PDA

View Full Version : The Truenamer?

gallagher
2010-06-21, 11:38 PM
so i dont have the book that contains truenamer, and i was wondering: what is it supposed to be? how was it supposed to work? why doesnt it do so? how can one make it work given the right setting?

Zaq
2010-06-21, 11:41 PM
Shameless. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114269)

[/thread]

Flickerdart
2010-06-21, 11:43 PM
so i dont have the book that contains truenamer, and i was wondering: what is it supposed to be? how was it supposed to work? why doesnt it do so? how can one make it work given the right setting?
It was supposed to use "utterances" (like invocations) by hitting a certain DC. However, that DC scaled twice as fast as a Truenamer could take ranks in the skill, meaning that half the time your Truename check would fail. Every time you used an utterance, it became even harder to use that one again. Truenamers got very few utterances, no chance to swap them out for different ones, and even for the Truenamers who managed to make checks, it was very hard to do anything worthwhile because utterances are by and large terrible (except Conjunctive Gate). The PrCs don't progress Truenaming, so there is no valid multiclass option.
There are many homebrew Truenamer fixes. Short of a complete overhaul, it is hard to save the Truenamer.

Edit: Of course, ninja'd by Zaq. [/thread] indeed.

gallagher
2010-06-22, 12:06 AM
It was supposed to use "utterances" (like invocations) by hitting a certain DC. However, that DC scaled twice as fast as a Truenamer could take ranks in the skill, meaning that half the time your Truename check would fail. Every time you used an utterance, it became even harder to use that one again. Truenamers got very few utterances, no chance to swap them out for different ones, and even for the Truenamers who managed to make checks, it was very hard to do anything worthwhile because utterances are by and large terrible (except Conjunctive Gate). The PrCs don't progress Truenaming, so there is no valid multiclass option.
There are many homebrew Truenamer fixes. Short of a complete overhaul, it is hard to save the Truenamer.

Edit: Of course, ninja'd by Zaq. [/thread] indeed.
so wait, is there a way for, say, a factotum to gain utterances? since the whole list of skills is available to a factotum, and they have a buttload of SP, why not invest in being better at truenaming than a truenamer, and laugh at the hilarity?

Zaq
2010-06-22, 12:34 AM
so wait, is there a way for, say, a factotum to gain utterances? since the whole list of skills is available to a factotum, and they have a buttload of SP, why not invest in being better at truenaming than a truenamer, and laugh at the hilarity?

Mostly because Factotums have better things to do.

That said, there are indeed feats that give Utterances. Low level, but it's not like the high level ones are much better.