PDA

View Full Version : Magicless world optimization challenge [3.5]

Procyonpi
2010-06-23, 07:17 AM
Okay, I just thought of a fun challenge:

1. You are in a world that is surrounded by a giant anti-magic field.
2. The field cannot be dispelled or removed in any way, and you cannot leave this world through any means.
3. Optimize a Wizard build.

Ranos
2010-06-23, 07:30 AM
Wizard 20. Martial study.
Iron heart surge.
Alternatively, cheater of mystra.

Aharon
2010-06-23, 07:42 AM
What is cheater of mystra? I only know Initiate of Mystra. Do you mean those? I think they get a CL check to cast in an AMF, is that what you meant?

There's also that spell in Lords of Madness, 9th level, lets you cast in an AMF. But to survive till then is going to be hard.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-23, 07:51 AM
Shadow Weave Magic.

Iron Heart Surge would indeed remove the AMF, though given the situation it would likely be refreshed immediately anyway.

Initiate of Mystra is indeed another way around this, though you would need three levels of Cleric to get it.

JeenLeen
2010-06-23, 10:35 AM
I'd say using the ideas above, but using PrC or multi-classing (if allowed) to make a gish. Losing caster levels isn't much of a hit in this world, while the extra HP and BAB are probably worth it; just get the 9th level spells so that you can get that spell to cast in AMF.

Though maybe that's not possible (or too tough) if you go Initiate of Mystra.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 11:09 AM
Once you have your magic, you can find whatever is generating the field (a monolith of some kind?) and cover it up with something, blocking the emanation. This would neither be "dispelling nor removing" it, since the field still exists; it just has a more restricted range.

Alternatively, use your magic to construct a floating sanctuary in a bubble, which will give it total cover relative to the AMF - your magic will function normally inside your paradise without relying on continuous tricks. You can then field armies of called creatures and lob orbs from safety.