PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge Glaivelock, viable?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:13 PM
I was planning a character for a game, and I came up with the idea to make a Glaivelock with some arcane support.

At the start an standar Warlock/Wiz Theurge/Hellfirelock seemed the way to go, but my BAB suffered and I would have to convince the DM to let me use the Precocious aprentice trick for early entry into eldritch theurge.

Then I though of using Suel Arcanamach, these give me a higher BAB, decent arcane spellcasting and I will only loose two levels of invoking if I go

Warlock 8/Suel Arcanamach 2/Eldritch Theurge 7/Hellfire Warlock 3

Which assuming fractional saves and BAB nets me 15 BAB 9/10 Suel Casting 18/20 Warlock invoking and the eldritch blast of a level 18 warlock (Hellfire blast not into account).
To get the required weapon proficiencies for Suel Arcanamach I plan on being an Aasimar or maybe a neraph.... (to abuse the outsider subtype with both proficiencies and alter self fun)

So what do you think/recomend about my plan?

Access to all 3.5 books, starting at ECL 6, maybe the DM will allow flaws, either 32 point buy, or all player's roll together to get a set of stats.

Thanks in advance

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 04:57 PM
If you are using PrecApr, could you get into ET with something like Warlock4/Wizard1/ET? You only need 5 levels to satisfy the skills for ET, and Warlock 4 gets you a Lesser Invocation and at least 2d6 EB, IIRC.

That has you only losing 2 BAB to get in, and gives you far better casting than Suel would. Don't get me wrong, I love Suel, but it doesn't fit well here.

If all else fails, it is a bit expensive, but Warlocks get UMD, so you could get a wand of Divine Powah for really big fights.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:59 PM
I though of using suel, because it is quite probable that the DM will say "hahaha NO" if I ask to use early entry... I will try though, I loose nothing considering I got the back up.

EvilJoe15
2010-06-21, 05:37 PM
If he says no to Precocious Apprentice, just slip in with Sanctum Spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 05:39 PM
probably the same response and maybe with a side dish of DMG to the head.

Also I am not sure that I understand the sanctum spell trick correctly and personally from what I can see I don't like it.

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 05:41 PM
Sanctum spells are considered to be 1 level higher than normal when in your sanctum and 1 level lower when you are not. Thus, in your sanctum, a 1st level Sanctum Magic Missile is considered in all ways to be a 2nd level spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 05:44 PM
Sanctum spells are considered to be 1 level higher than normal when in your sanctum and 1 level lower when you are not. Thus, in your sanctum, a 1st level Sanctum Magic Missile is considered a 2nd level spell.

Doesn't that means that I need to level up inside my sanctum? though OTOH this a setting where all landmass are floating above an endless sea and airships are the main if not only way of trasport between such landmass, so making our airship my sanctum would theoretically work....

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 05:46 PM
No. It shouldn't. You just theoretically need a sanctum, so theoretically if you were in that sanctum you could theoretically be able to cast a 2nd level spell. Whether or not you are able to cast a 2nd level spell at that exact moment is not relevant.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 05:49 PM
I see, I still think I'll recive the DMG to my head:smalltongue: so I think I will stick with my suel build.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 05:50 PM
No. It shouldn't. You just theoretically need a sanctum, so theoretically if you were in that sanctum you could theoretically be able to cast a 2nd level spell. Whether or not you are able to cast a 2nd level spell at that exact moment is not relevant.

Actually, it is. If you at any moment not qualify for a prestiege class you have levels in you lose all class features in said prestiege class. So using this for early entry, you would only have the PrC features in your sanctum...until you get 2nd level spells.

PId6
2010-06-21, 05:54 PM
Actually, it is. If you at any moment not qualify for a prestiege class you have levels in you lose all class features in said prestiege class. So using this for early entry, you would only have the PrC features in your sanctum...until you get 2nd level spells.
Being "able to cast X level spells" just requires that you're theoretically able to cast that level of spells at your current level. Otherwise you stop qualifying for all such PrCs whenever you run out of spell slots, become prevented from taking actions by some means, or fall asleep.

nedz
2010-06-21, 07:29 PM
If you are using PrecApr, could you get into ET with something like Warlock4/Wizard1/ET? You only need 5 levels to satisfy the skills for ET, and Warlock 4 gets you a Lesser Invocation and at least 2d6 EB, IIRC.

Actually you need 6 levels of Warlock for a Lesser Invocation; however ET only requires Least Invocations which you get at Warlock 1.
You would need Warlock 3 for the 2d6 EB.

Why has no one mentioned Precocious Apprentice ?

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 07:31 PM
Why has no one mentioned Precocious Apprentice ?

Keld did. 2nd post.

EDIT: You quoted him >_>