PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paladin Mount questions!

Fenryr
2010-06-24, 07:51 PM
Hello! Sorry for asking these but I read the Player Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide and I understand one thing and a friend of mine understands something else, so, here are some questions 'bout the special mount:

a) Mount just appears from heaven? I don't have to buy one before or tame it? It suddenly 'pops' in front of me and says "Hello, bub"? It's a 13 level campaign. So, I can have a gryphon just 'cuz I want to? Buy, tame, adopt, something?

b) Mounts turn into magic beast, right? Then, it gains the Magic Beast type benefits? Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision, proficient with own natural weapons, extra skill points and attack base? (Magical Beast type according to d20 hypertext) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm) And if I make it a celestial mount, what happens with Darkvision and such? Double darkvision?

c) If I multiclass or get a prestige class, the benefits (Hit Dice, Str, Int and such) only count my Paladin level or character level? And by the way, any good prestige class that improves mount?

d) If my mount is intelligent, how I can mark limits? Like "YOU NEVER TOUCH TREASUREEEEE!!" and "I will bath you once a week". The book says with Diplomacy and training, but the limits are PERMANENT? Or depending on the DM the mount can get crazy and disobey?

Thanks and sorry for any trouble I may cause. Cheers!

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-24, 08:03 PM
A) they are summoned, so they just pop in.
b) don't know, but I don't think so. It should act like a smart version of the base creature, no special abilities other than stated in the mount table.
C) unless the class states otherwise, and some do, they don't count.
D) the mount should obey you without much question. As long as you don't tell it to do something pointless and suicidal it should do what you say. It will likely do something pointless OR suicidal, but not both. If your DM changes that he is being strange. That's his porogitive. A good idea is yo ask him how he wants to play it. Most DM's just let the player control the mount directly.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-24, 08:04 PM
Hello! Sorry for asking these but I read the Player Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide and I understand one thing and a friend of mine understands something else, so, here are some questions 'bout the special mount:

a) Mount just appears from heaven? I don't have to buy one before or tame it? It suddenly 'pops' in front of me and says "Hello, bub"? It's a 13 level campaign. So, I can have a gryphon just 'cuz I want to? Buy, tame, adopt, something?

Basically, yes. Better mounts, like gryphons, require either a feat or a late advancement (like paladin level -3 for beast powers, and instead of a horse you get a shark)

b) Mounts turn into magic beast, right? Then, it gains the Magic Beast type benefits? Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision, proficient with own natural weapons, extra skill points and attack base? (Magical Beast type according to d20 hypertext) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm) And if I make it a celestial mount, what happens with Darkvision and such? Double darkvision?

Unless it is specifically noted otherwise, magical beast stuff should apply.

c) If I multiclass or get a prestige class, the benefits (Hit Dice, Str, Int and such) only count my Paladin level or character level? And by the way, any good prestige class that improves mount?

Multiclassing usually means you don't get to improve your mount. There are feats that cover that, letting an extra class stack for mount purposes.

d) If my mount is intelligent, how I can mark limits? Like "YOU NEVER TOUCH TREASUREEEEE!!" and "I will bath you once a week". The book says with Diplomacy and training, but the limits are PERMANENT? Or depending on the DM the mount can get crazy and disobey?

The mount is intelligent and should act accordingly. It probably has a set of beliefs imparted on it from the deities that made the mount. If you **** around unpaladinishly, odds are your mount will be upset.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble I may cause. Cheers!
here's a collection about mounts. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.msg243600#msg243600)