PDA

View Full Version : Not spending starting wealth [3.5]

Zaq
2010-06-22, 08:19 PM
So I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon, level 3. I'm at the item-buying stage of character creation, and I have to say, I'm a little stumped. 2,700 gp is kind of a weird number. There's not a lot you can get with it. It's too much to just blow it all on potions and scrolls, but not enough to get any significant number of magic items. Even once you get a masterwork weapon and armor, you still have a non-trivial portion left... but the jump between magical trinkets and magical gear is pretty obvious.

I'm toying with the idea of keeping around half of my starting wealth in gold or other coins, just in the hopes that I'll get more later (and thus be closer to buying the toys I really want). I've never played under this GM before, so I don't know how he handles these things, but I'm not sure that most of my other options are worth it.

Now, obviously, this is a very GM-dependent thing. Some GMs love to give cash, while some tend to use rolled loot. Some vehemently deny access to any magic shops worth mentioning, and some have a Sigilian trader in every town larger than Lickmyorangeballshalfling. Some GMs love having bandits rob you of your coin, while others accept that gold written on your sheet is basically in AdventureBank® and doesn't exist to be stolen. I know this.

Overall, though, in a vacuum, what do you feel about the concept of not spending loot now in the hopes of saving up for better toys sooner? Is this wise, foolish, risky, or downright stupid?

(Alternatively, what can I buy with level 3 wealth that I won't regret before I know it?)

elonin
2010-06-22, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you are at the point where a hewards handy haversack sounds right. Just about anyone can benefit from one of these.

I do have a personal experience of saving some of my level one money and having the dm mangle me at the outset by taking all of my cash but leaving my items. Ended up leaving him after a session or two.

Jorda75
2010-06-22, 08:25 PM
I sometimes keep a small amount of my starting gold but rarely do I keep anywhere near half my starting total. Starting equipment at level 6 can mean the difference between life and death, get a good weapon, good armor and a few little items.

Saving your money as you adventure may not be a bad idea but until you know what this GM is likely to throw at you you should prepare for the worst. He may have you in wild areas or dungeons for most of the adventure or may restrict what you can buy in game. I'd spend it all now if I were you.

nekomata2
2010-06-22, 08:28 PM
The Healing Belt from the MIC is only 750 gp and is something I've never regretted buying on a character at any level.

Keld Denar
2010-06-22, 08:28 PM
Check out Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0). Lots of good buys in there.

Off the top of my head, Anklets of Translocation are dirt cheap.

Least Energy Assault Crystals afix to a masterwork weapon and add one point of damage per hit.

A Healing Belt is AMAZING at that level, and retains its usefulness for a long time, even if you don't actively wear it.

Sc00by
2010-06-22, 08:41 PM
I'd spend it... The Magic Item compendium has loads of cheap bits and bobs that can be situationally useful. Go get a few :)

Thespianus
2010-06-22, 08:42 PM
I would say that if you can't find something wise to spend the money on, keep it.

(Alternatively, what can I buy with level 3 wealth that I won't regret before I know it?)

Depending on what class you're playing, a Healing Belt or Wand of Color Spray can be a great investment to use in a tight spot.

EDIT: Ninjas all over the place. Apparently , they come cheap.

Seatbelt
2010-06-22, 08:42 PM
some good mileage out of an Amber Amulet of Vermin. Summon a huge monstrous scorpion for 10 rounds 1/day? For 750 gp? Nothing better to buy? Sounds good to me. 3 attacks at +11/+11/+6, a ridiculous grapple mod. Around 75 hp...

balistafreak
2010-06-22, 09:09 PM
+1 to the Healing Belt and Amber Amulet of Vermin. The Anklet of Translocation is perhaps a bit expensive at this level, taking up just barely over half of your total wealth, but for those who really need a way to break a grapple or for those who really like teleportation, it's not a bad investment.

Also +1 to Augment Crystals. Many of them emulate feats for a dirt-cheap investment, like the Crystal of Return which emulates Quick Draw. Some of them just give awesome bonuses, like the Crystal of Arrow Catching(?) for a shield which provides an awesome +2 to AC from ranged attacks. Attach to a mithril buckler and watch your wizard's survivability against archers rise dramatically.

Alternatively, a Haversack is fine too. Despite the massive cost, it's an item you'll use forever.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-22, 09:47 PM
some good mileage out of an Amber Amulet of Vermin. Summon a huge monstrous scorpion
Nope. From the Errata:
Page 68 – Amber Amulet of Vermin (table) [Substitution]
The scorpion size is incorrect. The Vermin entry on line five should read: “Large monstrous scorpion.”

holywhippet
2010-06-22, 09:57 PM
If you have cure light wounds in your spell list, consider getting a wand of it. It's better value for money than scrolls or potions which do the same.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-22, 10:17 PM
Augmentation crystals, they are the poor man's magic. I'm seconding the least crystal of return. It is a freaking godsend. It's quckdraw for 300gp (ok, technically 600-and-change counting the masterwork component, but we were already buying an MW weapon regardless.) the energy assault crystals are also nice, but I'd rather have a backup weapon at hand than an extra point of damage.

Ironward diamonds are DR 1/- for 500gp a pop

Boots of stomping (600gp for a 15 ft cone that can knock opponents prone)
Brute Gauntlets (500gp for more melee damage)
Chronocharms are all 500 gp and each give some useful 1/day abilities (I like the Horizon walker one the best)
skill shards range from 50-200 and grant either a +2 or a +5 bonus to a single skill roll.

ryzouken
2010-06-22, 10:25 PM
Everlasting Rations, Replenishing Skin, mw armor (if mithril, there's most of your gold).

Everlasting Rations, Replenishing Skin, Healing Belt, Watch Lamp if you can't see in the dark...

tons of good stuff to grab in the MiC. I definitely recommend the E Rations and R Skin at minimum. Not having to track/buy food and water is at the top of my desired effects list.

IonDragon
2010-06-22, 10:28 PM
I've found this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) helpful at many different levels.

Friend Computer
2010-06-22, 10:59 PM
Retainers are always useful. Hire a few henchmen. At level 3, 1st level warriors with ranged weapons can still help out. I find 3 of them is a good number. Enough to help out in a tight spot, but not enough to be much of a pain if the DM decides to be mean and have them mutiny, even though the book price is 3sp/day and you payed them 5+...

Fax Celestis
2010-06-22, 11:34 PM
Buy a house (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#buyingBuildings).

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-22, 11:59 PM
I also vote for a healer's belt and crystals. I'd also like to point out everlasting rations and an everfull mug. Or the traveler's cloak.

awa
2010-06-23, 12:18 AM
even though the scorpion is only size large its a great investment even at relativly high levels it can still make your enemy waste time killing it.