PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Where are the Gensai?

Zovc
2010-06-23, 04:45 PM
I've found the Gensai in Races of Faerun, but they don't seem to list their stats in that book--where should I be looking?

arguskos
2010-06-23, 04:52 PM
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting... as Races of Faerun says, actually. :smallwink:

Zovc
2010-06-23, 05:05 PM
Thanks, don't know how I missed that.

Marriclay
2010-06-23, 05:08 PM
there are other Genasi in other books, if you care to look. There a section on them in the Fiend Folio, Law and Chaos aligned ones in the MM 2. they're around if you know where to look for them

arguskos
2010-06-23, 05:18 PM
The Zenthri and Chaond are not Genasi. They are Planetouched, akin to the Aasimar and Tiefling.

However, in a fairly early 3.5 Dragon Magazine, there are the Para-Genasi, Magma, Ooze, Smoke, and Ice. I'm AFB so I lack the number on the issue, sorry.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-23, 06:12 PM
The Zenthri and Chaond are not Genasi. They are Planetouched, akin to the Aasimar and Tiefling.

Genasi are also planetouched. However, it is true zenthri and chaond are not genasi. The difference is which planes did the touching: the genasi are touched by the inner planes, while the rest are touched by the outer planes.

So, technically, there could be positive energy genasi and negative energy genasi. I don't think there are, but there could be.

arguskos
2010-06-23, 06:14 PM
Genasi are also planetouched. However, it is true zenthri and chaond are not genasi. The difference is which planes did the touching: the genasi are touched by the inner planes, while the rest are touched by the outer planes.

So, technically, there could be positive energy genasi and negative energy genasi. I don't think there are, but there could be.
Oh, believe me, I know all about the relationships between the Planetouched and the sub-category that are the Genasi. However, for ease of description, it's standard practice to use Planetouched as a category for the alignment-based half-breeds.

Oh, and there are four more Planetouched in the Fiend Folio, though I blank on their names, sorry. AFB and all that jazz. :smallsigh:

Dracons
2010-06-23, 06:17 PM
Maeluth: Planetouched Dwarf Devil

Mechantrix: Clockwork Planetouched

Shyft: Planetouched Ethereal

Wispling: Halfling Demon Planetouch.

Morph Bark
2010-06-23, 06:18 PM
Oh, believe me, I know all about the relationships between the Planetouched and the sub-category that are the Genasi. However, for ease of description, it's standard practice to use Planetouched as a category for the alignment-based half-breeds.

Oh, and there are four more Planetouched in the Fiend Folio, though I blank on their names, sorry. AFB and all that jazz. :smallsigh:

Mechanatrix, Whispling, Shyft and Maeluth, perhaps?

Fey'ri and Tanarukk are also somewhere... or were those the Races of Faerun ones?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-23, 06:23 PM
Fey'ri and Tanarukk are also somewhere... or were those the Races of Faerun ones?

Correct. Fey'ri are descendants of elfs and fiends, while tanarrukk are descendants of orcs and fiends.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-23, 06:31 PM
So, could you show us using this doll exactly where the plane touched you? :smallbiggrin:

(Sorry, really couldn't resist...)

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-23, 06:34 PM
I never understood that whole "showing on the doll" business. If a child is old enough to understand the question refers to showing the analogous part of the doll, he is old enough not to need the doll to explain. If he is not old enough to understand the question, he won't be able to make use of the doll.

Greenish
2010-06-23, 06:42 PM
Lesser Planetouched have been deemed awesome enough for their own handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6992.0).

Gaiwecoor
2010-06-23, 11:50 PM
I never understood that whole "showing on the doll" business. If a child is old enough to understand the question refers to showing the analogous part of the doll, he is old enough not to need the doll to explain. If he is not old enough to understand the question, he won't be able to make use of the doll.

It's not that the child doesn't understand the question, it's that there are some things that the child might not want to say verbally. It's easier for the child to point at the doll than talk about something that makes them uncomfortable.

Back on topic: I love the concept of the Genasi. I always enjoy adding ties to the elements into my games. On a similar theme, we have the Elemental Racial Variants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) from UA. Has anybody used these?

Zovc
2010-06-24, 12:14 AM
Lesser Planetouched have been deemed awesome enough for their own handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6992.0).

Thanks for that link, Greenish!

hamishspence
2010-06-24, 02:56 AM
Maeluth: Planetouched Dwarf Devil

Mechantrix: Clockwork Planetouched

Shyft: Planetouched Ethereal

Wispling: Halfling Demon Planetouch.

Isn't the Shyft Shadow, not Ethereal?

If "genasi" can mean "planetouched from a plane with genies" (excepting janni) then maybe there could be Ice Genasi (for the qorrash in Frostburn) or Shadow Genasi (from the shadow genie in Tome of Magic)

AslanCross
2010-06-24, 04:19 AM
I know there's a Faerun book that has Shadow-planetouched called Gloamings. They're kinda cute, with their fuzzy wings. I think they're from the Underdark book.

Eldan
2010-06-24, 04:28 AM
Isn't the Shyft Shadow, not Ethereal?

If "genasi" can mean "planetouched from a plane with genies" (excepting janni) then maybe there could be Ice Genasi (for the qorrash in Frostburn) or Shadow Genasi (from the shadow genie in Tome of Magic)

There's at least genasi for all the para- and quasi-elements.
Yes, I've seen Vacuum-genasi somewhere. Probably on Planewalker or dicefreaks.