PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space: How scary is it

Lord Loss
2010-06-21, 08:07 AM
I'm probably going to be getting Dead Space soon. Before I do so, however, I was wondering how scary it was and how old you need to be to play it. I'm 14 but I watch lots of horror movies and don't scare easily. is it too scary for me?

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-21, 10:25 AM
I'm probably going to be getting Dead Space soon. Before I do so, however, I was wondering how scary it was and how old you need to be to play it. I'm 14 but I watch lots of horror movies and don't scare easily. is it too scary for me?

Well, I'm also 14, and scare fairly easily, but I didn't feel scared at any point in Dead Space.

Ilena
2010-06-21, 10:28 AM
It creeped me out and suprised me, but crawl under my bed and never come out no ... aliens did that :P

Domochevsky
2010-06-21, 10:45 AM
Hm, it isn't so much "creepy" as it is "gory". If you're scared by loads of graphical gore (including Isaac if you mess up) then yes, this will be scary/disturbing. Other than that, no.

SuperMuldoon
2010-06-21, 11:18 AM
There are some scary areas, which are dark and full of hiding places. Then things jump out. Sure its scary, in that tense waiting for everything to start going crazy way, but I don't think you'll lose sleep over it. Great game though.

Lord Loss
2010-06-22, 05:05 AM
Thx. Sounds like I'll be getting it, then!

Yora
2010-06-22, 08:42 AM
Well, I'm also 14, and scare fairly easily, but I didn't feel scared at any point in Dead Space.
I'm 26 and easily scared, so much I can't play FEAR or Silent Hill, even though I want to. But Dead Space never got really scary.
But you should probably play it on hard dificulty. On normal the game is so easy that you never really have to fear that the monsters overwhelm you. You got a big fun, lots of ammo, and slow moving monsters. There's nothing to fear, you have everything perfectly under control.
If you play it on hard, I think the monster could appear far more threatening.

Lord Loss
2010-06-22, 09:25 AM
Silent Hill homecoming didn't scare me in the least. Does this mean Dead Space won't, either?

(although gore does freak me out at times so i may be in for a scare)

Alex Knight
2010-06-22, 04:10 PM
Dead Space has gore. Lots of it. When the game talks about "Strategic dismemberment", it's not kidding around. Body shots don't work, you need to remove limbs and heads.

The environment getting progressively more organic sure doesn't help matters.

Lord Loss
2010-06-22, 05:59 PM
Dead Space has gore. Lots of it. When the game talks about "Strategic dismemberment", it's not kidding around. Body shots don't work, you need to remove limbs and heads.

The environment getting progressively more organic sure doesn't help matters.

That's why i'm getting the game. Finally something that'll scare me :smallamused:.

toasty
2010-06-22, 08:30 PM
Haha I hate Horror and I tried this game and I didn't like it at all.

I will say however that the music was the scariest part of the game, really, nothing else was really scary.

Garland
2010-06-22, 09:48 PM
It's more of "closet monsters" jumping out to get a surprise scare like Resident Evil than "real scary" like some Silent Hills.

Maxymiuk
2010-06-22, 09:59 PM
I will say however that the music was the scariest part of the game, really, nothing else was really scary.

I'll second the musical stings being effective. Other than that, I was able to pretty much call when and where the next enemy would pop out of. The game was so formulaic, there was next to no suspense.

Mewtarthio
2010-06-22, 10:51 PM
I played like one and a half levels of the game, then sold it and never looked back. There's nothing remotely scary about it. Sure, the dismembered corpses you have to fight are creepy, but that doesn't make the game terrifying at all. The "limb shots" system takes a lot away from the game: It makes it so you have to learn to calm down and aim carefully in every encounter, which in turn kills any tension the encounters could generate. The game tries to make things surprising on you with the "They can come from anywhere!" spiel, but you very quickly learn that they come from the vents, so it's easy to tell where enemies spawn from.

Aside from the gameplay, the plot's not scary at all, either. The "necromorphs" are no longer recognizably human, so the idea of men becoming monsters that usually gives me chills falls flat. The story seems to be just a standard "miners unearthed Something That Should Not Be" plot--Granted, I'm told that there's more to it than that, and there seems to be some hints of transhumanism in a few of the logs I read, but I believe a horror story should hook you faster than that. (Also, transhumanism is probably the worst philosophy you can ever give a horror villain: It makes the audience just roll their eyes and shout, "Really, game? You mean maybe it's a bad idea to turn ourselves into flesh-eating zombie horrors? I had no idea!").

In short: If you want anything more than cheap gross-out horror, Dead Space is not the game for you.

GolemsVoice
2010-06-23, 12:11 AM
I was quite horrified by Afraid of Monsters, the Half Life 1 mod. Dang that is creepy! And I was 16 at the time I played that.

Though, I don't know, it might just be German laws being stricter than elsewhere, but should you really play a game featuring brutal dismemberment at the age of 14?

Avilan the Grey
2010-06-23, 01:29 AM
I have only watched it being played, not actually played it, but to me it seems it suffers from DOOM 3 symptom: After being creeped out and scared the first half of the first level, you learn very quickly when and where monsters will jump out at you. And then it stops being scary.

Lord Loss
2010-06-23, 05:57 AM
So... is it scarier than silent hill homecoming?

Alex Knight
2010-06-27, 06:18 AM
Honestly, what's scary isn't the monsters (aside from evil tentacle babies), but it's the constant whispering in the background for me. Sometimes I think I can understand what they're saying..and then I hope I'm wrong.

Maxymiuk
2010-06-27, 06:26 AM
The evil tentacle babies would be far scarier if they acted in any way similar to the one that serves as an introduction to that enemy type (i.e. agile little buggers that crawl along the walls and attack quickly and from unexpected angles). In my experience they just crawl along the ground, stop ten or so feet away from you, wave their tendrils at you threateningly, then lose them all to one shot from the line gun.

If they at least tried to swarm me or something... ehhh.

2010-06-27, 04:07 PM
"Really, game? You mean maybe it's a bad idea to turn ourselves into flesh-eating zombie horrors? I had no idea!"
do you have something against flesh eating zombie horrors? if so, we may have a problem. zombie bigot!

and fourteen is more than old enough for animated dismemberment, almost old enough to watch the non-animated kind.

Mewtarthio
2010-06-27, 10:37 PM
and fourteen is more than old enough for animated dismemberment, almost old enough to watch the non-animated kind.

By "non-animated kind," you mean "live action movies and/or television shows," right?

Lycan 01
2010-06-27, 11:01 PM
Youtube some of the death scenes. Some are kinda cool, others are downright disturbing. They're all gory.

It really just depends on if you want to be scared or not. If you want to be scared, play it in the dark and allow yourself to be immersed by the atmosphere. Don't play music or anything - just focus on the game, and take in every detail, like the bloody handwritten notes on the walls or the echoing noises in the air vents at the end of the hall. It can get to you if you let it. But likewise, if you keep yourself distracted or just treat it like its a game and nothing more, you won't be scared.

I watched my roommate play the first few levels. He could only play it for small amounts of time, since it actually creeped him out, and its very hard for a game to do that to him. Eventually he got stuck, and found that to be the perfect excuse to return the game to the person he borrowed it from. :smalltongue:

Tren
2010-06-27, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I played the game in the dark with the volume at a decent level, and I found the whole atmosphere immensely creepy. The monster encounters themselves were a bit on the "LOUD NOISE JUMP OUT" side, but the environment and the ambiance of the game really grabbed me.

DranWork
2010-06-27, 11:16 PM
Its not Scary at all sadly. :smallannoyed:

infact the only thing that was scary for me was how bad some of the level design was, or the constant repeated "monster jumps from here". Also being a pc gamer and not a consol gamer i was horrified at the controls... but thats more my problem then the games I believe.

Another_Poet
2010-06-29, 10:59 AM
Occasionally things jump out of nowhere and startle you.

If you can handle that, and if you're used to the amount of gore in normal first-person shooters, there's nothing in Dead Space that's going to leave you having nightmares.