PDA

View Full Version : Ascension of BBEG

Aeromyre
2010-06-22, 04:09 PM
Ok so I have decided that the BBEG of my campaign will drink from the water of a tainted holy river of heaven and ascend to Godhood. So the players will not be able to kill him, but they can end the campaign by banishing him from the Prime material plane(s). So after the campaign his clerics and many wizards and sorcerors will chase the party, being his enemies.
How would I handle his becoming a God? Is there a handbook or something that explains this? I couldn't find anything in Dieties and Demigods
This is Pathfinder/3.5.
Thanks for your help

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 04:15 PM
Becoming a deity is very strange in D&D - you need worshipers to be a god, yet there are instances of beings becoming deities first and then acquiring followers, e.g. Finder Wyvernspur.

Anyway, you're the DM - you don't need explicit rules on this, just say he becomes a god. Your players may need help actually getting him to leave the Prime though.

Aeromyre
2010-06-22, 04:20 PM
Becoming a deity is very strange in D&D - you need worshipers to be a god, yet there are instances of beings becoming deities first and then acquiring followers, e.g. Finder Wyvernspur.

Anyway, you're the DM - you don't need explicit rules on this, just say he becomes a god. Your players may need help actually getting him to leave the Prime though.

Ok sounds good, I'll probably just study other gods in Dieties and Demigods and figure out how they work for clerics and what not.
He'll be a god of magic.

Well they'll figure out that they need to stab him in the heart with the primary artifact which is a dagger that allows travel between alternate prime material planes, along with other abilities.

PersonMan
2010-06-22, 04:23 PM
How can they do that if he's a god?

I'd make it so that they can banish him during the ascension process. It doesn't make sense that you could stab a god in the heart, even if you somehow hit them, you'd probably not even scratch them.

Aeromyre
2010-06-22, 04:25 PM

I'd make it so that they can banish him during the ascension process. It doesn't make sense that you could stab a god in the heart, even if you somehow hit them, you'd probably not even scratch them.

Well Yeah that's pretty much what i meant
but then again gods aren't all powerful, especially not new ones.
And it is a very powerful magic item.

DragonsAion
2010-06-22, 05:16 PM
On the SRD there’s something called "divine ranks." I'm not sure but I think rank 1 simply makes you immortal and the higher up you go the more "godly" you are.

Aeromyre
2010-06-22, 05:42 PM
On the SRD there’s something called "divine ranks." I'm not sure but I think rank 1 simply makes you immortal and the higher up you go the more "godly" you are.

Oh good, I had never heard of the SRD, thats a really useful tool thank you :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-06-22, 05:47 PM
Oh good, I had never heard of the SRD, thats a really useful tool thank you :smallbiggrin:

Well then (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/home.html), here's two links to help (http://www.d20srd.org/).

EternalMelon
2010-06-22, 05:48 PM

Isnt that like, the first 3.5 book?

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 05:52 PM

Fantasy literature and myth have shown this to be possible time and again depending on the weapon used and the relative power of the deity in question. In fact in Norse myth the god Balder was slain by an arrow made of the one substance that could hurt him, mistletoe. An artifact of sufficient power (such as the Gray Gem from Dragonlance) could banish, trap or at the least temporarily deny a deity access to a particular material plane.

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 05:57 PM
Isnt that like, the first 3.5 book?

1) Technically it's not a book at all

2) The first 3.5 book would be Miniatures Handbook, IIRC

Aeromyre
2010-06-22, 05:59 PM
Fantasy literature and myth have shown this to be possible time and again depending on the weapon used and the relative power of the deity in question. In fact in Norse myth the god Balder was slain by an arrow made of the one substance that could hurt him, mistletoe. An artifact of sufficient power (such as the Gray Gem from Dragonlance) could banish, trap or at the least temporarily deny a deity access to a particular material plane.

Exactly :D *High 5s Jorda*
No God is Achilles Healless, so to speak.
I think I'll Banish him for 300 years but he'll always find ways to wreak havoc on the party and maybe even gain control of some other person's body, retaining a fraction of his power.

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 06:03 PM
Exactly :D *High 5s Jorda*
No God is Achilles Healless, so to speak.
I think I'll Banish him for 300 years but he'll always find ways to wreak havoc on the party and maybe even gain control of some other person's body, retaining a fraction of his power.

The banishing for 300 years is a good idea and a common theme in all sorts of fantasy games, movies, ect. "You haven't seen the last of meeeeee!" Gods learn to be patient and waiting 300 years to get revenge is nothing to an immortal being, when he comes back I bet he's gonna be piiiiiissed :smalltongue:

I actually ran a game at one point where all the gods had made an agreement not to directly interfere with the Prime because such actions would eventually destroy it. They still exerted their influence through proxies, champions and avatars but I found it much more fun to have the gods play chess with the people and races of the world rather than dropping out of the sky and just crushing everything that displeased them.

Runestar
2010-06-22, 06:05 PM
Anything in 3e can be killed, even gods. That's kinda the downside of having stats. :smallwink:

Morph Bark
2010-06-22, 06:09 PM
Anything in 3e can be killed, even gods. That's kinda the downside of having stats. :smallwink:

I invoke the Law of Pu--imean, It-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.