PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Descriptions and how they've affected your games

DoodlesD
2010-06-21, 09:49 PM
How many times have you been running a mediocre game, gotten bored, and said to yourself "Why don't i step it up and give these guys a show?" I know it's made a difference for me on several occasions. Sometimes, something as simple as describing how horrible the deaths of a party of gnolls are can really renew the excitement and enjoyment for the players.

Tell me how graphic descriptions have affected your gameplay, and give details.

Lhurgyof
2010-06-21, 09:59 PM
I had a game basically based on gruesome and vile things, it was really more of a horror game, so I had to describe a lot of gruesome things in detail, and the party really liked it.

Viskocity
2010-06-22, 09:01 AM
While not quite the same, I have seen a huge difference since my current DM switched things up from "you encounter a roaming...Box Text". I suppose he didn't know exactly what to expect when he started DMing our group, so he used a premade adventure. Now he comes up with things on the fly, and honestly it is a lot more interesting that way.

Caliphbubba
2010-06-22, 09:21 AM
I try to strike a balance.

I have played with a few DMs that use the overtop descriptions as sort of a crutch to not adequately prepare for the game so they use huge, sprawling descriptions of the scene to eat up game time. We even have a guy we call "Flavor Text".

On the otherhand, good creative descriptions can really add a lot to the game.

DoodlesD
2010-06-22, 09:28 AM
I have played with a few DMs that use the overtop descriptions as sort of a crutch to not adequately prepare for the game so they use huge, sprawling descriptions of the scene to eat up game time. We even have a guy we call "Flavor Text".

I completely agree. Descriptions can add to the quality of gameplay, but they can't make up for a lack of story or variety of action and circumstance.

gbprime
2010-06-22, 09:35 AM
The important thing is to get everyone to imagine it. Some extra descriptive effort about little details (the sunlight streaming in through the dusty air, it's smile curling up about it's fangs, the sinking chill in the pit of your stomach) makes each player empathize with actually being there. They'll see something different, but the point is that they'll all see it.

And when a player sees something like that, they'll REACT to it. They're there. It doesn't have to be flowery, long, or complicated, just add little touches.