PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Arcane Archer

Private-Prinny
2010-06-23, 11:49 PM
Trap. That's the word that I have always seen being used to describe the Arcane Archer. I'm hoping to fix that. This class has great flavor and I would like to see it be usable. Here I go.

Arcane Archer

http://dragonsdenls.com/images/Arcane%20Archer.bmp

When I loose my arrow, it shall be a flash of lightning. No, that is not a metaphor.

The Arcane Archer is a warrior skilled in using magic to supplement her combat prowess. Arcane Archers gain renown throughout entire kingdoms for their supernatural ability with a bow and their ability to imbue their arrows with magic. In a group, they can strike fear into an entire enemy army.

Becoming an Arcane Archer

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level arcane spells
Special: Must be proficient with either a longbow or shortbow.
Special: Must have been trained by another Arcane Archer.

Class Skills
The Arcane Archer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge [Arcana] (Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at each level: 4+Int mod

Hit Die: d8

Arcane Archer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Imbue Arrow|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Enhance Arrow +1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Seeker Arrow|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Enhance Arrow +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Manyshot|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Enhance Arrow +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Phase Arrow|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Enhance Arrow +4|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Hail of Arrows|-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Enhance Arrow +5, Arrow of Death|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Arcane Archer is proficient with the longbow and shortbow (and the composite versions of each), as well as light armor.

Spellcasting: At every even level, an Arcane Archer gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in an arcane had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as the bonus feat sometimes gained by a wizard). If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an Arcane Archer, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Imbue Arrow (Sp): At 1st level, the Arcane Archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell's area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow's range rather than the spell's range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

Enhance Arrow (Su): At 2nd level, every nonmagical arrow an Arcane Archer nocks and lets fly becomes magical, gaining various properties. An Arcane Archer can, as a free action, expend at least 1/2 spell levels to choose any enhancement of +1 value to apply to her arrow. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the archer need not spend experience points or gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, an archer's magic arrows only function for her. For every two levels that the archer advances past 2nd level in the prestige class, the arrows she creates gain +1 greater potency for an additional 1/2 spell level (Up to +1 worth of enhancements at 2nd level, +2 at 4th, +3 at 6th, +4 at 8th, and +5 at 10th).

Seeker Arrow (Sp): At 3rd level, an Arcane Archer can use her magic to make her arrows unerringly accurate. By expending 3 spell levels, an she can fire an arrow at an enemy within range, and the arrow travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the arrow's range prevents the arrow's flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Alternatively, you can expend spell levels to grant yourself a +1 bonus on the attack roll for every spell level expended. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the arrow is part of the action).

Manyshot: At 5th level, the Arcane Archer gains Manyshot as a bonus feat, even if she doesn't meet the prerequisites. If you already have the Manyshot feat, you may select any feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Phase Arrow (Sp): At 7th level, an Arcane Archer's Seeker Arrow becomes a Phase Arrow, ignoring Armor and Shield modifiers in addition to Cover and Concealment.

Hail of Arrows (Ex): At 9th level, in lieu of her regular attacks, an Arcane Archer can expend 5 spell levels to fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every Arcane Archer level she has earned. Each attack uses the archers highest base attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow.

Arrow of Truedeath (Sp): At 10th level, an Arcane Archer can create an Arrow of Truedeath that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow's attack, to make a DC (20+primary spellcasting modifier) Fortitude save or be slain immediately (this is a death effect). If a creature is slain by the arrow, its soul is consumed and it cannot be resurrected except by Miracle or Wish. It takes one day to make an Arrow of Truedeath, and the arrow only functions for the Arcane Archer who created it. The Arrow of Truedeath lasts no longer than one year, and the archer can only have one such arrow in existence at a time.

Any thoughts? Improvements?

Change LogBuffed capstone, making the enemy unable to be resurrected.
Lowered BAB requirement from +6 to +4.
Added Spellcasting entry under abilities.
Changed the Enhance Arrow ability to an on-the-fly resource expenditure.
Changed to half-casting progression.

jiriku
2010-06-24, 01:19 AM
Possible?

Arrow of Truedeath (Sp): At 10th level, you can create an arrow of truedeath that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow's attack, to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + arcane archer level + choice of Int or Cha modifier) or be slain instantly (this is a death effect). On a successful save, the target still takes 3d6 + caster level negative energy damage. Even if it saves, if the creature is slain by the attack, its soul is consumed by the arrow and it cannot be resurrected. It takes one hour to create an arrow of truedeath and the arrow only functions for the arcane archer who created it. The archer can only have one such arrow in existence at a time.

Vaynor
2010-06-24, 01:39 AM
BAB requirement seems a bit too high for a gish class, you'd need to be at least level 8 before taking a level in this class, which seems a bit late. I'd reduce the requirement to +4 at least to allow entry at level 7 at least.

Also, I've always been of the opinion that the arcane archer didn't really even need a fix, just casting progression and it was fine. And maybe a buff to the capstone (remove craft time, make it a buff you can add to an arrow x/day).

Edit: On that note, it's always bothered me how WotC gives casters as many save-or-dies as they like but melee characters only get them 1/day or 1/week as some kind of capstone, and it's often worse than other spells.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-24, 10:24 AM
So, is no news good news, or do I still have some kinks to work out?

Mando Knight
2010-06-24, 10:39 AM
Even if it saves, if the creature is slain by the attack, its soul is consumed by the arrow and it cannot be resurrected.
For an ability you can unleash once an hour, this is a bit too harsh. How many 9th level spells irrevocably destroy the soul, without a mention of True Resurrection, Wish, or Miracle?

Special: Must be proficient with either a longbow or shortbow, or the composite versions of each.
Isn't that redundant? The composite versions of the weapons use the same proficiencies as the base weapon.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-24, 10:57 AM
Definitely agree with dropping the BAB - having to wait until 9th or 10th level for the class seems way too much. I think spellcaster progression is a bit much - the character becomes pretty much just a spellslinger with a bow.

What would probably work best is a limited set of available spells, like the assassin, that would synergize well with the archery aspect. I'd have to go through the book to figure out which spells, but Truestrike definitely leaps to mind. The casting ability would stack with other spellcasting levels.

Also, at odd levels, the Arcane Archer gains the ability to use the Quicken feat in conjunction with an archery attack - 1/day at first level, progressing up to 5/day at 9th.

Jota
2010-06-24, 11:00 AM
All it really needed was to advance spellcasting to be viable; anything else is gravy. Plus, it's not like you've made wholesale changes -- the abilities have been rearranged to account for the spellcasting advances, but aside from manyshot and the capstone change it's not really enough variation to merit a lot of discussion, you know?

Private-Prinny
2010-06-24, 07:10 PM
All it really needed was to advance spellcasting to be viable; anything else is gravy. Plus, it's not like you've made wholesale changes -- the abilities have been rearranged to account for the spellcasting advances, but aside from manyshot and the capstone change it's not really enough variation to merit a lot of discussion, you know?

I also changed the other abilities from 1/day to a resource expenditure, added an improvement to the Seeker Arrows, and changed up the Enhance Arrow ability. Really, Imbue Arrow is the only thing that stayed exactly the same.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-25, 06:45 PM
All it really needed was to advance spellcasting to be viable; anything else is gravy.

I'm afraid I must disagree with this. The spellcasting advances, even missing two levels, makes the Arcane Archer just yet another arcane caster PrC, this time with a bow as a backup. For that, you should just be an Eldritch Knight who specializes in archery.

Mulletmanalive
2010-06-25, 06:55 PM
i agree with the above. A 1/2 caster progression would have been more than enough to keep magic a FEATURE of the class. As an 8/10, i can't see the point of actually using a non-casting action. Ever. Ergo, i can't see the point of taking the class.

Enhance Arrows shouldn't allow the character to circumvent the requirement that the arrow have an enhancement bonus.

I'll say that i like the tie-in with the spellcasting on the secondary abilities. It's a feature that's lacking in most gish and TOB classes which makes them seem clumsy. This does not.

If you really desire to deny the enhancement bonus on the arrows, make with using spell levels for that, something like 1/2 a spell level per +1.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-25, 08:19 PM
i agree with the above. A 1/2 caster progression would have been more than enough to keep magic a FEATURE of the class. As an 8/10, i can't see the point of actually using a non-casting action. Ever. Ergo, i can't see the point of taking the class.

Hmm... I'll do a quick change, just to see if I can make this more interesting.

Enhance Arrows shouldn't allow the character to circumvent the requirement that the arrow have an enhancement bonus.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying there. Enhance Arrows allows the archer to apply enhancements to non-magical arrows.

I'll say that i like the tie-in with the spellcasting on the secondary abilities. It's a feature that's lacking in most gish and TOB classes which makes them seem clumsy. This does not.

Thank you. That's what I was aiming for. :smallbiggrin:

If you really desire to deny the enhancement bonus on the arrows, make with using spell levels for that, something like 1/2 a spell level per +1.

I like this. Into the changes it goes.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-29, 05:49 PM
Shameless bump.

Mulletmanalive
2010-06-29, 06:06 PM
Might be worth clarifying whether all you arrows count as magical, even without spending spell slots, i.e. can it punch through DR/magic. Useful to know. Seems entirely reasonable.

I've just noticed that you've got almost infinite flexibility but high cost on Enhance Arrows. Was that the intention? Or were you originally going to limit the options and have it apply for a period of time? I don't want to go disrupting that with my suggestions...

That said, always having the right tool could be worth a lot, no?

Private-Prinny
2010-06-29, 06:50 PM
Might be worth clarifying whether all you arrows count as magical, even without spending spell slots, i.e. can it punch through DR/magic. Useful to know. Seems entirely reasonable.

I thought that keeping the wording almost identical would be sufficient. Or was there the same argument over the original Arcane Archer?

I've just noticed that you've got almost infinite flexibility but high cost on Enhance Arrows. Was that the intention? Or were you originally going to limit the options and have it apply for a period of time? I don't want to go disrupting that with my suggestions...

That said, always having the right tool could be worth a lot, no?

The original intent was to pick a single set of enhancements cost free for the entire day, but I thought the versatility thing would be better, as well as tying the whole resource expenditure aspect into one of the major abilities. I'd like to lower the cost, but I'm not quite sure how.

master zzan
2010-06-30, 10:16 AM
liked the spell casting upgrade,they really where stinky about that.liked also the "no more only elf may pass".

must say about true death arrow. i searched about soul's destruction for my soul thief.and it is considered an evil act of the out most high level.killing is one thing but utterly destroying a soul is a big no-no on the alignment scale. one way shift to evil by most DMs and campaigns. (try this in a "Ravenloft" setting will probably make the powers circle around you,power's check with almost no safe chance)

Witty Username
2010-06-30, 11:05 AM
I can scarcely believe that Arcane archer is being fixed. I like the class you made but I had great experiences with my elf wizard 1/ranger 6/ arcane archer X. Speaking of which I noticed the spell casting requirement has been increased.

In any case good class.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-30, 02:27 PM
My fix was to simply make the enchantment bonus on ammunition and bows stack again. So your high level arcane archer with a +5 bow can fire his +5 arrows for +10 to hit and damage.

I don't see why not, there are spells that duplicate most of the permanent weapon enchantments and they don't require the weapon already be magical.
You don't need to cast keen edge on a magic weapon for it to work, any piercing or slashing weapon will do.

Navigator
2010-06-30, 03:08 PM
If you haven't looked at it yet, Pathfinder has a nice rewrite of the Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/arcane-archer). The requirements are pretty heavy, but it has some nice abilities and 7/10 casting.

Chrono22
2010-06-30, 04:33 PM
If you want to avoid all that extra prestiging and want an arcane archer class you can play out of the box at level 1, here's my Arcane Archer base class (http://kingdoms-of-illuria.googlegroups.com/web/Arcane_Archer.doc?gda=wY813EMAAACEK3iU-FW49NXj8XutMguNf9ccdNBCl5n69qwGjXxe2fhYKvg2TslCPfE 8De5-NhIytiJ-HdGYYcPi_09pl8N7FWLveOaWjzbYnpnkpmxcWg).