PDA

View Full Version : [4ed] PHB3-style Races: houserule

ShaggyMarco
2010-06-22, 12:24 PM
I really like that all PHB3 races have an option with stat selection. This really opens up the classes that can be played very well with any given race. Also, it opens up 60 possible stat combinations-way more than the 2-stat pair's 15 possible. Really, with 60 possible stat combinations, will there ever need to be two races with the same array?

My proposed changes:
PHB 1:
Dragonborn:+2 Strength, +2 Constitution or Charisma. Racial +1 Reflex. Breath weapon works off of any of the 3 stats.
Dwarf: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom or Intelligence.
Eladrin: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or Charisma. Racial +1 Fortitude instead of Will (Feywild Health).
Elf: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence or Wisdom. Racial +1 Fortitude (Feywild Health).
Half-Elf: +2 Charisma, +2 Constitution or Wisdom. Racial +1 to Reflex (Eleven Reflexes)
Halfling: +2 Charisma, +2 Constitution or Dexterity.
Human: +2 Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. Racial +1 to any single non-ac defense instead of +1 to all.
Tiefling: +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution or Charisma. Infernal Wrath keys off any of the 3 stats.

Forgotten Realms:
Drow +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or Charisma.
Genasi+2 Intelligence, +2 Strength or Constitution.

PHB2:
Deva: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence or Charisma. Racial +1 Fortitude
Gnome +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity or Charisma. Racial +1 Fortitude (Feywild health?)
Goliath +2 Constitution, +2 Strength or Wisdom. Racial +1 Reflex instead of Will.
JHalf-Orc +2 Strength, +2 Constitution or Dexterity. Racial +1 Will
Shifter The two sub-races combined do this already. I'll let them stand. Basically, they are "+2 Wisdom, +2 Strength or Dexterity"

Eberron:
Changeling Already done!
Kalashtar: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence or Wisdom. Racial +1 Fortitude.
Warforged: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength or Intelligence. Racial +1 Will

Basically, I wanted to keep existing pairs doable. I also added a +1 NAD bonus whenever the set stat and one of the two variable stats matched a NAD. I always made the NAD bonus the NAD that the race had no corresponding scores to.

I'd like feedback on what I've done. I am not married to any of these arrays, and had a hard time coming up with arrays that I really liked for a couple of the races (Dwarves, Halflings, Goliaths especially).

As far as humans go, their versatility becomes less sexy when ALL races can be versatile, so I gave them a second stat boost, but took away much of their awesome NAD bonus. I would also consider changing their bonus skill to a +2 to any two class skills, but would rather not if the consesnsus is that humans are balanced this way.