PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Holy Warrior, Paladin Alternative Class Doubt

Wermus
2010-06-21, 04:30 PM
(Hello! 'm a friend of Wermus and 'm using his account without his knowledge, shhh!)

The Alternative Class Feature named Holy Warrior in Complete Champion (page 49) says I lose spellcasting from Paladin class and access to magic items (specifices wands and scrolls) and I gain some feats. These "magicless" includes +1 Weapons/Armors and Gloves of Dexterity and such?

Thank you!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:34 PM
No that means you now no longer can use scrolls or wands of paladin spells, you are still able to use normal magic items.

Frosty
2010-06-21, 04:36 PM
No that means you now no longer can use scrolls or wands of paladin spells, you are still able to use normal magic items.
Addendum: You still CAN use said scrolls and wands...but you have to succeed on a Use Magic Device check just like with any other similar magic item.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 04:39 PM
Beware, it's a bad trade.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:39 PM
Addendum: You still CAN use said scrolls and wands...but you have to succeed on a Use Magic Device check just like with any other similar magic item.

I stand corrected..... I knew I was forgettting something important >_<

Wermus
2010-06-21, 04:43 PM
Beware, it's a bad trade.

Wisdom is 8, so maybe is not that bad?

The rest, thanks a lot <3

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:46 PM
Ummm isn't wisdom the backbone of almost all paladin abilies including smite? Or am I misremembering which is quite likeliy since I never give Paladins much tought.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-21, 04:48 PM
Ummm isn't wisdom the backbone of almost all paladin abilies including smite? Or am I misremembering which is quite likeliy since I never give Paladins much tought.

That's Charisma. It's not a bad trade in the right build.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-21, 04:49 PM
Thanks Fax

Greenish
2010-06-21, 04:51 PM
Ummm isn't wisdom the backbone of almost all paladin abilies including smite?Only with Serenity feat.

Wermus
2010-06-21, 05:11 PM
One more doubt, sorry.

The Feat Divine Shield...

Prerequisite: Turn or rebuke undead ability, proficiency with a shield.
Benefit: As a standard action, spend one of your turn/rebuke undead attempts to channel energy into your shield, granting it a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier. This bonus applies to the shield's bonus to Armor Class and lasts for a number of rounds equal to half your character level.

The extra bonus is shield "name"? If that's true, then only the higher shield bonus (magic shield or Divine Shield) applies, no?

Thanks!

DragoonWraith
2010-06-21, 05:16 PM
No, the spell gives the shield a Charisma bonus to its AC. So it stacks with enhancement bonuses on the shield. At least, without me double-checking that your description is correct...

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 05:19 PM
It isn't explicitly stated, so it would be an unnamed bonus to the shield's AC bonus. It would stack with other types of bonuses, like Enhancement bonuses (from Magic Vestiments or actual enchantments). Bonuses with different names always stack, unless the text explicitly excludes it. Bonuses with the same name almost never stack, especially if they are from the same source.

If you had a Cha of 20, and a +1 Large shield, your AC bonus from the shield would be 2 + 1 + 5 = 8. This is your total "shield" bonus to your AC. You would only get it against things that you can apply your shield bonus to, like normal melee attacks. You would not get any part of that bonus against something like a touch attack, which bypasses armor and shield bonuses, unless you had something that counted that, like Parrying Shield (Lords of Madness) or the one from PHBII that I can't remember.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 05:30 PM
the one from PHBII that I can't remember.Shield Ward, which gives you your shield AC bonus to touch AC and to resist combat maneuvers.