PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepherds

KingVic
2010-06-23, 01:50 PM
I was wondering if a druid/planar shepherd can hire a high level wizard to cast Genesis for him to create a demi-plane and then attune himself to the created demi-plane. Would you guys say this is possible?

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 01:57 PM
It depends on whether your DM considers a "demiplane" to be equivalent to a "plane."

Why would you want to though? There's one plane that already gives you everything you need - the Region of Dreams from MotP (pg. 201)

- Every creature in the game
- Fast time (10:1 rounds)
- Mildly Neutral
- Normal Magic
- Subjective Gravity

hamishspence
2010-06-23, 02:25 PM
Dal Quor- the Eberron version of the Region of Dreams? has the Enhanced Magic trait as well (for spells of the illusion subschool- which become extended)

2xMachina
2010-06-24, 01:55 AM
But custom planes are even better.

Choose divinely morphic, and you are literally God in your planar bubble.

You can also go for the Enhanced Magic (all) trait, which means everything has metamagic automatically applied. There's also the plane of dreams trait where, spell slots used while in there return when you go out of it. And if you die, you merely wake up.

awa
2010-06-24, 11:36 AM
Are you shure the spell allows you to do all that when i looked it up it didnt mention being able to do any of that.

sonofzeal
2010-06-24, 11:51 AM
It also depends on what exactly can be specified by Genesis. This argument has been had many times, and I think the end result is that it's ambiguous at best whether or not planar traits are allowed. Your DM is entirely within his rights to rule that Genesis planar traits are the same as Prime Material or Astral, without letting you choose Flowing Time and all that other jazz.

Boci
2010-06-24, 11:55 AM
It also depends on what exactly can be specified by Genesis. This argument has been had many times, and I think the end result is that it's ambiguous at best whether or not planar traits are allowed. Your DM is entirely within his rights to rule that Genesis planar traits are the same as Prime Material or Astral, without letting you choose Flowing Time and all that other jazz.

Your DM and the other players are also entierly within their rights to hit you with DMG/PH for taking the Planar Shepherd seriously.

sonofzeal
2010-06-24, 12:07 PM
Your DM and the other players are also entierly within their rights to hit you with DMG/PH for taking the Planar Shepherd seriously.
Well yes. And attempting to use "Planar Sheppard" and "Genesis" in the same breath is probably grounds for lighting the character sheet on fire. I just wanted to clarify that the super-lenient reading a lot of people assume works is by no means certain.

Planar traits aren't on the specifically-allowed list, nor are they things a caster can "visualize", but it might count under "environment" (but even that is not 100% under caster control, just "mostly"). The specific prohibition against the time trait from the Psi version complicates matters though, as it implies other traits are allowed, but even that doesn't outright say it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-24, 01:04 PM
Choose divinely morphic, and you are literally God in your planar bubble.

Does Not Work That Way. "Divinely morphic" means any creature with divine ranks can change it at will; if you don't have divine ranks, you can't do anything, and any creature who does have them can use your plane against you.

2xMachina
2010-06-24, 01:11 PM
Specific unique beings (deities or similar great powers)

Yeah, it's a bit hard to qualify for: Similiar great powers... But it's kinda vague.

But it's specific, so no one else can use it against you if you don't say they can.

I like the enhanced magic the most though

If a spell is enhanced, certain metamagic feats can be applied to it without changing the spell slot required or the casting time. Spellcasters on the plane are considered to have that feat or feats for the purpose of applying them to that spell.
Free metamagic on all spells.

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 01:27 PM
Attempting to use "Planar Sheppard" is grounds for lighting the character sheet on fire.

FTFY
(spelling not as important)

sonofzeal
2010-06-24, 01:31 PM
FTFY
(spelling not as important)
Well, I've seen someone who wanted Planar Sheppard solely so they could be a Druid who turns into cuter and more colourful things like the Senmurv. The DM still said no, and rightly so, but it was a polite no rather than setting them as an example to the next ten generations of characters that some PrCs are just that bad.

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 01:51 PM
Well, I've seen someone who wanted Planar Sheppard solely so they could be a Druid who turns into cuter and more colourful things like the Senmurv. The DM still said no, and rightly so, but it was a polite no rather than setting them as an example to the next ten generations of characters that some PrCs are just that bad.

Ahh, the Senmurv - the ultimate Planar Furry Gay Pride mascot.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50102.jpg

*Beckons to Lycanthromancer*
:smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2010-06-24, 01:57 PM
In summary to the OP - IF your DM lets you play a Planar Sheppard, AND he allows the spell Genesis, AND he allows a very abusive and not at all necessary reading of Genesis's power... THEN you can probably get away with anything, so you might as well just roll PunPun and get it all over with already, because it's all downhill from here anyway.

For extra points, use the original Druid build for PunPun, and go Planar Sheppard on top of that for extra lulz.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-24, 02:00 PM
Yeah, it's a bit hard to qualify for: Similiar great powers... But it's kinda vague.

But it's specific, so no one else can use it against you if you don't say they can.

No, the "specific" is referring to needing to have the divine ranks (deities or other Power who use the system) as opposed to any mortal being able to control it, not individual beings that someone specifies; Kord can muck around with Baator just as well as Ysgard, and if you statted Bel or Dispater with divine ranks they could mess with Celestia, Baator, and the Abyss equally.

Greenish
2010-06-24, 02:08 PM
Well, I've seen someone who wanted Planar Sheppard solely so they could be a Druid who turns into cuter and more colourful things like the Senmurv.He could've just asked the DM to allow A Thousand Faces to work in wildshape. Seriously, why doesn't it work by default?