PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Cleric-based gish help

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-22, 07:23 PM
I'm looking to make a melee cleric build, and honestly, I'm stumped. I've spent days reading and re-reading the Cleric Handbook on brilliantgameologists, I've run through every gish build I've ever played, and none of them feel right.

At this point, I'm really just looking for ideas. I've hit this awful patch of reader's block, and I think the playground can help pull me out of it.

All I ask for the build in question: Preferably cleric based, no psionics, and (as my DM does not have a hard copy of the book) no ToB.

Eldariel
2010-06-22, 07:30 PM
Few good options:

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Generic Cleric PrCs 5 (not necessarily in that order; to get higher level maneuvers, you'd take Cleric PrCs before finishing Vindicator)
Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 5/Knight of the Raven (or Fist of Raziel) 10/Generic Cleric PrC 1
Cleric 4-5/Generic Cleric PrCs 15

Generic Cleric PrCs include:
Church Inquisitor [CDiv]
Contemplative [CDiv]
Radiant Servant (of Pelor; refluff that as desired) [CDiv]
Sacred Exorcist [CDiv]
Divine Oracle [CDiv]
Divine Disciple [PGtF]
Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web Enhancement]

And so on. A non-PrCd build should probably pick Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell and Persist Divine Power, along with some good buffs (Righteous Might, Holy Star, Surge of Fortune, Recitation, Conviction, Miracleables [Giant Size, Draconic Polymorph, Bite of the Werebear, etc.] what-have-you) to get your BAB up and power yourself up.

The Ordained Champ and RKV builds have less need for it due to naturally almost full BAB and other uses for turning but they're still stronger with it, especially later on. Either way you want to use the generic Hour/Level buffs like Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Spikes, Heroes' Feast (Extended), Superior Resistance and so on to buff yourself (and others as desired). And a prepared Heal or two wouldn't hurt either.

Stats should be:
Wis > Str = Con > Cha > Dex & Int; though it varies. Wis should be highest, you want 14 Str and the rest doesn't really matter. High Con is nice, high Cha helps with turning to fuel DMM (though Nightsticks and Reliquary Holy Symbols along with Extra Turning help there) and if you have high Dex (or Polymorph into something with high Dex or whatever), you can use Monk's Belt-base for AC.

High Int gives you some skill points; also consider Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) if wanting more of those. Divine Power makes up for the lost BAB and you'll multiclass a lot anyways. 4x6+Int is a lot of skills for the first level.

Oh yeah, and obviously useful feats beyond DMM: Persist and Extra Turning (which you can support with Planning-domain for Extend Spell and Undeath-domain for Extra Turning), though chances are those dominate your build:
Power Attack
Divine Spell Power
Knowledge Devotion (if using Cloistered Cleric-shell; it gives you the skillpoints and the Knowledge-skills and Knowledge-domain can even be traded for this, though then you lose the skills in class and have to acquire them through a feat (like Education or Planar Touchstone: Knowledge) or something like that)
Quicken Spell
Initiate of Mystra
Divine Might
Crafts

and so on. As you can see, feats are good. So consider Human or Strongheart Halfling as a base race. Something with Wis-bonus is also alright, but the feat is probably stronger.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-22, 07:33 PM
Thanks so much! All I needed was a funnel for the vast amount of information out there. Time to get cracking!

(As a side note, I loved the Being Bane guide. My first thought for improving any character since I read it has been "splash barbarian", even when that is the wrong move entirely. :smalltongue:)

Amphetryon
2010-06-22, 07:39 PM
I like Cleric 7/Ordained Champion 5/Divine Oracle 2/Contemplative 1/Demonwrecker 5, with your book parameters.

Demonwrecker is in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

DMM: Persist is the heart of any Cleric-based gish, but I'm sure you knew that.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-22, 08:12 PM
A minor note, but if you're going to use the Monk's Belt, I'd also recommend hitting up Book of Exalted Deeds for the Luminous Armor line of spells so you can nab the AC bonus from Full plate, Wisdom, and Dexterity.

As for builds, I'd focus on using Cloistered Cleric, massive amounts of PrCs, and delicious Divine Power.

gallagher
2010-06-22, 08:23 PM
cleric gish eh? you already are a good fighter when you hit 4th level spells for divine strength. when you get 5th level casting you get righteous wrath or righteous might or whatever, and that furthers your melee ability.

with DMM persist you will be the bomb with those two. you nolonger have a need for a fighter. if you are a regular cleric (not cloistered) you get heavy armor, so you dont need to rely on the more defensive buffs (though they are still useful). have the strength and war domains and you dont have to prepare the two spells i noted above because they are domain powers.

if you are a cloistered cleric, knowledge devotion it up!

Thurbane
2010-06-22, 09:33 PM
Knight of the Raven (EtCR) - 9/10 casting, full BAB, nice abilities...

Dragon Slayer (1 level drip): has some crappy reqs, but one level is +1 casing, +1 BAB and most importantly, full Martial Weapon proficiency.

...also, don't let (Persist) Divine Power fool you, having a decent BAB without relying on a spell is worthwhile. (Greater) Dispel, AMF etc. are a real possibilitiy.

Eldariel
2010-06-22, 09:50 PM
...also, don't let (Persist) Divine Power fool you, having a decent BAB without relying on a spell is worthwhile. (Greater) Dispel, AMF etc. are a real possibilitiy.

Which is why you pick Initiate of Mystra and pump your CL + Ring of Enduring Arcana + Ring of Spell-Battle + Ring of Greater Counterspells and so on to ensure you never get dispelled and function in AMFs and Dead Magic Zones! Yes, I'm aware Initiate of Mystra is a bit beyond most games in terms of power-level; this is comment is rather intended to produce amusement than to be a statement.

gallagher
2010-06-22, 11:07 PM
Which is why you pick Initiate of Mystra and pump your CL + Ring of Enduring Arcana + Ring of Spell-Battle + Ring of Greater Counterspells and so on to ensure you never get dispelled and function in AMFs and Dead Magic Zones! Yes, I'm aware Initiate of Mystra is a bit beyond most games in terms of power-level; this is comment is rather intended to produce amusement than to be a statement.i am not that good with fullcasters outside of a Cleric (and a druid once). is it that if you pump your CL higher than the CL of the person who cast the AMF, your stuff wont get suppressed in an AMF?

Eldariel
2010-06-22, 11:59 PM
i am not that good with fullcasters outside of a Cleric (and a druid once). is it that if you pump your CL higher than the CL of the person who cast the AMF, your stuff wont get suppressed in an AMF?

No, it's Initiate of Mystra, a feat that enables you to fool around in an AMF and Dead Magic Zones 'cause you bring Mystra where she doesn't otherwise shine! CL buffs are strictly an anti-dispel measure. Well, they of course improve your spells too, but primarily anti-dispel.