PDA

View Full Version : Finally, the Mastermind and Overlord follow-up

Angry Bob
2010-06-24, 11:50 AM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152990) the old thread. The old thread contains the other three Overlord classes, including updates to Capstones and Foibles, but post comments on them here to avoid thread necromancy. Sorry for taking so long, I couldn't grok together the mastermind's abilities.

This thread is a link to the old thread and a new compilation of foibles. And, of course, the fourth and final Overlord class.

Foibles:

Foible: An Overlord must have a foible, selected from the list below. Failure to adhere to a foible strips you of your Overlord class features and any spellcasting levels gained through that class for 24 hours. A few of these require worthy opponents. These are recurring enemies and are determined as such by the DM for each Overlord. An Overlord automatically knows who is a worthy opponent and who is not. So, while he knows who his worthy opponents are, he gains no special ability to pick them out if they're disguised or hidden unless he sees through their disguise or finds them by other means.

No, I Expect You to Dine: You cannot kill or capture a worthy opponent the first time you meet them.

Before I Kill You: When you are given a chance to kill a worthy opponent, you give an expository speech outlining any or all of the following: Why you do what you do, how much you hate them, and what you plan to do after they're dead. This speech must take a minimum of 10 rounds in-game, and the worthy opponent must be able to hear or at least understand it. After that, you're free to kill them whenever you feel like it.

Leave him to Me: If you are present, your followers can't attack a worthy opponent unless you are already attacking one, and they can't attack one you are attacking.

Orcus on his Throne: When you take this foible, you choose a base of operations. You must return to this base of operations after a week outside, and must remain in the base for one week after that. Unlike other foibles, if your remain outside your base of operations for more than a weak, you lose access to your class features as long as you remain outside after that and regain them upon returning to your fortress and remaining there for a week.

Left for dead: Neither you nor your underlings may coup-de grace a worthy opponent.

Minion-Shaped Blind Spot: The Overlord's cohort plans to kill him and take his place. The Warlord cannot act on this until the cohort directly attacks him, uses a spell clearly intended to cause him harm, or is seen directing forces against him.

Shun the Light: The Overlord hates the sun and can't spend more than 2 rounds in direct sunlight. If he does, he loses his class features and all spellcasting levels gained from this class for 24 hours.

Aversion to Good: The Overlord can't cast spells himself or via spell completion or activation items that have the Good descriptor or spells that appear in the healing, good, or sun domain spell lists. The Overlord can only take this foible if the spellcasting he advances with his class is divine.

Weakness for Wealth: When presented with what he perceives as a great amount of wealth(Worth 100,000 gold pieces or more) , the Overlord must spend 1d12 rounds wallowing if he isn't in any immediate danger. While wallowing, he takes a -6 penalty to listen, spot, and initiative checks.

I'm updating the old thread to follow this new capstone idea I had, but here it is:

Modular Capstones: Each Overlord class has access to a list of capstone abilities, which are drawn, as appropriate, from the list below.

Capstones:

Play Dead: At 5th level, The Overlord gets +20 on bluff checks to feign death. Characters that loot his body while he's 'dead' become worthy opponents. In addition, once a week, while feigning death, having taken damage, and unobserved, the Overlord may use teleport as a spell-like ability with the caster level equal to his character level.

Never Found the Body: At 5th level, if the Overlord is brought below -9 hit points, but his body is not observed by his enemies for at least three days, he is brought back to life as though through resurrection if his body was not completely obliterated.

Come Back as a Ghost: If the Overlord is brought below -9 hp but his body is unobserved by his enemies for at least an hour, he gains the Ghost template and comes back to "life". This can't happen while he is a ghost, but if he is brought back to true life, it may happen again normally.

Just a Decoy: Once a week, when brought below -9 hp, the Overlord may choose to be somewhere else within range of a teleport spell at a caster level equal to his character level, while the one that was brought below -9 will turn out to be just an impostor if the body is examined.

Behold the True Form: When brought below -9 hit points, the Overlord changes shape as though with polymorph cast at a caster level equal to his character level. He regains all hit points in this form, but the change is permanent, and once killed, he may not be brought back by any means short of a Miracle or Wish spell.

And now, the guy you've all been waiting for:

The Mastermind

The Mastermind is the fourth and final part of my overlord project. He shuns direct confrontation, weaving complex multilayered plans and watching them play out from a distance.

Prerequisites
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: Bluff 12 ranks, Diplomacy 12 ranks, knowledge (any two) 9 ranks, Disguise 9 ranks
Feats: Leadership, Skill Focus(Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate),

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge(all), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Skill Points Per Level: 8 + int mod

{table]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Unnatural Intellect, Foible
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | You Cannot Hide, You Cannot Run
3rd | +1 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Which am I?, Web of Deception
4th | +2 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Exactly as Planned
5th | +2 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Capstone[/table]

Class Features

Weapons and Armor: No new proficiencies.

Foible: As an Overlord, the Mastermind must choose a Foible at first level. The foibles available to the Mastermind are as follows. Failure to follow a foible results in the loss of all this class's class features for 24 hours except where noted. The Mastermind has access to the No, I Expect You to Dine, Before I Kill You and Minion-Shaped Blind Spot foibles.

Unnatural Intellect: At first level, the Mastermind may use Alarm, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Comprehend Languages, and Detect Secret Doors as spell-like abilities usable at will at caster level equal to your character level.

You Cannot Hide: Unlike other Overlord classes, the Mastermind immediately recognizes his worthy opponents, piercing any disguise, illusion, or anything else short of epic magic.

You Cannot Run: At second level, the Mastermind gains Locate Object and See Invisibility as spell-like abilities usable at will at a caster level equal to your character level.

Which am I?: At 3rd level, the Mastermind may use Mirror Image as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to his int modifier at CL=character level.

Web of Deception: At 3rd level, The Mastermind, and the Mastermind's followers and cohort are affected permanently as though under the effect of Undetectable Alignment. In addition, the Mastermind and the Mastermind's Cohort are affected permanently as though under the effect of Mind Blank.

Exactly as Planned: A 4th-level Mastermind may use Scrying and Arcane Eye as spell-like abilities a number of times per day equal to his int modifier each at caster level = character level. The saving throw for the scrying is DC 14 + Mastermind's Int modifier.

Capstone: At 5th level, the Mastermind chooses a capstone ability. He may choose from the following: Never found the Body, Come Back as a Ghost, Just a Decoy, and Behold the True Form.

DracoDei
2010-06-24, 05:33 PM
Sure to edit in a link from the first post of the original thread to this one... preferably at the top. I would copy the edits to the foibles over there when this thread draws to a close. You should also explain in that edit what can be found where. Editing does not bump threads, and therefore doesn't run afoul of the thread-omancy rules.

BLiZme.2
2010-07-10, 01:06 AM
Very cool.
Shouldn’t orcus on his throne be on the list of foibles for this one? Also maybe add Weakness for Wealth?
also the No, I Expect You to Dine foible and the Play Dead capstone work oddly together in that if someone becomes a worthy foe via the loot clause capstone then you don’t have to let them live the first time you meat them as a worthy foe as you by definition have already met them.
You Cannot Run may be the most op thing of any of these 4 but I think it is thematically appropriate and not too much of a boost especially the See Invisibility part as a simple permanency and a wizard can do that part. Basically AT WILL locate objects is a HUGE ability
I might add Play dead as a capstone option.