PDA

View Full Version : Floating worlds campaign

Fable Wright
2010-06-22, 12:15 AM
Well, you're in the same scene now. To recast the last few lines of dialog:

"Sounds like a plan to me." she says in Draconic. "I'll watch our new slave for now. Could you get a rope, or some manacles? Can't have her walking around this ship uncontrolled, after all." She turns her gaze back to the seaborn. "I can't keep calling you seaborn, can I? What is your name?" she asks[to Splash].

Can we trussst the little fish-woman?" he [Ssul'lath] queries Alyazi and Carlise, hissing in Draconic. "Magesss can be... tricky." He looks the prisoner up and down, examing her. "I think we ssshould bind and gag the fish-lady until she can be sssafely sssold."

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 12:18 AM
Alyazi glares at Ssu'lath. "What did you say, now? Something about mages?" Arcane power crackles in her hand, the power of her prestidigitation spell unknowingly shifting to a more atack-suitable position, despite the fact that the cantrip possessed all the offensive power of wet parchment.

Fable Wright
2010-06-22, 12:21 AM
going to bed now... will resume posting in the morning.

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 12:21 AM
My last post's dialogue, with new stuff added in to reflect the situation:

Seeing a way in, Splash turns to Carlisle. "Dragons of old? I-I actually have a bit of Copper Dragon ancestry, sir. My great-great-great-grandfather on my mother's side. It's where I get my m-magery from. Looking at you, I can't help but notice that you obviously have some dragon blood in you as well. Why is such a noble dragonblood working for these merchants, sir?"

As the others discuss tying Splash up, she visibly shakes. "I-I know how to speak the noble language, good sirs. C-Could you please not tie me up? I hate to be bound... after you've spent time in the brig, you're never the same... "

She trails off, but notices that she is doing so and looks at the others. "Oh, p-please don't sell me... I spent my childhood kept by another man... I'd love to join your g-group... I've always wanted to search for dragons, but I've never had the chance... M-my name is Splash, by the way. Given to me by my former guardian..."

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 12:23 AM
Alyazi glares at Ssu'lath. "What did you say, now? Something about mages?" Arcane power crackles in her hand, the power of her prestidigitation spell unknowingly shifting to a more atack-suitable position, despite the fact that the cantrip possessed all the offensive power of wet parchment.

"Sister Alyazi!" hissed Carlisle, wary of Alyazi's power. "Brother Ssu'lath meant no insult. He's simply being cautious. And yes, mages can be tricky. Even the greatest of dragons were tricky. Accept it with pride, sister." Carlisle took a breath, calming himself. "Brother, perhaps you could find something to contain the sea child. Sister and I shall watch her ourselves."

Carlisle looked at Splash as she spoke. "... metallic... he muttered, eyes widening. He drew his rapier, holding it near her heart. "Scum! Brother and sister, we have an enemy in our grasp! I say slaughter the wench, and let her vile blood appease our noble ancestors. What say you?"

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 12:29 AM
DM, do you mind if we RP some while you sleep?

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 12:31 AM
"D-Did I say Copper? Sorry, my previous captain was good and I'm used to having to hide it. My blood is actually that of the black dragon..."

BLUFF LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. [roll0]

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 12:36 AM
Alyazi frowns. "Copper dragon?" she says skeptically. "I assure you, your bloodline shall grant you no sympathy from me. As for why I am here? It is because it pays."

She does not answer Carlisle, but nods her head slightly in acknowledgement to his words. The arcane energy flows back over her body, creating the brief ilusion of ripples, and her clenched hand loosens slightly.

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 12:40 AM
"If my blood will not gain your sympathy, then perhaps my gold will? You can have all of the gold on this ship - I have more than enough for myself. The chance to adventure with a group with strength as yours is more than worth the gold. I will even pledge you use of my ship, if you so desire."

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 12:40 AM
Sense Motive (+5 bonus. Splash already claimed a different line of descent, making it a little harder to believe)
[roll0] Yeah no.

Alyazi raises one eyebrow. "Ah. I suppose that makes a slight amount of sense. However, I am still confused. Why did you stay with that captain if he did not accept you as you were? I, personally, would have slain that captain outright, honorable or not, if he chose to belittle my noble draconic ancestry."

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 12:43 AM
(I'd go as far as saying +10, but DM's decision)
Sense Motive [roll0]

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 12:57 AM
"I... I am afraid I must admit I am not as courageous as you, ma'am. He was much more skilled in the arts of combat than I, and I did not desire him to demonstrate them on me... Not to mention, he did serve as a way to get gold. I assume that you can all understand that desire..."

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 01:01 AM
Carlisle scoffed, not dropping his rapier. "Hah, a yellow bellied dragonkin is hardly dragonkin at all," he remarked bitterly. "Do not dare relate yourselves to us. We fought almost to the death to reach where we are now. And what of you? Subjugating yourself so shamefully." He spoke mainly from passion now, not caring if his accusations made that much sense.

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 01:11 AM
"I make only a tenuous claim to dragonblood, Sir. With all due respect... I have played to my strengths. I stand here with a ship of my own and gold at my feet. My methods may seem weak, but you cannot argue with my results, especially when you have chosen to perform duties on a merchant ship for petty change. Speak all you want of your bravery and my cowardice, but I have earned my place among the dragonblooded - that much is obvious. Have you? Or are you a puppet of your emotions and the whims a merchant, not fit to be called a kobold whelp? If you kill me, you'll have dragonblood on your hands. Do you doubt my courage? I will happily face you in combat. Or has your own courage deserted you?"

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 01:29 AM
Alyazi hisses. "At the very least, we did not tarnish our honor to achieve our goals! We do not hide who we are, what we are! You deny your dragon blood, the very essence that defines us all, and yet still make claims to glory. If you wish for a duel, then fine. We shall fight." Her voice becomes cold, challenging, a stark contrast to her passionate rant of a few seconds before. "We shall see who is the brave one when your corpse is floating in the waters behind us. "

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 01:45 AM
"Tarnish your honor? What honor can belong to one who has subjugated themselves to a merchant? Even now, you stand next to me and talk a big game. Who will be first to duel me, or will you all rush at me like pathetic lizards? I will only warn you once - If you fight me, you will lose."

I ready an action to run as far away from you all as possible if you all decide to rush at me like pathetic lizards. Should we roll Init?

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 01:50 AM
Alyazi nods. "Well, we'll see shortly, won't we? Valignat!" she yells.

More or less, here's her thought process: &$*@ Honor, I'm going to gut that seaborn right now. Incidentally, I think I caught Splash flat-footed with that attack.

Initiative [roll0]
Ranged Touch Attack [roll1]

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 01:51 AM
I'm about ready to sleep. I suggest awaiting the DM's return (and the rest of our team) before combat.

EDIT: ...or not. Initiative 1d20+3

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 01:51 AM
((OOC: And damage: [roll0]))

Edit: Ok. Let's leave it off right here. Won't the DM be surprised? We've managed to start a large argument and a fight in his absence.

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 01:53 AM
initiative fail [roll0]

Yes, lets.

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 02:02 AM
Splash is hit with the flame, and curses loudly. "Hurricanes!" She moves around until she is in line with Carlisle and Alyazi (and the other, if possible), and tries to cast a spell.

Init: [roll0]
luck reroll if needed - [roll1]
After I do that, I cast a level 3 offensive spell:
[roll2]
[roll3]

If rainbow blast:
[roll4] damage to both, reflex DC 19 half. If damage is under 17, reroll using a luck reroll - [roll5]

If Dispel Magic:
Attempt to dispel magic effects on Alyazi.

If Chain missile:
[roll6] damage to each of you. If damage is under 10, reroll witrh luck reroll: [roll7]

EDIT: Alright, see ya'll tomorrow.

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 02:08 AM
As Splash moves away, Carlisle lunges out with his ready rapier, hoping to land a strike.

AoO? If so...

Attack [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

If Crit (on a 16-20) [roll2]

Crit damage [roll3]+[roll]

Frog Dragon
2010-06-22, 02:49 AM
"Well. That didn't take long." Draka remarks, wiping his blade. He sheathes the blade. Then the argument between Splash and Alyazi heats up. "Damn. I always sheath this too early." The blade is once more in his hands. He readies for assault.
Initiative: [roll0]

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 06:16 PM
Alyazi dives to the side as a rainbow-colored blast shoots out of Splash's hand. However, she failed, diving a split-second too soon. She collapses, her vitality stolen from her in one blast.

Reflex Save Time!
[roll0]
Ow...with one hit, Alyazi is exactly at 0 hit points.

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 06:23 PM
OOC: Can we get some stuff straight? Like, where in the hell is everybody? Last time I checked, Lok and I were on the pirate boat, and the captain and first mate were on the merchant ship. I think Draka and Ssu'lath are still on the merchant ship, while Carlisle and Alyazi (somehow) made it to the pirate ship. Meanwhile, the druids just kind of vanished after being chased by fiendish sharks. Correct?

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 06:24 PM
Now IC:

Splash sees the haughty sorceress fall. "One shot, one down. I will be merciful if you stop this nonsense!"

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 08:32 PM
Reflex [roll0]

Ranged touch attack [roll1]

...huh, Natural 20 and 1. What are the odds. :smalleek:

Carlisle spins out of the way of the blast as the technicolor flashes about him. "Bloody mage!" he exclaims, drawing a bag from the satchel from his hip and tossing it toward the seaborn... and watching as it flies off the ship. "To me, brothers!" cries the kobold, ready to fight.

Fable Wright
2010-06-22, 08:33 PM
touch attack fails.

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 08:35 PM
touch attack fails.

((Yeah... natural 1s tend to do that. :smallmad:))

Fable Wright
2010-06-22, 08:59 PM
Sorry for pointing it out... been that kind of day.

Forever Curious
2010-06-22, 09:05 PM
Sorry for pointing it out... been that kind of day.

((Not mad at you, just the roll.))

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 09:37 PM
Alyazi snarls at the mage, the effect somewhat enhanced by her blood-stained teeth. "No mercy. This will be...finished. One way or another." She takes another shuddering gasp, one hand shifting, pointing at Splash. It is quite clear that she is a breath away from death's grasp. "Valignat." Her eyes close, and she rolls onto her back before she sees the effect of her spell.

No it's not smart. But it is definitely what she would do.
Now...ugh. See below for my rolls.
[roll0]

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 09:39 PM
Argh. Mistyped. Let me try this again.
Ranged attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Rauthiss
2010-06-22, 09:48 PM
Splash dances around sword and spell, laughing at her attackers. "I am still willing to give you mercy! At this point, I would suggest it!" She again makes herself scarce, then casts a protective spell over herself. Before long, an illusory copy of her shimmers into being next to her, as her original image fades.

Run as far away from my assailants as possible (With a 40 foot land speed, I should be out of all of their melee reaches) and cast a level 3 beneficial spell (My last level 3 spell for the day)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Displacement! For the next 5 rounds, attacks against me all have a 50% miss chance.

Ajadea
2010-06-22, 10:38 PM
I should probably roll to see if I lose a hit point or stabilize. On a roll of 10 I stabilize, otherwise Alyazi drops to -2 hp.
[roll0]
And there we go. Heal is an untrained skill you know.

Dexam
2010-06-22, 10:38 PM
[/spoiler]...huh, Natural 20 and 1. What are the odds. :smalleek:[/spoiler]

Exactly 1 in 400.

What? You did ask. :smalltongue:

Ssul'lath has been quietly watching the duel with bemused interest, suspicous of the sea-born mage, but reasonably confident of his allies' chances of success. After all, are they not dragonkin? Domination of lesser races should be second nature to them.

Sadly, it appears that his confidence has been misplaced. When Splash scampers away and casts her protective spell, Ssul'lath pursues, drawing the carefully folded net from the loop at his weapon belt and flinging it at the sea-born. "Do not run away, little ssslave!" he taunts in the common tongue.

Move to within 10' of Splash, drawing net (base movement rate is 40', so this shouldn't be a problem).
Net (touch attack): [roll0]
Miss chance (>50 is hit): [roll1]

Well, looks like caught Splash's displaced image. :smalltongue:

Frog Dragon
2010-06-23, 11:35 AM
Draka observes as the mages battle, fairly confident in Alyazi's eventual victory. However, as Alyazi falls, Draka lunges forward, making a wide slash at Splash. "She is my companion, after all."

Charging Splash
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
I'm pretty sure that by attacking splash, I will not be left adjecent to two enemies. Therefore;
Dueling Bonus Damage: [roll2]

Frog Dragon
2010-06-23, 11:36 AM
Forgot to roll for miss chance: [roll0]

Rauthiss
2010-06-23, 10:49 PM
OOC: Can we get some stuff straight? Like, where in the hell is everybody? Last time I checked, Lok and I were on the pirate boat, and the captain and first mate were on the merchant ship. I think Draka and Ssu'lath are still on the merchant ship, while Carlisle and Alyazi (somehow) made it to the pirate ship. Meanwhile, the druids just kind of vanished after being chased by fiendish sharks. Correct?

Reposting. I like Splash and I don't want this game to end, but I have no idea what's going on.

And given Draka's rolls, I'm REALLY hoping he's on the other ship.

Fable Wright
2010-06-23, 11:22 PM
From my understanding, Splash was being sold into slavery before she rebeled, and now team dragon is trying to neutralize her.

Rauthiss
2010-06-23, 11:36 PM
...With all due respect, DMoD... I'll be dropping this game. Reasons spoiled.

Alright, I'll be perfectly honest with you. I like the campaign world, and I like my character. But your DMing style doesn't fit well with me. The first real thing that bothered me was the seemingly immediate PvP. Not only do I dislike PvP as a player, (It has always struck me as making too many players needlessly antagonistic) but the fact that one team got, effectively, a free ship and allies while the other had to pour vital skill ranks into having a ship was a big strike against you.

Once the PvP started, everything went to hell and back. Your style with describing the battlefield was inconsistent at best - I constantly worried that my orbs would be out of range (35 feet is not much in a naval battle) and the positions of the other players. I still have no idea what boat anybody is on or where the hell team druid is. It eventually got to the point where I was reading the other IC threads (Bad practice, but if you ask me, the circumstances warranted it) just to find out what is going on.

Not to mention, your skills as a DM are lax. I admit, it is a hard job - DMing one campaign is hard enough with everything to keep track of. Three separate IC threads was clearly biting off more than you could chew. The fact that my sheet was not looked at and the effects of my spellcasting were ignored is another mark against you, and the fact that despite a readied action, two opponents were able to get onto my boat (!), next to me(!!), all without me knowing(!!!) is another.

When I try my hardest as a player to prevent that sort of shenanigans and end up with a wand of magic missile to my neck, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Clarifications were lacking too - when I asked where people were, I got a description of the situation, but no information at all on where people were.

I really do not wish to burn any bridges - you are a wonderful person to talk to, and the kindness you showed at times was wonderful - the fiat with benign transposition is a perfect example of fiat to keep the story going. I support that, I really do. I just think you need more experience with DMing PbP games. I like your campaign ideas, and hope that we can have more fun experiences in the future.

Good luck to the rest of the players, and enjoy your game!

Fable Wright
2010-06-23, 11:54 PM
Yeah, this is my first PbP post game I've DMed. Personally, I thought that after all of the players showed up, then there would be diplomacy between the characters. I thought team pirate would attempt, at the very least, to contact team druid. Team druid decided to do nothing, until they were bored enough to steal from team pirate (they had some good rolls), which just found another conflict. I (heavy-handedly) tried to get team dragon to help team pirate. They wouldn't. After the combat ended, I wanted to try to introduce a multi-party storyline, but I never had the chance. I'm just not cut out for DMing. If someone wants to salvage the game, go ahead. But I'm bowing out. Sorry.

Ajadea
2010-06-24, 12:11 AM
((OOC: I'm sorry you guys are dropping out. I enjoyed playing with you. To be honest, I had no clue we started in a PvP situation. I just did...I guess what most people would do if the situation had involved NPC's. Blast away. Once I figured out that there were players on the recieving end of my scorching rays, I started rolling with the punches to preserve everyone's roleplaying experience as best as I could. Incidentally, here's what I think happened during the battle.

Someone ended up on the merchant ship, Splash swapped places with that person, everything kinda blew up...and we all end up on the merchant ship. Alyazi doesn't move at all, just fires a scorching ray at Splash. Splash moves away, and Carlisle gets an AOO. Splash then casts her rainbow beam, Alyazi goes down to disabled, and I realize my character concept would keep fighting at all costs, so I cross my fingers and hope for it to miss, which it does. Draka shows up and attacks, and you two drop out.

Rauthiss
2010-06-24, 12:16 AM
Someone ended up on the merchant ship, Splash swapped places with that person, everything kinda blew up...and we all end up on the merchant ship. Alyazi doesn't move at all, just fires a scorching ray at Splash. Splash moves away, and Carlisle gets an AOO. Splash then casts her rainbow beam, Alyazi goes down to disabled, and I realize my character concept would keep fighting at all costs, so I cross my fingers and hope for it to miss, which it does. Draka shows up and attacks, and you two drop out.
See, here is the problem. This is what I thought happened -
Lok makes his way to the merchant ship, and Splash makes him and the captain switch places. First mate gets over on his own. C&1M are on Merchant ship, L&S are on plant ship, when you all come out. Somehow, A&C corner S, and then all hell breaks loose. Then D&SS vanish over to plant ship too.

Forever Curious
2010-06-24, 12:16 AM
((Hmm...well, I've recently taken on a major DM undertaking (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157324) and was going to participate in the PrC Challenge... so i guess now is a good time to drop as well. It was fun while it lasted, though. Great characters all around, and I hope we can play again sometime.))

Fable Wright
2010-06-24, 12:17 AM
You forgot the part where Talore, from team druid, dropped out. Not all problems, NPC or not, need to be solved with violence.

Ajadea
2010-06-24, 12:24 AM
((It was fun while it lasted, though.))