
2010-06-21, 11:32 AM
I was considering having the character gradually change alignment to LN by the end of the adventure. As far as I know only PF books with some 3.5 feats like practised spellcaster will be allowed, DM approval will be needed for anything not found in a PF book. And I'm not partial to playing Druids on top of the fact if I multiclass it will be into a type of character we don't have (such as an arcane caster). We are not a particularly optimizing group, so taking a hit to my casting levels won't be a problem for me. how about multiclassing into sorcerer, then prestiging into dragon disciple?

Akal Saris
2010-06-21, 12:28 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd stick with monk or whatever other frontliner class you want to play. At a 2 level hit to CL and a 13 or 14 in your casting stat, you won't be any good at the arcane caster role, whatever that is supposed to be.

arguskos
2010-06-21, 12:36 PM
Here's a thought: You can try to get into Enlightened Fist (prestige class from Complete Arcane). You're at the natural break point out of Monk (level 2) and can definitely do alright as a Wizard with nothing but problem-solving spells (stuff that isn't really combat-focused, but is more along the lines of "knowledge gathering, getting places, etc"). Enlightened Fist isn't a GREAT prestige class, but I'm guessing your group isn't really optimized, so it's not a huge deal.

Monk 2/Wizard 3/Enlightened Fist 10/Wizard +5 wouldn't be god awful really (you get 8th level spells after all). You would need your DM's permission to play an Enlightened Fist, but that shouldn't be super hard to get. At level 4, add your stat boost to Int, get some Int boosting Items, ask your DM to retrain your Dex into Int or something, just for those extra few points (it's not a major deal, be respectful, explain you want to change stuff for the good of the group, and he may be very receptive to the idea).

Alternative idea: Go Cleric. Take the Magic/Knowledge Domains. Grab Sacred Fist from Complete Divine (again, ask nicely). Monk 2/Cleric 3/Sacred Fist 10/Cleric +5 is a fairly reasonable build, gets you 8th level divine casting, makes you very useful, and you're probably not going to overlap with the current Cleric, since you're grabbing the support domains of Magic/Knowledge. Just another thought. :smallwink:

QuantumSteve
2010-06-21, 01:08 PM
PF Dragon Disciple is actually pretty decent and makes for an OK Gish. 14 Cha isn't that bad for a Sorc. (It isn't that good either) Your saves would be a little on the low side, but focusing on no-save spells and buffs solves that.

The only thing you need arcane casters for anyway is to deal with threats you fighter can't hit. Flying/Invisible/Ethereal etc. So even a Caster so focused as this should be able to do that.

Typewriter
2010-06-21, 01:27 PM
I recently played a monk in pathfinder who specialized in disarm and the feat scorpion style(http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#scorpion-style).

I would charge someone and charlie horse them, disarm them, and then chuck their weapon far away(or just hold onto it, and charlie kick when my hands filled up). With their speed down they basically just meandered around while I ran back and forth across the field keeping anyone from being able to reach the casters/archers in the party.

I also eventually took a level of shadowdancer which made it a bit easier to disarm (no dex to CMB), plus no worrying about attacks of opportunity.

The character himself didn't do a lot of damage, but he made it impossible for anyone to bother the other characters.

QuantumSteve
2010-06-21, 02:18 PM
'snip

I like that. I like it a lot. (Like your Avie, too)

Jarveiyan
2010-06-21, 04:35 PM
If I do decide to prestige as Enlightened Fist(which I have considered) has anyone figured out how to change the PrC to conform more to PF? I don't think the PrC has enough oomph to be PF worthy. I was thinking maybe let it add to monk levels for the purposes of ki points and maneuver training?

Hendel
2010-06-21, 04:44 PM
I am in a PF game where the DM is allowing only PF classes, feats, PrCs, etc.

I have a monk that has dipped into sorcerer just to get a few spells like mage armor and shield (it is a low magic game). As a monk with a good dexterity, you would be better with ranged touch attacks. That way you get around not having the Cha to make the save DC decent.

However, I think PF favors not multi-classing if you are playing it without any interference from 3.5 D&D.

arguskos
2010-06-21, 05:00 PM
If I do decide to prestige as Enlightened Fist(which I have considered) has anyone figured out how to change the PrC to conform more to PF? I don't think the PrC has enough oomph to be PF worthy. I was thinking maybe let it add to monk levels for the purposes of ki points and maneuver training?
Viable. This is where I'd go to your DM and say "hey, Mr. DM Guy, I want to play this, but it's a little weak. Can you help me maybe get it more in line with things for PF?"

I personally would crib from the Ninja (Complete Adventurer) for class features. Maybe automatically enhance your unarmed strikes ala Kensai as well. Something decent to boost the class, as it is very unexciting.

Jarveiyan
2010-06-21, 09:21 PM
I've decided that if we can't convince the player playing the sorceress to come back I'll muliclass as a sorcerer, then prestige as a dragon disciple. I comvinced my DM to let me switch 1 point from my con to cha.

Adonis (CR2) XP:1406
Male human monk 2
LG Medium humanoid
Init +2; Senses Perception +8
Languages Common, Elven

AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 13 (+2 Dex, +1 dodge, +3 Wis)
hp 20 (2 HD)
Resist evasion
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +6

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee masterwork nunchaku +4 (1d6+2/x2)
Melee unarmed +3 (1d6+2/x2)
Base Atk +1; CMB +3, CMD 18

Abilities Str 15 Dex 15 Con 16 Int 13 Wis 16 Cha 15
Feats Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows<human>, Dodge<mnk 2>, Improved Grapple<mnk 1>, Stunning Fist<mnk 1>
Skills Acrobatics +6(1rnk), Climb +6(1rnk), Escape Artist +6(1rnk), Intimidate +6(1rnk), Knowledge(history/religion)
+5/+6(1/2rnks), Perception +8(2rnks), Profession(cook) +7(1rnk), Ride +6(1rnk), Sense Motive +8(2rnks), Stealth +8(2rnks), Swim +6(1rnk)
Possessions backpack, bedroll, winter blanket, flint and steel, small steel mirror, belt pouch, 7 days of trail rations, 2lb of soap, waterskin, bullseye lantern w/9 pints of oil
Wealth 17 copper pieces, 9 silver pieces, 10 gold pieces

18 yrs-old 5'10" 150 lbs. brown eyes black hair tanned skin

Build - mnk 2 / sor 8 / dd 10 -
monk1 - combat reflexes deflect arrows
monk2 - <dodge>
sorcerer1 - defensive combat training <eschew materials>
sorcerer2 - +1 int
sorcerer3 - spell penetration/arcane strike
dragondisciple1
dragondisciple2 - leadership/stealthy <toughness>, (+2 str)
dragondisciple3 - +1 cha
dragondisciple4 - spellcasting prodify (sorcerer), (+2 str)
dragondisciple5 - <skill focus (fly)>
dragondisciple6 - arcane strike/superior unarmed strike, (+2 con)
dragondisciple7 - +1 cha
dragondisciple8 - greater spell penetration/improved natural attack <improved initiative>, (+2 int)
dragondisciple9
dragondisciple10 - lightning reflexes
sorcerer4 - +1 cha
sorcerer5 - great fortitude
sorcerer6
sorcerer7 - magical aptitude <skill focus (knowledge[arcana])>
sorcerer8 - +1 dex

/ - I'm going to pick one of the feats presneted here, for the spell penetration progression and arcane strike it depends on which one I pick the first time.