PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Duskblade/War Mind?

tiercel
2010-06-22, 05:46 AM
Kicking around "fun hitter" character concepts and was poking through psionics resources (since I haven't played much psi before)... was kind of intrigued that there were very few full BAB psi classes (though you can use powers to make up for this, of course).

Duskblade (PHB II) seems like a pretty interesting way to get into War Mind (XPH/SRD), since it's a full BAB entry class that has all Knowledge skills. All you need is a psionic race with intrinsic power point pool and you can avoid a one-level, BAB+0 dip in a psi class to qualify for War Mind.

The combo becomes much more interesting if you can use the arcane channeling ability to deliver touch powers as well as spells. --YMMV depending on DM, but the Sage has explicitly allowed that divine spells and non-duskblade arcane spells can be channeled, so as long as psi-magic transparency rules are in effect, why not psi? Dissipating touch is a nice simple augmentable 1st level power you could channel as long as you can channel powers as well as spells....

5 levels of duskblade gets you several useful cantrips (notably detect magic) as (Sp) abilities, Combat Casting (YMMV again on whether this feat also covers manifesting powers), Quick Cast 1/day, the aforementioned channeling (which is much nicer if you can pump your psi into it, but still lets you use 5d6 shocking grasp hits), and a handful of spells (e.g. resist energy, true strike, ray of enfeeblement, swift expeditious retreat, shocking grasp and touch of fatigue for channeling, acid splash for troll/etc. disposal). You can cast these spells in medium armor if you care to (so mithral full plate is on the table, if you're willing to eat base 20 speed).

As a full BAB build with some damage boosting already you can consider skipping offensive precognition & prescience (less buffing to worry about, as well as not having to burn your few powers-known slots) and just concentrate on defense and having a bag of tricks (fast movement, for instance -- stacking skate with the Speed of Thought feat, though that means you'll want to drop swift expeditious retreat from the duskblade side). If you *can* channel psi, then dissipating touch, hostile empathic transfer start looking pretty good.

Have people built/played this kind of character before? Elan Duskblade5/War Mind 10 seems the simplest 15-level build, taking, say, Power Attack, Speed of Thought, Practiced Manifester, perhaps Expanded Knowledge or even two. It's an open question as to where the last 5 levels might best go (since War Mind has its own psi progression), but in my experience most campaigns don't actually get up to levels 15+.

I know it's no so-called "Tier 1" wizard-plus-six-full-spellcasting-progression-prestige-classes build, but it seemed like an interesting sort of toy build to consider and wanted to see what people here had done with a build like this.

Runestar
2010-06-22, 06:11 AM
I toyed around with a warblade/warmind npc once. The concept was to use standard-action strikes in conjunction with sweeping strike to let me hit 2 targets for the price of one (sorta like steel wind on steroids).

I suspect a dusblade could do the same (affect 2 foes with arcane channeling), though the drawback is that you delay your access to higher lv spells, and full-channeling is just 3 more lvs away.

On that note, I would personally take no more than 5 lvs of warmind (for sweeping strike), subsequent lvs don't really yield anything interesting.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-22, 07:21 AM
Check out the Sanctified Mind in Lords of Madness, it's a 6-level prestige class that gets Fighter BAB and +1 level of manifesting (or +1 divine spellcasting) at the 2nd-6th levels. My favorite War Mind build goes (any Fighter BAB class) 4/ Sanctified Mind 1/ War Mind 10/ Sanctified Mind 5. Crusader or Warblade are probably your best choices for starting out, but Duskblade is definitely a viable choice. With Practiced Manifester that will have a manifester level of 19 at the 20th level, which is good for augmenting your powers. Be sure to pick up the feat Linked Power from CP, which is great for any combat buffing psionic build.

Amphetryon
2010-06-22, 09:12 AM
I toyed around with a warblade/warmind npc once. The concept was to use standard-action strikes in conjunction with sweeping strike to let me hit 2 targets for the price of one (sorta like steel wind on steroids).

I suspect a dusblade could do the same (affect 2 foes with arcane channeling), though the drawback is that you delay your access to higher lv spells, and full-channeling is just 3 more lvs away.

On that note, I would personally take no more than 5 lvs of warmind (for sweeping strike), subsequent lvs don't really yield anything interesting.
Runestar hit all the salient points. Half-Giant Duskblade 13/Abjurant Champion 1/Warmind 5 seems like it would be a lot of fun.

tiercel
2010-06-22, 03:09 PM
The concept was to use standard-action strikes in conjunction with sweeping strike to let me hit 2 targets for the price of one (sorta like steel wind on steroids).

Sweeping strike is an attention-getter, not least of which because you can't necessarily count on being able to full-attack all that often (depending on DM tactics style).

One main thing I could see getting out of continued War Mind levels would be bigger single hits if you can Arcane Channel the psionic powers (augmented dissipating touch) -- the higher manifester level and power points to fuel it would be nice. If the DM won't allow psi to be channeled, then the higher levels of War Mind become a bit less attractive -- then you start looking at whether you really want War Mind "casting" with a splash of Duskblade, or vice versa.

Check out the Sanctified Mind in Lords of Madness, it's a 6-level prestige class that gets Fighter BAB and +1 level of manifesting (or +1 divine spellcasting) at the 2nd-6th levels.

Hmm, that is interesting, though the obvious question is how the +1 level of manifesting from Sanctified Mind works with War Mind 10 (since it has its own unique progression). One could perhaps extrapolate, but it sounds like a DM YMMV call?

Runestar hit all the salient points. Half-Giant Duskblade 13/Abjurant Champion 1/Warmind 5 seems like it would be a lot of fun.

It does seem like a nice combo, though I guess the question becomes when you take what: pure Duskblade until 13? Or is it worth going Duskblade 5/Warmind5/Duskblade 8/AC1, hrm....

...wondering here since if I get to play this, it probably won't be in a 18th level campaign, most games I'm in either start from 1st or low-ish level, peter out once they get into/near the teens for levels. Even one-shot adventures might be 7th or 9th level games, and I'm not sure if it's worth trying to leverage the combo at the midlevels or if I might as well be pure Duskblade instead.