PDA

View Full Version : Non-broken spells to persist

Gnaritas
2010-06-21, 05:19 AM
For a DMM-Cleric and a Incantatrix i am building i am looking for interesting spells to persist. Preferably spells that (when persisted) do not turn out to powerful, rather fun, flavorful or strange.

Example: Greater Dimension Door
You can teleport short distances continiously, while this has it's uses, it is defenitely not that powerful for a 5th level persist spell. It can however create a strange character jumping from one place to the other during a conversation.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-21, 05:22 AM
Prestidigitation. Makes sure you're always clean, your food is always warm and spiced, and there'll alwats be an appropriately dramatic wind on your hair and cloak for dramatic entrances.

PId6
2010-06-21, 05:27 AM
Dragon Breath (SpC) - Gives you a dragon breath. Fun.

Gets even better if you combine it with modifying spells like Blinding Breath/Dispelling Breath, but those tend to be sor/wiz only.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-21, 05:30 AM
I'll be the one to go out on a limb and say Divine Power. Is it high end? Very much so. But I don't feel it's in the realm of the over powered on its own, just the very very good.

Killer Angel
2010-06-21, 05:52 AM
For a DMM-Cleric and a Incantatrix i am building i am looking for interesting spells to persist. Preferably spells that (when persisted) do not turn out to powerful, rather fun, flavorful or strange.

For the DMM cleric: Bless.
It's definitely not powerful and very often will be surpassed by greater morale bonuses, but 24/day you can say: "The blessing of my God, is ALWAYS on me"

Curmudgeon
2010-06-21, 06:02 AM
How about Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm)? You'd be vulnerable only to force effects and abjurations, but wouldn't have much offensive capability. You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone. But you can move freely through material objects, and see (within 60') on the Material Plane. Great for snooping.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-21, 07:16 AM
You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone.
Uh, ghost touch works for incorporeal creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype). Not ethereal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness). Though they share some similarities from the perspective of a person on the Material Plane, they are not the same thing.

Gnaritas
2010-06-21, 07:52 AM
Prestidigitation. Makes sure you're always clean, your food is always warm and spiced, and there'll alwats be an appropriately dramatic wind on your hair and cloak for dramatic entrances.

How did i miss this! :smallsmile:

Dragon Breath (SpC) - Gives you a dragon breath. Fun.

Gets even better if you combine it with modifying spells like Blinding Breath/Dispelling Breath, but those tend to be sor/wiz only.

Nice, i like this one since i was considering a elemental theme.

I'll be the one to go out on a limb and say Divine Power. Is it high end? Very much so. But I don't feel it's in the realm of the over powered on its own, just the very very good.

This is one of the more obvious choices. I might take it, but i cant really get any fun out of it except being better.

For the DMM cleric: Bless.
It's definitely not powerful and very often will be surpassed by greater morale bonuses, but 24/day you can say: "The blessing of my God, is ALWAYS on me"

only 24 times per day?

How about Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm)? You'd be vulnerable only to force effects and abjurations, but wouldn't have much offensive capability. You'd need to get a ghost touch weapon just to be able to attack someone. But you can move freely through material objects, and see (within 60') on the Material Plane. Great for snooping.

That should make an interesting character, too high level for me now, but i will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the responses so far.

2xMachina
2010-06-21, 08:02 AM
24 hours per day.

balistafreak
2010-06-21, 10:05 AM
Ice axe gives you an axe. Made out of ice. Deals a preposterous amount of cold damage as a melee touch attack (2d12 + 1/2 casterlevel, IIRC). Best part? It disappears anytime you're holding onto somethig else/doing something else. You can cast a spell with a shield, having this disappear while you make somatic gestures in your weapon hand, only to have it reappear for an AoO.

Better yet, claim you're unarmed, then ice axe someone in the head the moment their back turns.

Cloud of knives lets you shoot a knife dealing 1d6 + 1/3 caster level (again, IIRC) at a target within 30 feet every round. As a free action.

Ring of blades surrounds you with swords that deal 1d6 + caster level at the beginning of your turn. Might make certain non-combat situations awkward though. (For that matter, same with cloud of knives.)

My personal favorite: channeled divine shield. Normally a 1 round/lvl duration, if you take two full-round actions to cast it, you get DR 10/evil. Normally this spell is fairly useless due to the idiocy of spending two full-round actions to cast a spell during/right before combat, especially one with so short a duration.

Persist it at the beginning of the day and laugh as (a great deal of) enemy attacks bounce off your skin.

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 10:20 AM
This is one of the more obvious choices. I might take it, but i cant really get any fun out of it except being better.

Can't get fun out of it??? It gives more attacks! You roll dice more! :smalltongue:

Critical
2010-06-21, 10:29 AM
Produce Flame. Flower Power!

Lhurgyof
2010-06-22, 01:48 PM
Spell flower? So you can hold the charge of a spell in each hand.

Seffbasilisk
2010-06-22, 02:05 PM
I had a Cleric Archer with DMM Persist. I like Divine Agility. +10 enhancement to Dex, so no gloves/weak buffs needed.

Gnaritas
2010-06-22, 02:07 PM
Could you give examples on what to do once i have casted Spell Flower? I am kind of thinking on situations where this is usefull and maybe i am not understanding the spell correctly.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-22, 02:08 PM
Cloud of knives lets you shoot a knife dealing 1d6 + 1/3 caster level (again, IIRC) at a target within 30 feet every round. As a free action.

Ring of blades surrounds you with swords that deal 1d6 + caster level at the beginning of your turn. Might make certain non-combat situations awkward though. (For that matter, same with cloud of knives.)

Hey, being surrounded by flying bits of metal is a really cool image, and they're "may" effects, not "have to" effects. If I could find a way to do it, I'd definitely persist these two spells all the time, and then take a bunch of other 'flying bits of metal' spells (and maybe City Spell metamagic and Spell Thematics). Don't forget that you can use Smiting Spell and Chain Spell metamagics with cloud of knives: GMW knifecloud? That has on-hit spell effects? Sweet.

Gametime
2010-06-22, 03:01 PM
Ice axe gives you an axe. Made out of ice. Deals a preposterous amount of cold damage as a melee touch attack (2d12 + 1/2 casterlevel, IIRC). Best part? It disappears anytime you're holding onto somethig else/doing something else. You can cast a spell with a shield, having this disappear while you make somatic gestures in your weapon hand, only to have it reappear for an AoO.

It doesn't add your strength to damage, though, which might influence what other spells you choose to Persist. Still a nice weapon.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-22, 05:01 PM
Detect Magic and Arcane Sight can be useful - locate magical traps and treasure without a roll. But it also makes you "sensitive to magic" and always able to tell when they're magic around (unless it is hidden (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) of course).

See Invisibility is similar, but mostly just protects you against a few highly specific things.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-22, 05:04 PM
If you feel like being a meleemonster, you could persist girallon's blessing, charge of the triceratops, and bite of the weretiger. Ridiculous stat bonuses, Power Attack for free, +4 Natural Armor, four claw attacks with attached rending, a gore attack that deals extra if you charge, and a bite attack. Om nom nom, predation.

Felyndiira
2010-06-22, 07:57 PM
So, um, how did you get greater dimension door onto the Cleric's spell list =p?

I'd consider Divine Power to not be overpowered (as long as you don't go ahead and persist Righteous Might, Avatar, and everything else as well). Otherwise, I'm fond of the following:

Holy Star: Gives you an AC bonus, or just shoots out max 10d6 (maximize and heighten for 90, and apply other metamagicks as your capability allows) as a range touch attack anytime during its 24 hour duration. If you want to really get cheap, add energy sub and born of three thunders (if your DM allows it).

Infernal Transformation: Pretty much what it says on the tin, although don't go to town with it.

Lhurgyof
2010-06-22, 09:02 PM
You can use spell flower to cast say, two Inflict Critical Wounds, and hold the charge of one in one hand, and the other in the other hand, walk up and bazam!
So with any touch spells that let you hold the charge, this one lets you cast an additional spell while holding said charge. Useful if you need to keep a heal on hand- literally.

herrhauptmann
2010-06-22, 10:46 PM
Thunderhead.
1/round, a lightning bolt deals 1 point of damage to teh target. (SC) Reflex save each round to avoid getting zapped.
There's 86400 seconds in a day, so that's 14400 rounds.

PId6
2010-06-22, 10:50 PM
Thunderhead.
1/round, a lightning bolt deals 1 point of damage to teh target. (SC) Reflex save each round to avoid getting zapped.
Close range, so you'd need Ocular Spell to make that Persistable. Plus, rolling all those Ref saves will drive somebody insane.

Creeping Cold is so much better if you're going that route.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-22, 10:53 PM
Thunderhead.

No no. You only use this for emo or depressed characters. That's the entire idea.

Ask your DM to fluff it so that it randomly makes rainshowers on your head as well.:smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-23, 01:22 AM
Thunderhead.

That would be good if you were trying to torture somebody.

"Look, you'd better talk. I can keep this up all day."

PId6
2010-06-23, 01:26 AM
That would be good if you were trying to torture somebody.

"Look, you'd better talk. I can keep this up all day."
I imagine that will start backfiring when they realize you can't actually stop it from going all day.

Sliver
2010-06-23, 01:34 AM
Can you persist Divine Retaliation? (PHBII) Because that is some solid spell, having your deity's weapon constantly hovering next to you. I like it's using Wisdom for attack and damage too..

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-23, 01:44 AM
Persisted Ray Deflection isn't going to shatter the world, but it will protect you against other Incantatars when you do end up shattering the world.

PId6
2010-06-23, 01:44 AM
Can you persist Divine Retaliation? (PHBII) Because that is some solid spell, having your deity's weapon constantly hovering next to you. I like it's using Wisdom for attack and damage too..
Yes, in fact it's eminently Persistable. It's be extremely fun to Persist a bunch of these at a time. Works almost as well as Streamers for the "each time you hit me, I hit you eightfold" feel.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-23, 01:58 AM
I imagine that will start backfiring when they realize you can't actually stop it from going all day.

But you don't have to keep zapping stuff, do you? :smallconfused:

lsfreak
2010-06-23, 01:59 AM
But you don't have to keep zapping stuff, do you? :smallconfused:

The spell is targeted, so it's persisted on that-person-over-there-that-I-aimed-the-spell-at, not me-who-can-now-shoot-lightning-every-round.

Of course, they may well not know that, and there's always dispelling.

Knaight
2010-06-23, 02:21 AM

Ignoring the previous point that a ghost touch wouldn't work, transdimensional spell would. This makes you very powerful.