PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Movie

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 07:33 PM
What if there was an OOTS movie?
It would follow the storylines of the books and it would still have the same stick figure art and it would have just frame by frame animation.

PallElendro
2010-06-21, 07:50 PM
Oh holy cow, that has got to be the 14th I saw EVER!

But if there was one, I'd say for Will Smith to play Roy.

fwiffo
2010-06-21, 08:01 PM
Hey, this one is not asking "which actor would play which character", so it gets +5 bonus to originality and -5 penalty to having a point.

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 08:08 PM
It should follow the books as close to exact as possible. With bonus material too like strip #33 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html). And random bonus materials from the books after the credits.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-21, 08:20 PM
What if there was an OOTS movie?
It would follow the storylines of the books and it would still have the same stick figure art and it would have just frame by frame animation.

The first 100 strips or so were just individual D&D jokes with a vague storyline. The film should open with the first encounter with Xykon starting the film on a high note with action.

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 08:24 PM
The first 100 strips or so were just individual D&D jokes with a vague storyline. The film should open with the first encounter with Xykon starting the film on a high note with action.

Dr. Epic has a point there. Not many people would get the dnd jokes (Even though only an idiot couldnt figure out the forth wall) So it should start out at the end of book 1 then flow into book 2.

What Dr. Epic has:
A Phd in Epicness
A Phd in Horribleness
A Great singing voice-wait thats Dr. Horrible

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 08:26 PM
The 0 book and the book 1 could also function as a movie.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-21, 08:34 PM
Dr. Epic has a point there. Not many people would get the dnd jokes (Even though only an idiot couldnt figure out the forth wall) So it should start out at the end of book 1 then flow into book 2.

Well, one thing they could do is create a montage for the opening credits -sort of like they did for the Incredible Hulk - showing some of those jokes that also introduces us to the characters.

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 08:39 PM
A more thought out character page could also be a nice setup for a beginning for the movie.

The movie should probably only be sold by DVD + Blu-ray instead of Theaters though because it probably wouldnt be as near as popular as a movie like the karate kid or toy story 3. It should not be viewed in theaters because i guess Rich probably wouldn`t like losing all that money on a movie like that. It would still be an epic movie for people like us though, who actually read the comic.

iroZn
2010-06-21, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately OOTS does not have a nice encapsulated beginning-middle-end story for a movie to work off of.

OOTS would work better as a series as there are indeed smaller cycles of this kind that would work great in a series. Also not as much would be have to cut out as would from a movie. Of course a movie could always evolve from the series.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-21, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately OOTS does not have a nice encapsulated beginning-middle-end story for a movie to work off of.

Other series that have the same structure but are films:
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Star Wars

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 09:59 PM
good point.

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-23, 09:30 PM
But still, millions of people have read those books. Maybe less than a fifth of that read oots. It would still probably be wasted time and money if it went out in theaters.

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-23, 09:33 PM
But it would probably do well as a series.
I know! After rich is done with the full oots story, he can redraw everything into a series that only shows on here! But would he want to take all that effort....

npc revolution
2010-06-26, 08:19 AM
I'm gonna go with "no", in that it's fine as a webcomic and he wouldn't reach any more people other than oots fans and dnd players, of which there are relatively few.

It's good to dream though...

[Edit] Also, double posts are frowned upon. Triple posts are something else...
Edits are better.

Thor Person Guy
2010-06-27, 02:35 PM
I agree with npc r. A full-fledged movie is a long way to go to appeal to a small community. While it may or may not be any good, it would be unlikely to make enough money to break even at the box office.

However, if you simply must see it in movie form, I propose making a Flash series (with The Giant's permission, of course). It's inexpensive, and can be done in one's spare time. Plus, most people who read the comic use the Internet already.

Morgan Wick
2010-06-30, 12:16 AM
I would say follow the events in the comic from #43 on, but rewrite the very early part of the story to serve as a suitable beginning, while keeping the relevant parts of the comic from that era. Incorporating the events of Origins is optional.

I'm tempted to say each book should be its own movie, with Origins and book 1 possibly merged.

As a series... I would probably still include several comics at once, as it's rare that a single comic would have enough material even for a single Flash animation, plus you'd be doing likely >1000 of them.

This Troper
2010-07-06, 12:49 AM
I vote for a flash series.
10-to-20 minute episodes with 5-to-10 strips on each, :smallbiggrin: Rich could sell a collection of it all in a DVD with commentary and The Making Of. :smallredface:
I'd buy it. :smallsmile:
There could also be a flash movie for books 0 and -1.