PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend of mine.

Ramza1987
2010-06-21, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine is that is going to play in the same campaign as the Kobold of my other post, likes the idea of a gish (i know...).

So i told her to play a Warblade/wizard and enter Jade phoenix mage, and maybe abjurant champion, but my questions are: Is that posible? Is that strong?
Is there anything better?

Greenish
2010-06-21, 05:08 PM
I don't remember all of your posts even if I've seen them, sorry.

Duskblade from PHBII is a ready-made gish.

Ramza1987
2010-06-22, 12:23 PM
Naaa, the fun is not being a duskblade.

Keld Denar
2010-06-22, 12:33 PM
Wizard4/Crusader1 is, IIRC, a pretty standard entry into JPM. Alternatively, Warblade, but that requires 2 feats. You often want to take the Martial Adept level last, as this gets you immediate access to 2nd level manevuers (like Emerald Razor or Mountain Hammer/Foehammer). If you don't mind having 1st level manevuers, puting the Martial Adept level first gives you more net HP, a plus for a gish.

Do note that Martial Adepts do not gain proficiency with ALL martial weapons, only melee and some thrown. That means that you can't get into PrCs like Eldritch Knight without some other shananigans.

Honestly, if you are a kobold, have her be a kobold too. Then build a standard Sorcadin (Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacEx8), take Dragonwraught and Draconic Reservoir, complete the Rite of Draconic Passage for the free sorcerer level, and take Rapid Strike (and Improved Rapid Strike) which you qualify for by virtue of being a Dragon. Use Knowledge Devotion and/or Arcane Strike and/or Divine Might as bonus damage to fuel your Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Bite routine. Not bad, and tough as nails if you pick mostly defensive oriented buffs like Greater Mirror Image and Dragon Skin.

Greenish
2010-06-22, 01:03 PM
Do note that Martial Adepts do not gain proficiency with ALL martial weapons, only melee and some thrown.Crusaders get ranged weapons too, I seem to recall.

Rapid Strike (and Improved Rapid Strike) which you qualify for by virtue of being a Dragon. Use Knowledge Devotion and/or Arcane Strike and/or Divine Might as bonus damage to fuel your Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Bite routine.I'm not sure if Rapidstrike gives an extra attack for both claws instead of just one.

"If you have a pair of natural weapons, such as two claws, two wings, or two slams, you can make one extra attack with one of those weapons at a -5 penalty."

So that would be "just" Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw/Bite. See if you can qualify for Dragon Tail, even though you're a dragon, not dragonblood.

Ramza1987
2010-06-22, 01:07 PM
Your idea for a kobold sorcadin is great, but she wants to be an elf (background reasons), and that combo, is a little too complicated for her as she is a little new to D&D.

Thanks for the ideas, what you told me about crusader/warblade entry to JPM is what i thought, at first, but my wuestion is, can she get 10 lvl of JPM and enter Abjurant champion?

Math_Mage
2010-06-22, 01:27 PM
If she is new to D&D, the "fun" of not being a Duskblade might not be so fun to her. It's not like she's had time to get bored with out-of-the-box classes. Do something simple.

Ramza1987
2010-06-22, 02:42 PM
i know, but she said duskblade doesn´t fit the concept well... So that is why im helping her look for other options.

Keld Denar
2010-06-22, 04:56 PM
Well, it takes you 5 levels to get into JPM, 10 levels to get through JPM, so that leaves you with 5 levels left over when you are done. AbjChamp is 5 levels long. So yes, you could.

Personally, I think that AbjChamp is stronger than JPM, so I'd try to get into that asap. You should have the BAB by Wizard4/Crusader1/JPM3, at which point I'd suggest hopping into AbjChamp for at least 4 levels (5th level is not so good, since you'll be nearly full CL, fuller than your BAB at least), then finish up JPM. From there, you can either take the last level of AbjChamp, or sacrifice one more BAB and take Wizard5 for the bonus feat. By then, you'll have already lost 5 BAB, losing out on your 4th iterative, one more point of BAB isn't gonna hurt you badly, and the bonus feat could be VERY tasty.

Ramza1987
2010-06-22, 05:27 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply, keep them coming, i will tell my friend the ideas you gave me.

Keld Denar
2010-06-22, 05:42 PM
As far as weapons, I'd recommend a 2hander, preferably with reach. Since you aren't a controller, I'd advise against spending a feat on a Spiked Chain. Get a Glaive. Glaives are stylish. Backup weapon should be Armor Spikes, if you are using a Mithril Breastplate, or something like a Weighted Cloak or Spiked Gauntlet (assuming your DM allows you to use your Spiked Gauntlet hand to hold your Glaive).

Spells will vary by level, but I'd suggest limiting on the nuke spells. Whirling Blade (CArc or SpC) is an amazing ranged spell, since it allows you bring your increased martial prowass into play at range. You can Power Attack through your Whirling Blade, you can use your JPM's Arcane Strike through your Whirling Blade, basically anything you can do in melee, you can do through your Whirling Blade.

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting a +1 Spellstoring weapon ASAP. Alternatively, a +1 Bloodstone (MIC) weapon with Vampiric Touch. Eventually, get a +1 Spellstoring Bloodstone weapon. This would allow you to discharge 2 Vampiric Touches (or one Vamp Touch and one other spell...Combust works nicely). It just gives you a bit more nova powah.

A nice Gishy survivability feat is when you get 4th level spells, take the feat Minor Shapeshift (CMage). It gives you a pool of temp HP equal to your character level as a swift action. Just keep a Polymorph (or Trollshape, if your DM banned Polymorph) memorized and every time you get hit, you can refresh those temp HP to effectively "heal" yourself. That, along with some form of miss chance from a spell (like (Greater) Mirror Image or (Greater) Blinking), makes you REALLY hard to kill without high burst damage and True Sight.

Ramza1987
2010-06-30, 01:36 AM
I thought it up, and i think that Warblade1/wizard5/JPM2/AbCh4/JPM8 will be good enough for her; there she will have:
-Bab:+17 (1WarBlade, +10 JPM, +4 Abjurant Champion, +2 Wizard).
-Caster lvl: 17 (5 wizard, 8 JPM, 4 Aburant Champion
[CL 20 with practiced spellcaster])
-Lvl 9 spells to have fun with.
-Initiator lvl 14 (warblade 1, 10 JPM).

I think that is enough, she will have plenty of options between spells and maneuvers, a decent Base attack bonus, all the iterative attacks, and lvl 9 spells.

What can you tell me about feats?