PDA

View Full Version : Guildwars question

Jimp
2010-06-23, 02:54 PM
I was thinking about returning to Guildwars but last time I haven't played it since stopping just before the first expansion. I know there have been a few expansions since but just how much has changed since I stopped? Do I really need to get the expansions to continue playing?

Dogmantra
2010-06-23, 02:57 PM
Prophecies and Eye of the North are the best, though you can't play the super-fun Ritualist or Paragon, from Factions and Nightfall respectively. To keep up with the metagame in PvP, you're going to need most of the campaigns. To actually have fun, you'll do fine with just Prophecies.

However, you might not get into Hard Mode groups without a meta build, unless they're your friends.

Shades of Gray
2010-06-23, 03:01 PM
You do not. Each expansion is a separate game, independent of the others. However if you have multiple expansions you can play in any one of them on the same account, and move characters around the land. In addition, if you have one of the expansions you can play it without have the first version of the game.

The only exception is Guild Wars: Eye of the North. It's an expansion on any of the three games, and it is only for max-level characters. A lot of the content you get in that game will transfer over to the sequel that's set for release... eventually.

Prophecies: The first game. The one you have played. Definitely the longest game. No exclusive classes.

Factions: The second, based heavily on Asia (with a Greek and Russian faction as well.) It's the shortest of the three games. Exclusive classes: Assassin (Melee person who likes critical hits and dual wields daggers) and Ritualist (Jack of All Trades caster who can summon immobile pets, enchant items, and make held items that do things when dropped.)

Nightfall: The third, based on Africa. The schtick in this game is that you have intelligent customizable party members called heroes. Exclusive classes: Paragon (ranged spear thrower who helps allies.) and Dervish (holy soldier who uses enchanments to boost self).

Eye of the North: Level 20 campaign set in a different part of the prophecies world. Here you have to get the favour of a bunch of factions.

Dogmantra
2010-06-23, 03:05 PM
Eye of the North: Level 20 campaign set in a different part of the prophecies world. Here you have to get the favour of a bunch of factions.

Note: you also get heroes from EotN. That's a good thing, considering EotN is amazing.

ninja_penguin
2010-06-23, 03:17 PM
A lot of stuff has changed, but you're still entirely viable if you're only prophecies. I still recommend getting EOTN for the heroes, and you can also get involved in the War in Kryta stuff that's been slowly building up.

Flickerdart
2010-06-23, 06:52 PM
Note: you also get heroes from EotN. That's a good thing, considering EotN is amazing.
You get heroes from Factions and Prophecies too, if you have Nightfall.

Dogmantra
2010-06-23, 07:04 PM
You get heroes from Factions and Prophecies too, if you have Nightfall.

Well yeah, but you only get one per campaign, and you already have heroes from Nightfall.

Flickerdart
2010-06-23, 07:22 PM
Well yeah, but you only get one per campaign, and you already have heroes from Nightfall.
Before they nerfed minion masters, having two Necros in a party was a great benefit.

Dogmantra
2010-06-23, 09:09 PM
Before they nerfed minion masters, having two Necros in a party was a great benefit.

They're still pretty powerful. A couple of friends and I run HM with 3 Necros (occasionally 4), one of whom is a minion master, one is devoted to healing/jagged bonesing, one Spiteful Spirit and one Discord. The minions are the tanks. It's... a very weird team composition. Well, until I get 1000 ping and can't interrupt to save my life. Then it becomes a very crap team composition as we all die to an earthquake.

Of course, it might have something to do with my friend's slight obsession with Aura of the Lich.

But I guess what I was saying is that you can't consider them a special feature of Prophecies and Factions, 'cause you still need Nightfall.

Jimp
2010-06-24, 11:34 AM
So the original campaign is still active and people still run it? I won't be wandering around a ghost world? :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2010-06-24, 12:53 PM
... depends on how you define "active".
It is more active in the American zone than the European so there's where I hop in from time to time.
But I wouldn't say its especially active though truth to tell. (although I'd want to)

ninja_penguin
2010-06-24, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't really call it 'active' in the nature of 'there is still people who are actively going from pre-searing to the end of the game' all that much. Check out the Zaishen Missions though, and you can get groups really easy, although most people want to do them Hard Mode.

And multiple necromancer hero squads are god-tier, check out the builds referred to as Sabway and Discordway. It basically abuses the fact that Hero AI can spot stuff instantly, especially for casting death nova on minions.

edit-yeah, people seem to congregate more on the american servers, even if they're not from the continent.

Dogmantra
2010-06-24, 02:13 PM
So the original campaign is still active and people still run it? I won't be wandering around a ghost world? :smalltongue:

Well Lion's Arch is still a good place to buy and sell, although Kamadan is really where it's at. That's unfortunately from Nightfall.