PDA

View Full Version : Strong and Charismatic? Looking for a 3.5 class

PersonMan
2010-06-23, 07:14 PM
I'm looking for a class that would allow one to use both Strength and Charisma well, and will work fairly well with +2 LA. Through a combination of templates, I'm getting some melee-friendly abilities and +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con and +4 Cha. The only class I know of that could use these to good effect is a Paladin, but I'm not sure if that's the only one.

I don't know what level I'd be playing this at, as it'll be one of two character concepts "floating" until I find a game to play them in.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-23, 07:19 PM
Just off the top of my head...

Hexblade

Melee oriented Binder

A thuggish spellthief

A snowflake wardance bard

Marriclay
2010-06-23, 07:22 PM
Make a knight! They're one-trick ponies, but if you want to be a melee character who focuses on battlefield control, no other mundane character does it better

Flickerdart
2010-06-23, 07:24 PM
Shneeky's Samurai build makes good use of its CHA.

Draz74
Crusader

Knight

Myou
Melee favoured soul?

Doc Roc
2010-06-23, 07:25 PM
Well, there's always favored soul. And the Jacob's Ladder trick to make them basically nightmare fuel...

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-23, 07:37 PM
A multiclass Paladin (of Slaughter) / Hexblade would have magnificent saves and epic saves vs spells.

However, I second the Crusader. If you are not familiar with them, they are found in the Tome of Battle (The Book of Nine Swords). Think of them as the kung-fu bastard love-child of a paladin and a barbarian.

Morph Bark
2010-06-23, 07:42 PM
A multiclass Paladin (of Slaughter) / Hexblade would have magnificent saves and epic saves vs spells.

Not to mention that if you have Paladin of Slaughter 9, taking one level in Blackguard would technically net you loads of extra free stuff while still keeping your Paladin stuff...

PersonMan
2010-06-23, 07:49 PM
I don't have ToB, although my local library has it. I'll check it out later.

I don't have the book with Knight or Favored Soul. I have friends with the second one, though(C. Divine). Is the Knight from Complete Warrior?

Il_Vec
2010-06-23, 07:50 PM
I don't have the book with Knight or Favored Soul. I have friends with the second one, though(C. Divine). Is the Knight from Complete Warrior?

It is from Player Handbook 2.

Skyserpent
2010-06-23, 07:51 PM
It is from Player Handbook 2.

My absolute favorite 3.5 supplement.

I agree with Knight. I played one for a few months. He was a freakin' badass.

Marriclay
2010-06-23, 07:54 PM
My absolute favorite 3.5 supplement.

I agree with Knight. I played one for a few months. He was a freakin' badass.

personally, I liked my last Half-Ogre knight. he was a battlefield controller because of all his, you know, battlefield control abilities. And he had the most wonderful backstory...

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-23, 08:03 PM
What race/templates are you sporting? Also, are those traits mutable, or a limiting factor when giving build advice?

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-23, 08:04 PM
I don't have ToB, although my local library has it. I'll check it out later.

:smallcool:What an awesome library. The most my library has ever had in the way of DnD is some decade old copies of dungeon magazine.

sombrastewart
2010-06-23, 08:08 PM
I'm going to add my voice on the Knight. I just don't think they get enough love, honestly, and they are fun. In games I've GM'd, a player as a Knight has ended up being an all-star on the squad.

PersonMan
2010-06-23, 08:09 PM
What race/templates are you sporting? Also, are those traits mutable, or a limiting factor when giving build advice?

Modified Half-vampire and draconic. These are fairly mutable, but I'd like to keep the general flavor of a character with both undead and dragon ancestors.

Greenish
2010-06-23, 08:21 PM
+1 to binder and crusader.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-23, 08:24 PM
+1 to binder and crusader.

I'm going to dump some XP and gold to make that a +2. Binders can turn into a nice blender with the natural attack-based vestiges or go with a whole load of penalties and one save or X vestige.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-23, 08:47 PM
... +1 from draconic, and +2 from half vamp. I take it that the modification took away a few goodies to drop the LA? Do your character's base race, type of undead decent, and type of dragon decent matter?

PersonMan
2010-06-23, 09:00 PM
... +1 from draconic, and +2 from half vamp. I take it that the modification took away a few goodies to drop the LA? Do your character's base race, type of undead decent, and type of dragon decent matter?

Yep. I haven't cleared it yet, but I think that getting rid of the blood drain, charming gaze and slam attack should lower the LA to +1.

Base race...ehh, it doesn't matter all that much, as long as it doesn't have more LA.

Optimystik
2010-06-23, 09:05 PM
Melee favoured soul?

+1, just dump Str and still end up with 18 via Divine Power. Sacred Exorcist will let you persist it.

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 10:51 PM
I'm also fond of the Keeerniggit.