PDA

View Full Version : Good Feat for an Item-Creating/Buffing Artificer?

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-21, 05:36 AM
I have a level 5 warforged artificer I'm making for an all-warforged party (bard 3/crusader 1/warblade 1 focusing on inspire courage and white raven, druid 5 who focuses on buffing his baby living construct t-rex animal companion, and swordsage 1/factotum 3/swordsage 1 who hits hard from the shadows using shadow hand and desert wind), and he's going to be staying way out of combat (though he does have a 9 HD warbeast polar bear pulling his little red wagon). Instead, he'll avoid directly engaging foes and will be crafting for the party's needs, trapfinding as a secondary "rogue," and using tricks to buff his party from afar with a bow and infusion-enabled spell-storing aurorum dye arrows (touch attack, deal no damage, but splatter paint all over them along with a buff, especially once I have access to unfettered heroism).

Thing is, Legendary Artisan is virtually useless to me at this level. Due to having the Tools of War ACF (1 craft point counts as 2 XP when crafting for constructs), I have far more crafting points than I can use with the gold I have available, even after having taken Extraordinary Artisan. Otherwise, I have Favored In House (as a bonus feat at 1st level), Extraordinary Artisan (to stretch my gold reserves), and Extend Spell (as my 4th level bonus feat). I also grabbed the Infuse Self ACF from Races of Eberron and (of course) Tools of War.

Now, I have access to the Core 3, the Eberron books, all the Dragon-themed books (Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, Dragon Magic, and - despite not being themed - The Dragon Compendium), The Arms & Equipment Guide, the PHB II, ToB, and the Complete Series. Is there anything I can replace Legendary Artisan with to vastly stretch my gp reserves somewhere in those sources? I'd take Apprentice: Craftsman, but it's in a disallowed source (DMG II). An extra 10% gp discount would be a godsend, but alas.

So, any ideas, gentlefolks? Any crafting guides to help me out? Google hasn't been very helpful today.

PId6
2010-06-21, 05:50 AM
Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0)

Too bad no Faerun material. Mercantile Background and Magical Artisan can both really help.

Glancing through the handbook, I don't think there's anything in the allowed sources that would do it, besides cheesy reductions based on restricting usage to those of your class/alignment/skill/etc. I may have missed something though.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-21, 01:09 PM
Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0)

Too bad no Faerun material. Mercantile Background and Magical Artisan can both really help.

Glancing through the handbook, I don't think there's anything in the allowed sources that would do it, besides cheesy reductions based on restricting usage to those of your class/alignment/skill/etc. I may have missed something though.The DM approved Magical Artisan, so I do believe that my 3rd level feat will be Magical Artisan (Wondrous Items) to knock the XP and GP cost down by another 25% on top of Extraordinary Artisan and the Tools of War ACF (which halves XP cost for construct stuff).

Level 6 will be Legendary Artisan, then level 9 will be Magical Artisan (Arms & Armor), then 12 will likely be Magical Artisan (Scrolls), since I'll probably be making a lot of those by then.

Thanks!

[edit] Though I need to find a way to get Craft Construct temporarily, for my dedicated wright. Hmm. Time to find an NPC with the Craft Construct feat, or another 4th level artificer.

[edit] Well, now that I've managed to build my wright, and recalculated the cost on all my stuff, I need to find some really cheap ways to boost my archery accuracy. I know there's masterwork bow, and I could potentially get bow proficiency with lesser bracers of archery, but I'd like to get some cheap nonmagical bonuses to stack for archery accuracy (like sniper's scopes, etc). Anyone know of any?