PDA

View Full Version : "Speak softly and carry a big stick" (3.5 Prestige Class)

Merk
2010-06-23, 10:51 AM
Grandstaff

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4020/stafffighterbybahamutze.jpg
Credit: BahamutZero1059 on deviantart.

A grandstaff is simply someone who fights skillfully with a staff. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most grandstaffs are monks, fighters, rangers, rogues, swashbucklers, or swordsages. Many other types of warriors invest in more classically destructive weapons, and thus see the pursuit of staff fighting as a waste of time.

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements

To qualify to become a grandstaff, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus

+3

Feats

Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (any staff*)

* The following definition will be used throughout for a "staff": a long, bludgeoning two-handed family of weapons that includes the quarterstaff, longstaff, three-section staff, and any other weapons the DM decides may fall under this category.

Class Skills

The grandstaff's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier.

Grandstaff
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Staff expertise, stick schtick

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Staff block, stick schtick

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Stick schtick

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Stick schtick, shillelagh

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Snaking staff[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

The grandstaff is proficient with all staffs, but gains no other proficiencies.

Monks with grandstaff levels consider all staffs as special monk weapons and can use them with flurry of blows.

Staff Expertise (Ex)

The Grandstaff gains several benefits while wielding a staff. He may use the Weapon Finesse feat with any staff weapon, though this ability does not grant the feat. He gains his dexterity modifier (if positive) as a bonus to damage rolls with staff weapons, and this is precision damage, and so is denied whenever an enemy would be immune to sneak attack or critical hits. Any weapon-specific feats (such as Weapon Focus) that the grandstaff has with a specific staff now applies to any and all staffs. Finally, he receives a bonus equal to his class level against attempts made against him to disarm or sunder his staff.

A monk that takes levels in grandstaff may apply his unarmed strike damage in lieu of the staff's normal damage, and monk and grandstaff levels stack to determine unarmed strike damage.

Stick Schtick (Ex)

At 1st level, 2nd level, 3rd level, and 4th level, the Grandstaff gains access to a stick schtick, which is an extraordinary special ability usable only with staff weapons. You may select each stick schtick once only.

Flurry of blows: When making any attack with a staff, the Grandstaff may choose to gain an extra attack with his staff at his full base attack bonus, but all attacks that round (including attacks of opportunity) are made at a -2 penalty.

Monks with grandstaff levels can stack the extra attack granted by this ability with the monk flurry of blows ability, but the penalty from each ability stacks.

Bigger Stick: You treat any staff weapon as one size larger for the purpose of dealing damage while you wield it. Notably, this does stack with the Shillelagh spell-like ability gained at 4th level.

Vaulting Staff: The grandstaff gains a bonus to Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks equal to her class level when wielding a staff.

Leg Sweep: Any staff you wield is considered a trip weapon while you wield it (meaning that you have a +2 bonus to trip checks and may drop your weapon to avoid being tripped). In addition, you may choose to replace your strength modifier with your dexterity modifier on all trip checks.

Thrusting Staff: As a standard action, the Grandstaff may choose to strike a single target with the end of her staff. The weapon is considered to have 10 feet of extra reach during this attack, and is also a bull rush attempt, and the Grandstaff may add her class level and dexterity modifier to the bull rush check. Finally, you overcome an amount of damage reduction equal to twice your class level. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Stunning Thrust: You gain the Stunning Fist feat (even if you don't meet the prerequisites), and may use it a number of times per day equal to twice your class level, but may only use it with staff weapons.

Special Note: If you have levels in monk, your monk and grandstaff levels stack to determine daily uses of stunning fist (usable with both unarmed strikes and staff attacks). Additionally, the DC of your stunning fist / stunning thrust ability rises by +2.

Staff Block (Ex)

When fighting defensively or taking a full-defense action with a staff, you gain a shield bonus to AC equal to your class level (on top of the normal AC bonuses granted by those actions).

Shillelagh (Sp)

At 4th level, a grandstaff can use Shillelagh as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 1 + wisdom modifier (at least 1), with a caster level equal to her character level.

Snaking Staff (Ex)

The maximum reach of the Grandstaff's staff increases by 5 ft. (A staff built for a medium-sized creature threatens an area of 10 ft. radius, as a spiked chain).

Multiclass Note: Characters who take levels of grandstaff after taking levels in monk may continue advancing as monks with no penalty. Grandstaff levels stack with monk levels when determining your Ki strike, unarmed strike damage, AC bonus, and speed bonus. A monk's flurry of blows and a grandstaff's flurry of blows stack (and the penalty stacks as well) and a monk/grandstaff can freely mix unarmed strikes and staff weapons during a flurry.

paddyfool
2010-06-23, 11:17 AM
Good staff.

I'd be tempted to give it a little more... maybe either remove "flurry of blows" or put it among the staff schticks, and give an extra schtick at that level, plus a fixed ability at 3 and 4 and more schtick options.

Schtick options:

Twirling staff
You may apply your class bonus to disarm offensively while using a staff.

Controlled staff
You may deal non-lethal damage with a staff without penalty to hit, and as if the staff were one size larger.

Any staff
You take no penalty to hit with an improvised weapon that even vaguely resembles a staff.

Additional named abilities
3: Staff knowledge
You gain your grandstaff level to your AC versus any attacker who themselves wield a staff.

4: Shillelagh
1/day, you may cast Shillelagh as a druid of your grandstaff level as a swift action.

Mongoose87
2010-06-23, 12:22 PM
You know, I'd been thinking there wasn't enough support for staff-fighters, lately. Very nice.

Merk
2010-06-23, 12:41 PM
@paddyfool: I really like the idea of shillelagh as an SLA, so I added that in at 4th level with minor changes.

@Mongoose87: Thanks!

Changes:
- Added knowledge (history), hide, and move silently as class skills
- Staff expertise allows weapon focus tree and similar feats to apply to all staff weapons
- Shillelagh SLA added.
- Grandstaff levels and monk levels stack for a few class features, such as stunning fist and ac bonus.

Milskidasith
2010-06-23, 01:21 PM
It seems strange to give this class the base flurry ability when it is apparently intended to be entered by monks.

It's also not super powerful; all the class features are OK, but relatively minor, though making it essentially a slightly more powerful spiked chain is perfectly reasonable and seems to be the intent.

Merk
2010-06-23, 02:17 PM
Monk entry was more of an afterthought to be honest, so flurry is there so that you have it regardless of entry. I may end up making it a stick schtick and then granting another schtick at level 1. Default monk doesn't even really help you enter IIRC.

But yeah, this guy isn't meant to be crazy strong, just strong enough to make wielding a staff a viable option.

Edit: FoB is now a stick schtick, and I've reworded it to be that you get a follow-up attack on any attack, not just full-round attacks (in line with, say, Snap Kick).

paddyfool
2010-06-23, 03:59 PM
Glad you liked the Shillelagh idea - I reckon this class has shaped up pretty well.

BTW, have you seen "Once upon a time in China 2"? Best movie scenes I know of with staff combat...

Ilmryn
2010-06-23, 05:10 PM
Multiclass Note: Characters who take levels of grandstaff after taking levels in monk may continue advancing as monks with no penalty. Grandstaff levels stack with monk levels when determining your Ki strike, unarmed strike damage, AC bonus, and speed bonus. A monk's flurry of blows and a grandstaff's flurry of blows do not stack, but a multiclassed monk / grandstaff can freely mix unarmed strikes and staff attacks in a flurry of blows.

You are aware that granting monk abilities makes this more powerful for monks than for other classes. Also, granting unarmed strike progression simply doesn't seem fitting for a staff expert.

Mongoose87
2010-06-23, 05:12 PM
You are aware that granting monk abilities makes this more powerful for monks than for other classes. Also, granting unarmed strike progression simply doesn't seem fitting for a staff expert.

I agree, on the unarmed progression, but Monks are nowhere near good enough to worry about making this OP for them.

Siosilvar
2010-06-23, 10:06 PM

OH NOES!!1!!! Monks iz overpowereded!

On a more serious note, I'd suggest letting a monk stack flurries of blows (at a -4 penalty) and use unarmed damage in place of staff damage.

...the class abilities seem kinda wimpy to me, but then again, that's probably just my mind going "list of stuff, skip over".

Merk
2010-06-23, 10:47 PM
OH NOES!!1!!! Monks iz overpowereded!

On a more serious note, I'd suggest letting a monk stack flurries of blows (at a -4 penalty) and use unarmed damage in place of staff damage.

...the class abilities seem kinda wimpy to me, but then again, that's probably just my mind going "list of stuff, skip over".

I definitely like allowing monk-grandstaffs using unarmed damage with staffs, so I added that into the description for staff expertise.

It is intended to be a bit "wimpy". I wanted its power level to be in line with prestige classes like Exotic Weapon Master.

Zaakar
2010-06-23, 11:48 PM
Bigger Stick:

Shillelagh (Sp)

Do these stack? Also, really nice work :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-06-24, 03:59 AM
You'll probably want to clarify, do all staffs count as special monk weapons?
Also, why not be able to take two flurries, to get a second attack/lowered penalty?

Merk
2010-06-24, 06:37 AM
@Zaakar: I added in a line to note that those abilities do stack. Thanks!

@Lix Lorn: Good call. I noted "all staffs are monk weapons" and added in a line allowing the flurries to stack with a stacking penalty.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-24, 10:10 AM
Thanks
In which case you'll need to change the Multiclass notes at the end.

Merk
2010-06-24, 10:44 AM
Thanks
In which case you'll need to change the Multiclass notes at the end.

Noted and changed. Thanks for catching that.