PDA

View Full Version : (3.5)Baleful Polymorph-what to turn them into?

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 05:46 PM
I am playing a caster who knows Baleful Polymorph. Does anyone have any fun ideas of what enemies can be turned into. Toads are just so cliche...

The creature to be turned into must per Baleful Polymorph rules be a small or smaller animal with no more than 1 HD.

I'm hoping for some fun(ny) suggestions. :smallbiggrin:

CubeB
2010-06-21, 05:47 PM
Toads don't have any attacks, which is why they're so popular.

Kittens are always a good choice. Or Turtles. Or Butterflies.

Nidogg
2010-06-21, 05:48 PM
Well, theres fly, dog (tarrasque pet!) , sheep, cow, pig pidgeon ect....

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 05:48 PM
SHE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!!!

I got better...

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 05:53 PM
Well, theres fly, dog (tarrasque pet!) , sheep, cow, pig pidgeon ect....

Well...I'm looking for something original here. Maybe a chicken...but I'd rather have something funnier.

Douglas
2010-06-21, 05:58 PM
A snail. Then get out a salt shaker.

Jorda75
2010-06-21, 05:59 PM
I agree with the above post, I almost always picked snail or slug. My halfling wizard delighted in polymorphing big bad enemies into slugs, then stomping on them till they died :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-06-21, 06:00 PM
Turn them into lemmings, wait until they kill themselves.

Thalnawr
2010-06-21, 06:01 PM
What type of animal is your familiar? Perhaps you could choose something that it'd eat?

EvilJoe15
2010-06-21, 06:02 PM
Poly them into fish. Let them air drown.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-21, 06:05 PM
Mayfly. They'll be dead by the end of the day.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-21, 06:05 PM
Poly them into fish. Let them air drown.Let them make the save more easily, you mean?

I prefer animals who have a hard time running away, like the humble turtle.

EvilJoe15
2010-06-21, 06:06 PM
Fish can't run. They got no legs.

Grumman
2010-06-21, 06:08 PM
Toads are just so cliche...
They're not cliched, they're traditional!

A snail. Then get out a salt shaker.
I'd say that snails are Vermin, not of the Animal type.

Poly them into fish. Let them air drown.
A poor choice. You're giving them a 20% improvement to the chance that they'll survive. Far better to just polymorph them into something that runs slower than a person, and finish the job yourself. A koala, perhaps.

Eurus
2010-06-21, 06:08 PM

But you specifically get a bonus on the save if you're being turned into something like a fish on dry land (or basically any form that can't survive in the environment). Better off just turning them into a turtle and making turtle soup.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 06:09 PM
What type of animal is your familiar? Perhaps you could choose something that it'd eat?

So, what do you think a raven would eat? Does a snail count as an animal, or does it count as vermin?

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-21, 06:11 PM
Raven. Then your familiar can have a "play mate" :smallwink:

Viktre
2010-06-21, 06:13 PM
Dm turned me into a penguin one time in a campaign. Then launched me from a catapult. He thought it was incredibly funny. :smallmad:

DM:" And now for the first time in a millenia one of your kind takes flight."

Marriclay
2010-06-21, 06:13 PM

yeah, but anything that would die in the environment you are in gives the enemy a +4 on his save. not cool.

I have always gone with worms. wooooooooorms.

Grumman
2010-06-21, 06:14 PM
Not unless you're trying to kill your familiar. Eating small things that are going to turn back into big things when they die is a good way of earning a Darwin Award.

I have always gone with worms. wooooooooorms.
Again, vermin.

Captain Six
2010-06-21, 06:16 PM
A Panda. Pandas fail at everything.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-21, 06:17 PM
A Panda. Pandas fail at everything.

They have people (the top of the food chain) working tirelessly to save them whilst they voluntarily refuse to mate and eat bamboo even though they are natural carnivores.

Pandas are the worlds greatest trolls :smalltongue:

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-21, 06:22 PM
I like to go with something ironic. If a villain prides himself on his grace, dexterity, and/or speed: Turtle or Sloth. If on their strength: Toad. If on their Beauty: a rat (not that all rats are ugly, some are downright cute, but that's the stereotype)

Sc00by
2010-06-21, 06:37 PM
Penguins all the way!

I wanted to turn my players into rabbits, but I can't find any (published) stats for them :(

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 06:41 PM
Now that's the ticket, for a Familiar like a Owl or a Raven

Then turn them into a box turtle or another slow animal, them escaping as an animal isn't as bad as complete failure of the spell.

I had a PC who thought it be Ironic to a weretiger into a house cat. He even picked it up and said oh aren't you cute, it then promptly used alternate form to change back and mauled him.*it helped the lycanthrope had a feat to change as a swift action*
The lesson don't use baleful polymorph on a shapechanger.

Beelzebub1111 go for a molerat, Rufus may be cute but the actually animals are ugly as sin.

Weimann
2010-06-21, 06:42 PM
Take the stats of a cat and no one will care about the difference.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-21, 06:45 PM
Take the stats of a cat and no one will care about the difference.Except the commoners.

Those vorpal bunnies are killer.

gartius
2010-06-21, 06:47 PM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs (Hamster!) 2.36 in.

this once happened to me, BP was cast onto me after fly had been cast. So i was a hamster floating in midair. and i had a animated tower shield hovering in front of me. due to my hamster brain we sorted out that i would spend my actions squeaking in fear and running away from the big scary shield that kept chasing me. very hilarious. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-21, 06:50 PM
Being an Air Savant, I’ve always had a thing for turning my enemies into small songbirds.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 06:52 PM
Hamster! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs) 2.36 in.Fixed the link.

Felyndiira
2010-06-21, 07:04 PM
My favorite, as per explicit DM permisson:

Detached Head (http://shii.org/yukkuri/yukkuri)
Size: Small
Type: Animal
Initiative: -2
Speed: 5 ft.
Armor Class: 11
BAB +0, No Attacks
CR: 0

Thalnawr
2010-06-21, 07:11 PM
Not unless you're trying to kill your familiar. Eating small things that are going to turn back into big things when they die is a good way of earning a Darwin Award.

Well, Baleful Polymorph is permanent duration, and nothing in the spell description suggests that it ends when the target dies. It'd really only end if someone else dispelled the effect.

chiasaur11
2010-06-21, 07:13 PM
Duckbunny.

There is no other option.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-21, 07:17 PM
Duckbunny.

There is no other option.

Dear god, I have that Dragon Magazine. It's also the one with Spiderhorse, and the dragonfly turtle, and the Armadillephant.

AtopTheMountain
2010-06-21, 07:17 PM
Duck-Billed Platypus. Watch as his henchmen all fall over laughing... then kill them.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-21, 07:18 PM
Duck-Billed Platypus. Watch as his henchmen all fall over laughing... then kill them.

Platypi are not to be trifled with! They're poisonous.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 07:21 PM
Platypuses are not to be trifled with! They're poisonous.Only males. Do you get to choose the gender? (And I was disappointed, too, when I found out that the plural is not "platypi", but it makes sense you wouldn't use latin grammar with greek words.)

EternalMelon
2010-06-21, 07:47 PM
Water Bear :biggrin:
SQUISH THE CELL BASED LIFEFORM!

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 07:48 PM

Baleful Polymorph is permament.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 07:53 PM
I wanted to turn my players into rabbits, but I can't find any (published) stats for them :(

My DM has watched Monthy Phyton and the Holy Grail so rabbits are a big no-no when there are no stats...:smalleek:

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-21, 07:53 PM
Ooh! Something that you can keep in a cage as a pet and/or sell it to a small child. It's even better if they retain their mind. I have no mouth and I must scream.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 08:05 PM
Well, Baleful Polymorph is permanent duration, and nothing in the spell description suggests that it ends when the target dies. It'd really only end if someone else dispelled the effect.

Yep, regular polymorph ends when the subject dies, not true of baleful polymorph.

Ooh! Something that you can keep in a cage as a pet and/or sell it to a small child. It's even better if they retain their mind. I have no mouth and I must scream.
Except now when the cat runs around your legs at the top of the stairs it really is trying to kill you.

Ignoring the close proximity in stats of house cat to commoners.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 08:07 PM
Ooh! Something that you can keep in a cage as a pet and/or sell it to a small child. It's even better if they retain their mind. I have no mouth and I must scream.Have a druid awaken them after you turn them into critters.

Grumman
2010-06-21, 08:09 PM

Baleful Polymorph is permament.
Apparently in 3.5, Alter Self (and therefore its variants, too) no longer makes you revert to your natural form when you die. I was thinking of the 3.0 version.

Yep, regular polymorph ends when the subject dies, not true of baleful polymorph.
Baleful Polymorph says "As Polymorph, except..." If Baleful Polymorph doesn't overrule something about Polymorph, then it's still true of Baleful Polymorph.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-21, 08:11 PM
Have a druid awaken them after you turn them into critters.
I always wondered what happened then, same with awakening mindless undead. Do they have any of the previous persons memories and/or personality or are they an entirely new person? I doubt RAW has an answer, but I wonder how you all as a DM would play it out.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 08:13 PM
Apparently in 3.5, Alter Self (and therefore its variants, too) no longer makes you revert to your natural form when you die. I was thinking of the 3.0 version.

With Regular polymorph you still revert to your natural form if slain.

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 08:19 PM
BRAIN MOLE!!!!

Not for the faint of heart.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ifNvMe6zXXc/S8JaA-P5OKI/AAAAAAAABPE/C1aNwsCbLl8/s1600/star_nosed_mole-s1360x673-2274.jpg
I warned you...

megabyter5
2010-06-21, 09:46 PM
I would suggest NOT going with newt. A given DM has a high probability of ruling that any baleful polymorphs into newts have a limited duration before the subject gets better.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 09:48 PM
I would suggest NOT going with newt. A given DM has a high probability of ruling that any baleful polymorphs into newts have a limited duration before the subject gets better.

I know I may hate myself for asking but why?

Keld Denar
2010-06-21, 09:49 PM
You sir, just failed your Monty Python (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g) check. Please leave your gamer card at the door.

Have a nice day!

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 09:58 PM
You sir, just failed your Monty Python (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g) check. Please leave your gamer card at the door.

Have a nice day!

Now that isn't fair, it was barely even a reference. Newt and got better in the same sentience does not equal a quality reference.

Wonton
2010-06-21, 10:13 PM
BRAIN MOLE!!!!

Not for the faint of heart.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ifNvMe6zXXc/S8JaA-P5OKI/AAAAAAAABPE/C1aNwsCbLl8/s1600/star_nosed_mole-s1360x673-2274.jpg
I warned you...

What the ****??!!? Wow. Just wow.

Zaq
2010-06-21, 10:37 PM
Squirrels. Gotta be squirrels.

It's also funny if you turn them into something that does have stats and an attack, so it can adorably swipe ineffectually at you. Then you get to pick it up and be all patronizing.

Cealocanth
2010-06-21, 10:40 PM
The thing with Polymorph is that your enemy is still your enemy no matter what form he's in. They almost always find out a way to hurt you. A butterfly flies down your throat and quickly dodges your attacks, a cat scratches your eys out, dog's are pretty dangerous all around, etc.

Turn one of your enemies into a cat, the rest into mice. Let the animal instincts invade their minds forcing the mice to run and the cat to give chase.

A slime mold is pretty harmless.

How about a sea monkey? Or one of those blind cave fish? Perhaps a slug, or a newborn bird.

turn him into a Daddy Longlegs, or into a naked version of what they already are. The possibilities are endless...

Elfin
2010-06-21, 10:50 PM
this once happened to me, BP was cast onto me after fly had been cast.

Ah, so your wings were glued shut by oil?

deuxhero
2010-06-21, 10:53 PM
Infant mammals if you can get away with killing your enemies once they are polymorphed into puppies/kittens. Blind, can't move and poop a lot.

Baby something less "cute" could also work.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-21, 11:10 PM
Infant mammals if you can get away with killing your enemies once they are polymorphed into puppies/kittens. Blind, can't move and poop a lot.

Baby something less "cute" could also work.

Hmm sounds interesting you can't technically do it with baleful polymorph but a nice idea.

Cealocanth
2010-06-21, 11:10 PM
Turn them into a Clam!

Worira
2010-06-21, 11:13 PM
Far better to just polymorph them into something that runs slower than a person, and finish the job yourself. A koala, perhaps.

Uh... http://www.thekoala.com/koala/koimages/koalapawwp.jpg

herrhauptmann
2010-06-21, 11:44 PM
Wombat
http://www.bcsurfer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/wombat.jpg

Volthawk
2010-06-22, 01:34 AM
Water Bear :biggrin:
SQUISH THE CELL BASED LIFEFORM!

But aren't they practically invulnerable?

Partysan
2010-06-22, 04:41 AM
Wombat
http://www.bcsurfer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/wombat.jpg

But Wombats are badassely strong... (http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=35)

Killer Angel
2010-06-22, 04:50 AM
Dm turned me into a penguin one time in a campaign. Then launched me from a catapult. He thought it was incredibly funny. :smallmad:

DM:" And now for the first time in a millenia one of your kind takes flight."

To be fair, if you see this without being involved, it sounds funny. :smallwink:

Wolf Warhead
2010-06-22, 04:59 AM
If my players enjoyed turning enemies into kittens and sell them off as pets, I'd make a Sorcerer with Silent Spell and Still Spell, wait until they sold it off and then have it start casting random spells to cause mayhem in the town.

I know it's not according to the rules, nor will the fight be all too hard, but I just like the idea of a Doom Kitten running amok.

Clovis
2010-06-22, 05:18 AM
Now that isn't fair, it was barely even a reference. Newt and got better in the same sentience does not equal a quality reference.
Yes it does. :smallwink:
Of course one could BP someone into the Norwegian Blue parrot -- it's completely harmless, whatwith pining for the fjords all the time...

Zeta Kai
2010-06-22, 05:30 AM
Raven. Then your familiar can have a "play mate" :smallwink:

Unfortunate Implications (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications) + Squick (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squick) = Rape as Drama (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RapeAsDrama).**

** = Warning: All links here lead to TV Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage). Timesink precautions advised.

Nihb
2010-06-22, 06:01 AM
One of a Big Bad's guards used Baleful Polymorph as often as she could, and she was a sorcerer. Her favorite were white, fluffy things. Rabbits, mice, kittens, rats. Polymorphing them into small animal made things easier when they had to feed them. She didn't have a familiar, but she always kept one of the most dangerous opponent she faced with her, as long as they failed their Will Save.

My transmuter was a tad unoriginal. Toads. They have a base speed of 5 ft, so once you polymorph them, you can scoop them or let them run until the fight is over. They won't be too far.

Sloth would be a good choice, but it's a medium animal. Turtles are great if you want to capture them : they get a nice natural armor to protect them from "accidents", and they won't run very far. Or, make it some sort of poisonous animal and, when you have the time, cast Bull's Strength and extract as much poison as it can give. It won't be very strong, but hey! It's free!

As for the mole, wouldn't they be enable to see after a couple of feet?

Sliver
2010-06-22, 06:13 AM
2 flaws in the toad plan:

+21 hide. The Run action. It can Run for 11 turns at a speed of 20ft per round. While you could catch up, leaving it to itself while you are in combat is not advised. If it can get to a hiding place you might as not find it later. Even a couple of turns will be enough for it to escape...

Thrawn183
2010-06-22, 09:17 AM
Hedgehog! It's like they're trying to be viciously defensive with all those spines and end up just cute.

Caliphbubba
2010-06-22, 09:22 AM
SHE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!!!

I got better...

This, for sure.

I got better!

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-22, 11:34 AM
A shrew. they Don't live long. And they need to eat an insane amount of food or die. Even if they do keep their mind, they'll never have time to strike back

Female opponents (or males too if they can be gender changed) into ferrets. Female ferrets die if they go without breeding. They won't make it past a month.

A humming bird. Now use Prestidigitation to make some regular water taste and smell sweet.

2xMachina
2010-06-22, 11:42 AM
A shrew. they Don't live long.

Female opponents (or males too if they can be gender changed) into ferrets. Female ferrets die if they go without breeding. They won't make it past a month.

Or they could breed like rabbits.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-22, 11:44 AM
And? either way, they'll be too busy.