PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph any object-what happens when they're eaten?

Ilmryn
2010-06-23, 08:27 PM
If something(lets say a wooden log) is polymorphed into something edible(lets say a strawberry) and eaten, what happens when the duration runs out? Does it get nasty, or does something else happen. If it does get nasty, this would probably be an effective way of assasination...

Pie Guy
2010-06-23, 08:55 PM
Well, for a wooden log into a strawberry, the duration would be permanent.

Otherwise: Boom!

Same Kingdom +5
Same class +2
same or lower inteligence +2
adds up to nine: Permanent.

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-23, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I always figured it got nasty. I'm pretty sure there are no rules about that sport of thing, so it's technically fiat either way.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-23, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I always figured it got nasty. I'm pretty sure there are no rules about that sport of thing, so it's technically fiat either way.

Well, you can extrapolate - Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) has rules for what happens when you try to Grow someone who's in too small of an area - Str check to burst bonds, or be held captive. If you work it the same way...

A large rock (to avoid the "same kingdom" duration factor) doesn't have a strength score. So the person's belly gets very, very full. And they need to see some kind of doctor or another to actually, you know, eat again. But it doesn't get messy.

Now, if you use PAO on something with a really high strength score, and feed that to someone, it could get messy....

gbprime
2010-06-23, 11:22 PM
Turning a bag of caltrops into a strawberry would work.

Or a pile of narcotics, so long as it's a mineral. When it wears off three hours later... overdose.

Hendel
2010-06-23, 11:27 PM
Maybe it would look like this. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0638.html)

Anxe
2010-06-23, 11:41 PM
Well the strawberry would've been digested. Thus the log would have been digested too. They'd suddenly have a lot of fiber in their intestines instead of juice, but it wouldn't be dangerous.

Assuming it hadn't been digested yet... It either gets ugly or doesn't based on the DM.

Ilmryn
2010-06-24, 09:37 AM
Well the strawberry would've been digested. Thus the log would have been digested too. They'd suddenly have a lot of fiber in their intestines instead of juice, but it wouldn't be dangerous.

Assuming it hadn't been digested yet... It either gets ugly or doesn't based on the DM.

Well, assuming it is a big log, there would be enough fiber to burst the body of a medium humanoid. There would be a lot more fiber than there was juice. Now if it was a dragon that ate the strawberry, the story would be different...

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 09:49 AM
Well, you can always polymorph the ranger's panther into a plum pudding...

Skorj
2010-06-24, 10:12 AM
I ran this in a game years ago, at least for polymorph other. I ruled that the polymorphed creature retained its original HP for purposes of digestion, that you can't polymorph something that has already been eaten, but a dispel magic has a chance to work if you polymorph something before eating (as Ilmryn suggested) and want to trigger the result before the duration runs out.

In that case, it was a brontosaurus into a fly in the target's soup. The results were ... colorful.

Of course, if this works in your world, everyone important would add it to the list of things they detect on their food before eating, but it was mostly "rule of funny".

Set
2010-06-24, 10:20 AM
Shrink Item could be similarly abused, I imagine.

On the one hand, does a destroyed item revert back immediately? So if I turned a horse into a unicorn and chopped off it's horn, would I have a real unicorn horn, or a bit of horse mane? If it's immediate, does the item change back the moment the strawberry is crushed by the consumer's teeth, and go shooting out of his mouth, possibly breaking his jaw (or 'sploding his head) in the process?

Does a strawberry that is no longer a strawberry, but mushed up pulp halfway on it's way through the magical fun factory that turns food to poop, still revert, or is it effectively 'destroyed' and no longer a strawberry at all?

flabort
2010-06-24, 10:45 AM
We're going about this all wrong. A strawberry is something that gets chewed up when eaten. A pill, on the other hand, is simply swallowed.
Polymorph a Large-sized Great sword (coated with a poison?) into a small pill (tell them it's for that indigestion), and dispell right after they swallow.
If you're quick enough, *Beheads*