PDA

View Full Version : Understanding race and finding feats:

Os1ris09
2010-06-24, 07:52 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question on how the Marrulurk race can be played as a PC? I didn't see a column that says "Marrulurk as PC's" like the drow or orge has.

Also does anyone know of feats that stack rogue/ranger or monk/rogue? I cant seem to find them AND I was wondering if this build would be any good:

Ranger 2/Swashbuckler or monk 2/Rogue 16 (not in that order).

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 07:56 PM
Take the marrulurk's ability scores. Subtract 11 if odd, 10 if even. That is its ability adjustments. It retains all special qualities and special attacks not derived from feats or class levels. It should notate racial skill bonuses at the bottom of the monster description. Its ECL is its HD + any listed LA. If no listed LA, it's up to your DM.

PId6
2010-06-24, 08:04 PM
To make it easy for you:

Marrulurk

+2 Str +6 Dex +4 Con +6 Wis +4 Cha
Small size
20 ft speed
3 Monstrous Humanoid RHD
+2 natural armor
Bonus Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Sneak Attack +2d6, Death Attack, Nauseating Breath, Poison Use
Darkvision 60 ft
+4 racial to Hide/Move Silently
Marruspawn Traits:
Discriminating Hearing
Resistance to Dessication
Resist Fire 5
Low-Light Vision
Favored Class: Rogue
LA +1

These guys are ridiculously good for ranged rogues.

Os1ris09
2010-06-24, 08:10 PM
To make it easy for you:

Marrulurk

+2 Str +6 Dex +4 Con +6 Wis +4 Cha
Small size
20 ft speed
3 Monstrous Humanoid RHD
+2 natural armor
Bonus Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Sneak Attack +2d6, Death Attack, Nauseating Breath, Poison Use
Darkvision 60 ft
+4 racial to Hide/Move Silently
Marruspawn Traits:
Discriminating Hearing
Resistance to Dessication
Resist Fire 5
Low-Light Vision
Favored Class: Rogue
LA +1

These guys are ridiculously good for ranged rogues.

does the racial HD grant a feat and skill points?

PId6
2010-06-24, 08:11 PM
does the racial HD grant a feat and skill points?
Yes, they're basically the same as class levels, except without class features.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 08:15 PM
As Monstrous Humanoids, they get full BAB, good Reflex/Will, 2+Int skills/level for their racial HD. The marrulurk's racial class skills (for its HD) will be any skill it actively has ranks in in the monster statblock. It's also got Darkvision 60', simple weapon proficiency, and proficiency with anything listed in the statblock.

PId6
2010-06-24, 08:40 PM
Oh yes, I forgot, it also gets Longbow and Scimitar proficiencies. Longbow at least is a nice upgrade for rogues.

Ilmryn
2010-06-24, 08:49 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question on how the Marrulurk race can be played as a PC? I didn't see a column that says "Marrulurk as PC's" like the drow or orge has.

Also does anyone know of feats that stack rogue/ranger or monk/rogue? I cant seem to find them AND I was wondering if this build would be any good:

Ranger 2/Swashbuckler or monk 2/Rogue 16 (not in that order).

The Ascetic Rougue(i think its called that) from complete adventurer let rogue and monk stack. Ascetic Hunter let monk and ranger stack.

Os1ris09
2010-06-25, 01:07 PM
The Ascetic Rougue(i think its called that) from complete adventurer let rogue and monk stack. Ascetic Hunter let monk and ranger stack.

Is there any for rogue/Ranger?

Also would this trick work:

If you are a ranger/monk/rogue with the ascetic hunter and ascetic rogue feats everytime you get a ranger level you effectively get a monk level for certain class features. Since those class features are the same for the ascetic rogue do you gain a "monk" level for determining sneak attack? Or would you have to do monk to advance both feats? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it since your just getting the same bonus from monk and only sneak attack progression from the other feat. Of course the way I would rule it is there would be no infinite loops to exploit like if it work you got a rogue level therefore increasing your monk then ranger then monk again and so on so forth.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 01:41 PM
Is there any for rogue/Ranger?
Swift Ambusher in CScn.

Os1ris09
2010-06-25, 01:45 PM
Swift Ambusher in CScn.

If I remember correctly that is scout and rogue. :smallconfused:

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 02:17 PM
Oh, yeah.

Well, you could talk to your DM about letting Swift Hunter work.

Person_Man
2010-06-25, 02:26 PM
3 Monstrous Humanoid HD and +1 LA? Blergh, that's bad.

What's the DC on their Death Attack and Nauseating Breath? If it's 10 + Racial HD + relevant attribute, then it'll suck. But if it's 10 + total HD / 2 + relevant attribute or something similar, then they might be worth playing.

Dracons
2010-06-25, 02:32 PM

What's the DC on their Death Attack and Nauseating Breath? If it's 10 + Racial HD + relevant attribute, then it'll suck. But if it's 10 + total HD / 2 + relevant attribute or something similar, then they might be worth playing.

The Nauseating Breath is a flat DC: 10 + Half Racial + Con Mod.

The Death Attack DC however is: 10 + Half Racial + Cha mod rather then Int.

Milskidasith
2010-06-25, 02:56 PM

It's a straight upgrade to the Rogue, almost. You effectively lose out two rogue special abilities and a few skill points (and worse reflex saves before ability mods, in exchange for a bonus to fort) in exchange for the great ability mods and longbow proficiency, along with point blank shot and rapid shot as bonus feats.

As far as high RHD creatures go, it's actually useful.