PDA

View Full Version : Half-Dryad (Race) PEACH

Kiren
2010-06-24, 03:59 PM
I always wanted to make a Dryad with a tree in a pot on its back. Now I can.

Although it needs more flavor, maybe change the standard human bonus of and extra feat and skill points to something else. I need suggestions on this one.

Half Dryad
Half Dryads are the rare result of some human-dryad pairings.

Appearance:
Half Dryad's are as varied as humans, albeit they are significantly smaller in stature.
Half Dryad's skin and hair varied from a Dryad's Leaf hair and wood/bark skin, to human skin and hair.
When possessing hair it may be any color present in nature, but tends toward a green or mint color.
A dryad's leaf hair and wooden skin varies, sometimes keeping to one kind or changing with the half Dryad's current tree. Leaves sometimes change with seasons.
Unlike full Dryad's, they do not require a big tree to stay alive, they instead tend towards carrying a tree in a pot, groomed as a bonsai tree of sorts.

Social:
They keep a significant connection to nature, for some conflicting with their human side. If the tree dies a replacement must be found or the half dryad will die.
Socially awkward, keeping with the whimsical mentality of human-like fey + the curiosity of the human, they will tend towards the druid class and many even become inventors.
A good portion talk fast with generous use of sentence fragments, but not in an illiterate way.
Many would never think of seriously harming nature, and work to live with nature, while still advancing society, (environmentally friendly royal dungeons!)
Balance nature and technology.
They make excellent friends with gnomes.

Player statistics:
Int +2, Charisma +2, Strength -2
Medium fey
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Damage reduction: 2/cold iron
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Any (Except Druidic)

Human/Dryad blood: Counts as a human or Dryad for the purposes of feats when beneficial.

Low-Light Vision: An half dryad can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Lesser Tree Dependency(Su)

Half Dryad's are mystically bound to a single, small tree of any type within a pot, and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do or their tree dies, become ill and die within 10d6 hours. Once per week, the Half Dryad must trim their tree to prevent it from growing too big, they require a pair of scissors and 1 hour to trim it down to size. Failure to trim it down to size results in a reduction of 1/4th of total speed while carrying the potted tree, to a maximum of 0, at which point the tree cannot be trimmed, and a new one must be obtained, with the old one being planted. Should a half dryad's tree perish, it has within the previously mention 10d6 hours to bind a new tree, this is done with an 6 hour ceremony, starting with the planting of the tree into its pot and meditating to form a bond. During the ceremony, the timer for the half dryad's death halts. A half dryad’s oak does not radiate magic.

A half dryad's tree has a hardness of 5 and 30 hit points. It weights 10 pounds.

The Anarresti
2010-06-24, 04:12 PM
This class is definatly overpowered. The human feat and skill points alone make the Human one of the strongest of the LA +0 races.
Secondly, what languages do they get?

Kiren
2010-06-24, 04:16 PM
This class is definatly overpowered. The human feat and skill points alone make the Human one of the strongest of the LA +0 races.
Secondly, what languages do they get?

Languages added, the feat and skill points will be changed once I come up with something differen't.

Quite frankly I thought having a hard to defend tree tied on your back was a major drawback.

The Anarresti
2010-06-24, 04:20 PM
Well, if it doesn't slow you down, I don't think it'll be a problem: I don't think it should really: it would either cripple you or not play a major problem. Objects don't usually get damaged in fighting, except in certain circumstances. It's kinda like a wizard's spellbook: only a drawback if the DM has goblins steal it or something.
I'd say take away it's feats, and give it maybe a few minor spell-like abilities instead, like speak with animals

MythMage
2010-06-24, 06:58 PM
I think if you take away the bonus feat, it'll be a very strong LA +0, but not unmanageably strong.

Kiren
2010-06-24, 07:10 PM
I think if you take away the bonus feat, it'll be a very strong LA +0, but not unmanageably strong.

Ill change it immediately, all though it doesn't seem as much like a half breed of the 2 with the current abilities.

The Anarresti
2010-06-24, 08:03 PM
Well, half-orcs don't seem as much of a half-breed either, more like Orc Lite. Then again, half-orcs are an underpowered race.
Anyway, put it like this: They get their tree dependency and special abilities from their fey parent, their mobility, humanoid classification and mortality from their human parent.
In all honesty, though, I think that a fey would be more likely to mate with an elf, although I love the concept of this race.