PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Eberron

Thefurmonger
2010-06-24, 11:30 AM
Hey Playgrounders.

So I am going to be joining a new campaign set in Eberron.

The DM has said we will be useing the Pathfinder rules BUT, he will let us use 3.5 base classes/PRC on a case by case basis.

Now I have never played Pathfinder befor but I am fairly famillier with it. The base classes are a LOT better then their 3.5 counterparts.

Now normally I play casters I really prefer Spont to prepared but thats just for ease of use.

Beguiller is my normal fav, going with the "Face" role.

I was looking at Changling as a race for the free disguise self.

I also really like druids, but from looking at them, it seems pathfinder is not the place i want to druid it up.

Really any advice would be great.

Thanks.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-24, 11:38 AM
being a changeling beguiler is somewhat redundant, since the changeling abilities can be replaced quickly

changeling rogue 1 would be very good for a party face and then you could also take levels in swordsage or factotum.

what level are you starting at and what kind of character are you looking to build?

Thefurmonger
2010-06-24, 11:44 AM
Well really Im not sure as yet

assume starting from 1

Im really looking for some insight on how the pathfinder base classes work out in play, i can see they are better, but how much better?

Am I shooting myself in the foot taking a 3.5 base class when I can take a pathfinder one?

Also, and insight on Eberron stuff that is really good for a character like this would be great.

Thanks again.

Hendel
2010-06-24, 11:59 AM
The Pathfinder base classes reward staying loyal to the class and not multi-classing a lot more than 3.5 does. In 3.5 the reason not to multi-class too much is that it messes up your character once you get to Epic levels. In Pathfinder you just keep getting more class features as you progress.

The most improved class in my opinion in Pathfinder is the sorcerer. Now you get extra spells and abilities for staying true to the class. For me some of those make it not worth multiclassing out too much.

Being an arcane caster is even better now since wish does not use XP but just gold. The same is true with item crafting feats. I am of the opinion that XP is worth 1,000's of GP so I would rather spend gold than experience any day.

Clerics remain tough and wizards are always going to be strong. I have not seen enough of the other classes to make a good recommendation, but just looking at the ranger and fighter, I would still be hard pressed to play one of them. I might give the monk a spin as the new version of flurry of blows proves to being promising.

Wagadodo
2010-06-24, 12:13 PM
If you like playing the face role. The Rogue would be a good option in Pathfinder. They get a lot of the loving from the increase stick. Better hit points per level, rogue talents, and other fun items. Work you way up to improved feint, and never have to worry about having a flanking buddy again if you are playing a Changeling. I am currently playing a changeling rogue right now, and unless it is the big bad I am always getting my feint on. Plus you get all the other face skills that make it important.

The fighter is better than it was, Paladin swung from eh, to wow at times. I haven't tried or seen played a Monk yet. And I really would like to try some of the advanced playtest base classes that have come out.

Thefurmonger
2010-06-24, 12:35 PM
Yeah I was looking at the Changling Rogue, the Racial levels look great.

My only issue is that in 3.5 Magic always wins. so while Rogues are cool. Beguillers are just better.

Wagadodo
2010-06-24, 12:58 PM
Beguilers I think would not have any problem fitting into a Pathfinder base class. One of the advantages you will have by playing rogue over a beguiler is that the rogue sneak attack now works on anything but incorpeal creatures, elementals, and specific monsters that say they immune to critical hits. Plus you get use magic as a class skill. It is not hard to get your skill up to where you are rolling a 20, so you can mimic a lot of the beguiler spells with a wand if need be. And the rogue talents can not be over looked. Be able to make a target bleed damage equal to that of sneak attack damage dice. 3d6 damage eguals a 3 bleed every round. Or just using the talents so you can take combat feats make you more veristal. A feat every level never hurts.

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-24, 01:06 PM
h
Being an arcane caster is even better now since wish does not use XP but just gold. The same is true with item crafting feats. I am of the opinion that XP is worth 1,000's of GP so I would rather spend gold than experience any day.

Just a remark: you need a reagent to cast the high cost spells (in cas of wish, you will need a 25,000 gold diamond). If somewhat is not affordable (you are prisoner, or someone stole you the bag or whatelse) no spell for you.

Previously, you "just" had to burn XP.

Thefurmonger
2010-06-24, 01:22 PM
Beguilers I think would not have any problem fitting into a Pathfinder base class. One of the advantages you will have by playing rogue over a beguiler is that the rogue sneak attack now works on anything but incorpeal creatures, elementals, and specific monsters that say they immune to critical hits. Plus you get use magic as a class skill. It is not hard to get your skill up to where you are rolling a 20, so you can mimic a lot of the beguiler spells with a wand if need be. And the rogue talents can not be over looked. Be able to make a target bleed damage equal to that of sneak attack damage dice. 3d6 damage eguals a 3 bleed every round. Or just using the talents so you can take combat feats make you more veristal. A feat every level never hurts.

Hrm, thats a really good point, time to re-read the talents.

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-24, 01:25 PM
Or just using the talents so you can take combat feats make you more veristal. A feat every level never hurts.

You cannot take 2 times the same talent. So 1 combat feat, 1 weapon focus, and then you must focus on other things (but there are other comabt-oriented talents like the said bleed).

I second the Pathfinder Rogue awesomeness, anyway.

Nero24200
2010-06-24, 03:28 PM
There may be a few other tweeks needed if you plan on playing Ebberon. For one thing, some races might need a bit of a boost (Changeling is a good example. The only feature it gains can be replaced with a 2,000 Gold item, the hat of disguise).

Artificer might need quite a re-working, since a fair portion of it's class features make no sense now (Like the Craft Reserve, or their ability to take XP from magic items created).