PDA

View Full Version : Name That Creature

big teej
2010-06-21, 10:37 AM
I'm reading through my copy of the DMG, and while reading through the dungeon section. inspiration struck.

first, some backstory
a week or so ago, I accidentally killed my friend's paladin with an evil gnome with a ballista (solo campaign, so being dead, that story is over, but i'll expand on it if you ask me too) anyways, long story short, I had given this paladin alot more magic and gear than would normally be approriate for starting at level one, it was after all, a solo campaign revolvin entirly around this paladin. it was also my world builder, unfortunately the aforementioned dead paladin died just outside the 2nd area he went too. but i digress, the point is i wish to use the cave he died in, i'm very continuity conscious, and i plan to leave his body there, along with his gear, for another group to find somewhere down the line. including the dead gnomes he killed before his armour was redecorated with a ballista bolt.

my base problem is this: I have a book around here somewhere (I cannot recall what it is named, but it was published by wotc, and was not a sourcebook, it simply had some nice fluff in it including pictures, description, and height weight etc) anyways, within this book was a giant worm like creature, or possibly more akin to a very LARGE and very FAT caterpillar. it was blue, and it sucked the magic out of items for sustenance.

NAME THAT CREATURE
I wish to use it for my dungeon.

thankyou in advance
i can describe what i remember of the creature further if necessary

Serpentine
2010-06-21, 10:39 AM
Oo! Oo! I know this one! Umm... To Crystalkeep! Hmm... Gravecrawler, MM2?

edit: Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, but it doesn't really fit your description.

Another_Poet
2010-06-21, 11:10 AM
I don't know so I am going to give it a name of my very own:

The MAGIPHAGE.

Of course if you say it out loud your players will never stop laughing so I would usse this carefully.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-21, 11:41 AM
Sort of an angry looking thing. Had a trident I think? Look in the faerun books.

MM2: Pg 167. The Ormyrr. They covet magical items.

unre9istered
2010-06-21, 11:58 AM
The Nishruu from Monsters of Faerūn eats magic, but looks nothing like a caterpillar. There's nothing in there that fits the OP's description.

The Tygre
2010-06-21, 12:16 PM
This feller here?;

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_98.jpg

Akal Saris
2010-06-21, 12:19 PM
The Ormyrr!

Seriously, I swear that was its name in one of the 2E monstrous compendiums.

Ninja'd: HOLY COW IT'S A NEW VERSION OF HIM AND I GOT THE NAME RIGHT!

big teej
2010-06-21, 12:56 PM
This feller here?;

CLOSE!!!

but the artwork in this book (which i'm still lookin for)
made it appear far more.... jovial...
or at least less angry

it looks ALOT like that though, that may be it.

think the caturpillar from 'a bugs life'.
and combine with the above image.

but until i find the book, this will suffice, i thankyou all

I'm kinda tempted to make a new thread with as similar title for people who have the same problem i do - finding a creature again, or putting a name to one-

HOWEVER, if anyone has any alternate suggestions to what this beastie is, please share them, we may stumble upon the exact artwork i saw

arguskos
2010-06-21, 12:58 PM
I thought it might be a Giant Velvet Worm, but they don't eat magic. You know, if you had the image or book name, this would be a LOT easier to figure out. :smalltongue:

big teej
2010-06-21, 01:01 PM
I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND THE BOOK!!!!

and the creature is.....
-drumroll-

AN ORMYRR!!!

the book is "a practical guide to monsters" it's a mirrorstone book and is a part of WOTC

Ormagoden
2010-06-21, 01:06 PM
This feller here?;

Watch out for the little dagger....didn't even see it did you?

big teej
2010-06-21, 05:21 PM
no as a matter of fact i didn't. :smalltongue: