PDA

View Full Version : Best 3.5 Sorc/Wizard spells for digging a ditch (among other things)

Talbot
2010-06-21, 04:19 AM
So I'm playing a Factotum (level 14), and I have a plan I want to use... however, I need two things first.

1) A good spell for digging a reasonably large pit/ditch reasonably quickly (preferably in less than three or four hours).

and

2) The best possible spell for interrupting (via readied action) another spellcaster's casting without killing them (currently leaning towards Baleful Polymorph, but don't like it 'cause it eats up my level 5 slot).

PId6
2010-06-21, 04:59 AM
1. Disintegrate is the fastest route. Summon Monster III (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonmonsteriii.htm) for Celestial Dire Badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBadger.htm) also works.

2. Depending on the spell, something that blocks LoE works. Popping a Wall of Stone/Force between you and the spellcaster right as they cast the spell would usually stop it from working. If it's a targeted spell, good ol' Glitterdust shuts it down fast. It even inflicts 50% miss chance for ranged touch spells. Finally, non-lethal amounts of damage would do it too. You can either use a spell that deals enough damage to disrupt but not kill, or use actual nonlethal damage spells (found in PHB2).

And there's always counterspelling.

Kantolin
2010-06-21, 05:05 AM
For 2, does subdual damage count?

Assuming that's not how you want to roll, though, look at Hesitate (or possibly its lower level cousin Stay the Hand) from the PHB2. Technically don't fit your criteria as you don't need to ready an action to do them, but hey - if it's an offensive spell, there's your pick.

Any incapacitating spell (Sleep, Hold Person) also would work.

Niezck
2010-06-21, 05:24 AM
If they're casing a targeted spell at you, look into Wings of Cover from Races of the Dragon. It's an immediate action to block LoE for one attack/spell.

Cyclocone
2010-06-21, 05:24 AM
So I'm playing a Factotum (level 14), and I have a plan I want to use... however, I need two things first.

1) A good spell for digging a reasonably large pit/ditch reasonably quickly (preferably in less than three or four hours).

Move Earth? Pretty much what it's made for.

Talbot
2010-06-21, 05:27 AM
Move Earth? Pretty much what it's made for.

Can't use it till level 15, though. May need to enact this plan before I have time to level.

Regarding the Badger and/or disintegrate, how big of a hole could it dig how quickly? I'm looking for as deep as possible, ideally about eight feet wide.

Regarding the spells for interrupting the other spellcaster, I'd prefer something that doesn't target Will... I'm fairly confident my target is going to have a high Will save. Anything non-fatal is ideal, fatal options are... technically options, but not plan A.

PId6
2010-06-21, 05:34 AM
Can't use it till level 15, though. May need to enact this plan before I have time to level.

Regarding the Badger and/or disintegrate, how big of a hole could it dig how quickly? I'm looking for as deep as possible, ideally about eight feet wide.
Disintegrate gets you a 10-ft cube out of any material as a standard action.

Dire Badgers can burrow into any material softer than solid rock. They leave tunnels 5 ft in diameter and have a speed of 10 ft. Each round means two move actions which means 20 ft deep, and they last CL rounds. If you must have it at a certain width, you can cast two SMIIIs and that should be enough for a wider hole.

I'm curious, what are these for?

Regarding the spells for interrupting the other spellcaster, I'd prefer something that doesn't target Will... I'm fairly confident my target is going to have a high Will save. Anything non-fatal is ideal, fatal options are... technically options, but not plan A.
Scorching Ray is pretty good for that, as long as they have a decent HP value. Dropping a Solid Fog into them as they start casting can work, if the spell requires LoS (like all targeted spells). Bigby's Striking Fist (PHB2) can work by dealing nonlethal damage.

Cyclocone
2010-06-21, 05:46 AM

Move Earth is 6th level, same as Disintegrate.
That being said, you're probably better of with the badgers.

As for 2) how about Stinking Cloud?

Talbot
2010-06-21, 05:49 AM
Disintegrate gets you a 10-ft cube out of any material as a standard action.

Dire Badgers can burrow into any material softer than solid rock. They leave tunnels 5 ft in diameter and have a speed of 10 ft. Each round means two move actions which means 20 ft deep, and they last CL rounds. If you must have it at a certain width, you can cast two SMIIIs and that should be enough for a wider hole.

I'm curious, what are these for?

Trying to ambush a powerful spellcaster (probably a cleric, can't know for sure) and her bodyguard, which is some sort of scary platinum golem I know I can't take straight up. Current plan is to drop the golem into a really deep pit and use my extra actions to take the spellcaster out of the fight before she does anything terrible to me.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-21, 07:17 AM
Heroes of Battle has the perfect spell: Battlefield Fortification. It digs a ditch in a few rounds. Page 125, 4th level.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-21, 07:21 AM

A Dire Badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBadger.htm) "usually leaves behind a usable tunnel 5 feet in diameter when burrowing"

So you may want two.

As for the stop spell...

Try Stinking Cloud (Fort Save or suck HARD, blocks Line of Sight) or Web (Reflex save or suck, blocks line of sight). If they're not using area spells (and don't have a way to see that doesn't rely on line-of-sight), either of those will foil it, no save. For that matter, so will Obscuring Mist. You have to be able to see someone to target them in the traditional sense.

gbprime
2010-06-21, 11:58 AM
Lesser Planar Binding, for all your utility needs. Call up something and force it to dig for a week, then let it go.

Of course, to be safe, you'll need more than just the one spell. :smallbiggrin:

mostlyharmful
2010-06-21, 12:59 PM
animate dead, control undead and a paticularlly disliked grandparent... the eternal ditch digger!

Snake-Aes
2010-06-21, 01:06 PM
Can't use disintegrate till 15, right? :(
A summon IV to get 1d3 celestial dire badgers for 14 rounds...waaaaaay more than enough to dig your hole.