PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-caster SoXs

Flickerdart
2010-06-23, 07:40 PM
Do non-casters (not including the 1/2 caster types like Paladin, ToB, Incarnum or ToM) have any significant Save or Die/Lose/Suck options in 3.5? The only ones I recall off-hand are the Death Attack (every three rounds with a low DC), the Stunning Fist and its many variations (requiring a hit and also a save off a secondary stat) and Quivering Palm (terrible in more than one way). Poisons are hard to make effective, and many things are immune to them anyway. Stat damage is still a kind of damage.

So, Playground - what non-caster options can take down enemies without dealing damage? How many of them are actually any good?

Il_Vec
2010-06-23, 07:46 PM
I am AFB right now, but I do believe that the level 9 Tiger Claw maneuver was a save-or-die.

sofawall
2010-06-23, 07:46 PM
Net and Lasso come to mind.

Siosilvar
2010-06-23, 07:48 PM
I am AFB right now, but I do believe that the level 9 Tiger Claw maneuver was a save-or-die.
Warblade/Swordsage/Crusader are counted as casters per the opening post.

...some of the various Sneak Attack replacement feats may offer something.

Il_Vec
2010-06-23, 07:54 PM
Sorry about that. But isnt Death Attack also from half-casting classes?

Myou
2010-06-23, 07:58 PM
Every melee class gets a save or die. Massive damage.
Deal 50 or more damage and the target has to make a fortitude save or die.

It was the very first rule I banned from my game. :smallsigh:

lsfreak
2010-06-23, 07:59 PM
By 10th-12th level, melee are ideally forcing a SoD from massive damage every round. Of course, it's a low save DC, and I don't know anyone who uses those rules.

Quick draw with a net. Touch attacks aren't hard even with a -4 nonproficiency. Make it spell storing with something in it. Bolas would be great if they were a ranged touch, but as they're not, they're pretty much Master of Masks-only.

Feral Death Blow is, indeed, a save-or-die. Many of ToB maneuvers have save-or-something, and many don't offer a save. They range from from losing actions to ability damage to White Raven's signature no-save daze.

Knockdown is a save-or-suck of sorts. Three Mountains is a save-or-nauseate (for a round). Shield Slam is a stun effect, I think.

Staggering Strike is a save-or-suck. Crippling Strike and the various ambush feats are no-save, but will rarely do much compared to just sneak attacking someone down to dead.

mcl01
2010-06-23, 08:08 PM
Cha focused warriors (bards, paladins, sorcerer swiftblades) have the sudden stunning weapon enhancement from DMGII. A stun effect for 1d4+1 rounds usable CHA times per day with a scaling, CHA based DC.

Level 10 Paladin with 24 CHA (+7) can activate it 7 times per day for a DC22 reflex save or stun for 1d4+1 rounds. It's very short term, but depending on the situation, can easily turn to a save-or-lose.

Bards also have the very nice spell, Bladeweave. A swift action spell that allows allows you to force a save vs daze every round you hit an enemy. Once again, a quite nice save-or-lose.

Flickerdart
2010-06-23, 08:08 PM
Sorry about that. But isnt Death Attack also from half-casting classes?
But not as a direct consequence of spells or similar, which is the important bit.

I cannot find the Sudden Stunning enhancement. What page is it?

Lans
2010-06-23, 09:06 PM
Things that can be gotten through feats
Boomerang Daze(RoE) and Standstill both have up beatable DCs
Dire Flail and a Shield Feats that causes Daze.
True name effects.
Hammer's Edge, Three Mountains Style Anvil of Thunder Style from CW
Stunning Fist,
Imperious Command not exactly SoX, but is pretty close.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-23, 09:07 PM
No Incarnum? :C

imperialspectre
2010-06-23, 09:14 PM
Yeah, so, um, massive damage only ever hurts PCs, because monsters are designed to die anyway but PCs take massive damage saves repeatedly and will eventually roll a 1. Anything that, by design, necessarily screws over the players is *probably* something you want to get out of the game. Myou is, as usual, correct. :)

Other than massive damage and the (weak) SoX effects that have been described, though, there are only a couple feats that let you trigger minor status effects (and a few weapons that do the same). It's one more example of poor design in the "Fighters can't have nice things" department.

Il_Vec
2010-06-23, 09:17 PM
Does grappling count? It is kind-of a maybe-save-or-suck. Other than that, those Imperious Command builds I keep hearing about come to mind.

fryplink
2010-06-23, 09:42 PM
UMD, im pretty sure with enough ranks in UMD any class can have a SoX,(you can hit me now)

I think SoX's are intentionally scant among non-casters, as non-casters had other roles in the "traditional Party (tank,band-aid,blaster,skill monkey) the casters "blast" with SoX's. That would also explain why they become more common later on.

Arbitrarity
2010-06-23, 09:46 PM
Basilisk Mask Totem Meld. Save or be ****ed by Adamantine, to quote the handbook.

That's actually really easy to boost, as well. Dragonborn Mongrelfolk is a good start, and a few levels of Warshaper (by taking, say... a Werebear LA level from SS, which gives Shapechanger subtype), then maybe 3 levels of Master of Masks, dip some save penalizers like Hexblade (for Dark Companion), aaand you can auto-force level appropriate enemies to fail their saves, and get carved up by your team.

UserClone
2010-06-23, 10:13 PM
Basilisk Mask Totem Meld. Save or be ****ed by Adamantine, to quote the handbook.

That's actually really easy to boost, as well. Dragonborn Mongrelfolk is a good start, and a few levels of Warshaper (by taking, say... a Werebear LA level from SS, which gives Shapechanger subtype), then maybe 3 levels of Master of Masks, dip some save penalizers like Hexblade (for Dark Companion), aaand you can auto-force level appropriate enemies to fail their saves, and get carved up by your team.

Once you take a level of werebear, you're locked into werebear till the end if its progression.

Arbitrarity
2010-06-23, 10:20 PM
See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession.

Keld Denar
2010-06-23, 10:24 PM
There is also Three Mountains Strike for a save vs nausia

Standstill is a save vs not move.

Stacking fear effects is a no save, just suck.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-23, 10:33 PM
witchslayer PrC, not a caster, capstone ability grants a save vs. AMF effect. pretty nasty little devil if you happen to be able to boost its save high enough.

Akal Saris
2010-06-23, 11:49 PM
Poisons have their drawbacks, but it's usually how my non-magical characters get their SoXs going.

At very low levels (1-4) the poison DCs are still pretty strong and you get effects like nauseate, unconsciousness, and stunning for dirt cheap. At mid levels you can get 1-2 of those effects at a DC 20-26 for a much higher effect, and at very high levels you can either knock somebody out through ability damage or pay a ton/fabricate a crowd control poison.

And for another SoD, Pit Fiend Venom's secondary effect is DC 28 fort or die. Fun if you have access to a pit fiend somehow :P

Zaq
2010-06-24, 02:37 AM
There are a few non-magical ways to get fear effects going (Dreadful Wrath, Intimidating Strike, Daunting Presence, and just vanilla demoralize leap to mind), and with enough of them, you start fear-stacking.

Iferus
2010-06-24, 04:03 AM
How about Anvil of Thunder? Hit with two different weapons to daze for one round.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-24, 04:30 AM
The Reaping Mauler PrC has a death-grapple.

The Arcanopath Monk PrC (Dragon Compendium) has a bunch of anti-caster SoX's.

Darrin
2010-06-24, 04:39 AM
Staggering Strike is save vs. stagger.

Boomerang Daze is save vs. daze.

Then there's the various fear-optimization builds... Frightful Presence, Zhentarim Fighter or CW-Samurai with Imperious Command + skill trick + etc.

There are some melee weapon abilities that have save vs. {blah}, although most of them have been nerfed in the MIC. However, they missed one: Torturous in Ghostwalk, +1 enhancement for save vs. stun DC 12, although you can upgrade it to a +2 enhancement and a DC 17.

Albonor
2010-06-24, 04:57 AM
Hellreaver has a capstone ability agains evil outsiders: save or blow up. Really. The target blows up in a explosion of light. The hellreaver then does it next round against the next fiend and so on for a while. Great if you have a wizard with enervation who acted the round before to lower the saves.

FCII, probably the most powerful non-cheese PrC for melee characters.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-24, 06:27 AM
I'm particularly fond of Knock-Down + Knockback. Every time you attack, you get a free trip and a free bull rush. That opponent has to spend a move-action to get up and another move-action to get back into melee, so every time you attack you waste an opponent's next turn.

Runestar
2010-06-24, 06:34 AM
It's called dealing more damage than the enemy has hp. Works every time. And no save required. :smallamused:

mcl01
2010-06-24, 07:28 AM
I cannot find the Sudden Stunning enhancement. What page is it?

AFB, but I believe it's around p250ish. It's in the new weapon enhancement section along with all the _____ Surges and synergy abilities.

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-24, 07:44 AM
To add something to what people said above:

- Staggering Critical (DoTU) target is (surprisingly) staggered on a critical. No save.

- Dragon Compendium has Staggering Blow: save vs stun with bludgeoning weapons crits

- Dragon Magazines have few Eye-gouging and Deafening tactical feats. Not so good, but sorta forerunnes of the current Critical Feats in Pathfinder.

- Epic has Devastating Critical: save vs death on a critical hit with a specific weapon

- Death of enemies is similar, but works against ranger favored enemy with any weapon.

PId6
2010-06-24, 07:53 AM
Coup de grace?

It's called dealing more damage than the enemy has hp. Works every time. And no save required. :smallamused:
Delay Death + Beastland Ferocity says hi.

Ruinix
2010-06-24, 09:55 AM
desvasting critical and ranged desvasting critical.

UserClone
2010-06-24, 10:07 AM
See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

*The more you know*

Thanks! Now I can play lycanthropes again!:smallbiggrin: