PDA

View Full Version : [E6 D&D] Weapon Procs

Gan The Grey
2010-06-22, 03:38 AM
I had a neat idea the other day that I wanted to explore for my E6 game, but I suppose that the idea would work just as well for traditional 3.5. I don't expect this idea to appeal to most players, but some might enjoy the additional options.

In addition to the traditional magic weapon special abilities, there are also special abilities that replace their critical hits with some other effect. These are called Proc Abilities. Unlike many of the other weapon special abilities, Proc Abilities are completely outside the control of the user, only activating during a successfully confirmed critical hit. Additionally, Proc Abilities still function against creatures that would normal be immune to critical hits. Obviously, weapons with higher ranges of critical threats proc more often than ones with narrower ranges. Weapons with a x2 critical multiplier act normally, with x3 weapons proccing twice as powerful, and x4 proccing thrice as powerful. See individual ability descriptions for explanations or exceptions.

Healing – When a Healing weapon procs, the weapon’s bearer is healed an amount of damage equal to 1d8. This only functions on melee weapons.

Moderate conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Cure Moderate Wounds; Price +1 bonus.

Healing, Improved – As Healing, but the healing is equal to 2d8.

Moderate conjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Cure Serious Wounds; Price +2 bonus.

Healing, Gracious – As Healing, but all allies within 30ft are also healed equal to the half the amount rolled, minimum 1.

Moderate conjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Cure Moderate Wounds and Status; Price +2 bonus.

Morale – When a Morale weapon procs, the weapon’s bearer and all allies within 50ft are affected as if by a Bless spell that lasts a number of rounds equal to the weapon’s enhancement bonus. For critical hit multipliers above x2, the bonus to attack rolls and fear saves increases to +2 and +3, respectively.

Moderate enchantment; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Bless; Price +2 bonus.

These are the ones I could come up with off the top of my sleepy head. What does the playground think of this idea, and what other weapon procs would you like to add to this list. E6 compatible enchantments are preferable, but not required.

Morph Bark
2010-06-22, 03:47 AM
Healing there sucks. I'd make it more equivalent to Cure spells and have the enhancement bonus be equal to the spell level (1d8 per enhancement bonus sounds good). You only crit every so often, rather rarely unless it's a keen scimitar or rapier, even if you hit tons. You could otherwise make it so procs only occur on natural 20s, even if the crit range is greater.

Gan The Grey
2010-06-22, 03:58 AM
Healing there sucks. I'd make it more equivalent to Cure spells and have the enhancement bonus be equal to the spell level (1d8 per enhancement bonus sounds good). You only crit every so often, rather rarely unless it's a keen scimitar or rapier, even if you hit tons. You could otherwise make it so procs only occur on natural 20s, even if the crit range is greater.

That's the thing. I want it to be variable. I want people to build their weapons to specifically take advantage of these procs. Yes, the healing is low, but if you build your character right, it might happen quite a bit. Or, it might happen rarely, but take advantage of a higher crit multiplier.

I do see your point though. Maybe I was being a little cautious to start off with. I'll update it, and see if anyone else cries 'foul'.

Yeturs
2010-06-22, 06:40 AM
So I will admit, i don't know alot about enchanting but... It seems like mass cure wounds might be more appropriate for the gracious enchant.

Mongoose87
2010-06-22, 06:45 AM
I don't think anyone would build their character around 4 HP per crit. Even at low levels, it's not really viable.

Thieves
2010-06-22, 07:13 AM
So I will admit, i don't know alot about enchanting but... It seems like mass cure wounds might be more appropriate for the gracious enchant.

What I was about to say! You stole from a thief. (Which is a good thing.)

I don't think anyone would build their character around 4 HP per crit. Even at low levels, it's not really viable.

Why say 'build'? It could be just a flavorful addition for kind-of-magical weapons. I'd say that adding low-power effects to all mundane weapons wouldn't be unbalancing either, and would be neat. Doesn't a crit on a morning star call for a DC 10 + damage dealt Fort save to avoid being dazed? In my eyes, it's an addition, not a base.

I imagine that you could, however, build some stuff around it. I don't know much about crit ranges and can't even remember if off-hands can crit (RAW is unpredictable), but if you get, say, two 15-20 daggers with some kind of a party buff, you could say that you boost your party nearly all the time, or you can keep an enemy locked / slowed down by mauling him over for Stun with a Huge warhammer. (Yeah, yeah, probabilities aside, you get the drift; "2 x knives to the gut = constant bleeding" stuff, helps you get it if you played MMORPGs.)

Anyway, what is the highest crit range? Also, is there something that increases the crit multiplier?

Mongoose87
2010-06-22, 07:49 AM
That's the thing. I Yes, the healing is low, but if you build your character right, it might happen quite a bit.

This is why I said "build."

Thieves
2010-06-22, 08:08 AM
Oh, right, sorry.

Anyhoo, now I just thought there is some analogy between proccing and 4e-style magic weapons, but me failing to see what it is precisely, I urge you, Gan, to perhaps have look at those. If not for anything, then at least for getting to know what other effects you might want to have there.

Gan The Grey
2010-06-22, 02:20 PM

You'd be right, except I'm trying to build this more towards E6, where spells like that aren't available. As for enchantments that require caster level above 6, I've created a rule that requires custom incantations for enchantments up to 8th level.

Okay fine. But that's not really very helpful. What's your solution to make this viable without being broken?