PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: PC Quirks

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 12:00 AM
Does anyone give their characters traits, quirks, or just strage things that they like to do? Post them here!

I'll start:
My Sorc character, Jack Redwave, likes to do battle in caves, hideouts, and castles, and then once the enemies have all been killed, he raids their kitchens and pantries, stealing their food. After all, they aren't going to be eationg it anytime soon :belkar:heh heh:belkar:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-23, 12:10 AM
I had a Spellguard of Silvermoon who would begin gulping whenever under stress or talking to a superior. The campaign died pretty fast, but she was still a fun character to play.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 12:11 AM
I had a Spellguard of Silvermoon who would begin gulping whenever under stress or talking to a superior. The campaign died pretty fast, but she was still a fun character to play.

Yay! Role-playing! though my campaign might die out pretty soon as well

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-06-23, 07:07 AM
I have an elf soceror with a cloak of holding which has no capacity limit, so he takes everything he can. The maps are just lying on the table. Swipe them. The rare monster is dead. Stuff it in the cloak. You only need the floor of the sarcophogus to block the trap door. No problem. Take the lid and mummy, and then cut off the sides and stuff them into the cloak. He has become a real packrat due to the cloak, and due to the low costs of some mundane items in the PHB. (3 gp for a year's supply of firewood. Guess who filled a 20X20 foot room with chopped wood:smallbiggrin:)

panaikhan
2010-06-23, 07:17 AM
Quirks...

Well, my Warforged Artificer (called 'Glitch') always talks in third person, and thinks of itself, at least gender-wise, in the same context as a chair.

I had a Rogue with a 'hat of disguise', who used it to look exactly like the enemy he was in the thick of - except for a red-and-white knitted hat...

I had a shapeshifter Druid, who hated human form so spent as long as possible in the form of a black raven, and posing as the wizard's familiar. Once she obtained the ability to cast while wild-shaped, this got a whole lot funnier.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-06-23, 07:42 AM
I have a Rogue who grew up on the street, where food was scarce, so now she always asks the tavern owner if he has apples she can take. She always has at least 5 apples stowed away in her pockets or her bag.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 08:32 AM
apples, pack-rats and food theives, oh my!

the humanity
2010-06-23, 12:48 PM
I have an oratory bard who makes his normal talking needlessly complex.

"well, there appears to be a great oaken door on either side of the tower, we must open this one as it is the closest and it locks the heavy padlocked handle of the aforementioned other door."

he usually will just throw in a weird word while he talks, but gems like that pop out every once and a while.

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-23, 02:05 PM
I have a vampire in V:TM that quotes classical literature after killing victims.

For example, he's beaten another vampire to the ground, he places his Winchester '73 to his opponent's temple and says: "Quoth the raven, nevermore.", before shooting him.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 02:15 PM
I have a vampire in V:TM that quotes classical literature after killing victims.

For example, he's beaten another vampire to the ground, he places his Winchester '73 to his opponent's temple and says: "Quoth the raven, nevermore.", before shooting him.

i must admit, that sounds pretty B.A:belkar:

Akal Saris
2010-06-23, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I did something similar on a crusader in a Kingdoms of Kalamar game, he flipped to a random page of the bible for directions on any important decisions. Pretty much doing my best Pulp Fiction impersonation.

Other quirks...on my 4E psion, she frequently sends mental messages to other party members by accident with whatever she's currently thinking about, i.e. "Hmm...should I have the chicken or the fish?"

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 02:22 PM
Other quirks...on my 4E psion, she frequently sends mental messages to other party members by accident with whatever she's currently thinking about, i.e. "Hmm...should I have the chicken or the fish?"

ha ha ha! LOL:elan:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-23, 02:25 PM
Ennael removes her combat scars every other month by peeling her skin off and then have regeneration cast on it. She also posses a board of Punching Chess. She also doesn't like fish.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 02:28 PM
Ennael removes her combat scars every other month by peeling her skin off and then have regeneration cast on it. She also posses a board of Punching Chess. She also doesn't like fish.

that sounds brutal, neat!

WarKitty
2010-06-23, 02:29 PM
My Kellen (NE druid) has a tendency to try to eat anything the party has killed that looks remotely edible. Including goblins, trolls, etc. Justified by being a druid. Hey, that's how nature should work, don't waste all that good meat!

Bigbrother87
2010-06-23, 02:33 PM
I have a player who likes to joke around. He's learning not to joke around where it could be taken as In Character conversation, but due to past comments:

He woke up a sleeping Fire Lizard that then burned his character into ash.

He also joked that he touched said fire lizard in an intimate manner, which led to the toasting he received, AND he now has a reputation for liking lizards and reptiles that is known over half the continent. So much so that when a half-dragon joined the party, and and learned his name, her first words to him were "don't even think about it." He's a half-elf, by the way.

Honestly unrelated, but oddly going together with the previous events, his comments, twice, that he "likes turtles" has led a giant 10 foot wide turtle to appear during a fight the first time, and a 20 foot giant turtle to appear behind a door the second time. There are advantages to already having the god of reptiles and randomness, Pun Pun, in the area... :)

That first turtle then shrunk to normal size and became living stone, again due to his random comments. It's name is Stony.

He is truly the most fun player I have in my game right now.

Malificus
2010-06-23, 02:38 PM
I had Rosalyn, high priestess of the Bomb God.

She would often be called in to disarm bombs.

She never failed, but she threw grenades as part of the disarming rites, much to the dismay of her coworkers.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-23, 02:39 PM
I had Rosalyn, high priestess of the Bomb God.

She would often be called in to disarm bombs.

She never failed, but she threw grenades as part of the disarming rites, much to the dismay of her coworkers.

Bringing new meanings to BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! eh? I ought to try that.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-23, 02:52 PM
Zardok, wizard, madman, big spender.

The thing he enjoyed doing was throwing his money around. Magic Items? Adventuring Gear? Nah, that's a waste of money.

Buying all the booze from the local taverns, several animals from nearby farms and space in the town square all so he can throw a massive party/BBQ in the town square? A good investment of several hundred gold.

Scrolls? Donating to the poor? Paying for useful services? Frivolous!

Getting several hundred gold converted into copper coins, then loading it all in a wheel barrow, then running into a small town schoolhouse and dumping it all on the floor? Obviously a wise decision!

Developing new spells? Utility Wands? Pointless!

Contracting a team of gnomish alchemists and wizards to develop a new outfit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxAd2sHtMf0&feature=related) for him? Doesn't see how there is any other choice.

BRC
2010-06-23, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I did something similar on a crusader in a Kingdoms of Kalamar game, he flipped to a random page of the bible for directions on any important decisions. Pretty much doing my best Pulp Fiction impersonation.

I had an NPC assassin (Actually just a high level rogue) who spoke only by quoting Shakespeare.

Umael
2010-06-23, 04:20 PM
Elf sorcerer. More carnivorous than herbivorous. Had a wagon with a barrel full of salt for preserving meat. Said meat included diced hobgoblin, orc, ogre... whatever was available. Used presdigitation for flavoring.

(Edit: Forgot - he had his teeth filed to points.)

2010-06-23, 04:46 PM
...a cloak of holding which has no capacity limit...

I want that for my next character, and I'll pretty much do exactly the same thing with it. Of course, I normally play stealthy characters so it'll be like Garrett from the Thief series; by the time you're ready to leave the level, you're carrying five times your weight in silver candlesticks and everything valuable that wasn't nailed down has disappeared mysteriously.

I normally try to find a quirk for a given character that is helpful to the group and can help to make decisions in combat. (Read that article in the Gaming section on the left there about Making Tough Decisions if you haven't already. It's a good one.) My Warforged Fighter (4e, because full attacking is horribly dull) is protective of everyone in his group, and will normally advocate napalming any room that might contain a threat because of it. Fun times.

OMG PONIES
2010-06-23, 04:56 PM
I've had...
-a wizard who insists on teleporting everywhere in his comfy chair.
-A scout who only travels by dancing.
-A woman who was in love with her brother.
-A pirate who was secretly in love with his sister (above) and named his ship after her.
-A shaman who only speaks in a heavy Jamaican dialect.
-A warforged who wanted to be human so bad, he would splash mugs full of ale on his face while his partymembers drank.
-The same warforged who, in another attempt to be human, drew on a moustache.
-A kender with OCD who survived entirely on luck rolls.
-A wizard who insists on wearing an immaculately-kept three-piece suit wherever he goes.
-The same wizard who, whenever given a beverage, casts prestidigitation to make it taste like a cappucino (but only AFTER sticking his finger in it and going PSSSSSSSH).
-A bard/warlock with tuberculosis.
-A factotum/archivist who desperately wants the party to believe he is a trained medical doctor, even though he is getting them addicted to various drugs (Book of Vile Darkness)...er, I mean "vitamins."
-A duskblade who hides his intelligence for fear that it would make him seem weak.

But I wouldn't call any of them quirky, per se.

gdiddy
2010-06-23, 05:07 PM
Sir Thomas Falhurst, the elite array ubercharging knight with Asperger Syndrome. He would get nervous in any situation where there were too many people. Obsessively, he would clean and talk to his horse, Chester.

He was a nice guy.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-23, 05:15 PM
I have a Gnome Bardbarian who when looting a body would take everything. He has several sets of clothes, including women's clothes, lots of pointless items and a lucky random bit of treasure got him a ring of spell turning... at level 9

Prime32
2010-06-23, 05:21 PM
-The same warforged who, in another attempt to be human, drew on a moustache.http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4949/turna.jpg
*couldn't find a pic of Haro with drawn-on moustache*

*is ashamed*

Greenish
2010-06-23, 05:26 PM
There was a tragically short-lived halfling who honestly thought he could "take on" anyone and everyone. He initiated all the combats the party got on (which is to say, both of them) before his demise.

Another was a kobold who insisted that he is a great wyrm dragon, and that everyone should treat him as such. He kept most of his wealth as gold coins and other valuables, and slept curled over his bag of holding.

Swok
2010-06-23, 05:27 PM
Dixon Lynch, the Knowledge Devotion Swift hunter who's obsessed with books. If there is a book that is unclaimed, chances are he will want it. Is very abrasive and has a tendency to lecture when it is revealed someone does not know the weaknesses and strengths of [insert monster here].

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 05:28 PM
I've had...
-A scout who only travels by dancing.
-A woman who was in love with her brother.
-A pirate who was secretly in love with his sister (above) and named his ship after her.
-A warforged who wanted to be human so bad, he would splash mugs full of ale on his face while his partymembers drank.
-The same warforged who, in another attempt to be human, drew on a moustache.
-A kender with OCD who survived entirely on luck rolls.
-A wizard who insists on wearing an immaculately-kept three-piece suit wherever he goes.
-The same wizard who, whenever given a beverage, casts prestidigitation to make it taste like a cappucino (but only AFTER sticking his finger in it and going PSSSSSSSH).
-A bard/warlock with tuberculosis.
-A factotum/archivist who desperately wants the party to believe he is a trained medical doctor, even though he is getting them addicted to various drugs (Book of Vile Darkness)...er, I mean "vitamins."
-A duskblade who hides his intelligence for fear that it would make him seem weak.

But I wouldn't call any of them quirky, per se.

incest, jamaicans, and mustaches, that sounds quirky to me

(or is that kinky?)

tahu88810
2010-06-23, 05:33 PM
I once played a knight of Breland in 3.5 Eberron who's idea of courage was charging recklessly into battle. Often by charging down doors.
Things went badly when a ledge was directly on teh other side of a door that shot paralyzing poison, and he found himself prone and surrounded by cultists.
After surviving that, he took the cowardly approach of waiting for the door to be opened, and -then- charging. At one point the party had to infiltrate a castle through the city sewers, and he dealt with the Driders that lurked in part of a sewer complex behind a stone door by literally filling said area to the top with oil and then throwing a torch towards the door while a psion opened it.
He died in that same adventure after the party, still acting like goofs from the flaming sewer incident, threw a series of four elemental potions into a furnace. Said potions, when interacting with 'flames' turned into various elementals. When thrown in all at once, you get a huge air-fire-water-earth elemental that is very, very angry. Needlessly to say, in order to defend the party he charged out of the alcove, and the wizard's invisibility sphere, with his lance, was promptly disarmed, and never even got a chance to draw his longsword before dieing.

He was later replaced by an awakened cat psion telekineticist.

skeeter_dan
2010-06-23, 06:31 PM
You know that annoying Rogue that always volunteers to inspect the bodies and always uses Sleight of Hand to stash a few extra valuables each time? That was me, except I always took the thing that had little to no value whatsoever. The character just loved having things: it didn't matter whether they actually had any legitimate value, he just wanted the most stuff. The DM played along and had most of the baddies carry random personal belongings like marbles, feathers, and other oddities such as a vial of dead bugs.

He was very secretive, of course, and never let anyone know he was taking more than his "fair share" of the treasure.

Ormur
2010-06-23, 10:37 PM
The problem with being a skill-monkey/caster that dumps strength and has a taste for bulky luxuries before WBL affords you some extra-dimensional space is low carrying capacity. The solution, to hire a valet.

My character is pretending to be of high birth so naturally he did so. He carried his armour, weapons and other necessary tools of the trade himself while the valet carries the wine bottles, the silver chalice, the folding chair and table. I just bought a lovely set of chess pieces too. I hope to conduct the next battle with my character sitting in his folding chair and absent-mindedly lopping out ranged spells in-between moves.

Probably the closest thing I have to a quirk. Some of the ones here really crack me up. I've got to try them sometime.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-23, 10:43 PM
I think everyone here has come up with some really neat character bits and pieces

Cealocanth
2010-06-23, 10:47 PM
My character is very, very new. still lvl 1, and play sessions are few and far between. This is why I've had little time to develop any weird quirks.

The biggest flaw/quirk he has is his major perfectionist problem. That combined with his holier than thou standards and inability to work as anything but the leader, and you have the perfect palladin, just noble enough to be a jerk to any people of Chaos, and just noble enough to be a natural leader.

Just to clarify, he is Anti-Chaos. Everything must go this way, no exeptions. If the law says you have to go this way, there are no exeptions. If somone sees that the punishment is unfair, too bad. The only thing that can sway him is sound logic and facts to support it.

Fawsto
2010-06-23, 10:52 PM
I love to play my characters as the only sane man around. This is quite interesting when the group aproches situations like "Well, we go up Mount Doom and kill the Dragon. Simple business". These normaly lead into a "What?! Are you all crazy?! It is a friggin active VOLCANO! And it is a DRAGON! You know, big scally monsters who eat people?! It is not "SIMPLE!""

Clovis
2010-06-24, 07:06 AM
Does drinking count? My wizard keeps drinking ever so often. Found a barrel of wine in BBEG's cellar? Open and sample. Fizzy stuff on the enemy mage's table? Swipe and enjoy. Hard day of fighting? Dwarf spirits at campsite. If he's drinking more than usual, I voluntarily make CON checks and if I fail, it's spell failure or even wild magic time. Other players/PCs naturally disapprove a bit. Except the monk and the meatshield who always join in the revelry.

Darkxarth
2010-06-24, 08:59 AM
I've had...
This is full of awesome. Next time I play a high-level game, I am stealing this idea.

"What do you mean 'what kind of accent is this?' It's a Troll accent. Jamaican me crazy..."

My current character in the Pathfinder game I am playing is a Half-Elf Sorcerer who is also an actual stage magician with ranks in Sleight of Hand, a top hat and tuxedo, playing cards, metal rings, etc. He always fills up the dead spaces by juggling or insisting one of the other party members take a card. No, take this card.

Greenish
2010-06-24, 10:11 AM
Does drinking count? My wizard keeps drinking ever so often. Found a barrel of wine in BBEG's cellar? Open and sample. Fizzy stuff on the enemy mage's table? Swipe and enjoy. Hard day of fighting? Dwarf spirits at campsite. If he's drinking more than usual, I voluntarily make CON checks and if I fail, it's spell failure or even wild magic time. Other players/PCs naturally disapprove a bit. Except the monk and the meatshield who always join in the revelry.The monk is obviously heading for the best prestige class ever.

boomwolf
2010-06-24, 11:48 AM
I had a sorcerer with blue dragon hertiage that was sappire addicted. And an assassin that had split personality and constantly talked to himself.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-24, 11:50 AM
how does a split personality character affect the game?

mucat
2010-06-24, 01:16 PM
Let's see:

Stuffily academic wizard who maintains proper decorum at all times, regards every adventure as scientific expedition, and assumes that everyone else shares his priorities. Cites the relevant paper before casting any unusual spell; to cast it without crediting its inventor would be plagiarism. If a rogue were to find a bajillion gold pieces, he would offer his sincere condolences, since the find included no publishable data. Might eventually loosen up enough to begin calling his party members by their first names, rather than "Ms. X", "Dr. Y", and so on.

Middle-aged druid with grown children who cannot quite accept that his twenty-year-old adventuring companions are full adults. Part of him strongly believes that it's his job to keep the "kids" in the group safe, even though he knows they're more capable than he is at many things. One of the fighters was killed by a trap, which the druid now regards as the most shameful failing of his life.

Young Pathfinder wizard who is a revolutionary anarchist (her family hails from Galt, a nation in the Pathfinder Chronicles which is essentially a version of France where the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror have never ended) in a campaign where politics are likely to take center stage. Also is a gourmet who loves the good things in life and spams Prestdigitation to make sure she and her traveling companions have all the comforts of home.

And of course, a mad artificer who is a giant walking quirk. Talks in a thick Russian Karnathi accent, gives all her attention to her projects, resulting in a very vague grasp on what's happening around her. Fortunately has a homunculus who does pay attention, keeps her from walking into open sewers, and will telepathically explain what's going on whenever she gets confused.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-24, 01:23 PM
My best-friend has a monk character, and its favorite improvised weapon to use is throwing chairs at people, anything from footstools to thrones.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 01:29 PM
My best-friend has a monk character, and its favorite improvised weapon to use is throwing chairs at people, anything from footstools to thrones.

Metal folding chairs always catch people flatfooted.

jguy
2010-06-24, 02:30 PM
I have a Cleric of Boccob//Sorcerer gestalt character named Jack Honeytongue (self named!) who was literally made of magic. He glowed with it even. He was addicted to magic, finding every single magic item like a hit of crack and kept wanting more. He was a play boy all around, smoozing with everyone and had a girl in every port (half-orc woman seemed to really like him)

He would use prestidigitation to clean himself, others to make them love him, flavor food to make quick friends, and turn others hair pink who annoyed him. He has a real vindictive streak too. If someone stole from him or tried to attack him he became absolutely brutal for such a charismatic man.

OMG PONIES
2010-06-24, 03:04 PM
Let's see:

Stuffily academic wizard who maintains proper decorum at all times, regards every adventure as scientific expedition, and assumes that everyone else shares his priorities. Cites the relevant paper before casting any unusual spell; to cast it without crediting its inventor would be plagiarism. If a rogue were to find a bajillion gold pieces, he would offer his sincere condolences, since the find included no publishable data. Might eventually loosen up enough to begin calling his party members by their first names, rather than "Ms. X", "Dr. Y", and so on.

What's quirky about being a professional? Honestly though, that wizard sounds truly awesome. Permission to steal?

Also, forgot one from my list above:
-An artificer who was fiercely determined to proving that there is a scientific explanation for everything. He refused to believe in magic, which led to some interesting conversations with the casters in the party. The same artificer attested that he was "from the future," though nobody believed him. His home had working electric lights, refrigerator, and other modern conveniences.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 03:07 PM
As long as he doesn't act like a brickhead and goes in denial.
I mean, practicality demands that if he can't explain why, but can use it, he'll do so. That's what the scientific methods are all about after all :p

OMG PONIES
2010-06-24, 03:13 PM
Most of the party members thought it was hilarious enough that they never backed him into a corner about it. Pity, really. His conversion would have been excellent, deeming magic the new technology and whatnot.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 03:15 PM
Most of the party members thought it was hilarious enough that they never backed him into a corner about it. Pity, really. His conversion would have been excellent, deeming magic the new technology and whatnot.

True. If he sees a zombie, instead of making him go in denial, have him put the zombie on a treadmill to recharge the house's batteries.

Greenish
2010-06-24, 03:16 PM
-An artificer who was fiercely determined to proving that there is a scientific explanation for everything. He refused to believe in magic, which led to some interesting conversations with the casters in the party. The same artificer attested that he was "from the future," though nobody believed him. His home had working electric lights, refrigerator, and other modern conveniences.If magic were real (as it is in D&D), it would be a valid scientific explanation and a field of study. D&D magic is extremely predictable and repeatable phenomenon, so obviously you could use scientific method to study it and formulate "scientific explanations", though I think the word "hypothesis" would be more appropriate.

OMG PONIES
2010-06-24, 03:23 PM
True. If he sees a zombie, instead of making him go in denial, have him put the zombie on a treadmill to recharge the house's batteries.

Haha, undead treadmills were actually how he powered his generator. He also had an undead chef, whose cooking he always complained about. Good times.

huttj509
2010-06-24, 04:42 PM
Fast talking halfling named Biggles _________

If the party's worried bout traps? "No problem, that's why they call me Biggles Trapspringer"

Stealth? "I can handle it or my name isn't Biggles Sneakpad"

Guards? "Let Biggles Silvertongue handle this one"

Combat? "I'm not called Biggles Kidneys because of dinner last week"

Etc.

huttj509
2010-06-24, 04:46 PM
What's quirky about being a professional? Honestly though, that wizard sounds truly awesome. Permission to steal?

Quirky: 1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy:

It is frequently used in common speech just to refer to things outside the, I guess, social norm, but even someone rigidly adhering to social norms could be termed a quirk of their personality.

Clovis
2010-06-25, 07:47 AM
The monk is obviously heading for the best prestige class ever.

Yes, the Drunken Master has been mentioned a few times...

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-30, 03:20 PM
Update: my monk friend who enjoys throwing chairs is going to go for the Drunken Master class, this'll be fun...

Umael
2010-06-30, 03:42 PM
He always fills up the dead spaces by juggling or insisting one of the other party members take a card. No, take this card.

I missed this one.

"Here, take a card."
"Okay. Hey, why does this card say explosive ru-" *BOOM!*

In GURPS, your characters are made on a point-buy system for everything. To help you budget for it, you can get extra points by taking disadvantages. You can also take up to five quirks for a little more. Seemed like a good idea for any game.

The trouble for me is that a lot of the time "quirks" become "integral parts of the concept". I had a Mage that was a "wolf-demon", as in had the head of a wolf. I played a gay dwarf with an accent that was a cross between the stereotypical gay lisp and a dwarf's guttural growl. There was even a brief game with an elf masquerading as a rogue (but was really a sorcerer) (this is the same one had a thing for eating the flesh of other sentient beings).

mucat
2010-06-30, 03:54 PM
In GURPS, your characters are made on a point-buy system for everything. To help you budget for it, you can get extra points by taking disadvantages. You can also take up to five quirks for a little more. Seemed like a good idea for any game.

The trouble for me is that a lot of the time "quirks" become "integral parts of the concept".
You call tht a trouble? I call it "proof that the GURPS designers knew exactly what they were doing with the Quirk system!"

Snake-Aes
2010-06-30, 04:00 PM
Our new campaign involves an ageless (I love thee, Wedded to History)changeling warblade/psion gestalt with an insatiable thirst for creating legends with each form she can come up with.

She loves to throw around "I am fully functional" jokes to the too-serious folk.
And Coolness forever trumps efficiency.
Wearing a coat? Are you MAD? When I change into Glory and reach the villain's hideout on that snowy mountain, I will do so on fire!

Kantolin
2010-06-30, 04:02 PM
I had a lot of fun with a psion with an artistic psicrystal. Said psicrystal spent about half the game talking to various people in their minds with incredibly unwanted critiques about various things they have and their qualities. But as the psicrystal sounded like it was my voice (insofar as mental statements have a voice imprint), so most of the other characters assumed it was me speaking telepathically.

Finally, someone said, "Look, Mitt, I don't care that my sword could be of better quality, it's my father's!"

Mitt: "O-o Why did I ask...." *Swerves to psicrystal* "WHAT am I bothering my friends with?!

Psicrystal: "I didn't do anything! His sword is just - "

Mitt: "Sorry guys, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I'll be sure to stop I from doing that in the future." *Smacks psicrystal*

^_^ This then led to tons more fun as Mitt had trouble, pronoun-wise especially, verbally telling his psicrystal apart from himself.

Beyond that, I've had great success with my (different) half-orc psychic warrior speaking with an accent when he talks, and not at all when he's speaking through the mindlink. He's explained in game that the reason he speaks the way he does is because it's hard to speak common around his long tusks, but it's not hard to /think/ around his tusks.

With work he can speak with what most people consider normal, but he only does that if it would be detrimental for him to speak normally. He isn't particularly concerned if people think he's stupid, since he knows he isn't. ^_^

(He was asked if he'd ever considered shaving his tusks down so he could talk normally, and took great offense at that similar to the offense most humans get if you had asked them to reduce their 'bust' size or 'package' size, but that was just another fun part of it).

I then have a goblin paladin who is a 'Knight of the Wolf', and he's the most religious character I've ever played (Heironeous). He frequently spouts out parables and scripture, and I've had tons of fun writing said parables.

Umael
2010-06-30, 04:02 PM
You call tht a trouble? I call it "proof that the GURPS designers knew exactly what they were doing with the Quirk system!"

I'm the kind of player who plays the "secretly albino" character as a quirk that develops into "Fear: Sunlight" and "Obsession: Swords of Legacy", BEFORE I realize that we start in a nation where the local superstitution holds all albinos as demon-possessed. What starts as a habit of flipping a coin turns my character into Two-Face.

Basically, what starts a mild case of quirk becomes an inflection of character angst and drama.

(I'm working on a drow character right now - I can't think of anything about her that is just a "quirk", since every single quirk is a hint of some mental imbalance issue she has. I suppose you could see something like, "well if Blind is a disadvantage, wearing sunglasses indoors is just a quirk", but still...

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-06-30, 04:34 PM
I have a gnome wizard named "Northrop Forkineye, Lord of the Trout." He casts trout theamed spells, such as "trout missle," a force trout that strikes its target unerringly, or "prestitroutitation," which produce minor magical effects accompanied by the smell of trout. He learned his spells from his mentor Morris the Astral trout who hovers in the astral plane over Northrups shoulder. Needless to say Northrup spends alot of time talking to the invisible trout that floats over his left shoulder. His quirks have lead to the partys crazy monk calling Northrop a trout multiple times.

(Please excuse my poor punctuation as my keyboard broke halfway through the reply so now my shift key is stuck in the on position.)