PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help ...

Eadin
2010-06-23, 08:50 AM
Hi guys!
I'd like to play a game!
Problem is , I Know absolutely nothing about dungeons and dragons and all that other stuff (yeah, I know it's probably a rare thing here).
I've been looking all over this forum, but I can't really seem to find any game I can join, because just about all of them use DnD rules or something similar (or maybe I should look harder...)
So I'm wondering if someone would want to run a freeform-like game for me and of course other people who are interested...
Soooo... anyone wanna help me out ?:smallbiggrin:
(OMG I suck at this :smallfrown: )

Coplantor
2010-06-23, 08:54 AM
Well, there is actually a free form forum somewhere...

Let me check... Ha! Here it is! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)

Good luck!

Eadin
2010-06-23, 08:59 AM
yay thanks!
I should go buy myself some glasses...:smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2010-06-23, 09:05 AM
Dont worry, I guess it's easy to miss, considering that it is a sub forum of the Silly Message Board Games.

Strawberries
2010-06-23, 04:08 PM
Also, if you'd like to learn to play D&D there is this excellent (free and legal) resource on the web

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

and you could join a game for beginners in the pbp section. That's what I did :smallbiggrin:.

Eadin
2010-06-23, 05:09 PM
Also, if you'd like to learn to play D&D there is this excellent (free and legal) resource on the web

and you could join a game for beginners in the pbp section. That's what I did :smallbiggrin:.

yay! thankyou!

GolemsVoice
2010-06-23, 05:29 PM
Do you have a local gaming store nearby? They often have beginner's nights, or can at least explain the basics to you. Doesn't hurt to try!

Also, the Roleplaying subforum. Can't go wrong there, either, just don't let all the rules-heavy talk confuse you.

Eadin
2010-06-23, 05:52 PM
Do you have a local gaming store nearby? They often have beginner's nights, or can at least explain the basics to you. Doesn't hurt to try!

Also, the Roleplaying subforum. Can't go wrong there, either, just don't let all the rules-heavy talk confuse you.

uhm, I don't know .
I know one, but they only do warhammer stuff...
I'll ask around, thanks for the advice :)

SensFan
2010-06-23, 06:10 PM
If you're looking for someone to run a newbie-friendly D&D game, I'm more than happy to do so. Just let me know :)

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-23, 06:21 PM
uhm, I don't know .
I know one, but they only do warhammer stuff...
I'll ask around, thanks for the advice :)

That's an advantage, actually, in that they don't D&D.

Well, if they do Warhammer the wargame, that's not the same as Warhammer RPG. But if they do Warhammer RPG, it's mostly a better (well, in my opinion) choice than D&D.

Remember kids: D&D is not the end-all be-all RPG system out there! Being stuck with it is a lamentable fate!

((Note: Trying other systems and preferring D&D to them is not the same as being stuck with it. I'm mostly referring to people who start with D&D and refuse to ever look at another RPG.))

Jokasti
2010-06-23, 06:22 PM
You should look into the FFRP section.

Pheehelm
2010-06-23, 07:33 PM

and you could join a game for beginners in the pbp section. That's what I did . Is the SRD really sufficient though? I've read most of it (all the better to get the jokes in OotS), but I get the impression there's a lot of material exclusive to the books I'd need to be familiar with to really get into that, and those're way out of my budget.

If you're looking for someone to run a newbie-friendly D&D game, I'm more than happy to do so. Just let me know :) I'm interested!

Dragero
2010-06-23, 08:50 PM
REMEMBER:

The SRD uses 3rd (3.5 actualy) edition D&D rules. The stuff you`ll find in a store is 4th edition D&D. BIG RULES DIFFRENCE.

The SRD does not have: (Off the top of my head)

Experience tables (Tell you how much XP per level)

Wealth by level (How much gold you should get each level)

Certain monsters (Mindflayers, drow?, ect)

Pretty pictures

Also, most 3.5 stuff has been out of print for YEARS. Ebay is your friend. (Got the Monster manual, Dungeon master guide, and player handbook for less than $100)

Quick description:

3.5= Near endless creativity engine. Tons of books to use as resources, Tons of fun stuff. (Also fun rules quirks Aka: Pun Pun)

4th= Great battle simulator, a bit dumbed down, less content to work with. (Better if you are more into fighting than.....well....mostly anything else)

Also, you may want to check out a site called Crystalkeep for free acess to a LOT of 3.5 material

Thajocoth
2010-06-23, 10:18 PM
4th= Great battle simulator, a bit dumbed down, less content to work with. (Better if you are more into fighting than.....well....mostly anything else)

This is incorrect. 4e is constantly gaining new content and has a lot of options as-is, and while it has a lot of things that are specific to fighting, it can easily do a lot more than that, especially with a good DM. The rules are simple enough for me, while most RPGs are not, so I'd also say it's easier to learn.

littlebottom
2010-06-24, 12:00 AM
i would say that 4th ed is better for fighter classes, because its less off a "i attack..... i attack......i attack" doing the same roll over and over, since it gives you more options, but the mages suffer with less spells, less chances for creativity in that sense. but generally speaking still fun.

i play LOADS of different RP systems, from DnD 3.5 to 4th ed, to WFRP to CoC to cthulu tech, to anima beyond fantasy, to Legend of the 5 rings to gorden bennit theres loads more.. i cant be bothered to list em :smallbiggrin: this comes from having a group of people who all want to GM their own systems :smallwink:

GolemsVoice
2010-06-24, 12:15 AM
If you ever want to know anything about Call of CThulhu, I'm your man. Basic Roleplaying System isn't hard to learn, though you might need advice concerning the "mythology".

I'd even run a game, but I fear I don't have the time.

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 12:32 AM
Is the SRD really sufficient though? I've read most of it (all the better to get the jokes in OotS), but I get the impression there's a lot of material exclusive to the books I'd need to be familiar with to really get into that, and those're way out of my budget.

Well, I applied in a couple of games that were SRD-only, and the only thing I needed help with was character creation. Of course you're going to miss stuff, but it's a decent way to get into the game (I then borrowed the phb and a couple of other books, but that's pretty much all that I'm playing with). You just need a patient DM.

Also, Call of Chtulhu also has a decent free guide for beginners (thanks OzCymru for pointing it out to me and agreeing to be my keeper :smallbiggrin:)

http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=87

Eadin
2010-06-24, 05:47 AM
If you're looking for someone to run a newbie-friendly D&D game, I'm more than happy to do so. Just let me know :)

That would be great :)

Eadin
2010-06-24, 05:49 AM
That's an advantage, actually, in that they don't D&D.

Well, if they do Warhammer the wargame, that's not the same as Warhammer RPG. But if they do Warhammer RPG, it's mostly a better (well, in my opinion) choice than D&D.

Remember kids: D&D is not the end-all be-all RPG system out there! Being stuck with it is a lamentable fate!

((Note: Trying other systems and preferring D&D to them is not the same as being stuck with it. I'm mostly referring to people who start with D&D and refuse to ever look at another RPG.))

No, they only do the wargame, although the shop owner might be familiar with the rpg. I'll ask him next time I see him

Eadin
2010-06-24, 05:51 AM
If you ever want to know anything about Call of CThulhu, I'm your man. Basic Roleplaying System isn't hard to learn, though you might need advice concerning the "mythology".

I'd even run a game, but I fear I don't have the time.

I LOVE Lovecraft, didn't know there was an actual CThulhu rpg :o

Coplantor
2010-06-24, 07:35 AM
There are bore than one, you have chaosiums's Call of Cthulhu, there's also a CoC with d20 rules, you have the mock game Pokethulhu, and my current favourite Cthulhutech, where eldritch horrors meet giant mecha.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 07:51 AM
There are bore than one, you have chaosiums's Call of Cthulhu, there's also a CoC with d20 rules, you have the mock game Pokethulhu, and my current favourite Cthulhutech, where eldritch horrors meet giant mecha.

Oh my oO
Sounds interesting though

GolemsVoice
2010-06-24, 10:24 AM
You being from Belgium, there's the chance that you know some German. If so, I highly suggest getting Pegasus' German books, either ina ddition to or as a replacement for the Chaosium ones. They've got all the basic books (the system is the same, and the books are written to be used together), and some additional material that Chaosium doesn't have, and the books are of higher quality, both in printing and writing, than the English ones.

I believe both Chaosium and Pegasus ahve free basic rules online. In general, most role-playing games, especially from "smaller" companies, have free basic rules online.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 10:35 AM
You being from Belgium, there's the chance that you know some German.

Yeah, I know some German. But not enough to actually read a whole book in that language (I barely know how to ask where the restroom is )
I'll check out the internet for some basic rules and such, but thanks for the info.
I'll probably make a trip down the gaming store tomorrow, to see what they have.

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 10:39 AM
Eadin, you probably missed my previous post, but there are basic rules for Call of cthulhu (chaosium edition).

Here in pdf

http://www.chaosium.com/forms/coc_quick_start_color.pdf

Have fun :smallbiggrin:.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 10:43 AM
Eadin, you probably missed my previous post, but there are basic rules for Call of cthulhu (chaosium edition).

Here in pdf

http://www.chaosium.com/forms/coc_quick_start_color.pdf

Have fun :smallbiggrin:.

Woopsie! thank you :smallbiggrin:
I missed the link at the end of your post :smallredface:

MrEdwardNigma
2010-06-24, 11:40 AM
Well, there is actually a free form forum somewhere...

Let me check... Ha! Here it is! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)

Good luck!
Actually, the better ones tend to be in the Finding Players section, though they are somewhat rare. The freeform subforum tends to be concerned with games without a GM. Fun sometimes I guess, but due to the comparison with D&D I'm guessing it's not what Eadin is looking for.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 12:00 PM
Actually, the better ones tend to be in the Finding Players section, though they are somewhat rare. The freeform subforum tends to be concerned with games without a GM. Fun sometimes I guess, but due to the comparison with D&D I'm guessing it's not what Eadin is looking for.

Haha, the freeform subforum is quite confusing, I cant' really figure out which threads need players and which ones don't and stuff

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 12:07 PM
Haha, the freeform subforum is quite confusing, I cant' really figure out which threads need players and which ones don't and stuff

I'm not familiar with that subforum so I dont know if it's useful, but have you tried reading the rules for the subforum? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119585

Eadin
2010-06-24, 12:12 PM
I'm not familiar with that subforum so I dont know if it's useful, but have you tried reading the rules for the subforum? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119585

I did, and I know that the ones looking for players usually have 'recruiting' or something like that in their topic title , but most of the time they are already full and have started their game.
Someone offered to run a newbie-friendly game though , so I'll just wait for a reply :)

SensFan
2010-06-24, 12:14 PM
I did, and I know that the ones looking for players usually have 'recruiting' or something like that in their topic title , but most of the time they are already full and have started their game.
Someone offered to run a newbie-friendly game though , so I'll just wait for a reply :)
There seems to be some interest, so I'll put up a thread in the Recruitment forum. I'll link it here when it's up. Give me a few minutes.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 12:14 PM
There seems to be some interest, so I'll put up a thread in the Recruitment forum. I'll link it here when it's up. Give me a few minutes.

Kay:smallsmile:

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... I think it works in two different ways. The subforum under "Play by post" usually has threads that need only few players (6-8 max), so the threads have "recruiting" in them until all spots are filled. But I don't think that's the case with the "Freeform" subfrum under Silly messages. Those threads, I think, are always accepting new players (you post your character in a register, introduce yurself in the OOC and are ready to go). Some veteran of the freeform subforum feel free to correct me, of course :smallsmile:.

EDIT: ninja'd so much. Glad you found a game. Have fun :smallbiggrin:.

Eadin
2010-06-24, 12:26 PM
Hmmm... I think it works in two different ways. The subforum under "Play by post" usually has threads that need only few players (6-8 max), so the threads have "recruiting" in them until all spots are filled. But I don't think that's the case with the "Freeform" subfrum under Silly messages. Those threads, I think, are always accepting new players (you post your character in a register, introduce yurself in the OOC and are ready to go). Some veteran of the freeform subforum feel free to correct me, of course :smallsmile:.

EDIT: ninja'd so much. Glad you found a game. Have fun :smallbiggrin:.

Thanks , I will:smallsmile:

SensFan
2010-06-24, 12:30 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157534