Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-2 size, +7 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+26
Attack: Gore +16 melee (2d8+15)
Full Attack: Slam +16 melee (2d6+10) and 2 stamps +11 melee (2d6+5);
or gore +16 melee (2d8+15)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Trample 2d8+15, Stampede
Special Qualities: Thundering, Elemental Traits (save immunity to flanking), Spell-Like Abilities, Scent, Immunity to Electricity
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +12, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Listen)
Environment: The Elemental Plane of Air
Organization: Solitary or herd (6-30)
Challenge Rating: ?
Advancement: 12-22 HD (Huge) 23-30 (Gargantuan)
Alignment: Always Neutral
Level Adjustment: —

The creature before you appears to be sculpted out of a thunderhead. A massive, barn-sized buffalo towers over you, its cartwheel-sized hooves resting on thin air. As it leans in to sniff you, its all-too-solid horns crackle with electricity

Thunder Buffalo are enormous creatures, spoken of in hushed tones by shamans who visit the plane of air. Djinni sometimes attempt to domesticate them: while tamable, they are ornery creatures and do not take kindly to such measures. Occasionally one will escape onto the material plane: people usually assume they are a thunderstorm until the enraged, disorientated and confused beast is almost on top of them. Observing a heard galloping through the sky in their natural environment is an awe-inspiring sight, but be sure to bring ear protection: a whole herd makes more noise then your average hurricane.

Thunder Buffalo speak a simplistic dialect of Auran, but usually communicate through bellows and gestures.

Elemental traits:
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
• Not subject to critical hits. (Thunder Buffalo are, unlike most elementals, subject to flanking: they have a clearly defined anatomy, even though their interior nature is nothing but condensed air-essence)
• Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
• Proficient with natural weapons only,
• Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Stampede (Ex)
A frightened herd of Thunder Buffalo flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of Huge size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 3d6 points of damage for each five Buffalo in the herd (Reflex DC 35 half). The save DC is Strength-based.

Thundering (Su)
All of a Thunder Buffalo’s natural weapons are treated as thundering weapons (p. 225 DMG)

Spell Like Abilities
at will- Air Walk (self-only) 3/day Chain Lightning Reflex save DC 16. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I got the idea from the book Summerland by Michael Chabon, who I believe got it from Native North American mythology, although I cannot say for sure (he DID get the idea of Thunderbird from them, though, and I may write up stats for Thunderbird as well: expect something epic). If anyone knows more about the conceptual orgins of Thunder Buffalo, please share: I would like to find out more.

I was thinking DC 10. What do you think?

Debihuman
2010-06-22, 05:37 PM
I like this one a lot. Gore attack is listed as a Slam attack in Full Attack. A little formatting would make it a lot nicer. Needs space between paragraphs for better readability. Darkvision is always listed in Special Qualities.

Debby

The Anarresti
2010-06-22, 07:01 PM
Thank you, but the Slam/Gore problem isn't actually a problem (see, it is Slam, with a different damage, and two stamps OR one gore). If you noticed, I mostly just made modification to the Elephant stat block, so there is probably some copypasta.

Debihuman
2010-06-25, 01:12 PM
A buffalo doesn't have a trunk to slam with. It would attack with its hooves and its horn. It can use it's horns and hooves at the same time.

Attack: Gore +16 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: Gore + 16 melee (2d6+10) and 2 hooves +11 melee (2d8+5)

Debby