PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox Modern Game

Audious
2010-06-22, 10:35 AM
So I'm going to be running a game to playtest a new d20 system I've been working on that's sort of a mash-up of d20 modern, M&M and Shadowrun. The system itself is setting-less, but I plan on running a sandbox game in which the players are in a newly-formed gang in Chicago and vying for power.

So what I've done so far is slightly flesh out some of the major players: other street gangs, the Mafia family, Vory V Zakone and Korean Mafia and outline their territories in Google Maps.

I've never done a sandbox game like this before and I'm kind of overwhelmed by the whole process and was wondering if I could get some tips.

Also, the other issue I'm running into is whether or not to use Google Maps to mark locations, use for maps for car chases, etc. I feel it could add a huge sense of continuity and authenticity, but I also feel it may slow down gameplay. Thoughts?

Choco
2010-06-22, 10:37 AM
Plan out the surrounding area extensively. The entire city and some suburbs. Major powers, NPC's, agendas, etc. Then set the world in motion, and all you really got to do is react to what the PC's do. If they get bored or are just sitting around waiting for plot hooks attack them with something. Speaking of that, stat up all level-appropriate enemies in the area for random encounters and the like.

That, and this is a good way to build up your improv skills.