PDA

View Full Version : [Dark Heresy] Otheron

Mr.Moron
2010-06-23, 11:32 AM
Two days after getting the message about being brought into the Inquisition you have woken up in a room you don't know. Nothing else strange has happened in the intervening time. The last thing you remember was going to sleep normally in your bunk, hammock, cardboard box or wherever else your normally pack in for the night. You feel very groggy and perhaps have a bit of headache. All your senses feel a bit a dulled, and you're just slightly nauseated.Overall you're not quite feeling miserable but you've had better mornings in your life.

The room seems as though it might be about 6 meters by 6 meters. It's hard to tell exactly. The walls and ceiling both seem as though they're made of unpainted metal. Nothing spectacular or exotic seeming, though they are very clean and free from any sign of wear and tear. The room is well illuminated by four lights that run the lengthy from the ceiling to the floor, one in each of corner of the room. There is a large screen on the wall in front of you, taking up about half of it.

To your left, about 2 meters up off the ground there is a small outcropping on the wall. There is a man using it as a seat. He appears to be in his early or mid thirties, assuming he isn't from very depths of the city. He has short black hair and a 2-day beard. Further facial features aren't easy to pick out in your current state. His clothing is unremarkable, simple pants and a short-sleeved shirt, both black. He is dark red flak vest and has a shotgun lying on his lap.

You can easily see a shotgun resting on his lap but from the angle you're at currently at you can't be entirely sure that's all the equipment he has up there.

The screen in front you buzzes into activity, with the following message:

"You are now servant of the Inquisition. Be proud that you are one of those given the opportunity to serve in this fashion. For the time being you will prove your abilities by working under the man you see to your left. Follow his orders as law.
-(This section of the message is garbled)

The same voice as you had heard before reads along, though louder than before.

Test toughness at +40:(Failure indicates that whatever means used to brought you here has left something tiring lingering in your system. You gain 1 level of fatigue. Success indicates that you still a feel a bit off, but otherwise suffer no ill effects.)

When the message completes the man on the ledge speaks, sounding a combination of bored and mildly annoyed.
"So. Now that the theatrics are over, are there any questions before we get down to business?"

loopy
2010-06-23, 11:51 AM
Toughness: [roll0] Target 75 - Failure

Alek

It was the bright lights that woke him, stabbing into his brain like blades. Alek opened his eyes. It didn't help.

The soldier rolled over, retching. Head pounding like he'd been kicked by a destrier, he reached for his lasgun and bastard sword instinctually, many years of waking up in combat zones having imprinted the action on him permanently.

Finding both present, he relaxed, and attempts to stand. Oh God-Emperor, no, thats not happening yet, he thought to himself as the world span around his supine body.

Forcing himself into an unsteady crouch, he looks at the man. "No, give me the target, and we'll see it through." Even to his own ears, his lilting aristocratic accent sounded week and sickly. "Though I could use a pot of tea, first."

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-23, 03:32 PM
[roll0] darn it I think I messed that up, my target would be 70 and I rolled a 60 sorry about that.:smalleek:
Tobias slowly opened his eye's as he awoke before quickly closing them again These light's seem excessively bright he thought to himself before trying to open them again getting them used to the light. The old cleric carefully sat up holding his head, if felt as if the whole world was spinning around him, the last time he had felt like this he was a few decades younger and still in the gang.

As the screen came to life Tobias jumped slightly, he listened to the message being played for him intently, a wide smile slowly growing across his face. As the message finished and the man on the ledge addressed the cleric looked at him still smiling. "Just tell me how to best serve the interests of our Divine Lord the God Emperor and the Inquisition and it will be done."

Dekana
2010-06-23, 09:21 PM
Toughness: [roll0], Target 66. Failure.

Dekana

A young woman jumps to her feet as the recording wakes her, but she only stands for a few seconds before collapsing to her knees. Her eyes slowly come into focus. She reaches for an injector taped to her left shoulder, but with her fingers so numb, she can't even manage to get a grip.

By the time the recording has finished, the woman is much more in control of herself, and she is aware of her surroundings. Still, all of her senses remain dulled from the drug. She can only answer the mysterious man with a heavy slur in her voice.

"Yuuf really taken yur time! Two dayth of waitin; a buncha spy games, dis is. But itz fine. I will surve the inquizion 'course. Dekana at yur service."

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-24, 05:33 AM
[roll0] vs 67 - Failure.

Uriah

A pale-faced burly man sits up immediately, and the rapid motion causes his eyes to blur. "'Oy me 'ed." He grips his head and desperately tries to make the world stop spinning for a second. Even as sick as he felt his left hand groped for a laspistol. Rapidly coming up empty-handed, he looks around then starts actually paying attention to the recording.

"Ye coulda just called instead of abduckten me. But no, gotsta have the mistyery. 'Oy lads, stand and deliver." That said, the man stands up with noticeable effort. He goes about dusting himself off and seemingly ignoring the man speaking to them. He'd been the Inquisition's man for awhile now, and certainly wouldn't stop just because he's been abducted once more.

Once he finishes dusting himself off he looks straight at the presumed inquisitor. "I gotcha a question: Where's me gun?"

Cheesegear
2010-06-25, 04:21 AM
[roll0], target 82...Just Pass.

Revven Creed wakes up. He's had better mornings in his life, sure. Even after taking a swill of Firebird Brandy, he woke up better than he was right now. That's what stellar travel gets you; Sick. Sick. And then some more sick. Still, Revven had been removed from his homeworld before his puberty, and had been traveling the void for a reasonable amount of time. Not counting the zero-G combat-training he'd had at the schola.

Still, better days...Better days. Revven looked at his companions, they, for the most part, didn't look too well. But, they hadn't been bitten by the Rucling Water Snake when they were six years old and given the water snake's durability if they overcame the sickness. Silly soft-worlders. Go to a real planet, where even the mites can kill you, and you'll find space travel or being knocked out or drugged a minor incident.

Revven stared at the man on the wall. Was he an Inqusitor? Was he supposed to salute? Or give some kind of indication? Revven fell back onto his primitive instincts; If unsure, do nothing. Wait until you are sure.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-25, 09:32 PM
The man looks over the group as they come to their senses. Looking at Uriah he says, trying not to chuckle "Right behind you, friend" pointing at the gun on the floor behind Uriah's back.

He jumps down off the ledge, with a slight thud. "Anyway, the name is Gan". He offers a hand to help help Alek up, and then the others in turn, not forcing the issue for any who might refuse.

"If you couldn't tell, you'll be reporting to me for the time being. I'm not anyone fancy, just a grunt like yourselves a more experienced grunt but a grunt. Once you've proven good enough assisting me, you'll probably be given your own stuff to deal with."
He says with modest confidence.

After everyone is standing he proceeds to a corner of the room and, knocks on the wall. An automatic door slides open in front of him, and he gestures towards it.

"You'll be working as team now. Acolytes serving our good inqusitioner. I assume that you..." he pauses. Taking a small data-slate from a pocket and glancing at it. "Revvan, are familiar with the term. I'm not sure about the rest of you though. You'll figure out the details as you go along, I'm sure.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-25, 09:53 PM
Uriah

The man turns and scrambles for his lasgun. He snaps it up, hugs it close and whispers to it. "Oh baby, did the bad man hurt ye?" It takes him less than a minute to shoulder the lasgun, nick his laspistol, stuff it into his pants and snap up his shotgun. With his lasgun over one shoulder, his shotgun over the other and his laspistol tucked into his belt; Uriah looks ready to go to war, despite being dressed in street clothes suited for a tourist. "So then, we be aimin' fer da greenskins? Shootin' xenos in His gluryous name, ya?" Uriah holds his arms up as if he were firing a gun at some make-believe orks to demonstrate what he meant.

Cheesegear
2010-06-25, 11:33 PM
Revvan double-checked his Shotgun. Going through basic sight-maintenance, it seemed okay. It didn't appear that anyone had tampered with his equipment whilst he was...Unavailable.

Revvan moved towards the door, but stopped when he moved up beside this new stranger, 'Gan'.

"Gan, is it?" Revvan asked. "Just Gan, or do you have some sort of rank associated with your...Influence?"

Mr.Moron
2010-06-26, 12:17 AM
Addressing Revvan, he says "Well" Gan says, just a touch less confident. "You can add a title if you like. However I ain't got rank and certainly got no influence. At least not of the sort I'm thinkin' your talkin' about. he scratches his forehead a bit as he continues. Seems our master likes to make sure the new recruits really have the stuff they're thought to have. You're only here because the big boss figured you'd be useful. Still how does the phrase go? he asks, and shrugs with one arm, then answering himself "Can't hurt to double-check. ". He touches the screen of the data-slate and turns it around, offering it to Revvan. Basically you guys do some tasks related to the ones I've been assigned and don't get yourself killed doing it. Manage that and you should wind up getting your own assignments soon enough. "

A look at the screen confirms what the man is saying. It displays a section of his own orders, commanding him to situate your team and the city and task you with tasks relevant to his own orders.

As he hands over the slate, he turns to Uriah."Fighting Greenskins?" I swear every guardsman that gets picked up has weirder and weirder stories to tell. I've seen some weird stuff in this line of work but I can't say an 'Ork' has been one of them.I stopped trying to figure out what the big picture behind all this work is a while ago. Maybe it does have something to do with your 'Orks' or whatever. I wouldn't know, I'm not told that much and I know better than to ask."

loopy
2010-06-26, 01:46 AM
Alek

The knight accepts the strangers arm, and pulls himself up. "Where are the Caledonians? I've normally been assigned to missions with at least one other."

He shakes his head, trying to clear away the nausea. "Though most of the time I woke up in a dropship, rather than in a briefing..."

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-26, 02:26 PM
Tobias

The cleric slung his crossbow over his shoulder and gripped his hammer with one hand. He gathered up the rest of his supplies and moved toward the door following the man addressed as Revven. He stopped and turned to Gan still smiling. "What will be our first duties serving the Inquisition?"

Dekana
2010-06-26, 03:53 PM
Dekana, now aware of how ridiculous her numb tongue is making her sound, remains quiet. She nods in agreement with with the cleric's question. Better to let him do the talking anyway. For everyone in this room, their lifes must be forfeit. Dekana would rather not be the center of attention when the wrong kind would get her killed without a moment's pause.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-27, 12:44 AM
As Gan gets alek to his feet he answers "Don't know. I guess you're the only one to be picked out for this little team. They're probably back doin' whatever it is they usually are."

He turns to Tobias "That's a good question. Put simply there's somebody who needs to be found, and preferably captured alive"

He takes a step through the door, into what is obviously an elevator. It's unremarkable save for it's good condition and small size, but otherwise matches the standard construction seen everywhere.

There is a small metal box on the floor, closed but not locked. He gives it a gentle kick. "The details are in there, along with some supplies I was able to scrounge up.It's not a complicated job but that doesn't mean it'll be easy. Before you start though, I'll be showin' you to your new home for the time being. grinning at the two guardsmen a little "As you gents might call it "Base of operations".

He waits for the rest of the group to enter.

Dekana
2010-06-27, 04:40 PM
Dekana

Dekana walks to the elevator and enters. She reaches down to pick up the box, hesitating a moment only to see if "Gan" will disapprove. If he doesn't, she goes ahead and opens it without waiting for the others.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-27, 05:39 PM
He nods as Dekana goes to open the container. It only takes a few moments to rummage through the various items.

-1 Krak Grenade
-A box Containing 6 Inferno Shells.
-A box Containing 18 Man-Stopper Bullets
-A Hotshot Lasgun charge park. It is heavily corroded, and seems to have had cracks patched with tape.
-A Beat up a pair of magnoculars.

Additionally, there is a simple data-slate of the type that generally just displays text. The file seems to contain some more details on the target of your mission.

-The individual seems to be a (relatively) small time gang leader. Thought to be behind a group of about 5-6 minor gangs. Estimated about 2.500-4,000 people in the organizations combined.

-The exact location of the individual is unknown but it's almost certainly in the one of 8 secondary divisions, in division 5, of sub-section 12, of Segment 7, of Partition 2, of the 3rd level. As that is the some area the gangs operate in.

-Not much information is known (or at least provided) about the person, other than that they are sometimes referred to as "Little Rat" in some circles.

-None of their criminal activities stand out as particularly relevant.

Success on a Common Lore (Imperium) test for anyone who reads this, at +50 knows that:

Nothing in this file really hints at reason the Inquisition of all things would be after this "Little Rat".

2 or more degrees of success means you know that:

They're big enough problem to be a real headache for the even the primary division, but nothing that would really even warrant the attention of the sub-section chief.

In fact most of the information seems to have been taken from small local law enforcement agents.

and a bit of trivia...

Each of the levels of the city is divided up into smaller units, for the purposes of worker management as well as local law and enforcement. To a certain degree they even wind up representing different cultural backgrounds.

The smaller units are..

3 Partitions on each layer
6 Segments in each partition
12 Sub-Sections in each Segment.
24 Divisions in each segment.
48 Secondary Divisions in each division.

A secondary division, at least on the first or second layer likely has a of population of 25,000-40,000 people. Very Roughly speaking.

Cheesegear
2010-06-28, 02:35 AM
Common Lore, being an Advanced Skill that I don't have, I can't roll for

Revvan gives the data-slate a good once-over.

"Seems simple enough. But I don't understand. The 'slate doesn't say; Is this a search and destroy assignment? Or a find and retrieve? Or do we just have to find him and send the local authorities in? What are we supposed to actually do?"

Why are we even bothering with this? ...'None of their criminal activities stand out as particularly relevant'." stated Revvan, quoting the data-slate. "This looks like Arbitrator work...And not even someone that they're particularly interested in. Or, they'd already be out for him, no?"

Mr.Moron
2010-06-28, 03:17 AM
"'Find and Retrieve' if possible, 'Search and Destroy' if necessary. As for why the bother, I ain't got the faintest idea." He shakes his head. Guy's not much more than a petty thug near as I can tell. Your guess is as good as mine to why he's worth botherin' with. Must be somethin'. He shakes his head again. "Ya know how the old sayin' goes though. Don't ask why ya serve, just how."

loopy
2010-06-28, 04:40 AM
Alek

"Two and a half thousand criminals and you consider this a small-time operation?" The knight mutters under his breath. "Normally I'd suggest storming the operation. Not a common practice in those circles, since they are all so worried about controlling the territory gained after they finish off the old boss. We don't have to worry about that, so we can do something more direct."

He hefts his lasgun. "Plus we have one advantage that the rest do not. We do not fear the enemy, for the God-Emperor is on our side. Shall we move along?" Alek looks askance at the others, ready to move.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 12:12 AM
Tobias smiles at the Knight, "Well spoken, and yes I suppose we should be making our way, we're here to serve not to doddle." The cleric hefted his hammer with both hands and waited for the rest to make there way out.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-29, 06:28 AM
Uriah

The guardsman looks to Alek. "Two-nna-'af kay across who knows how much ground. dey'll all be spread den, but even if dey weren't I've been outmanned by more and lived."

Uriah waits until the dataslate is passed over to him, reads it then passes it on to the next person in disgust. "So ye be lookin' for someone, but ye don't know what dey look like, what dey sound like, 'ere dey live or any'then 'cept dey're sometimes called 'Little Rat'?" Uriah sighs. "By the Emperor, we might end up shootin' everyone on this rock at least once." Complain as he might, Uriah is still a Guardsman and falls in as soon as the crowd starts moving.

Dekana
2010-06-29, 04:51 PM
[roll0], target 90. (including -10 for fatigue) Fails, amazingly.

Dekana, still fumbling her words a bit, responds to the Revvan. "I am an Arbitrator - guess our new masters wanted at least one. And yer' right, this 'Little Rat' is a nothing to me. ... Hmm, maybe the Inquisitors have differn' standards." The very obvious possibility that the entire mission is a test of ability does not occur to Dekana, at least not in her post-drugged state.

Then, to the guardsman:

"Let'sch hope we don' have ta shoot anyone! It would be stupid to start a bwawl wit' a huge gang. How about we save the guns until we need 'em? We'll start wit' information gathering."

Dekana looks away shyly, annoyed that her voice is coming out like an amasec junkie after an all-night binge.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 07:23 PM
"Well whatever they want this "Little Rat" for it matters not, it's not part of the job to know why they want things done, we just have to make sure that what they do want gets done. We should probably get started soon but I've noticed...Dekana is it? Still seems to be coming down off of whatever they used on us, perhaps we should wait for it to where off? We'll want to make sure we're all at our best for whatever we'll run into out there." Tobias looked at the rest of the groups to see what they had to say.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-30, 09:38 AM
The elevator door closes and the life begins to move with a hum. Gan laughs a bit at Uriahs comment. "That'd take quite some doin' and more charge packs than I'd guess ya got.

It takes about 10 minutes for the elevator to reach a stop. The area it opens out to is unremarkable, just outside an out of use service bay of some sort

A short walk around the building brings the group to a parked Autocart. A very common vehicle in most areas. They're inexpensive, sluggish, loud 3-wheeled affairs with a single seat for the operator and a wide flat bed for cargo or passengers.

He gives the group some time to load up themselves and their possessions and then starts it up. It's a bumpy ride, but not overly long probably only about a half hour.

You come to a stop outside what appears to at one point have been a shop. The broken down sign that can only partially be read "Zaddion's *****o a****** par***" and sealed-up front door make it obvious it hasn't been in business for a long time.

There are plenty of obvious signs that the building has been in use though. The side door is new and shows no sign of having dust. There is fresh garbage in a crate outside, the sort that usually gets carried off by rats or the like quickly enough.

A motorcycle is parked in the alley, and while it's nothing fancy at first glance it's in working order.

Awareness at +30

There is also a considerable amount of blood spatter on the wall of the adjacent building. The sort created when someone meets their end in rather forceful fashion.

"This place should work fine as station to work from. He produces a key from his pants pocket."That last residents had to vacate in hurry, so feel free to help yourselves to anythin' you still find lyin' around that might be useful. I honestly doubt anyone is gonna be back to claim it. Oh and I almost forgot he digs around in his other pocket for second."This is the fundin' for your operation. he produces a 500-throne coin. He holds out both objects in his right hand, offering them to whoever in the group steps up to take them.

(It may occur to you that, a single 500 piece is a slightly inconvenient sort of funding, depending on what you try to purchase with it first. Getting change actually requires buying from someone who has it on hand)

As they, do he adds "Anyway I think I forgot to write it down but you got about 2 weeks to get this business done. I got my own things to deal with but I'll try to check in every couple days. Any last questions before I get goin'?

[I realize that was sort of big block of events to go through in one post. If your character would have something to interject during the whole transportation thing feel free to post it, and we'll address it retroactively.]

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-30, 07:54 PM
Perception Test [roll0] Target 67

Tobias steps forward and takes the key and throne weighing it in his hand, after listening to Gan he let's out a low whistle. "Two weeks will make it a tricky endeavor but if it was easy I suppose they wouldn't need us. Thank you for the supplies Gan it's most appreciated...." Tobias takes a look at the wall adjacent of the building and raised an eybrow. "What happened over there?"

Dekana
2010-07-01, 06:37 PM
Dekana smiles and nods at Tobias after he voices his concern. She spends the ride to the new headquarters looking rather puzzled; like she is missing something very important about this datapad, and it won't stop bothering her.

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-02, 02:29 AM
Uriah

A Guardsman knows to grab winks when you can, and spends the entire ride asleep. When he arrives at base camp, the stocky man digs around for his flak armor. "Iffen ya ladies and laddies dun mind, I've got a change'o uniform ta look inta."

He searches around for a corner he can use, mostly for his companion's sake rather than his own, then changes into his flak armor. After he finishes, the guardsman steps back into base camp, finds himself a corner and plops down with a sigh. "So. We got a ganger ta find an' only two weeks ta do et. Now, I ain't much use 'cept fer lookin' mean and pointin' guns."

Mr.Moron
2010-07-02, 03:50 PM
"Well, if you know anythin' about Ganger's those can be mighty handy skills to have. Anyway, best of luck to ya. " Gan climbs back into his vehicle, and starts it up."As for over there." he points, indicating the spot Tobias pointed out. "Local bunch of idiots, started goadin' one of the gangs or the local law, somethin' like that. Anyway, after the place got cleaned out called in a couple favors to get the place, figured it might come in handy. Like I said, don't gotta worry about the previous owners comin' back. I'll check in soon. "

With that Gan pulls out and heads around the corner.

loopy
2010-07-02, 08:43 PM
Alek

Alek looks somewhat edgy during the drive. After all these years, he's still not all that comfortable with high technology.

As Uriah notes his potential usefulness in the mission ahead, the knight nods. "Yes, I must admit my own strengths lie not in the areas of inquiry as much as delivering the wrath of the Emperor upon those who deserve his fury."

ZeroNumerous
2010-07-05, 06:34 PM
Uriah

A quick glance toward Alek is all the knight gets from the guardsman. Uriah sets about digging around for a newspaper. "Way I fig'ur it, we look 'bout for crimes 'n such 'n find out who did 'em, ya?"

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-05, 08:58 PM
"I suppose that would be our best course of action, unless any others have a different idea? The cleric found a spot for his belonging and took a seat looking at the others and the inside of the building.

Mr.Moron
2010-07-06, 12:20 AM
The side door to the building opens easily enough. On the inside is what appears to be a fairly comfortable living space. The first room seems as though it's been in used as a kitchen. There is a sink, and a food cooler and some cabinets. There are still some visible bullet damage in various places but all and all it seems like the worst of it has been cleaned up. It smells pretty fierce,due to the stink wafting out of a waste receptacle in the corner.

Look down the hall reveals a few areas that look to have been used as lodging of some sort. Various hammocks and bunks, that could probably house a little over 20 people. There is a single bathroom, a test of the of the plumbing shows that running water is working (if a bit murky and having a very faint smell of promethium about it).

There is a table in the center of the kitchen, and a half dozen chairs.. one of which has been smashed. It would so happen that there is a a part of the local news publication on the table, albeit one bearing an large recaf stain.

The articles seem to be mostly those extolling the virtues of the local government head, a one "Division Director Marshen". His various projects and how serving him, helps to serve the governor and in turn the emperor. All very standard fare. However for those looking for criminal activity, one article does stand out.

"It's your privilege to pay the the tithes! Strike back against those that would rob you of this glorious duty" reads the headline.

The article goes on to condemn a rise in the distribution of bootleg drugs, that have been going around the normal tax laws. It gives an example of helpful citizens that were able to dip off law enforcement to business they were using as a front. It encourages anyone who might know those participating in such activities to report them, especially friends and family.

Nothing else seems to stand out from that particular publication. However the overall impression is that there is a problem with local business being backed by boot legging.

(It's about midday, and the full 2 weeks to track down your target remain.)

loopy
2010-07-11, 12:05 AM
OOC: Anyone else notice this post? Cos I sure as hell didn't. :smalleek:

Alek

The knight turns to look at Uriah, and offers what he hopes to be a friendly grin. "You, guardsman. Whats say we get ourselves recruited as thugs or some such? Maybe we'll get lucky and run into the bastard?" He shrugs, and looks around at the group. "Best idea I've got, anyway. Not sure what the rest of you would do."