PDA

View Full Version : Divine Metamagic-Where is it?

Ilmryn
2010-06-23, 05:15 PM
I have seen divine metamagic discussed muntiple times on the forum as something that breaks metamagic. This has of course caught my interest. Where can the mechanic be found? I am not sure how it works, is it a feat, class feature, or what is it?
Does DMM mean divine metamagic? I'm pretty sure it is, but please tell me if i'm wrong.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-23, 05:16 PM
Complete Divine, feats section. you burn Turn undead attempts to power metamagic

PId6
2010-06-23, 05:24 PM
It's decent on its own, but it gets really crazy when you allow Nightsticks from Libris Mortis. These things give 4 extra turn attempts each, for a cheap 7500 gp, so it gets ridiculous fast.

And yes, DMM = Divine Metamagic.

Ilmryn
2010-06-23, 05:29 PM
It's decent on its own, but it gets really crazy when you allow Nightsticks from Libris Mortis. These things give 4 extra turn attempts each, for a cheap 7500 gp, so it gets ridiculous fast.

And yes, DMM = Divine Metamagic.

4 extra/day, or 4 extra which are used up?
Also, is there a class other than Cleric or Paladin that gets turn undead? Is there any way for another class to gain Turn undead through a feat, alternate class feature or something?
EDIT: Can a multiclass arcane caster/cleric DMM his arcane spells?

Greenish
2010-06-23, 05:36 PM
4 extra/day, or 4 extra which are used up?4/day.
Also, is there a class other than Cleric or Paladin that gets turn undead? Is there any way for another class to gain Turn undead through a feat, alternate class feature or something?Turn/rebuke Undead

grants turn/rebuke undead - anything that grants turning generally stacks
Cleric 1
Paladin 4
Blackguard 3, ecl, command or rebuke only
Sacred Exorcist 1, ecl 8, Complete Divine, turn only
Ur-priest 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine, rebuke only
Divine Mind 4, Complete Divine, class variant (here)
Dread Necromancer 1, base class, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Death Delver 1, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Chameleon 3, ecl 8, Races of Destiny, see text
Master of Radiance 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortin, turn only - unclear whether you gain turning or if it only stacks
Tenebrous, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, unlimited use but see text
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Apostle of Peace 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
Soldier of Light 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods
Deadgrim 1, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron - unclear whethero you gain turning or if it only stackshttp://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff

EDIT: Can a multiclass arcane caster/cleric DMM his arcane spells?DMM is only for divine spells. Southern Magician helps.

balistafreak
2010-06-23, 05:53 PM
Isn't there a metamagic that lets you swap what's prepared as an arcane or divine spell for 0 level adjustment, but a -1 CL penalty?

... something along those lines, anyways.

PId6
2010-06-23, 06:03 PM
Isn't there a metamagic that lets you swap what's prepared as an arcane or divine spell for 0 level adjustment, but a -1 CL penalty?

Alternative Source Spell, from Dragon Something.

There's also the Naenhoon Illumian DMM equivalent that works on all spells but is only 2/day.

lsfreak
2010-06-23, 06:03 PM

Alternate Spell Source, from Dragon. Almost entirely worthless outside of questionably abusive uses, as are many things from Dragon :smalltongue:

EDIT: Incantatrix (Player's Guide to Faerun) gets Metamagic Effect, apply a metamagic to an ongoing spell effect 3+Int/day. Requires a Spellcraft check, but it's not particularly high. Among the cheesiest possible ways of reducing metamagic, because it hardly costs anything.

balistafreak
2010-06-23, 06:04 PM
Pffft. Dragon Magazine.

I'm not going to lie, there're occasional gems of awesomeness (TIBBITS!), but most of it is crap and for every gem there's a lethally radioactive piece of cheese. :smalltongue:

Mr.Moron
2010-06-23, 06:11 PM
Pffft. Dragon Magazine.

I'm not going to lie, there're occasional gems of awesomeness (TIBBITS!), but most of it is crap and for every gem there's a lethally radioactive piece of cheese. :smalltongue:

This differs from core-only how?

Anyway, when it comes to DMM use responsible. It's very powerful especially combined with extra turning attempts. Make sure to use it in ways that benefit the party and not just to turn yourself into one-person army.

Ilmryn
2010-06-23, 06:26 PM
Can you use DMM(or other Divine feats) based on non-unndead turning? Several classes gain the abiltiy to turn something other than undead, such as fey, outsiders, or elementals.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-23, 06:30 PM
Can you use DMM(or other Divine feats) based on non-unndead turning? Several classes gain the abiltiy to turn something other than undead, such as fey, outsiders, or elementals.

I believe the errata clarifies that it must be Turn/Rebuke Undead, but I am not certain.

lsfreak
2010-06-23, 06:32 PM

Some feats are ambiguous, some are specific. Look to the individual feat, and any errata. DMM is printed as ambiguous (any turning/rebuking will do), but errata cut it down to turn/rebuke undead specifically.