PDA

View Full Version : Help Make a character that rolls a bucker of D6's (3.5)

Grifthin
2010-06-24, 04:30 AM
I have recently come into the possession of a bucket of d6's. To celebrate my love of rolling masses of dice I've decided I need a character to properly indulge in mass d6 rolling. To this end can anyone help me with a character that rolls HEAPS of d6's on each attack ? I was thinking gestalt, up to level 20. Anything goes. So far I've thought of something like:

warlock 6 /incarnate 1/Hellfire warlock 3/ Legacy Champion 10 (hellfire warlock) ? For the one side of the build that gets me a delicious 29d6 Blasty damage ?

So would you be able to sneak attack with a Eldricht blast ? Wouldn't you be able to add another 10d6 sneak attack dice ontop of that ? 39 d6's sounds good - but MOAR dice are required - what do you guys recommend ?

AslanCross
2010-06-24, 04:33 AM
Any attack that requires an attack roll qualifies for Sneak Attack. Eldritch Blast qualifies for Sneak Attack just as ray spells do.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-24, 04:56 AM
You could do something like Rogue 1/ Psychic Rogue 1/ Thug 1/ Spellthief 1/ Ninja 1/ Assassin 1/ Psychic Assassin 1/ etc. to get 1d6 sneak attack per level. I'm pretty sure you can find enough base/prestige classes which grant 1d6 sneak attack at 1st level to go all the way to 20 like that. Definitely get a couple more Warlock levels next to Incarnate and those Legacy Champion levels which don't increase your Hellfire Warlock class features. At 19 and 20 you should include Crusader 2 for Aura of Chaos, so every d6 that lands on a 6 adds another die of damage, and pick up Deadly Precision somewhere in there.

Another option would be Scout 4/ Ranger 16 with Swift Hunter, so you can move and EB with Skirmish. That would get you a lot more skill points/level with a +19 BAB, and some decent spellcasting if you use Mystic Ranger.

PId6
2010-06-24, 07:48 AM
Wizard/Incantatrix//Rogue with Twinned Empowered Maximized Searing Orbs of Fire.

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 08:01 AM
Xeph Wizard 4/Rogue 1/Unseen Seer 10/Spellwarp Sniper 5 with Psionic Shot and Greater Psionic Shot.

With each Scorching Ray spell, that's 4d6 + 4d6 + 4d6 (rays) + 1d6 (Rogue) + 4d6 (US) + 2d6 (SS) + 4d6 (Greater Psionic Shot)

= 23d6 before metamagic (e.g. Twinned) with a second-level spell.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-24, 08:14 AM
You could do something like Rogue 1/ Psychic Rogue 1/ Thug 1/ Spellthief 1/ Ninja 1/ Assassin 1/ Psychic Assassin 1/ etc. to get 1d6 sneak attack per level. I'm pretty sure you can find enough base/prestige classes which grant 1d6 sneak attack at 1st level to go all the way to 20 like that. Definitely get a couple more Warlock levels next to Incarnate and those Legacy Champion levels which don't increase your Hellfire Warlock class features. At 19 and 20 you should include Crusader 2 for Aura of Chaos, so every d6 that lands on a 6 adds another die of damage, and pick up Deadly Precision somewhere in there.The only problem is not having PrC//PrC at any given level, considering both HFW and Legacy Champion are PrC's.

Another option would be Scout 4/ Ranger 16 with Swift Hunter, so you can move and EB with Skirmish. That would get you a lot more skill points/level with a +19 BAB, and some decent spellcasting if you use Mystic Ranger.

Not nearly as many dice, though. Swift Hunter builds generally run with some method of obtaining 10' move for free (training dummy of the master) or Cloistered Cleric dip for Travel Devotion, then cranking out multiple attacks you make with your bow. EB is once per round, normally.

There is a solution, of course. It's a cute little spell which adds +1d6/3 caster levels. And we all know how you can crank caster levels up into obscene territory.

Arbitrarity
2010-06-24, 08:23 AM
Just add in Eldritch Glaive. Since it gives you iteratives, suddenly you're multiplying your dice rolled by a factor of 3.

Devas
2010-06-24, 08:32 AM
This thread needs more Disintegrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm)... :smallcool:

Arbitrarity
2010-06-24, 08:48 AM
Disintegrate doesn't roll enough dice.

On the other side, See This Thread.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8289.0

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 08:50 AM
Disintegrate doesn't roll enough dice.

On the other side, See This Thread.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8289.0

A disintegrate sneak attack?

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 08:52 AM
This thread needs more Disintegrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm)... :smallcool:

Ah yes, I did forget that.

51d6 with my build, Twinned becomes 102d6, cast Gravestrike first and you can one-shot Xykon.

PId6
2010-06-24, 08:56 AM
51d6 with my build, Twinned becomes 102d6, cast Gravestrike first and you can one-shot Xykon.
Didn't Xykon have Ray Deflection or Greater Spell Immunity (Disintegrate) or something like that? :smallconfused:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 09:03 AM
Didn't Xykon have Ray Deflection or Greater Spell Immunity (Disintegrate) or something like that? :smallconfused:

Or just deflection AC.

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 09:07 AM

More likely just deflection AC (and V had massive penalties to attack from sleep deprivation anyway)

subject42
2010-06-24, 09:08 AM
Don't forget about items. You can get a few d6s from the Chausuble of Fell Power and another few from the Piercer cloak if you have elevation.

Do the gloves of Eldritch admixture do d4s or d6s? I'm not at my books.

Person_Man
2010-06-24, 09:26 AM
I would go with a some combination of Monk, Psychic Warrior (with the Tashalatora feat so that they stack), and Enlightened Fist or Sacred Fist so that you can deliver spells as part of a full attack.

With all the various increases to size and unarmed damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777), it shouldn't be hard to get up to 12d6 damage for each attack, plus whatever you can get from your spells (another 20d6 isn't out of the question with high level spells and metamagic).

A full attack will give you a lot more d6's then a single ray or touch spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-24, 09:37 AM
IIRC the gloves of eldritch admixture added up to 4d6, also I think vitoilic blast added a few d6 and let us forget about SR..... aren't there some enchancment to weapons that add one or two sneak attacks?...assassiation or deadly?

Grumman
2010-06-24, 09:47 AM
For one side, you could use my Drow Murderer build:

Shadow Creature Lesser Drow Rokugan Ninja 4 / Lion-totem, Ranger-variant Barbarian 1 / Dread Fang of Lolth 10 / Iaijutsu Master 5.

You get three full attacks in the first round of combat (Belt of Battle, surprise round and first round), and every attack is made against a flat-footed opponent with 2d6 sneak attack, 5d6 sudden strike, and xd6 iajutsu strike, plus ~4d6 sneak attack from other things.

gallagher
2010-06-24, 10:01 AM
have a good UMD and get a wand of grease at the highest CL you can. grease up a whole lot of stuff, hit them with your EB. make it an eldritch glaive so you threaten an area.

also, check out this thread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156879)

Kurald Galain
2010-06-24, 10:03 AM
This warlock//rogue build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3990257&postcount=5) has a bunch of dice-adding options you could look into.

Vulaas
2010-06-24, 11:18 AM
Also, there is the classic of a many-shot factotum piling on the Font of Inspiration feats and burning inspiration like crazy for extra actions using a +1 splitting (as many other properties as you like) bow (sizing appropriately, so longbow if small, shortbow if medium) for buckets of d6's (assuming you can get up to +16 BAB in gestalt...Yeah, you'll be fine).

Ilmryn
2010-06-24, 11:27 AM
If you can reduce metamagic enough, you can do this:
Empowered Twinned Energy Admixed Moonbow:This gives you(at lvl20) (1d4*1.5)*2 (I will assume a max roll on this; I would usually maximize.) So, 12 bolts. The bolts each deal(I will count the empowering as extra d6 instead of multiplying final damage, your DM will probably let you do this if you really want to roll as many d6 as possible) 30d6 damage. Assuming all 12 bolts hit(they should, they're touch attacks) you deal 360d6 of damage. If you can somehow get 9d6 sneak on that as well, it applies to each attack(yes, moonbow is broken) giving you a grand total of 432d6 damage. I hope your bucket is big enough :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2010-06-24, 12:37 PM
I am just posting to say that I wish the "bucker" in the thread title was a typo for buckler rather than bucket.

tyckspoon
2010-06-24, 12:52 PM
I The bolts each deal(I will count the empowering as extra d6 instead of multiplying final damage, your DM will probably let you do this if you really want to roll as many d6 as possible) 30d6 damage.

Rolling the extra dice is in fact how Empower works, RAW. Multiplying the original dice roll is often done as a matter of convenience, but it's not the rule.

CyMage
2010-06-24, 01:18 PM
Xeph Wizard 4/Rogue 1/Unseen Seer 10/Spellwarp Sniper 5 with Psionic Shot and Greater Psionic Shot.

With each Scorching Ray spell, that's 4d6 + 4d6 + 4d6 (rays) + 1d6 (Rogue) + 4d6 (US) + 2d6 (SS) + 4d6 (Greater Psionic Shot)

= 23d6 before metamagic (e.g. Twinned) with a second-level spell.

Pick up Hunter's Eye with Unseen Seer, boost your CL and go to town.

2xMachina
2010-06-24, 01:20 PM
Optimize Iaijutsu focus and get 9d6 for having skill ranks?

Brendan
2010-06-24, 02:14 PM
must it be a weapon you use iajutsu focus on? could you draw a greater spell storing ring from your pocket, point it, and send either a metamagicked scorching ray or a disintegrate, with rogue on one side of your build and factotum on the other?
you get +10d6 from rogue (or much more if you do the multiclassing trick, which for this purpose, lets say is +19d6)
you use the factotum class feature to get another +10d6 by emulating, say, the ninja sudden strike.
you buff iajutsu focus for another +9d6
you use empowered disintegrate for +60d6 (and maybe get a metamagic reducer or two to add on much, much more, and if you can, twinned)
at the moment, +98d6, and it could be a lot higher if twinned could be added on. Double, I think. then cast all those spells that let you sneak attack the immune, and anyone who cannot see you is dead, or soon to be.
of course, this banks on that you can iajutsu focus a ring, and since I haven't read those rules in a while, I'm probably forgetting something. does it work?

2xMachina
2010-06-24, 02:22 PM
Hmm, Iaijutsu... you need to draw a melee weapon and attack. (Attack does not specify that it needs to be the melee weapon drawn).
So, draw a dagger, drop it and fire your ray. (If you need the move action, take quickdraw)

Morph Bark
2010-06-24, 03:05 PM
Hmm, Iaijutsu... you need to draw a melee weapon and attack. (Attack does not specify that it needs to be the melee weapon drawn).
So, draw a dagger, drop it and fire your ray. (If you need the move action, take quickdraw)

How about drawing an unarmed strike that holds the charge for a melee touch spell? Or ranged touch, if that could work. "Drawing" could be simply taking off a glove or taking it out of your pocket.

Grifthin
2010-06-24, 11:21 PM
This sound fun - thanks for all the responses.

Doc Roc
2010-06-24, 11:25 PM
I hear you'd like to deliver some mail (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer?pg=1).

Wonton
2010-06-25, 12:06 AM
Vengeful Gaze of God? DC 419 isn't that hard to hit. :smallbiggrin: