PDA

View Full Version : Renegades Of The Elemental Retreats.

TruorTupnm
2010-06-24, 08:12 PM
For one reason or some other, you found yourself in the small coastal town of Morley. Upon dropping your guard, you encountered a plot contrivance along the lines of being beaten, drugged, or simply being foolish enough to spend the night at the inn.

You wake up in a ten by ten cell, uncomfortably. You have been divested of your weapons and supplies, but you still have any armour or anything that you've hidden on your person. There is a dim orange glow coming through the eye-level slot in the stone door. Via that or whatever other means you might have, you can see that there's not much to see, in your cells. They're made of large and apparently ancient stone blocks. There isn't even a pile of hay to keep you company.

If you were to look through the slot, you would see what look to be a line of cells like yours across a twenty foot space. The orange glow is coming from the west end of the room, which you can't see. On the eastern end is a large metal door.

Lycan 01
2010-06-24, 08:50 PM
Indoril sighs. He couldn't remember doing anything to deserve being locked in prison. He'd just come into town, tired from days wandering the countryside in search of ways to serve the Greater Good, and he'd decided to stop and rest in the local inn. There'd been a few other people travelling along the same road as him, and while he'd shared a few short conversations about the weather and such with them, he was by no means part of some group or anything. Just a humble Paladin, minding his own business. Yet here was. In jail.

With another sigh, Indoril leans against the iron door to his cell, and peers out the window slit. Out of curiousity, he jostles the handle of the door to see how secure it is. While he was a servant of Order and the Greater Good, being illegally imprisoned kinda went against his ideals. Thus, the people responsible for jailing him needed to be educated on the proper meaning of Law and Order. Indeed, a lesson needed to be taught. Possibly with his boots.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Not sure if we know each other yet or not. I think having to join forces would be great roleplaying experience (and perhaps earn us some XP), or I could just go back and say Indoril forgot about teaming up with them due to a bump on the head or something. :smalltongue:

TruorTupnm
2010-06-24, 09:02 PM
Indoril learns nothing. And, to clarify, the door is stone, and there is no handle. It's just a slab with the little slot. You could try Searching, too. Mayhaps you will encounter better luck.

Ah, and I don't especially care where or if you employ spoiler tags. I am kind of wondering, now, why I made that Out Of Character thread. Well, mayhaps if we get really side-tracked by something. Anyways, you guys can decide if you already know each other or not. I am a fan of handing out Experience Points for role-playing.

Lycan 01
2010-06-24, 09:37 PM
"Hmph..." Indoril huffs, turning to look back at the cell he's found himself locked in. "Wonder if there's anything useful here..."

Search: [roll0] - twas a 20

Actually, half the stuff you said in your last post would be the sort of stuff put in the OOC thread. In-game information, like the room and what Indoril finds, goes in the IC thread usually, while musings and comments by the DM and players go in the OOC thread typically. :smalltongue:

Forever Curious
2010-06-24, 10:49 PM
Phillian awoke rather calmly, stretching with a loud yawn. Such a pleasant sleep he had, alone in a cramped stone room. He stood with a smile on his face, glancing around his little cell. Well... now he was bored, and this room was much below his standards. Phillian turned to inspect the door, curious to find a way out. As he did so, he muttered a few words of arcane power, and his countenance almost seemed to radiate trust and good will.

Activate Beguiling Influence, granting me +6 to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks for 24 hours.

Also, how much does the door weigh?

Ultimarr
2010-06-24, 10:57 PM
Ridar woke up breathing dust, with his face on the floor. He shot up, and dusted off his armor. He looked around, realizing he was in prison! Or something to that measure... "I wonder why I'm here... Probably kicked a villain in the face or somesuch. But this doesn't seem like a town run prison... Allot of questions, time to get some answers." He pushed on the door, not surprised that it wouldn't open. He peered through the slot, hoping to see something. Nothing. Hm. He started to scan the floor and walls with his hands, expecting to feel something. He was running out of plans if he didn't...

Search: [roll0]

Krennel
2010-06-24, 11:27 PM
Samantha bolts upright in her cell. Stone, great. She pulls out a vial of acid from a hidden pocket in her jacket. She then expects how thick the objects holding the door on the wall are.

IonDragon
2010-06-25, 03:38 AM
Having done more things than his captors could possibly know to merit imprisonment, Victor decides that silence is his best ally. To volunteer information is to throw wood on his funeral pyre. He checks to see if his Shapesand is still on his person (hint-hint GM) and goes about investigating his cell. Search:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

And whatever skill would be relevant to determining the dificulty of escaping/identifying the locking mechanism of the door and how to bypass it: [roll3]

(If Appraise:+3, if Disable Device +9, if some Knowledge +3 cap @ 15)

TruorTupnm
2010-06-25, 11:34 AM
Everyone can hear everyone else, since I didn't notice that anyone was whispering, so you are now aware you are not the only one here. Looking out of the slot, some of you may notice others peeking out of their slots, on the other side of the room. It's Indoril, then Earthwarder, then Phillion, on the north side of the room, and Victor, Ridar, then Samantha, on the southern side. Your cells are the ones farthest to the east of the room.

Checking out the door results in disappointment, probably. It's jut a slab and a slot. No hinges, no locks, nothing visible but a slab of rock.

Yep, Victor still has his Shapesand.

IonDragon
2010-06-25, 06:00 PM
Victor

With a few moments of quiet concentration, Victor turns his Shapesand into a prybar, and begins testing out the stones in the back of his cell.

TruorTupnm
2010-06-25, 08:20 PM
Via testing, Victor finds that the stones in the back of the cell are loose enough to pry up. The others, who I'm still not sure you know or not, can hear you messing around in there. Everyone can hear some noises coming from the western side of the room, now. Just a bit of shifting, some rattles, some scratches.

Forever Curious
2010-06-25, 08:31 PM
Phillian scratches his head, certain that his trick won't work. He paces his cell a few times, listening to the others. He's simply biding his time at the moment: he could talk himself out of anything and had no need for weapons. He'd be just fine...

Ultimarr
2010-06-25, 08:46 PM
Ridar hears some sounds in a nearby cell, realizing that there were other people here;

"Hello?" He called, "If you can here me, I am a priest of Zeus imprisoned here for no good reason. Does anyone know what this place is? This is... uncomfortable, to say the least. I think I can get my way out of here with divine might if I have time to pray........ Hello?"

He inspects the floor. "Unsusual..." He thought, "I may as well wait to see if any others are here with me."

Listen check, to hear anything: [roll0]

Krennel
2010-06-25, 11:00 PM
No lock, no door, no hope. Samantha slumps against the wall, hoping somebody will get her out.
She calls out the door to the priest. "Could you do something more useful, and immediate, than praying please!"

Ultimarr
2010-06-25, 11:27 PM
"Praying is my power! That and my crossbow, but that isn't an option. Hmm, there seems to be smoothed stone at the back of my cell... I wonder if there might be a way out that way. You and whoever else is here, try the back of the cell with your breakout methods, because the door isn't going anywhere anyway. I would try, but I'm not exactly physically fit... I will ask my god and see if he grants me divine intelligence on what the hell is going on here."

Knowledge: Religion check to see if Zeus knows how to get out or where we are: [roll0]+8=24 (Forgot the modifier!)

IonDragon
2010-06-26, 10:08 PM
Victor

Wonder what's down there...

Victor will pull his Ioun stone from a small pouch, grasp in firmly, then let it fly. He will then pry up the stone and peek down the hole.

Lycan 01
2010-06-26, 11:04 PM
"Anybody care to explain to me how we got here, or why?" Indoril asks through the window of his cell door. "Perhaps we were all arrested because one or two of us broke the law, and they assumed we travellers were all part of the same group?" The Paladin then looks back at his room, and quickly looks it over.

Search check: [roll0]

Krennel
2010-06-26, 11:21 PM
"If this were a jail, there'd be a door so they could let us out." Samantha shifts he wings from their usual black to a nice angelic variety. She carefully preens the feathers. N locks, no door, no guards, no way to use her skills. For now.

Lycan 01
2010-06-26, 11:43 PM
Indoril smiles. "To the lady across the hall, I think you need to be more perceptive. There's a large iron door at the end of the room, and we're all in small cells with stone doors with little visors cut in them. If this is not a jail, then its a prison, and if it is not a prison, it is a dungeon. In some way, shape, or form we've been captured and locked up for some odd reason. And I'd just like to know what that reason is."

Krennel
2010-06-27, 12:02 AM
"Then who opens it, Giants? There appear to be no hinges, which are needed for simple physics to open the things."

Lycan 01
2010-06-27, 12:09 AM
"Magic?" Indoril muses with a shrug. "Or a system of weights and pullies hidden by the wall? I don't know, but we had to get locked in here somehow. But that's not the point. Right now I just want to know why we're here. Does anybody remember anything?"

Ultimarr
2010-06-27, 01:03 AM
Not I, I don't remember a thing. I think I'll wait for help, since I'm not a very skillful person. Maybe if I can get my god too help us, we will be saved. Or maybe not. Either way, We'll find out in a hour. Oo idea, cover your ears."

"OH MY!" He yells out the slot, "I SUURE LOVE MY LIGHTNING BOLT SPELL! YEP! BOOM, RIGHT THROUGH THE WALL! C'MON GUYS, LETS GO!"

Ridar leans against the far wall, waiting for something to happen. Nothing would, but it was worth a shot.

Forever Curious
2010-06-27, 01:14 AM
Phillian's ears perked up as Samantha speaks, a smile spreading across his face. Perhaps being captured wasn't a complete waste of time... but for now he would have to wait it out. He kept quietly to himself, waiting. There would be time to reveal who and what he was eventually...

IonDragon
2010-06-27, 02:35 AM
Victor

It occurs to me, gentlemen and lady, that I am in a much more advantageous position than you. You see, I've found the way out. What say you to striking a deal and getting us all out of here in a timely matter?

Lycan 01
2010-06-27, 02:43 AM
"What sort of deal are we talking here, stranger?" Indoril remarks, leaning against the wall of his cell. "And might I ask who all of folks are? I'd rather not find myself in the company of a crazed band of cutthroats and lunatics. As for my own identity, my name is Indoril, and I bear the title of Paladin."

Krennel
2010-06-27, 03:49 AM
"Well isn't that just grand! A Paladin! My name is Dely'ramthen, but most humans know me as Samantha. Yeah, that's demonic. I say this as I imagine this is the best time to tell you, since you can't go all "hoolier than though" and smite me back to the abyss from the other side of that wall.
Point is, I've been trying to change, so hold with the smiting when we get out of here.
Anyways, What kind of deal you want. And as a side note, I'm not like those girls you can get in the shadier cities."
Samantha rubs her face with a hand. Great, just great.

TruorTupnm
2010-06-27, 10:22 AM
Skill checks for Earthwarder ---> Search ---> [roll0] Spot ---> [roll1]

Just then, you hear a lot of grinding, as of ancient gears working, and anyone who looks will see that the cells to the west are opening, one by one. Their doors slide up the ceiling, and their back walls slide forward to fill the cell's space. Sniffing and whining, a large dog with glowing red eyes comes into view, pacing along in front of each cell. It stops in front of Indoril's cell and gets up on its hind legs to sniff through the slot at him. It tries to shove a paw through, but the slot is too small.

You can see that each cell takes a round to open. There are six cells that'll open, then they'll open in this order: Indoril, Victor, Earthwarder, Ridar, Phillion, then Samantha.

IonDragon
2010-06-27, 02:28 PM
Victor

Never one to run away from a fight, Victor is no fool. Unarmed and without even a numbers advantage. Flight is the best option.

There are loose stones in the back of your cell! Pry one up and jump down! Victor calls as he does so himself, readying his prybar to strike.

Krennel
2010-06-27, 09:55 PM
Samantha tries to look for the stone that was alluded too.
search check [roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-06-28, 10:56 PM
Indoril backs away from the door, then looks down at the loose stones below them. As fast as he can, he leans down and tries to wrench the stone free, in hopes of finding a way to escape.

Strength check? [roll0]

Ultimarr
2010-06-29, 04:24 PM
[[OOC: I think I might of gotten the visualization wrong, so correct me if I this isn't possible]]

Ridar hears the words of the person in the cell nearby, and looks at the dog. Well, he didn't exactly seem friendly, so might at least try to escape before the dog got to him! He turns to the back of his cell, and starts trying to pry open the stones with a small dagger he hid in his boot [[For flavor, it won't do any damage]].

Strength Check: [roll0]

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-06-30, 03:09 PM
Having finally come to completely Earthwarder stands in his room, bracing himself for what's to come next while mentally reviewing what's been happening around him in his half-awake state.

TruorTupnm
2010-06-30, 03:32 PM
Everyone that moves a stone from the floor in the back of their cells can see that, yes, there is a room down there. No need for Spot or Strength checks. If you move a second stone, you'll have room to jump down. That'll take two rounds. So, what are you guys doing?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-06-30, 04:00 PM
Hearing his jailors coming closer Earthwarder's hand strays automatically toward his hip, reaching for the comforting folds of his cloak. Realizing it had been taken from him he roars in outrage "Who took my cloak!? I'm gonna rip off your arms and beat your friends to death with them! Give me back my cloak!" after that point his speach degenerates into incoherent sylables of rage.

Krennel
2010-06-30, 04:18 PM
Samantha sits down and waits for the door to open, though she moves the second stone for a quick get away.
She wants to see if this dog can be persuaded to give more information, or at least easily beaten. This way out seems to easy.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-07-01, 03:20 PM
If there's time before my door opens I'd like to cast Ram's Might. On a related note, does a Goliath's unarmed strike count as large in terms of damage?

Lycan 01
2010-07-01, 03:31 PM
Indoril rips the stones free as fast as he can, trying to open up enough room for him to drop down into the room below. He knows his duty is to fight the forces of evil, but hitting that daemon dog with a righteously-infused punch would accomplish nothing more than wasting his Smite Evil radiance for the day. And probably get his hand gnawed off. But once he found himself a weapon, doggy was going down...

TruorTupnm
2010-07-01, 06:10 PM
Sure, Goliaths can do that, I'll say. And you have plenty of time to buff yourselves. Is there anything else that anyone would like to do before doors start opening? Stay up or go down, now. Also, if this would affect your choice, I'll remind you that, when the doors open, the back walls of the cells also push out. The holes in the backs of the cells won't be an escape route.

Krennel
2010-07-01, 06:24 PM
Samantha, noticing the back of the room also opening up, pulls up another stone and jumps down.

Ultimarr
2010-07-01, 08:05 PM
Ridar looks around and hears the activities of the people in the cells next to him, and jumps down to the room below.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-07-06, 01:30 PM
Earthwarder stands his ground as the rear wall slowly covers his only escape option. "Okay, I've calmed down a bit, and I'm sorry about the whole 'arm-ripping' thing" he half-shouts through the door. "But I'm not sure why I'm here and I really would like my cloak back."

IonDragon
2010-07-15, 05:16 PM
What can I see in the lower room?

IonDragon
2010-07-31, 02:35 AM
Our GM has not been online in 3 weeks...