PDA

View Full Version : The Best God? (3.X)

gallagher
2010-06-22, 06:02 PM
so, playgrounders, which god is your favorite god in DnD (as far as the 3.X system goes, as it is the only one i am familiar with).

what makes your god your favorite? is it the special abilities? is it the powers it can grant by worshiping it as a cleric? is it the awesome idea of the god itself?

i myself have 3 favorites, and the gods my characters worship themselves will always be one of the three depending on the character i am playing.

If i am playing a good character, i always worship Pelor. he is the god of the sun, and i like the Sun domain for clerics (really good vs undead, their main enemy). Also, the Strength domain is always a good choice for the battle-hardened cleric. if only he had access to the War domain, i would be set and never play an evil cleric again. however, that isnt the case, therefor, my second option...

Erythnul, a truly evil god if there ever was one. my barbarians, my evil clerics, and my rogues all love this god. the War domain is one of my big 4 domains (i also like luck, but that is reserved solely for when i play a gnome cloistered cleric, and switch it out for luck devotion). i once played an evil cloistered cleric of Erythnul with the War and Trickery domains, and boy howdy that was a fun game. also, i like the fact that by playing a cleric of Erythnul, i can act like a barbarian, fight like a barbarian, and instead of raging, i cast spells, which can end up giving me more benefits than raging, and therefor am better than a barbarian. Paladins of Slaughter are also a good choice with this god by their side

My third option i only worship when i am an arcane caster (though i once played a ranger with this option). which god am i talking about? the one and only Vecna. i like his style, he is the Lex Luthor of the gods (the one where he was a self-made man, and hated superman because he didnt work for his power, at least if i recall correctly). he appeals to any full caster, and is vicious and ruthless. he also is a great plot hook.

anyway, what are your favorite gods, and for what reasons?

Morph Bark
2010-06-22, 06:08 PM
If self-made gods count, I think COMMONER (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156931) is my favourite. Though Dorona the do-all Half-Dragon Paladin is a close one.

Out of all DnD stuff... I think Obad-Hai. Fury force of nature, graahh!

Private-Prinny
2010-06-22, 06:12 PM
My personal favorite god has to be Boccob. He's just that detached old magician who happens to be omnipotent. He just doesn't care about what happens on the Material Plane, because he has no investment in it.

And he has awesome domains to boot. :smallbiggrin:

NelKor
2010-06-22, 06:15 PM
I like Orcus my self, he hates everyone and thing, for no real reason other then to hate it.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-22, 06:17 PM
Generally, if I play a Cleric, I'll go with a non-denominational Cleric and just pick the Domains I want. The only reason to go with Pelor is for the Radiant Servant PrC IMHO.

Being a Pan-Thiestic Cleric in Faerun is not a bad choice, since you can pick Domains from the entire pantheon.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-22, 06:19 PM
Personally, Bahamut has been my favorite so far. His ideals don't exactly match my own but they're more in line with them than most other gods.

bigstipidfighte
2010-06-22, 06:21 PM
I'm a fan of Hextor for the fact that he's an evil god who's church still seems approachable, being more powermongering merceneries(just like adventurers!) than evil masterminds.

Kord is right up there too, only cleric I ever played was of Kord, and the Luck domain is a nice one.

Zarus, the human progenitor god from Races of Destiny, has a really awesome backstory along with some very nice domains, namely War and Destiny, which may be my favorite domain ever.

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 06:22 PM
I think Hextor is rather appealing, his history is interesting and his 6 armed demonic form is just so kick-azz looking :D

Sc00by
2010-06-22, 06:34 PM
Myrkul and I don't care that he's dead

(or is he?)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-22, 06:35 PM
Tiamat is my favorite goddess, I just like almost anything related to dragons, and since kobolds (one of my favorite races) are normally Tiamat worshipers it just write itseld.

In eberron I like Balinor, god of the hunt quite a lot I like the mentality of the hunter, and I would actually like to go hunting in RL.

Hextor is nice, because I really like the LN aspect of his church.

Wee Jas and Vecna for my arcane casters, Wee Jas... I don't know... probably I have something for the sorcerer chicks.... and Vecna well he is not Lex Luthor he is Dr. Doom!!! he only looses when it is part of the plan, he could enter Sigil for ... Ao's(?) sake!!!

arguskos
2010-06-22, 06:38 PM
Favorite God(s)? Daaaamn, that's hard. This is assuming 3.X, not 4e, and I will be hitting up setting specific deities. I'll do my top five.

My number 1 is Amaunator, the ancient Netherese god of law and the sun (from the Forgotten Realms). Why? Because he was hardcore back in the day, doing stuff like binding people into unbreakable contracts and sustaining his worshippers for all time to perform their tasks. Downside? Bones said it best: "He's dead, Jim."
Next on the block is Bhaal, the dead god of murder (also from the Realms). Why? Because of the Bhaalspawn Cataclysm that nearly resulted in his rebirth and/or another god of murder rising. Anyone with enough Magnificent bastardry to actually foresee his own death and spawn hundreds of mortal children who's murders would fuel his rebirth is HARDCORE in my book. Downside? He, like Amaunator, is dead, and will be staying that way.
Maanzecorian, the original illithid god of knowledge and mentalism, is third (forget the precise source, sorry). Why? He predates Illesine, but when she arose, he didn't care enough to do anything about it, and just was chillin' like he always had been, dispassionately being badass. However, he ate it when Tenebrous acquired the Last Word and slaughtered him for something he knew and refused to share. Downside? He too, like the others, is dead as a doornail (seeing a pattern here?).
The next one is actually alive! Tharzidun (from Greyhawk) clocks in at slot #4. Why? Well, for one, he's the only god I know that grants Force and Madness as domains, which make me :smallbiggrin:. Second, he's all about entropy and madness and other fun BBEG stuff. Downside? He's imprisoned far far FAR away from anything and were he to be released the multiverse would end. This makes being a cleric of him awkward.
The fifth slot belongs to four gods, all siblings (sorta): Kossuth of Fire, Akadi of Air, Grumbar of Earth, and Ishtasha of Water. Why? These are the Elemental Gods from the Forgotten Realms, and seeing as how I've got a big thing for the elements in D&D, they make my list as a group. Downside? Well, being elementally focused, they don't really care about their mortal followers too much, making them very distant and uncaring gods (except for Kossuth, who is also actively Evil, unlike the others who are all Neutral in nature).

Honorable Mention: Urdlen, the gnomeish god of mindless destruction from the Forgotten Realms. Why? HE IS A GIANT BLIND WHITE MOLE THAT KILLS PEOPLE AND EATS THEM. What more do you want?! Downside: HE IS A GIANT BLIND WHITE MOLE THAT KILLS PEOPLE AND EATS THEM.

EDIT: By the by, Myrkul? He's alive (sorta) just not as a divinity. He is imprisoned in the artifact the Crown of Horns, and is slowly recreating a following through the artifact to try and regain his divinity.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-22, 06:40 PM
Probably my favorite God is Kord. He's like half-Barbarian, half-Viking! He's a greatsword-wielding badass who wrestles dragons! I mean, c'mon, how can you not like that? I even made him the main religion of the main city in my homemade (but mostly generic) setting.

For runners-up, I like Bahamut and Ehlonna. Bahamut is an awesome humongous dragon. Plus, I am a huge fan of the older Final Fantasy games (SNES mostly). My first 3.5 character was a Paladin of Bahamut. As for Ehlonna, she's my favorite nature deity, perfectly balanced between Corellon (who's too elfy and also focused on magic) and Obad-Hai (who is too old and crusty and uncaring). Ehlonna is the fun loving, unicorn riding nature Goddess.

Akal Saris
2010-06-22, 06:47 PM
Probably Reorx from Dragonlance, he's one of the few racial deities that has a really unique character.

I also like Dallah Thaun from Races of the Wild: her and Yondalla's lore (http://alsoavailableindire.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/lore-spotlight-yondalla-and-dallah-thaun-two-sides-of-the-same-coin/) was pretty clever in my opinion.

And the three dead gods from FR have some cool lore as well. (http://alsoavailableindire.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/lore-spotlight-history-of-the-dead-three-knucklebones-skull-bowling-and-the-empty-throne/)

(Shameless linking of previous blogs on those deities!)

Gametime
2010-06-22, 06:52 PM
The one true deity is, always has been, and always shall be, the Burning Hate. PELOR FHTAGN! PELOR FHTAGN!

arguskos
2010-06-22, 06:57 PM
Oh yes, the Dead Gods Three, Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. Through fire and death and the planes themselves did the Three travel, slaying one of the Old Gods and finally coming to rest in Jergal's Bone Palace upon the Fugue Plane. There, they demanded his powers, and so he let them play a game to win his powers, a game of knucklebones, which the beast god Malar interfered, and so they played another game to decide the order in which they selected powers from Jergal. Bane won, and chose tyranny to control mortals. Bhaal selected murder and death to control mortals better than Bane. Myrkul chose the dead and undead to best own the lives of mortals. They each won, in their own way.

Gnorman
2010-06-22, 06:59 PM
Fear the Black Hand of Bane!

Curmudgeon
2010-06-22, 07:02 PM
Since I really don't get religion IRL, I just pick them for their tactical benefits. Kossuth is a good god for a Favored Soul because his favored weapon is the spiked chain.

Noedig
2010-06-22, 07:10 PM
Im also going with Kossuth. Hes elemental, almost lawful evil, and hes made of freaking fire. Plus the way his church is run is hardcore, and a character of mine (Cleric11/Elemental Archon1) was on the fast track to controlling it when the campaign ended.

Susano-wo
2010-06-22, 07:22 PM
Bahamut! Dragons, raar! >:]
Also, he reminds me of all sorts of FF goodness.

Skeppio
2010-06-22, 07:26 PM
Zarus, the Mary Sue Hitler Expy god from Races of Destiny, has a pathetic backstory along with some very nice domains, namely War and Destiny, which may be my favorite domain ever.

Fixed that for you.

TurtleKing
2010-06-22, 07:29 PM
My favorite god would have to be my character that became a Diety at level 5.:smallbiggrin:

Greymane
2010-06-22, 07:29 PM
Arguskos? What the heck, dude? Stop that. Stop liking the best gods.

My favorite is Amaunator from the Forgotten Realms, for much the same reasons arguskos mentioned. I would, however, like to point out that thanks to the Risen Sun Heresy, that Lathander melts away and becomes Amaunator reborn. Can't say that's a bad trade, honestly, given Lathander's extremist tendencies.

I'll mention the deity that was ALMOST at that number one slot.

Brandobaris, the halfling trickster deity from the Forgotten Realms. He pretty much embodies the halfling rogue, and to boot, he's the whole reason the halflings have Luiren as a homeland, having humiliated the deity of ogres in a battle of wits (that the ogre mistook for a battle of brawn). Beautiful.

He's also the only one who knows where the portal on his plane that leads to Tymora's realm is. And he's not telling.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-22, 07:42 PM
Jergal (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jergal), because he's a terrifying doom accountant. His symbol's great, he gives good domains, and he sponsors an adventuring order called the Companions of the Pallid Mask. He's a very restrained and quiet kind of badass.

St. Cuthbert, because there are no problems that can't be solved by smiting things.

Wee Jas, not only because of the LN death god thing, but also because the aspects of magic and vanity make her pretty unique and interesting.
And Ruby Knight Vindicators, of course. Mustn't forget the Ruby Knight Vindicators.

Critical
2010-06-22, 07:51 PM
Non-setting specific, it's a tie between Hextor and Vecna. If Olympic pantheon is in, then definitely Ares. Just look at his freaking picture in Deities and Demigods.

PId6
2010-06-22, 07:57 PM
My favorite? None, because I can't find any one deity with the two lovely domains of Planning and Undeath.

Project_Mayhem
2010-06-22, 07:58 PM
The Traveller, because The Traveller

Mr.Moron
2010-06-22, 07:59 PM
Mechanically speaking Pantheon or Principle worshiping nets you the most flexibility/power.

However on the flavor front I like Rao (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rao_%28Greyhawk%29). Sure the fellas a bit of unknown, but his tenets mean you have to take a more interesting approach to just slaying anything that pings the wrong alignment.

balistafreak
2010-06-22, 08:03 PM
Fharlanghn. Watching other people try to pronounce his name is a bucket of laughs.

Fharl-an-ghn-hn-hn-hn-hn-hn-gurgle-gurgle-gurgle. :smallwink:

Also, Travel Devotion. :smallcool:

Captain Six
2010-06-22, 08:08 PM
I like Obad-Hai. Nature isn't about sunrises and pretty forests. Nature is mountains, deserts, caverns, oceans, volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes and so much more. The focus on forests as "nature" annoys me. Nature can kill you in more ways than anything else combined and Obad-Hai is the only D&D nature god to realize this. Heck he's one of the only deities of any mythology I know of to realize this. Nature is beautiful as it is horrible, as merciful as it is uncaring.

I also give kudos to Fharlanghn. The idea of travel for the sake of the journey itself is a big motivator for most of my heroes.

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 08:25 PM
Fixed that for you.

I agree with 'Hitler Expy,' but I'm not sure what makes him a Sue. :smallconfused:
That term tends to get tossed around a bit.

Anyhow, the Sovereign Host are my favorite. Worship one "deity" for a pile of domains and plenty of acceptance of other faiths, ftw.

Obrysii
2010-06-22, 08:28 PM
Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but Io makes a great deity for clerics.

As he is the "Ninefold Dragon" his portfolio extends to all alignments - so you wouldn't lose spells for changing alignments (good to neutral, or whatever).

The only issue is he tends to be very aloof, so miracles may not be provided as often.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-22, 08:32 PM
Eh... Agnosticism in RL tends to make my characters agnostic. Unless they happen to be not-expies of evil characters with obvious dieties...

Or, of course, if they have to have a deity to keep from having their souls lost... Then I usually use whatever god of magic I can find that accepts the greatest number of alignments...

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 08:40 PM
Or, of course, if they have to have a deity to keep from having their souls lost... Then I usually use whatever god of magic I can find that accepts the greatest number of alignments...

Thankfully, only FR has that nonsensical system.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-22, 08:40 PM
Thankfully, only FR has that nonsensical system.

Unless you have a sadistic DM...

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 08:45 PM
Unless you have a sadistic DM...

Correction then: Only FR has that system, not counting DM-created settings.

erikun
2010-06-22, 09:39 PM
Most clerics I play end up following Pelor/Lathander/Amaunator or St. Cuthbert/Helm, depending on if I'm feeling more good-aligned or lawful-aligned at the time. I also like the occasional moon deity, so Selūne or Eilistraee are also noteworthy.

I'm also a fan of Ulutiu, for my ice mages and such.

My favorite? None, because I can't find any one deity with the two lovely domains of Planning and Undeath.
Wouldn't Vecna be a logical fit for both those domains?

PId6
2010-06-22, 09:44 PM
Wouldn't Vecna be a logical fit for both those domains?
It doesn't make sense, but the lich god doesn't get Undeath domain for some inconceivable reason.

gbprime
2010-06-22, 09:46 PM
It doesn't make sense, but the lich god doesn't get Undeath domain for some inconceivable reason.

There's a reason for that... but it's a secret. :smallamused:

Daelen
2010-06-22, 09:53 PM
I'm really surprised no one mentioned my favorite. Bane is good, Myrkul is alright... but Cyric is where its at. Only a mad genius could have accomplished some of the things he did in his existence. Sure, he got bested by his own trick, but that just means it was a good one.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-22, 10:00 PM
There's a reason for that... but it's a secret. :smallamused:

...I have decided. Vecna's new name is... Xellos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xellos).

Just because of that statement.

He is now also what I'd say is my favorite of the Core Deities.

dextercorvia
2010-06-22, 10:13 PM

I thought the Undeath domain was for fighting against it, hence the extra turning, but then I looked at the spells, and now I'm thinking WTH? I guess it's extra rebuking.

I generally make up a god to go with the domains I want -- like Christopher Lloyd for Time and Travel.

RufusCorvus
2010-06-22, 10:14 PM
Every since Baldur's Gate, I've been a fan of the Dead Three.

Skeppio
2010-06-22, 10:32 PM
I agree with 'Hitler Expy,' but I'm not sure what makes him a Sue. :smallconfused:

He was poisoned because the gods were jealous of him. He's a regualr human, and the gods were jealous of his perfection and saw him as a threat. And when he died, he became a god himself. My Sue detector exploded when I first read his story.

Anyhoo, my fave gods are Gruumsh and Kurtulmak.

Gruumsh to me is the god of Fighting-For-Your-Right-To-Party. Gruumsh is cheated out of land for his people by every "good" god. So screw you, he says, I'm putting my people in all of your stolen lands. Plus he also tried to stop Corellon from releasing the elf goddess who would later beome Lolth, so who's the reall villian?

And of curse, Kurtulmak. The guy who pretty much invented inventing. First made the axe, gemstone tracking via magic and the first currency. And then the complete monster Garl Glittergold buried his whole tribe alive for daring to achieve greatness while Garl's pathetic children, the gnomes, sat around wasting time. And Garl never got punished and is still listed as Good while the inventor who never hurt a fly in his life is listed as Evil....

I think whoever writes the dieties up has a skewed view on morality.

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 10:44 PM

Well, Spell Compendium states that its list of domains (including both Planning and Undeath) were intended to be given to fitting deities by the DM.)

Anyhoo, the closest I could find to Planning and Undeath on one is the Sovereign Host from Eberron - they have Planning and Deathless.

(Deathless does give you an extra turning attempt, but only one - similar to Sun.)

He was poisoned because the gods were jealous of him. He's a regualr human, and the gods were jealous of his perfection and saw him as a threat. And when he died, he became a god himself. My Sue detector exploded when I first read his story.

Nah, I put that down to propaganda. He wouldn't be the first evil racial god to embellish his origin story, after all (see also: Grummsh and Kurtulmak, whom you mentioned.)

gorfnab
2010-06-22, 10:49 PM
Mystra is just great for character creation. Initiate of Mystra and Sword of the Arcane Order are just fun. Her domains are great too, especially for Cloistered Clerics. Cloistered Cleric 8/ Prestige Paladin 4/ Dweomerkeeper 8 or Cleric 6/ Prestige Paladin 4/ Dweomerkeeper 10

Skeppio
2010-06-22, 11:01 PM
Nah, I put that down to propaganda. He wouldn't be the first evil racial god to embellish his origin story, after all (see also: Grummsh and Kurtulmak, whom you mentioned.)

I didn't think the dieties fluff was meant to be written from their perspective. If it is, I could claim that Io was an abusive careless father who tormented Tiamat until she lashed out and killed Vorel.

Xallace
2010-06-22, 11:02 PM
Kelemvor, Tritherion and Vhaerun are my usual go-to deities.

Kelemvor is a LN knight who wants his worshipers to relieve the populace of the fear of death. Not in a crazy way, but he just wants to let people know what they're in for. I really like that.

Tritherion is a CG deity who's so anti-law that he's on Heironeous' bad side. He's a god of freedom, he's a god of vengeance (like Cuthbert; but cooler!), and he's- for some strange reason- a god of summoning. Plus I associate him with sky blue, and I love that color.

Vhaerun is a CE god of poison, assassins, and male drow! He wants to overthrow the current matriarchal rule of the drow, but not so men can be in charge- oh no, gender equality is what Vhaerun's all about! What's more, he's tired of the drow-elf hatred going on; once genders are equal in drow society, Vhaerun commands that the drow restart peaceful relations with the surface elves so that they can all be one big, happy, elven family. And once that is all accomplished, the combined elves will CRUSH ALL LESSER RACES BENEATH AN IRON ELVEN FIST.

Plus, his holy symbol is a pair of sunglasses. There is no reason not to like Vhaerun.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-06-22, 11:04 PM
I've always wanted to make a wacky, Metal Gear Solid 3-style mini boss squad based off Eberron's Dark Six.

The FURY! (flamethrower?)

The SHADOW! (he cries blood! and is generally pointless!)

The DEVOURER! (uh... he can be the old man with the parrot...)

The KEEPER! (BEES! get it? bees? huh?)

The MOCKERY! (uh... crossbow bolts!)

The... traveler... (rose petals? creepy older women?)

Each of them would shout their name and explode after you kill them.

Edit: and the Lord of Blades could shoot lightning from his hands! And grab peoples' crotches! Kuwabara... kuwabara...

Edit 2, electric boogaloo: Q'barra... Q'barra...

This crap practically writes itself.

And the Inspired are the PATRIOTS!

What a thrill... through Khyber, and Eberron, in the night... what a thrill...
I'd give my dragonmark, not for honor, but for yoooouu...

I'm still in a dream... KEITH BAKER!!

Optimystik
2010-06-22, 11:32 PM
I didn't think the dieties fluff was meant to be written from their perspective. If it is, I could claim that Io was an abusive careless father who tormented Tiamat until she lashed out and killed Vorel.

Of course it's written from the church's perspective. That's the definition of dogma.

"This is the story told in the Book of Zarus, the holy scripture of his church." (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a)

What else would a Zarusite write about him anyway? "Our god is a goosestepping racist bastard, and we have family game night on Fridays?"

Grummsh and Kurtulmak have similarly self-serving stories about how the other gods couldn't stand how honorable and intelligent they were, conspired to cheat/kill them, and they rose to divinity to shepherd their peoples to a golden age. They are no more or less Sue-ish than Zarus' own, trust me.

Da'Shain
2010-06-22, 11:42 PM
Vecna's the best as a character, I'd say. He's the epitome of the Batman wizard. As others have said, he's like Lex Luthor combined with Dr. Doom and iced with a sprinkle of Raistlin Majere. He's by far the most badass god to have risen from mortality. The only being that even might be able to outplot him on their own is Asmodeus. When you can scheme as well as the archetypal god of evil scheming, you know you're the best representation of a mortal who doesn't accept limits that there is.

In terms of following? My favorite is by far the Traveler, of the Dark Six of Eberron. Despite belonging to a pantheon of unadulterated evil, it's chaotic neutral and is thus open to a wide range of non-lawful characters. Its granted domains are awesome (seriously, Artifice, Travel, Trickery? The others rock too, but those are just ridiculously good, IMO), its priests are essentially indistinguishable from crazy vagabonds, its prayers and rites are custom-tailored to each character so long as they involve change in some way, and its portfolios are perhaps the only ones I could wholeheartedly get behind in real life (with the possible exception of chaos). Plus, the Traveler walks the planes itself; it can be anything, anyone you meet, and it can do almost anything and still remain in character. It is at once the most unknowable and yet the most predictable god there is: anything that upsets the order, that forces change, it will do, regardless of what happens.

Hague
2010-06-22, 11:46 PM
I like Laduguer. It kinda reminds me of a deity that would be worshipped by the dwarves in Dwarf Fortress (http://bay12games.com/dwarves) that get cave adapted. Working endlessly day to day with no breaks or partying...

WeeFreeMen
2010-06-22, 11:46 PM
Boccob
Hes omnipotent
Known as the "Uncaring"
Because hes seen everything, done everything, and prolly created half of everything.
God of magic? Yeah, Hes the wizards wizard. 70HD of Pain.

Makiru
2010-06-22, 11:52 PM
I've always wanted to make a wacky, Metal Gear Solid 3-style mini boss squad based off Eberron's Dark Six.

The FURY! (flamethrower?)

The SHADOW! (he cries blood! and is generally pointless!)

The DEVOURER! (uh... he can be the old man with the parrot...)

The KEEPER! (BEES! get it? bees? huh?)

The MOCKERY! (uh... crossbow bolts!)

The... traveler... (rose petals? creepy older women?)

Each of them would shout their name and explode after you kill them.

Edit: and the Lord of Blades could shoot lightning from his hands! And grab peoples' crotches! Kuwabara... kuwabara...

Edit 2, electric boogaloo: Q'barra... Q'barra...

This crap practically writes itself.

And the Inspired are the PATRIOTS!

What a thrill... through Khyber, and Eberron, in the night... what a thrill...
I'd give my dragonmark, not for honor, but for yoooouu...

I'm still in a dream... KEITH BAKER!!

You are awesome and should feel awesome for making that.

Anywho, back to the topic of favorite gods, it really does depend on what I'm playing at the moment. For obvious reasons, the smoke elemental rogue worshiped Ehkahk, Lord of Smoke. The half-farspawn archivist followed Mak Thuum Ngatha for the same reasons.

However, my all-around favorite god has to be...Obox-Ob, Demon Lord of Vermin. First of all, he's the TRUE Prince of Demons; Demogorgon honestly couldn't hold a candle to this guy. We only don't see Obox-Ob much because he got drive-by'd by Miska the Wolf-Spider, who then got punked by the Wind Dukes. Demogorgon only stepped in after the dust had settled to beat off the challengers.

OBOX-OB, however, could just skitter right into the place, pump all these chump-lords full of facehuggers and freak them out with his mere presence. He just has some anger issues he needs to get over first. But, he has the most awesome bro worshipers ever in the ekolid. They make buildings out of souls and doesn't afraid of anything. That's for all the Material Plane meatbags to do for them.

Now that the Blood War has been put on hiatus, this would be the perfect time for my demon bro to haul his butt out of the (categorically) bottom of the Abyss and start himself a martial coup...with a vengeance!

...if you couldn't tell, I think Obox-Ob is really cool and should get some 4e love, cause he kinda got ignored after being introduced in 3.5.

SilveryCord
2010-06-22, 11:53 PM
Lady of Pai-

CockroachTeaParty
2010-06-23, 12:01 AM
Lady of Pai-

Heh heh. I see what you did there.

You are awesome and should feel awesome for making that.

Oh, I know, baby, I know.

"At the end of the Last War, the world was split into... twelve."

"Let's go over the basics of TOB. It's a close-quarters fighting style I developed with Reshar."

"CARCASS CRAB BATTLE!!"

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-23, 12:03 AM
Gond. The Wonder Maker has given black power to his chosen people and encourages them to better themselves through technology.

Gametime
2010-06-23, 12:06 AM
"Let's go over the basics of TOB. It's a close-quarters fighting style I developed with Reshar."

I want you to know that while your previous post just made me giggle, this line had me in stitches.

...Damnit, now I want to play this campaign!

Dacia Brabant
2010-06-23, 12:11 AM
There needs to be more support for The Red Knight, goddess of tactics and strategy in warfare, a.k.a. the goddess of tactical RPG gamers. I mean look, her holy symbol is a knight as in the Chess piece, and her longsword is named Checkmate! Clearly if we worship her and find her favor, we'll win D&D forever.

Also have much love for Wee Jas, which is to say much love for her church, of which cute redheaded goth girls are a significant part. (But really she's a quite interesting character, not just with her odd spheres of influence--a death and love deity?!--but apparently she was responsible for the Rain of Colorless Fire that destroyed many of her own worshipers in the Scarlet Brotherhood a.k.a. Greyhawk Nazis for their crimes committed in her name.) And yeah, Ruby Knight Windicators.

And finally Primus, the number one modron, just because it would be awesome if he transformed Mechanus into a universe-sized robot.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-06-23, 12:15 AM
And finally Primus, the number one modron, just because it would be awesome if he transformed Mechanus into a universe-sized robot.

Well, after Orcus owned Primus with the Last Word, I hear he became a vestige and took up playing bass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I).

Shadowbane
2010-06-23, 12:15 AM

My favorite is Amaunator from the Forgotten Realms, for much the same reasons arguskos mentioned. I would, however, like to point out that thanks to the Risen Sun Heresy, that Lathander melts away and becomes Amaunator reborn. Can't say that's a bad trade, honestly, given Lathander's extremist tendencies.

I'll mention the deity that was ALMOST at that number one slot.

Brandobaris, the halfling trickster deity from the Forgotten Realms. He pretty much embodies the halfling rogue, and to boot, he's the whole reason the halflings have Luiren as a homeland, having humiliated the deity of ogres in a battle of wits (that the ogre mistook for a battle of brawn). Beautiful.

He's also the only one who knows where the portal on his plane that leads to Tymora's realm is. And he's not telling.

Brandobaris is mine, also because of the character of Jak Fleet from the Erevis Cale Trilogy.

Trickster's Hairy Toes!

Makiru
2010-06-23, 12:52 AM
Well, after Orcus owned Primus with the Last Word, I hear he became a vestige and took up playing bass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I).

Don't worry, the Secundi will figure out who gets to succeed him eventually. THE DREAM CAN STILL COME TRUE!

UnChosenOne
2010-06-23, 01:00 AM
I personaly like from Pelor (the burning hate variant). I while the "true Pelor" (NG variant) is one of those seen-a-million-times gods this guy something more... how I should put it... NE variant of Pelor somehow is just one of the most awesome deities that I've seen in the fiction.

CubeB
2010-06-23, 01:07 AM
Let's see...

Bahamut: Because his Paladins are Dragonpeople, which is awesome.

The Becoming God: He's a construct deity literally made from random crap his followers found lying around. (Or, rather, he will be once they find the firstforge and all that.) Therefore, he is a Kludgegod.

...And that's it, really.

...Ia Ia.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-23, 01:26 AM
There needs to be more support for The Red Knight, goddess of tactics and strategy in warfare,

What book is she from?

Also, Cas. Sure most people think he's silly for being a moose headed god, but as someone who has come face to face with a wild moose, I can assure you they ain't funny :smalleek:
Anyways, He was a mortal that made himself a deity by act of will alone. I don't think anyone else has ever done what. I also have a soft spot for gods of revenge :smallredface:

dragonfan6490
2010-06-23, 02:10 AM
Mystra is just great for character creation. Initiate of Mystra and Sword of the Arcane Order are just fun. Her domains are great too, especially for Cloistered Clerics. Cloistered Cleric 8/ Prestige Paladin 4/ Dweomerkeeper 8 or Cleric 6/ Prestige Paladin 4/ Dweomerkeeper 10

I second the Mystra vote. Besides, she can just close off the Weave to all of the followers of the other deities, making it so that they cannot access spells so that her servants can decimate them, causing the other deities to whither away and die from being forgotten. The only deity she'd have to worry about then would be Shar and her Shadow Weave...

Harperfan7
2010-06-23, 02:46 AM
When the scout class came out, I was surprised because I had been trying to make a very similar class for a long time and couldn't quite get it right. The scout is pretty much everything I want out of a class.
Okay, a wilderness rogue/scout/swordsage/transmuter/ruathar/swiftblade is everything I want out of a class, but still - wish I could fit holy liberator in there too
Well, when I discovered Trithereon, it was pretty much the same thing.

1. He's Chaotic Good, and very chaotic good at that, as opposed to say Corellon and Kord who just happen to be CG. He's militantly CG and I love it to death. Why wasn't he in the PHB?
2. He lives in Arvandor and is a human deity (as in, not elven, though I love elves)
3. Favored weapon longsword + war/protection domains? Hell yeah.
4. His clergy often group up with like minded rogues and rangers (and presumably scouts) to do sneaky CG missions. Sounds like I made this guy, seriously.

Harperfan7
2010-06-23, 02:47 AM
I second the Mystra vote. Besides, she can just close off the Weave to all of the followers of the other deities, making it so that they cannot access spells so that her servants can decimate them, causing the other deities to whither away and die from being forgotten. The only deity she'd have to worry about then would be Shar and her Shadow Weave...

I doubt Ao would be all that cool about it either.

Bakkan
2010-06-23, 03:39 AM
First pick: Heironeous the Invincible. Not for mechanics, since (in core at least) he has only one good domain, but his portfolio and flavor actually match my RL beliefs almost perfectly. Also, the longsword is awesome.

Second Pick: Boccob. Knowledge, Magic, and Trickery have to be some of the best domains out there, especially with Knowledge Devotion. Also, I love playing arcane casters. I just wish I know of a good-aligned deity of magic that was as cool.

arguskos
2010-06-23, 03:41 AM
I doubt Ao would be all that cool about it either.
Ao wouldn't give two ****s. Dude doesn't really CARE as long as she does he damn job, and if that involves having to close off the Weave for repairs, so be it. He's significantly more uncaring than people think. Yes, he's been involved like three times, but look at ALL THE STUFF he just lets happen. The Netherese high magic? Karsus's Avatar? The ripping open of the Vast Gate? The Orcgate Wars? Really, people hammer on Ao significantly too much and fail to realize how much stuff he just doesn't give a **** about that was as setting-changing as the Time of Troubles. :smalltongue:

Sorry. Just how I roll.

Technically, that's 4e material, and though I like it in principle, I actually like Lathander as an active deity more in some respects. See, he created the Dawn Cataclysm and helped split Tyche into Tymora and Beshaba (WHO ARE AWESOME BTWS), and I like that Lathander permitted the Risen Sun Heresy to endure and thus keep Amaunator alive.

Dude, you dip into the halfling pantheon and skipped Arvoreen? For shame. :smalltongue: Also, I like how the gnome pantheon kicks the crap out of the halfling one in the Realms.

Doc Roc
2010-06-23, 03:58 AM
Red Knight, the patron of optimization and high strategy.

Wee Jas, also known as WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Jas.
Sponsor of the Windicator order, and one of the only deities of magic who has a verifiably good aligned following outside of the Forgotten Realms.

2xMachina
2010-06-23, 04:07 AM
I tend to choose the deity depending on the character. Part of my roleplaying I guess.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-23, 04:50 AM
If we include Pathfinder gods,
Sarenrae. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Sarenrae)
Fought Spider-Cthulhu (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Rovagug) in the core of the world. Badass.
Cayden Cailean (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean)
Became a god, by accident. Also badass.

Salbazier
2010-06-23, 06:16 AM
Eberron deities. Other settings/religion never interest me. Maybe because Faiths of Eberron is a very good reading (for me) The most interesting ones.. The Traveler and maybe The Godforged.

Eldan
2010-06-23, 07:21 AM
Cayden Cailean (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean)
Became a god, by accident. Also badass.

I second that guy. I've never read any Pathfinder material other than the beta core books, but when I heard of that guy? Love him.

Anyway, my top list depends on whether or not some beings count as gods. Because I prefer planar lords over actual gods. Asmodeus, Orcus, Primus, Mephisto, Anthraxus... all way cooler than most gods. The good high-ups are a little bland for the most part, though.

Well, as for real gods: I honestly can't say if I love Vecna for his awesomeness or hate him for defying the conventions of half the settings for no really good reason. Still cool to use as an opponent for the characters, even if they might not find out all campaign.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 07:59 AM

A) That would violate her portfolio and she'd be next on the chopping block. She got in trouble just for turning it off for evildoers - lights out for everyone would be a much more serious offense.

B) That wouldn't do squat to deities from other settings like Boccob.

DarkEternal
2010-06-23, 08:31 AM
As far as some sort of Dogma and stuff goes, it's Helm. I like his description, his devotion to discipline and his awesomeness all together.

Boccob is pretty fun, as is of course Moradin who like the dwarves itself is awesome by default.

Thieves
2010-06-23, 08:56 AM
Having played only dwarven clerics, I say Moradin, because he kept me rolling "5" or "6" on d20 for half the adventure (anyone got info on divine D&D numerology?), and the Sun, a belief held by the other dwarf. When he got out of the caves the first time he got a sun stroke, had a vision of Sun destroying everything, and became a Prophet of Doom By Sun. Mainly because I wanted to take Sun and Destruction domains, but turned out to be premier material for some butt-crazy RPing.

Tinydwarfman
2010-06-23, 09:01 AM
Cayden Cailean

The only man to get totally smashed, do some crazy ****, and wake up a god the next morning. That's what I'm talking about.
Also, he was an adventurer and takes an active part in the world, which is cool. Decent domains too.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 09:03 AM
Having played only dwarven clerics, I say Moradin, because he kept me rolling "5" or "6" on d20 for half the adventure (anyone got info on divine D&D numerology?), and the Sun, a belief held by the other dwarf. When he got out of the caves the first time he got a sun stroke, had a vision of Sun destroying everything, and became a Prophet of Doom By Sun. Mainly because I wanted to take Sun and Destruction domains, but turned out to be premier material for some butt-crazy RPing.

That's awesome, thumbs up :smallsmile:

Dacia Brabant
2010-06-23, 10:36 PM
What book is she from?

Forgotten Realms. Really I don't see how she's only a demigod when, like Doc Roc said, she's the patron of optimization and that's at least half of D&D. (Although Pun-Pun and the Omnifiscer are probably horning in on her portfolio by now.)

JonestheSpy
2010-06-23, 10:50 PM
Well, when I discovered Trithereon, it was pretty much the same thing.

1. He's Chaotic Good, and very chaotic good at that, as opposed to say Corellon and Kord who just happen to be CG. He's militantly CG and I love it to death. Why wasn't he in the PHB?
2. He lives in Arvandor and is a human deity (as in, not elven, though I love elves)
3. Favored weapon longsword + war/protection domains? Hell yeah.
4. His clergy often group up with like minded rogues and rangers (and presumably scouts) to do sneaky CG missions. Sounds like I made this guy, seriously.

Yeah, all that +11. Totally lame he wasn't in the PH - he pretty much defines chaotic good, as opposed to just being an unruly WWF brute like Kord.

deuxhero
2010-06-23, 10:51 PM
Kelemvor is a LN knight who wants his worshipers to relieve the populace of the fear of death. Not in a crazy way, but he just wants to let people know what they're in for. I really like that.

I thought he was a LE deity that held the soul's of an entire campaign setting hostage to preserve the power of the gods.

Vhaerun does sound cool though.

Wee Jas is cool as is the Red Knight.

I like Cayden Cailean's ideals, but don't they make worshiping him kinda self defeating?

Tavar
2010-06-23, 10:58 PM
I thought he was a LE deity that held the soul's of an entire campaign setting hostage to preserve the power of the gods.

Actually, he tried to stop that. The other gods then brought him up on charges, so he had to continue it. Though I believe he still tries to mitigate the absolute horribleness of the place.

Knaight
2010-06-23, 11:09 PM
A new submission, to continue the list. Pelor, the burning hate.

For one, its an evil sun god, which is inherently awesome. Its also an evil sun god that focuses on healing and burning people, so you have both the competent evil teamwork thing going on, and the prolonged torture thing going on.

deuxhero
2010-06-23, 11:37 PM
Actually, he tried to stop that. The other gods then brought him up on charges, so he had to continue it. Though I believe he still tries to mitigate the absolute horribleness of the place.

So the entire pantheon is holding the souls of the campaign setting hostage.

That's so much of an improvement.

Tavar
2010-06-23, 11:40 PM
So the entire pantheon is holding the souls of the campaign setting hostage.

That's so much of an improvement.

Well, minus him and...the new goddess of Magic, I think. But, yeah. FR has some really messed up stuff.

Coidzor
2010-06-24, 12:10 AM
Well, minus him and...the new goddess of Magic, I think. But, yeah. FR has some really messed up stuff.

Well, it sort of justifies nihilism at least, rather than making it seem like a very silly thing to do in a universe where the gods are a spellscast away.

DracoDei
2010-06-24, 12:40 AM
Allurehn, Goddess of the wereskunks, because I made her (Cluckzor OTOH is basically a story I wanted to tell, rather than someone who is supposed to have much of an effect on a world beyond his clerics).

Agrippa
2010-06-24, 01:31 AM
First pick: Heironeous the Invincible. Not for mechanics, since (in core at least) he has only one good domain, but his portfolio and flavor actually match my RL beliefs almost perfectly. Also, the longsword is awesome.

In First and Second edition he fought using a battle axe instead. And this guy (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Murlynd) is his right hand man.

Gametime
2010-06-24, 02:11 AM
A new submission, to continue the list. Pelor, the burning hate.

For one, its an evil sun god, which is inherently awesome. Its also an evil sun god that focuses on healing and burning people, so you have both the competent evil teamwork thing going on, and the prolonged torture thing going on.

*cough*

The one true deity is, always has been, and always shall be, the Burning Hate.

I suppose the important thing is that there are other believers out there. May the world burn in Pelor's flames.

Doc Roc
2010-06-24, 02:16 AM
*cough*

I suppose the important thing is that there are other believers out there. May the world burn in Pelor's flames.

It's funny till one of your players follows through.