PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Compendium Generator

Navigator
2010-06-21, 04:53 PM
I made an online item generator based on the tables in Magic Item Compendium. I still want to do a bit more with it, like generate weapon/armor/shields, and attach a price to the items. I plan on working on it this coming week, but other than that it works fine.

Here is a link. (http://moxie.oswego.edu:4011/MICGen/gen)

Aside from that, in the MIC, there is no chart for gems. If I wanted to attach a name to these gems, what would be the best method? Equal chance for the listed types?

Chrono22
2010-06-21, 04:55 PM
The DMG from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons has some awesome gem charts. You can't copy them verbatim, for obvious reasons, but they have a sizeable list of gems and precious stones (complete with descriptions and values).

Vaynor
2010-06-21, 05:01 PM
Would it be possible to have it save your preferences when you hit the "Back to generator" button?

Very good though, much easier than dealing with those tables.

Marriclay
2010-06-21, 05:02 PM
Aside from that, in the MIC, there is no chart for gems. If I wanted to attach a name to these gems, what would be the best method? Equal chance for the listed types?

take a look at the back of the forgotten realms campaign setting - it's got a list of all the different gems and lists the prices of near the back of the book

hamishspence
2010-06-21, 05:07 PM
Because the Magic Item Compendium merges gems and jewelry though (on page 268) it can (if you interpret it that way) allow for more expensive gems than you get in the DMG.

So, (given the price of 4d4 x 1000 gp) you could have a 16000 gp stone.

Maybe this could be something unusually large or rare. A 1 carat flawless blood-red diamond, for example.

Saph
2010-06-21, 05:11 PM
I made an online item generator based on the tables in Magic Item Compendium. I still want to do a bit more with it, like generate weapon/armor/shields, and attach a price to the items. I plan on working on it this coming week, but other than that it works fine.

Here is a link. (http://moxie.oswego.edu:4011/MICGen/gen)

Ooh, nice. Very useful!

I'd suggest equal chance for the listed types of gems/art. Maybe pull some other gem and art names from other sources, e.g. the aforementioned AD&D DMG.

One thing that I think would improve it: add in the sell value for the magic items, and include that in the total value. Sell value is more useful than buy value because most random items get sold (and the sell value is typically how you count an item for treasure distribution).

Navigator
2010-06-21, 06:51 PM
Because the Magic Item Compendium merges gems and jewelry though (on page 268) it can (if you interpret it that way) allow for more expensive gems than you get in the DMG.

So, (given the price of 4d4 x 1000 gp) you could have a 16000 gp stone.

Maybe this could be something unusually large or rare. A 1 carat flawless blood-red diamond, for example.
I take this into account for the generator, at least where the price is concerned. In each part of the table, instead of just "Gems" and a price, it would be something like "3 ebony mugs" or whatever.

One thing that I think would improve it: add in the sell value for the magic items, and include that in the total value. Sell value is more useful than buy value because most random items get sold (and the sell value is typically how you count an item for treasure distribution).

I do agree that sell value is arguably more important than market value, but are there rules for it? Just 50% sell back? If you can, give me a page citation. Also, there should be a sell back rate for gems as well. In any case, I would end up adding another column with a sell back total.

As far as saving cookies, thats low-ish priority, but I'll keep it in mind.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-21, 07:14 PM
I'd make it weighted inversely with the values. So you'd more of the lower-cost gems, and fewer really big items.

Saph
2010-06-21, 07:14 PM
I do agree that sell value is arguably more important than market value, but are there rules for it? Just 50% sell back? If you can, give me a page citation. Also, there should be a sell back rate for gems as well. In any case, I would end up adding another column with a sell back total.

As far as saving cookies, thats low-ish priority, but I'll keep it in mind.

Here's the citation for sell price, from the SRD:

Wealth and Money (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm):

Selling Loot

In general, a character can sell something for half its listed price.

Trade goods are the exception to the half-price rule. A trade good, in this sense, is a valuable good that can be easily exchanged almost as if it were cash itself.

Most DMs that I know of treat gems and art as trade goods, selling for full price, but I don't have a citation on that one.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-21, 07:17 PM
Most DMs that I know of treat gems and art as trade goods, selling for full price, but I don't have a citation on that one.
Gems are trade goods because they're always in demand: in part because they're more portable than coins, and in part because so many spells consume them. Artwork is more problematic, and I generally give ½ price for those when I DM.

Navigator
2010-06-22, 01:53 PM
Well, my goal is to stay as close to RAW as possible, so in the "approximate" sell back column, items will be listed at 50% of their market price, with coins and goods unchanged.

This is largely inspired by Don Juan's item generator, so I aspire to add in the ability to generate individual weapons/armor/shields. If you guys were to actually use this, what kind of functionality would you want to see beyond that?

Off topic:
That being said, I do agree that art and even gems should be subject to some kind of sell back rate. When I DM, I decide a base percentage (say, 20%, depending on the PC's current wealth situation), and then have one PC roll a diplomacy/intimidate/bluff check, and add the check result to the base percentage. I let them buff themselves however they want for the check... I hear this method is similar to skill challenges in 4E.

Lhurgyof
2010-06-22, 01:58 PM
That is quite sick, my friend.

unre9istered
2010-06-22, 02:00 PM
I could have sworn I saw that gems and art objects sold for full price somewhere. Turns out I was right but it was in the 4th ed PHB.

gbprime
2010-06-22, 02:19 PM
Congratulations, you're my newest bookmark. Nice work.

zagan
2010-06-22, 02:39 PM
Bookmark !

I love you man this will make loot generation much easier thank you very much.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-22, 06:05 PM
Items/Equipment... 50%
Artwork/Books... 65%
Gems/Jewelry... 80%

Navigator
2010-06-24, 10:52 PM
Made some updates. I now properly name goods, some item prices have been added. Next update should have the "approximate" sell back value column.

More comments, suggestions, and requests are welcome.

true_shinken
2010-06-25, 09:03 AM
Wow, excellent! Good work!

Sc00by
2010-07-14, 03:44 PM
I hope this isn't seen as thread necromancy, but my query is directly related to the specific subject at hand.

I've used your generator a few times as a REALLY good and quick way to generate loot for my group, but it appears to be dead

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at moxie.oswego.edu:4011.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

:smalleek:

Is it down forever? Or just for the time being?

unre9istered
2010-07-14, 04:57 PM
As far as I can tell the link (http://cs.oswego.edu/~farina/files/Heward%27s%20Item%20Catalogue%20Solution%20v1.4%20 Beta.xls) in Navigator's signature is still active.

Tyger
2010-07-14, 05:14 PM
As far as I can tell the link (http://cs.oswego.edu/~farina/files/Heward%27s%20Item%20Catalogue%20Solution%20v1.4%20 Beta.xls) in Navigator's signature is still active.

That's actually a different, and also great, program from what Sc00by was looking for.

Sc00by
2010-07-14, 06:57 PM

I have no access to Excel and my wireless connection (stupid laptop) won't stand up to having open office installed/copied across it :( I'm going to have to plug it in in the attic/loft I guess...

The online one was great, hope it returns. Are they one and the same thing? I.e. is the spreadsheet basically the source for the web page? Actually if you say it's good I'll believe you and sort out making it work. Cheers.

Tyger
2010-07-14, 10:13 PM
I have no access to Excel and my wireless connection (stupid laptop) won't stand up to having open office installed/copied across it :( I'm going to have to plug it in in the attic/loft I guess...

The online one was great, hope it returns. Are they one and the same thing? I.e. is the spreadsheet basically the source for the web page? Actually if you say it's good I'll believe you and sort out making it work. Cheers.

Nope the excel sheet is a completely seperate wealth management tool for PCs. Its a nice application to be sure, but it is not a random loot generator like the other one was. I too hope that one comes back.

Navigator
2010-07-17, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately, I use my school's server as a host for the generator, so it will go down from time to time without my knowing. At any rate, it should be up very shortly after this post.

I haven't given up on updating this project, but not being able to get all the prices without manual entry is kind of disheartening. So, don't give up hope. While I really like doing this stuff, my ultimate goal is to sort of make a portfolio of things I'm capable of doing, so I will come back to this later if not sooner

Edit: Oddly enough, it seems that the server is currently undergoing maintenance.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-17, 07:06 PM
If you need a more permanent server, send me a PM. I have a ton of server space I barely use, and it's quite stable, being commercially hosted.

Schylerwalker
2010-07-17, 07:06 PM
Link ain't working for me. :smallfrown:

Thurbane
2010-07-17, 07:16 PM
Link ain't working for me. :smallfrown:
Same here.