PDA

View Full Version : A good gestalt with PsyWar

gallagher
2010-06-23, 05:21 PM
so i was thinking of doing a solo Never Ending Dungeon (i am currently in a duo-dungeon) and was curious what i should gestalt with. i want to use psychic warrior as one side of the class. i was thinking maybe i should use the one side at the start for the +1 LA of half-minotaur, since that will increase my size for more melee goodness, and it has an increase to wisdom. mix it with human or dwarf and i could probably tank very well.

what do you guys think?

EDIT: Psywar//swordsage is also a good idea i think

Morph Bark
2010-06-23, 05:28 PM
If you go PsyWar//Swordsage, use the Unarmed Swordsage Variant and use the PsyWar power choices primarily for buffs and the like.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-23, 05:51 PM
Anything Wis-based is good. You could go Psywar//Ardent perhaps, or Psywar//Cleric. Psywar//Ranger is cool, especially if you go Wildshape Ranger. Monk is good in gestalt, especially with a Wis based pairing. Or, you could go Psywar//Force of Nature Druid and kill everyone ever.

Draz74
2010-06-23, 06:03 PM
Another vote for Ranger (Wildshape or otherwise). Full BAB and lots of skill points are two things the PsyWar would really like to have, and stat synergy is pretty decent too.

EDIT: Of course, by "Ranger," I potentially also mean "Swift Hunter." If you use your Powers and/or some other resources* to be able to move and still full attack easily, you can rack up a lot of good Skirmish damage.

* Level dips or feats/items to pick up Tome of Battle stuff; or just a LOT of items like Anklets of Translocation and Belt of Battle; or the Lion's Charge spell (Ranger version) and a crapton of Pearls of Power; or a Cleric dip and a Travel Devotion feat ...

mabriss lethe
2010-06-23, 06:19 PM
Chaos Mage! (http://grandwiki.wikidot.com/qcmg1) Sure, you'll eventually be consumed by your own power in ways that would make even the most jaded demon of the abyss lose his lunch.... But it's not like you're going to make it out alive anyway. You might as well plug your dangling bits into reality's orbital socket and enjoy the ride.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 06:20 PM
Swordsage or monk; boost your reflex save, skills and combat ability.

Doc Roc
2010-06-23, 07:27 PM
Tell me, how does Tashalatoran interact with gestalt?

Morph Bark
2010-06-23, 07:35 PM
Tell me, how does Tashalatoran interact with gestalt?

"Dual progression" PrCs are prohibited/forbidden under Gestalt rules. I have only heard about Tashalatoran, but I assume it is a monk/psionics dual progression PrC basically.

Draken
2010-06-23, 07:40 PM
"Dual progression" PrCs are prohibited/forbidden under Gestalt rules. I have only heard about Tashalatoran, but I assume it is a monk/psionics dual progression PrC basically.

Close. It is a feat that allows you to stack monk levels and levels in a psionic class of your choice for the purposes of advancing some of your monk abilities.

I would say it is one of the long line of feats that make monk levels stack with levels in other classes to determine the power of the iconic monk abilities, or in other words, it is WotC acepting that monks blow.

I will recommend Incarnate. Many will agree that incarnum was made for gestalt. There is no build that can't be improved by adding some incarnate (or totemist) to it.

Doc Roc
2010-06-23, 07:45 PM
Close. It is a feat that allows you to stack monk levels and levels in a psionic class of your choice for the purposes of advancing some of your monk abilities.

I would say it is one of the long line of feats that make monk levels stack with levels in other classes to determine the power of the iconic monk abilities, or in other words, it is WotC acepting that monks blow.

And as such, how does it interact with gestalt?

avr
2010-06-23, 08:08 PM
For solo asskicking crusader beats swordsage IMO. Full BAB and self-healing. Sure you won't get WIS to AC, but if AC is especially important you can wear heavy armour - that swordsage ability only works in light armour.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-23, 08:33 PM
And as such, how does it interact with gestalt?Group A will say that every Gestalt level only gives you one of those levels to 'stack.' Group B will say that levels on both side of a gestalt progression count for feats like this. Group C, which is partly composed of A and B, will say that this sort of shenanigans is vastly against the intent of gestalt, which is so easily breakable that coming up with a minor trick is more shameful than anything.

I say... it's monk class features you're advancing, so it really doesn't matter.

Keld Denar
2010-06-23, 08:49 PM
I was gonna say Totemist. Manifest Claws of the Beast (hours per level!) and then use soulmelds to give you things like rend, pounce, more natural attacks, utility, and defenses.

Alternatively, Binder. No particular reason, except that binders are FREAKIN SWEET! That is all.