PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/strange character concepts

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-06-22, 07:00 PM
I was reading through the archived threads when I came across two topics like this, but I did not see one posted recently. Just post your interesting/strange character ideas here.

Mine (who I have not gotten to play) is a human ranger drug addict, formerly a bronze dragon palladin. While questing as the noble dragon palladin that he was, he ran afoul of a wizard too powerful for him. The wizard, instead of killing him, level drained him and polymorphed him into a human. Moreover, the wizard placed a curse on him that keeps him from changing his shape for more than one hour at a time. Of course, he still wants to be a dragon. So he pays wizards to polymorph him back into a dragon, even if it is only for one hour at a time. He also started experimenting with hallucenagenics when someone pointed out that they were cheaper than having wizards cast spells on him.He never has much money, because he keeps spending it on hallucenagenics and on shapechanging spells. Mechanically, this proves interesting. He has kept his lightning breath, and because of his hallucenagenics he has a 5% chance to "relapse" during a stressfull situation. This means that his party has to deal with a hallucinating, lightning breathing warrior one in twenty fights. He is adventuring to earn shapeshifting money and to find a way to break his curse.

So, any other strange ideas in the playground?

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 07:13 PM
Ha ha, that's one messed up paladin :smallbiggrin:

Mine is a character who was once the God of Music, wine and Festivals in the first pantheon of gods. He was well loved and had great talent, until he started to consort with demons and devils. As his music and his attitude changed the other gods grew weary of him and found amongst their followers a young musician with talent unlike any mortal they had seen before. In secret the other gods gathered and together they striped their wayward brother of his godly might and giving it to the mortal. Planning to slay him for his disgrace against them the Goddess of Art and Justice made one final plea for her fallen brother. He would be cast down to the world below, and should he somehow find a way to regain even a spark of his former divinity than he will be welcomed back and will have learned a valuable lesson.

At least that's the way Jarech tells it. The haggard bard with the short, ragged white beard and unkempt hair tells the tale to anyone who will listen, claiming loudly that he is a former god and that one day he'll make his big come back. No one believes him of course, and most of the time his ranting eventually gets him run out of town, but sometimes his words ring oddly true and he does have an uncanny knowledge of the cosmos. Still there's no way this croaking old goat could have been a god...could there?

Snake-Aes
2010-06-22, 07:16 PM
Mr Somebody is a normal guy working on his brother's farm daily and quite satisfied with his life.

Except for his deadly, unfathomable fear of mice.

One day, he has a vision. He finally realizes that he is afraid of mice because they are impure beasts, living incarnations of all that is profane and wrong, and God's power is debilitated because of their presence.

He decides he should purge the world from the unclean.
--------------------

This guy is a militant, probably a cleric, who is utterly insane, and has a phobia or mice. He sees mice as beings who not only deserve to die, but spit in the face of all that is good and pure merely by existing. He looks up at anything related to mice as profane, and anything to exterminate them as sacred. His sacred symbol is a mousetrap, and his instability makes him unpredictable. One day he may have a seething hatred against farmers because their stocks attract rats, and on the other he sees them as victims of this unjust world, assaulted daily by the pest. He'll herd people towards his holy quest, and if the world isn't against him, he'll do so publicly.

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 07:18 PM
I wonder how the above character feels about were-rats...hmm :smallbiggrin:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-22, 07:22 PM
I wonder how the above character feels about were-rats...hmm :smallbiggrin:

Pure heresy! How DARE they take on the form of a fell beast willingly? It's so disgusting, and someone would have to be INSANE to even accept such existence!

Darkxarth
2010-06-22, 07:31 PM
Lucky Jack Hawkinson Lucky Jack is a name known throughout the Seven Seas. He's not the fiercest pirate, or the meanest, or the most successful; he is the unluckiest son-of-a-shark there is. He's served on more ships than any other pirate alive. When Lucky Jack boards a ship, everyone else gets off.

His father (Jack Hawkins) left before he knew he was a father and never returned, and at the age of 15 Jack's mother was killed in a fire at the tavern where she worked, while Jack lost his eye to flying debris. He was "shanghaied' aboard the Golden Goose by Captain William "Silverbeard" Ardent. He spent 6 years with Captain William enjoying the pirate's life.

However, his streak of bad luck began when the Golden Goose was attacked by a deadly kraken upon the high seas. The entire ship was destroyed, and Jack was the only survivor. He was picked up by another band of pirates and joined them under Captain Bloodeye. That lasted 4 years until the Virtuous Maid, Bloodeye's ship, met her end among the treacherous reefs of Deadman's Cove. Jack washed ashore on the island and was the only one to survive the giant alligators that prowl the cove, though he lost his hand in the process. He was rescued by another band of pirates who used Deadman's Cove as a treasure trove to store ill-gotten loot. The cycle went on, and Jack served on two more ships before losing his leg to a stray ballista bolt. That earned him the name "Lucky Jack" from the next crew he joined, and when most of them were hauled in by royal privateers two weeks later, they all blamed Lucky Jack. The name stuck and he became an infamous pirate who was said to be cursed by the Devil himself. Lucky Jack has served on more than 30 pirate ships in his 26 years on the sea, including his ten years on the Golden Goose and the Virtuous Maid, which means 28 ships in 16 years! He has filled virtually every crew position but captain at one time or another, but every ship he sails on befalls crippling misfortune soon after he boards.

Eventually, no one, not even the most novice and desperate of pirate crews, would let Lucky Jack join. But an acquaintance of his, Lazy Eddie, a black marketeteer in the pirate port of Los Mizelli, told him there were strange, new pirate bands forming in the north. They plundered among the ice and snow, cutting through the cold in longboats. Lucky Jack journeyed north, intent on joining these frozen pirates. However, once he arrived he realized that although they did travel by boats and commit piracy, they were far from the pirates he was used to. So, Lucky Jack turned south once more, but no longer had a goal. He had long ago given up hope of finding his father; even if Jack Hawkins had not been lost at sea, he would be more than 60 years old now and few pirates live beyond 40 (Lucky Jack being a strange exception at 42). He wanders the lands, looking for something to put meaning back into the life of an old, unsuccessful pirate.

Lucky Jack (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=old+pirate#/d1i6f2)

Snake-Aes
2010-06-22, 07:37 PM
(incoming character taken from O Crânio e o Corvo)
Tex Avery Mako is, at first sight, odd. He himself usually thinks so too, and he is joyful about it. Or depressed.
He is the single paladin of Anilatir, goddess of Inspiration, and if he is anything, it is inspired.

One day, he feels like he should be a martial artist capable of hunting birds by jumping at them as they fly.
Another day, he is the blight that terrorizes the nearby populace by breeding with their animals.
Some time later, he takes on the mantle of the sacred, and starts a peregrination to the statue of the goddess of ambition.
Once there, he realizes how boring that is, and becomes Anilatir's father.
then he realizes how spoiled a child she is and decides to become an oracle whose predictions are made by sparring with the inquirer under heavy influence of drugs.
Then his goddess takes him as her lover.
He succeeds at all those things.
Every new day is an epiphany. Every new minute is state of the art. He is.

Umael
2010-06-22, 08:11 PM
It's been so long, I forgot the character name, but here's my contribution.

Emma-O, the Japanese god of death, was once in love with a mortal woman. It was said that no woman was more beautiful, more kind, more charming, or more witty. But like all women, she was destined to die. Upset by this knowledge, Emma-O swore he would never take her.

My PC, Emma-O's lieutenant, believed this to be folly.

So he killed her.

Emma-O was NOT pleased with him.

As punishment, Emma-O made it so that my character would die many, many, many times, and never get to rest, but always come back. To further this, mechanical things had a habit of simply... not working, or flat out breaking in ways that would hurt him. And slowly, he would heal (always with a scar or two).

In the beginning of the game (modern day BESM, by the by), a ****ome (?) showed up and informed my character that he was going to die. Nothing new at that, so my character thanked the ****ome and looked around.

Just in time to see his oven malfunction and his house catch on fire.

His house's internal fire sprinkler system - is dry.

He goes and grabs the fire extinguisher. The pin is stuck - the extinguisher is useless.

He picks up the phone to call the fire department. The phone line is dead.

He goes to open the frickin' door and the freakin' door knob falls off!

So... resigned to his fate (where he will once again die a horrible, painful death and be brought before Emma-O, berated and scorned, and then tossed back out to live another short while in pain and misery), he simply waits. The fires consume him, he dies.

That, of course, is when the fire trucks show up.

This kind of thing... is typical for that character too.

oxybe
2010-06-22, 08:20 PM
my current D&D character is a pathfinder half-orc wizard/bandito/alchemist/merchant. he's a short, scrawny half-orc in a stetson hat, a poncho, wields a double-barrel wheel-lock pistol (to shoot magic from), rides a magically conjured horse. at least when he's adventuring.

when he's out and about in town, he's wearing a normal cotton shirt and a heavy leather apron as he's working in the alchemy lab / magic item room of the little store. yes, he works at McMagicMart.

he's about as much of a pacifist as an adventurer expecting combat can get. he'll try to incapacitate with Sleep & Color spray and only resort to magic missiles and the like if his life is threatened. much more of a thinker then a do-er, but very much able to step up to the plate if needed.

his learning is "backwards" compared to other mages who learned magic then alchemy. he grew up in a magic-dead zone so he's got a strong background in alchemy/chemistry, engineering, physics... and then he moved out of country. he took to magic pretty quickly but has a "this is a tool to solve practical problems" mindset. to him magic is just another screwdriver or hammer, except it applies to reality itself. where the problem can be anything from a broken chair, a lost key, an angry drunk, a stubborn guard or some sort of eldrich abomination.

the character in the previous campaign was Shump. he was initially a parody of your stereotypical D&D character: a self-serving heavily armed vagrant able to use powerful magic and generally looks down on others (because they're just silly NPCs). oddly enough Shump survived past level 1 and lasted up to level 21, my longest played character, just over 2 years.

it was a slow decent into Chaotic Evil you could see coming a several miles away as he became more and more corrupt and power hungry as the campaign progressed and he became higher level. he knew the lines he could and shouldn't try to cross and enjoyed himself within those lines, leaving a mountain of enemy corpses fried, frozen, melted or worse. he ended up saving the world... not because it was the right thing to do, but because all his favorite stuff was there.

Prime32
2010-06-22, 08:39 PM
Possibly longest/most unusual backstory I ever wrote (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6880.0)

PersonMan
2010-06-22, 08:50 PM
A character concept I've come up with recently is...sort of three characters at once. It's a young girl who had to kill to survive, and as a sort of defense mechanism can no longer perceive faces or recognize people. Eventually she became possessed by a demon, and saw no reason not to obey it. A while later, an angel "possessed" her(trying to fight out the demon/convert her to good). So we have this apathetic girl who has just about no social skills, an evil demon who wants to kill and become a "hero"(backstory involves it fighting against impossible odds, even though it knows it will lose-just to "keep the fun going") and an angel who is constantly harassing the demon and telling the girl to "be good" but can't infringe on her free will...

So like a car with three radically different people in it, two of which are "backseat drivers", one who grabs the wheel and one who just says "turn left here, oh, well, then here...oh, right ther-ah, well then, straight through this-". If I ever get to play this, or figure out the mechanics, it will be awesome.

She also wields an impossibly large sword(8+ feet long).

PId6
2010-06-22, 09:02 PM
A mechanical character concept I've had is a character that never requires me to roll dice. He'll use various means of not rolling abilities like Aura of Perfect Order, Skill Mastery, Moment of Perfect Mind et Al (+ Skill Mastery). His attacks will all target saves, so it's the DM that has to roll the dice for that.

I haven't figured out all the build yet, and it'll almost certainly require very high level, but it'll be awesome once/if I get it to work.

Grumman
2010-06-22, 09:44 PM
Foehn and Co.
A Mephit (counts-as Mephling) Elemental Archon who has her own little all-Mephit adventuring party following her around.

The Planner of the Becoming God.
A Warforged Techsmith, accompanied by the Prototype. As he travels the world, he continues to make improvements to the Prototype, with the eventual goal of creating a body worthy of his god.

Kaje
2010-06-22, 11:05 PM
I've mentioned this one before: Atheist paladin who's currently convinced his powers come from nuclear fission.

Or how about a character who suffers from magically-induced PTSD and keeps having flashbacks to the Vietnam War.

Makiru
2010-06-23, 12:47 AM
Atheist paladin who's currently convinced his powers come from nuclear fission.

Consider that concept stolen.

Virtually every idea I have is mechanical starting out and then I work the fluff of how the character got to that point. I realize that that isn't a very good method, but it is easier to rework flavor for a different setting if you weren't really devoted to the concept from the very beginning.

Any idea I have usually stems from a race/feat/class combination that I find really amusing. My most infamous one (one I've been told I will never be allowed to play in any capacity) is a Kaorti Telepath/Fiend of Possession. The backstory I came up with involved him being kicked out of his cyst for practicing psionics instead of arcane magic, even though it makes more sense for a race that has to stay in armor to live to use casting that doesn't incur ACF. So, instead of letting the Material Plane slowly disassociate him, he simply jumped out of the physical world altogether to become a creature of pure thought. Since then, he's been bouncing between objects and creatures, having the time of his life with no outstanding goals and no desire to propagate the race by capturing and infecting others.

However, I will never get to live that dream, since any DM worth their collection will realize how darn hard it would be to pin that thing down and do any damage that hurts it and not a host without specializing in force spells or Sacred Exorcist.

Another concept that would never get off the ground is a VoP troll that uses the Detach feat to beat evil to death with his own arm, then donates the severed limb as food for the poor and downtrodden. I even found a low ECL troll species to facilitate this (as in single-digit ECL), but most DMs seem to just have irrational fears of troll PCs.

I know there are others, but those are the best ones that didn't make it that I can recollect.

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 01:20 AM
Having a mechanical thingy you find interesting or fun and building a character around it is totally fine (I have a vague concept of a Wizard-spy, based entirely on a couple of spells such as Secret Page and Immanuensis(sp?)). It's when you build a character solely to be Teh Tuffest and then tack on a story to try to justify it that it bugs me.

Characters I've played... A CG 3/4 elf 1/4 succubus (CN succubus grandmother - she has her own story) non-magical Ranger who was kidnapped for use in the Blood Wars and as a result is somewhat unhinged; if she ever finds herself in the Hells again, she will have a mental breakdown from which she will emerge a ruthless, brutal, survivalist CN. Also she makes jewellery and takes trophies from her foes.

My DMPC is a dwarf Knight. She is exiled from her extremely xenophobic homeland for fraternising with elves, among other things, which she did only to protect her brother whose idea it was. She sank into an alcoholic stupor, from which she only emerged when it caused her to hurt a loved one. Since then she has been a teetotalling recovering alcoholic. Also she was turned into an elf, and if I have my way she'll be turned into a human-type midget ("dwarf").

My character in VT's game (others in that game: don't think there's anything much here you won't know, but keep in mind he might not want you seeing this):DB-16 (short for Drawing Board #16, as in "back to the") is a warforged Scout/Ranger. It was built as a hunting golem, several weeks ago. A few weeks ago, its Creator noticed that it was acting strangely, and upon investigation determined that it was sentient. This not being the intent, he gave it its new name, and set about teaching it some stuff.
So, DB-16 is a sniper hunter, who was nearly literally born yesterday. It's TN, just because it hasn't been around long enough nor does it know enough to have developed any real concept of morality. And from the looks of the other characters in this game, it could end up being rather messed up in that regard...

I've also had a young mute Rogue, and an elemental Sorceress whose spells and personality depend on which element rules that particular day.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-23, 01:34 AM
Although I never got into the game before it finished, there was a large Nobilis campaign on campus which spawned an idea for a character.

Roughly the guy was just Joe McEverydude with a penchant for bad horror movies. Through the forces that be, he would up being the Noble of said Bad Horror Movies (TM). Although he's been thrown into an almost surreal experience where the cosmic force of wrestling can shake the light from a blackhole, he still treats it all as if he's in a theatre. As such, where ever he goes, he has a small bag of popcorn and tends to make offhand comments a la MST3K. When problems would actually start, he'd generally throw the popcorn aside, dust off the salt and bust out a chainsaw to slay the oncoming (zombie) hordes.

At least, that was the plan.:smallfrown:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-23, 01:39 AM
I have a character who will (eventually) be a Dread Necromancer/Silver Flame Pyromancer. A Necromancer attempted to turn her into... something, but was stopped mid-way through by members of the Silver Flame, so she has Tomb-Tainted Soul, Dread Necromancer levels, and has lost her memories. Despite her affinity for the undead, her saviors raised her in the Church, and she's very devout about it. The concept amuses me greatly.

Another is a savage hunter who stalks the strongest prey he can find for the purpose of bringing them back to the village shaman for human sacrifice, but has been sent on a quest by said shaman far from home when he'd rather be back with his pregnant wife. The concept of the adventurer on an important quest but with a family back home is classic, but I'm amused by the fact that he's really an evil, fiendish monster, despite that.

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 01:43 AM
Oh yeah, forgot one: My Vampire: The Masquerade character. She was a... one of the crazies. Her... crazy thingy (it's been a while) was surrealist hallucinations. Her story was that she was a real focussed, devoted science student. Shortly before her graduation, her lecturer - who happened to be a vampire - convinced her to try acid, and then Embraced her while she was tripping. So she's basically stuck in an acid trip forever.
Also, because of that she didn't graduate. Since her embrace in the '60s, she's tried to get her degree in Science about 5 times. Every time, something happens just before her graduation to prevent it. She's still fond of animal (and human, and vampire) experiments, though.
When I started playing that game, I went with my then boyfriend. He was playing a... one of the fancypants ones, and he had a fascination with surreal art. So any time my character had one of her "spells", he would get her to describe it in detail.

gallagher
2010-06-23, 01:47 AM
i once made a bard with perform: miming.

wow, that mime sure is inspiring. i feel courageous.

i wonder what kind of miming that is? maybe he is pretending to have a sword and swing it valiently, while giving some sort of flanking bonus...

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-23, 01:54 AM
i once made a bard with perform: miming.

wow, that mime sure is inspiring. i feel courageous.

i wonder what kind of miming that is? maybe he is pretending to have a sword and swing it valiently, while giving some sort of flanking bonus...

Clearly, he was pretending that his enemies were trapped in a box and tried to throw said box into a river.:smalltongue:

gorfnab
2010-06-23, 04:05 AM
I am currently playing a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign. He was a familiar whose master died so he decided to adventure for himself.

oxybe
2010-06-23, 07:05 AM
True Neutral barbarian: he is filled with apathetic rage.

"GRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa... whatever."

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-06-23, 07:17 AM
Another idea: An inteligent arrow soceror with an archer style ranger cohort. The soceror gets shot into melee combat, where it procedes to cast stilled touch range spells/levitate. And of course, the ranger has a t-rex companion or some such.

panaikhan
2010-06-23, 07:28 AM

You could only improve on this surreal perfection, if it was a Narcoleptic (spelling?) TN Barbarian..

"GRRrr...what's the point? ZZzzzzzZZzzzz"

Coplantor
2010-06-23, 08:25 AM
In my current party, I'm playing a transformer with ROCKET PUNCHES! (well, going into that way, I need some more feats and a nice PrC).
Only problem with the character? He was recently activated but had no personality attached to it, so he is just a baby, a baby with an awesome destructive potential.

Also, we have a fighter that believes that she has paladin powers

Lhurgyof
2010-06-23, 02:59 PM
Mr. Bumblebux
Mr. Bumblebux was no normal Umber Hulk. He had a fascination with numbers, and accounting. So thus he was cast away from his clutch. Having a feel for all things lawful and bureaucratic, he stumbled upon a nearby town, whereupon he was taken in by some humble adventurers. He eventually got himself a suit and tie, and set out to do some accounting; and to a lesser extent, adventuring.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-23, 05:52 PM
I've always wanted to play a guy who had no crippling phobias, flaws, or social disorders. He had two loving parents who were not murdered by monsters, did not live under the oppressive tyranny of an evil kind, and had sworn no oaths of vengeance against anyone or anything. He just took out a loan, bought a sword and some armor, and decided to go adventuring because it seemed the most efficient way to get rich.

Knaight
2010-06-23, 06:12 PM
I've always wanted to play a guy who had no crippling phobias, flaws, or social disorders. He had two loving parents who were not murdered by monsters, did not live under the oppressive tyranny of an evil kind, and had sworn no oaths of vengeance against anyone or anything.

Oh yeah?! Well my character is more orphan than your character. :smallbiggrin:

On an unrelated note, it can be really fun to have someone who may have some oath of vengeance, but already has that done by character creation. "Yeah, I swore I would kill this one guy because he had my brother executed. So now he's a rotting corpse, and I'm just staying out of the country for a while." needs to be seen more often. Or better yet. "My commanding officer was going to get all of us soldiers killed, so I killed him first and left the military. Other than the occasional mercenary they send after me, life is pretty cool."

The Glyphstone
2010-06-23, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah?! Well my character is more orphan than your character. :smallbiggrin:

On an unrelated note, it can be really fun to have someone who may have some oath of vengeance, but already has that done by character creation. "Yeah, I swore I would kill this one guy because he had my brother executed. So now he's a rotting corpse, and I'm just staying out of the country for a while." needs to be seen more often. Or better yet. "My commanding officer was going to get all of us soldiers killed, so I killed him first and left the military. Other than the occasional mercenary they send after me, life is pretty cool."

Well, of course, because mine isn't an orphan. He's strange and unusual because nothing horrible happened to make him take up adventuring, he just did it.:smallbiggrin:

Talbot
2010-06-23, 06:55 PM
I played a Wu-Shu character once who was a film-noir style detective who's flaw was that he spoke his noir-style narration aloud and was completely unaware of it.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-23, 06:57 PM
I have a character that's kind of like that; he was a petty con man beguiler, nothing particularly special (I didn't even explain his youth or how he ended up like that), ran into a bad crowd (psychotic halfling, evil druid, very Drow drow, and a thief), played a role in attempting to get some lockpicks for the thief and ended up being an accessory in multiple counts of magical compulsion, murder, arson, and libel (killed everyone in a brothel after Charming the owner into giving us the dirt on her clients, then burned the place to the ground and left the call-sign of some cult there as a scapegoat).

So... kinda like yours.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 07:02 PM
I had a Psiforged Erudite - he was originally programmed to be the ultimate psion, having no limit on his powers known, but a flaw caused him to get caught in a logic loop when he would actually manifest, thus representing the Unique Powers/Day mechanic.

Gensh
2010-06-23, 07:38 PM
There's an NPC I'm fond of hassling the party with who's got a sort of weird story. He's well-known as one of the world's greatest necromancers, a war hero, and is frequently suspected of being a vampire. He is, of course, and like most people in those sorts of situations, he tries to avoid getting attached to people because they get old and die, so for while his only friend was a killoren cleric. Thing is, he fell for his commanding officer during the war and was confused about what to do, so his buddy suggests he get a familiar so he won't be so lonely, like this cat right here, this looks like a nice cat. Surprise, surprise, PaO shenanigans were involved, and the necromancer is high enough level to have speak with familiar. On one occasion, he gave the cat to the party to serve as a guide, and they spent nearly an hour trying to get her to translate a note written in an unknown language before finally giving up on trying to interpret what all the different inflections of "meow" were. I also returned her original class features (homebrewed feat), so the players are slightly confused by the sudden stat bonuses from her Bardic Purring.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-23, 09:18 PM
Monomania is a great character hook. How about a distrustful sort who can only rely on one thing: wood? The back story could be something as simple as seeing his/her family slaughtered by brigands luring rust monsters into the village to destroy metal arms and armor, with a last-minute rescue by Druids with Shillelagh giving the few survivors a chance.

One obvious way to go with this concept is a Wu Jen with wood as their mastered element. But a character who literally needs to "knock on wood" for reassurance is going to want more than that. Enough, even, to give up a caster level for a 1-level dip into Fighter with the Armored Mage ACF (Complete Mage), so he/she can wear darkwood armor (and, later, craft his/her own from Ironwood).

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 10:24 AM
One of my favorites was Zaq's Illumian Truenamer. It's short, so I'll just repost it:

Sanden Xala, an Illumian, was raised reading and re-reading all the great tales and legends of old, and he internalized them. He believes that the stories really tell about the way things either are or should be. As such, he wants to be just like his heroes in the old tales, and he's not above contrivances to get that way, such as hiring actors or prostitutes to play the roles of "cocky rival" (every great hero has a cocky rival!) or "tear-soaked love interest" (every great hero has someone begging him not to risk his life on his latest quest!). However, as time has passed, he understands that while he still wants to be a protagonist in the great story of life, his role is more that of the narrator. He speaks, and it is so. He tends to speak in Truespeak first and Common second, narrating the changes he makes to the battle, setting the scene for the heroes and villains.

Ilmryn
2010-06-24, 10:42 AM
A character concept I've come up with recently is...sort of three characters at once. It's a young girl who had to kill to survive, and as a sort of defense mechanism can no longer perceive faces or recognize people. Eventually she became possessed by a demon, and saw no reason not to obey it. A while later, an angel "possessed" her(trying to fight out the demon/convert her to good). So we have this apathetic girl who has just about no social skills, an evil demon who wants to kill and become a "hero"(backstory involves it fighting against impossible odds, even though it knows it will lose-just to "keep the fun going") and an angel who is constantly harassing the demon and telling the girl to "be good" but can't infringe on her free will...

So like a car with three radically different people in it, two of which are "backseat drivers", one who grabs the wheel and one who just says "turn left here, oh, well, then here...oh, right ther-ah, well then, straight through this-". If I ever get to play this, or figure out the mechanics, it will be awesome.

She also wields an impossibly large sword(8+ feet long).

Is that the half-dragon with the 4d8 sword? With all your weird concepts, you could probably fill this thread all by yourself.

Popertop
2010-06-25, 11:05 AM
A mechanical character concept I've had is a character that never requires me to roll dice. He'll use various means of not rolling abilities like Aura of Perfect Order, Skill Mastery, Moment of Perfect Mind et Al (+ Skill Mastery). His attacks will all target saves, so it's the DM that has to roll the dice for that.

I haven't figured out all the build yet, and it'll almost certainly require very high level, but it'll be awesome once/if I get it to work.

My approach is the exact opposite. I want as many dice rolling as possible.
Rerolling miss chance, extra saving throws, skill checks, SA dice, you name it.

HILARIOUS

Anyways, my character idea started out as trying to break flurry of blows by combining it with two weapon fighting. Then I started using poisons and taking Death Strike(standard action coup de grace) and before I knew it I had a flavorful character concept.

It's not totally fleshed out, but he's out for revenge pretty much.
Not very original I guess, but I could always add to it.