PDA

View Full Version : Great Paladin Deeds (a couple new abilities)

Hiest, monkey
2010-06-22, 07:23 PM
Great Paladin Deeds:
I was browsing the forum and I had an idea for a set of paladin abilities which had game-changing effects, but would effectively sacrifice, or incapacitate the character with their use. These abilities are not meant to be balanced, and will most likely force the player to generate a new character. These abilities should also be used only in dramatic situations, and only with DM permission.

Divine Martyrdom:
Ancient tales are full of heroes entering battle knowing that they will die, and fighting after sustaining horrible injuries. Any paladin using this ability does not fall unconscious if he or she falls to negative hit points, and does not die until she is reduced to negative hit points equal to her maximum hit points. Any paladin who is reduced below -10 hit points, if she has chosen to use this ability, cannot be healed to above -10 by any means short of the direct intervention of a deity. After battle, this paladin can choose to remain alive for 1d6 hours to deliver any important information which can lead to the absolute failure of her mission if not shared. Once a paladin dies from her wounds after using this ability she will most likely not want to be raised from the dead, however, should she be raised, she will have fallen (honorably) and be unable to use any paladin powers. She retains the ability to summon her paladin mount, but this mount no longer receives any additional traits beyond intelligence from being a special paladin mount. The mount is effectively a normal creature of its type with augmented intelligence and the magical beast template.

To use this ability the paladin must have had time before battle (at least 24 hours) to meditate upon the gravity of her decision and commit entirely to her cause. She may not use this ability to commit any action forbidden by her paladin oath.

Should a paladin survive the battle without falling below -10 hit points she does not incur any of the negative effects of this ability.

Hands of a Healer:
Just as a barbarian believes in “an eye for an eye” all sufficiently advanced paladins know that a life may be given for a life. A paladin with this ability can choose to revive a fallen ally from the dead, with any wounds. To do this the paladin must have at least ten points of “lay on hands” available. After reviving an ally from the dead the paladin immediately and permanently falls, extreme factions in the paladinic order may even attempt to seek out and kill the paladin for any use of this ability which the order deems unnecessary. Any paladin who uses this ability must also suffer an additional stigma. Immediately upon raising a comrade, and again at an interval of 1d2 months afterwards, this paladin must suffer a negative level (DC 15 will negates). A wish or miracle spell can delay this effect by 1d3 years, after which it will resume.

To use this ability a paladin must have been taught it by their order. Since this is a closely guarded secret, most young paladins will not know how to perform this sacrifice. This ability must be used on an intact corpse, or all the comprising parts: any limbs which are not present at the time of sacrifice will not be regenerated. This ability may only be used within two days of death.

In the game world these "walking ghosts" will most likely be hermits, unwilling to participate in world affairs, even if they do sustain their own lives with miracle or wish spells. Since this sacrifice can be attempted by those high within the paladin order (the knowledge is forbidden to younger members) these hermits may often have important information for the party.

I threw these together in half an hour, so any balance issues or loopholes are probably not addressed. My goal in these abilities is to put an inherent cap on their use to prevent low level use, or at least inhibit the effectiveness at low level. I was also thinking about giving some powers like this to the other classes, giving the wizard a one shot ludicrously powerful spell which robs him of casting ability, or the druid the ability to meld with the forest and temporarily "Awaken" (as the spell) all local flora and fauna.

Help me out: all advice and criticism is appreciated.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-23, 05:18 AM
For the first ability can you atone?

And on the second, it isn't amazingly useful. I mean, you can do it at a low level, but resurrection isn't an amazingly strange thing-and why does it make you fall?

Mongoose87
2010-06-23, 06:45 AM
These don't really seem worth losing all of your class features for, especially when a cleric can resurrect at a monetary cost.