PDA

View Full Version : Flying question

klemdakherzbag
2010-06-21, 06:12 PM
Assuming that the Winged template (Savage Species) and Half-Dragon are permitted and paired with one level of Barbarian and Improved Speed feat (Draconomicon) on a Human chassis, that would give

50ft land movement (30base+10barb+10imp.speed) and

140ft fly speed (120winged{50basex2+20}+20imp.speed)

Are my calculation correct? I know that LA+5 worth of templates 'isnt worth it' and 'your doing it wrong' but I am just looking purely from a TO standpoint. Also does the Jump skill get any bonuses from having a fly speed?

Edit- so the over all layering of the character would go something like this from first to last
-Half-Dragon Human
-Barbarian
-Improved Speed
-Winged Template

Jorda75
2010-06-21, 06:21 PM
Are you combining the fly speeds from the two templates? In this case the higher fly speed would be applied and the lower one would be dropped.

klemdakherzbag
2010-06-21, 06:25 PM
Consider the Winged template an 'add-on' from a crazy wizard/world-altering occurrence to a Half-Dragon Human (medium sized - no fly speed) so there should only be one fly speed, that from the Winged template ^see first post

Jorda75
2010-06-21, 06:50 PM
Well then it all looks correct to me, like you said I'm not sure LA 5 justifies flying really fast but yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

klemdakherzbag
2010-06-21, 07:19 PM
thanks Jorda thats what i was thinking

Also are their any bonuses to Jump skill from having a fly speed?

Hendel
2010-06-21, 07:28 PM
thanks Jorda thats what i was thinking

Also are their any bonuses to Jump skill from having a fly speed?

Other than rendering Jump almost useless, there are no bonuses to a Jump skill check if you have a fly speed.

klemdakherzbag
2010-06-21, 07:30 PM
Thats what I thought, I couldnt find anything, anywhere. Oh well

Hendel
2010-06-21, 07:40 PM
Thats what I thought, I couldnt find anything, anywhere. Oh well

Now there is a feat in Races of Dragons, Dragon Wings, that specifically says that you get a racial bonus to Jump of +10. However, that feat only really lets you glide. The improved feats let you fly and do not say anything about bonuses to jump. So, my assumption is that if you want to cross the chasm, then you just fly/jump across and, voila, you made it.

If you wanted it for a jump attack, I think coming down from above would count and/or qualify you for a dive attack.

Flickerdart
2010-06-21, 07:45 PM
Does Half-Dragon even qualify for Winged?

Snake-Aes
2010-06-21, 07:48 PM
Those past large size do, given they have wings.

I'm fairly sure having wings makes you winged.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-21, 07:50 PM
Does Half-Dragon even qualify for Winged?
No. But a winged creature qualifies for Half-Dragon. So just be sure to apply Winged Creature first.

Those past large size do, given they have wings.

I'm fairly sure having wings makes you winged.
We’re talking about the Winged Creature template from Savage Species. It can only be applied to animals, giants, humanoids, monstrous humanoids, or vermin.

The point of using the Winged Template here, is to make a medium half dragon with wings.