PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Random Race (and Class!) Tables...

Zovc
2010-06-23, 08:44 PM
A while back, I started a "game" on RPoL. My goal for it was to turn it into a hub where people could organize quick, random D&D sessions. Not much came of it, because I didn't put much work into it (and thus, didn't really want to advertise it). It's still there, and I came back to do some work on it--I built my own random tables.

So far, I think I've gotten every LA+0(/0 or 1HD) race that isn't Dragon Magazine material. If you want to check it out or look over it, feel free to do so.

This (http://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=41360&ti=1&date=1277268763) is a link to the thread containing my tables. They are the second post. (Subraces have their own tables, I didn't want to clutter up the 'base table'. Any table lacking numbering is one that I'm afraid to number just yet because there may be more entries.)

Are there any other "template-races" like Dragonborn with a LA+0? Are there any other LA+1 races with no HD who have the Outsider type I could add to the lesser planetouched table?

Bakkan
2010-06-23, 10:29 PM
I believe you have left out one of my favorite races, the Strongheart Halfling (from one of the FR books, I can't remember). Trades the +1 to saves for a bonus feat.

Zovc
2010-06-23, 10:51 PM
I believe you have left out one of my favorite races, the Strongheart Halfling (from one of the FR books, I can't remember). Trades the +1 to saves for a bonus feat.

I had also left out the Psionic races! Curse you, Crystal Keep!

I'll look for Strongheart Halfling, thanks for catching that--there's a good race!

I also added a random class table. I believe I have every Wizzo base class. I left out Incarnum classes due to their vastly different mechanics.

(I realized I left out the Dragonfire Adept while typing this, so I probably have skipped over some classes! Check my work!)

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 10:55 PM
Awesome. I suspect it's much better than mine.

edit: Added it to the D&D folder of my Favourites.

Zovc
2010-06-23, 11:03 PM
Awesome. I suspect it's much better than mine.

edit: Added it to the D&D folder of my Favourites.

X3!

It's still a work in progress, but you probably could get use out of it as-is, if you wanted to number the first table yourself. I'm also working on putting the 'random ramping' tables in.

Essentially, the last entry on LA+0 table will let you roll on a LA+1 table featuring both races and templates (which are then applied to LA+0 races, unless you manage to roll another LA+1 thingy). If I'm feeling crazy enough, I'll make that table end with 'roll on the LA+2 table.' If I'm feeling crazy enough. (Keep in mind, you can always say, "No, that's not what that entry says, it says 'roll again'.")

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 11:26 PM
I just checked my version (for reincarnation), and yours is absolutely definitely much better than mine.

Zovc
2010-06-23, 11:31 PM
Just added Goblins (and many subraces for them) and Desert Kobolds. I didn't add any other kobold subraces because they were all light sensitive.

Giving Crystal Keep another sweep before I start working on LA+1, if I do that tonight.

Zovc
2010-06-24, 12:19 AM
I added a few more lesser planetouched to the list, I'll get on LA+1 in the near future.

Wonton
2010-06-24, 01:28 AM
How about Neanderthals (Frostburn)? Possibly the best Barbarian race out there.

Zovc
2010-06-24, 01:33 AM
How about Neanderthals (Frostburn)? Possibly the best Barbarian race out there.

They're listed as a human subrace in Crystal Keep--made enough sense to me. Same goes for Bhuka being goblin subraces.

Thanks for checking the table out, though! :3

Wonton
2010-06-24, 01:44 AM
What I'd (obviously) like to see is columns detailing what ability bonuses (or other notable things, like flight) the races give. It would make for efficient character creation ("Alright, I need a +2 Cha race for this sorcerer..."). Not sure if you can do that without violating copyrights or something though.

Zovc
2010-06-24, 02:15 AM
What I'd (obviously) like to see is columns detailing what ability bonuses (or other notable things, like flight) the races give. It would make for efficient character creation ("Alright, I need a +2 Cha race for this sorcerer..."). Not sure if you can do that without violating copyrights or something though.

In all fairness, that's beyond the scope of what this is going for. Almost every race mentioned in those tables can be found in Crystal Keep's Races PDF. What's more, Crystal Keep actually has races organized by ability score bonuses at the end of its .PDF. :)

rojomoke
2010-06-24, 11:45 AM
<nitpick>It's genasi, not gensai</nitpick>

Apart from that, brilliant!
Do I remember a "grey orc" subrace in a supplement somewhere?

Flickerdart
2010-06-24, 11:49 AM
<nitpick>It's genasi, not gensai</nitpick>

Apart from that, brilliant!
Do I remember a "grey orc" subrace in a supplement somewhere?
I believe it's from Forgotten Realms somewhere - +1 or +2 LA, favoured class Cleric, +2 STR and WIS?

FMArthur
2010-06-24, 12:19 PM
What's so bad about Light Sensitivity that it merits disclusion from your lists? Eating a -1 penalty to attack, Search and Spot in bright light isn't the worst thing in the world. Sun lenses and Sundark Goggles cost 10 gp.

Zovc
2010-06-24, 01:02 PM
What's so bad about Light Sensitivity that it merits disclusion from your lists? Eating a -1 penalty to attack, Search and Spot in bright light isn't the worst thing in the world. Sun lenses and Sundark Goggles cost 10 gp.

It seems like a pretty big deal at level 1. If it can be avoided with 10gp, It's not that bad, though.

Does anyone else think I should include light sensitive races on the tables?

UndeadCleric
2010-06-24, 02:32 PM
It seems like a pretty big deal at level 1. If it can be avoided with 10gp, It's not that bad, though.

Does anyone else think I should include light sensitive races on the tables?

Might as well. I guess you could make a side table but Id go for inclusion in the normal table.

gorfnab
2010-06-24, 02:34 PM
On the half-elf table you should consider adding half-drow.

FMArthur
2010-06-24, 06:32 PM
Even at level 1 without the 10gp permanent solutions to Light Sensitivity/Light Blindness, I wouldn't consider a -1 penalty to attack to be especially horrible. I'd rather play a nearly-blind deep dwarf than a half-elf. Why disclude it in the first place for being slightly disadvantaged? :smallconfused:

The-Mage-King
2010-06-24, 06:34 PM
Uh, you forgot Aventi, from Stormwrack.