PDA

View Full Version : Dreads itp?

Froogleyboy
2010-06-24, 11:16 PM
Hey, guys, for a reason I'd rather not discuss, I'm going to be trying to grow dreadlocks. I was wondering if anyone here has a nice set of dreads?

Raistlin1040
2010-06-24, 11:21 PM
Don't do it Froog!

Mystic Muse
2010-06-24, 11:24 PM
Don't do it Froog!

He's right! It's a trap!

Jokasti
2010-06-24, 11:25 PM
Why? I can see in the winter, but why summer?

Serpentine
2010-06-24, 11:29 PM
"Dreadlocks on a white man is just dirty hair" :smallwink:

But I do have a vague feeling, from what I sort of remember of what Foogles looks like, that he could possibly pull them off.

Xzeno
2010-06-24, 11:30 PM
:smallsigh:

The downside of dreadlocks is that no one ever wants to talk about current events or the weather.

What kind of dreadlocks do you want to grow? Regardless, my first tip would probably be "don't comb your hair".

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-24, 11:30 PM
Considering how they are done, dreadlocks on anyone is dirty hair.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-24, 11:36 PM
"Dreadlocks on a white man is just dirty hair" :smallwink:

But I do have a vague feeling, from what I sort of remember of what Foogles looks like, that he could possibly pull them off.

Not from the picture I saw.

But, you and I probably have a difference of opinion on what people can pull off.

Xzeno
2010-06-24, 11:38 PM
Considering how they are done, dreadlocks on anyone is dirty hair.

:smallfrown: My hair isn't dirty.

Like any type of hair style, dreadlocks require hygienic considerations.

Like I said, the downside is that everyone older than 20 who talks to you will think he or she has something clever to say about your choice of hairstyle.

Lycan 01
2010-06-24, 11:39 PM
You make such interesting threads, Froogle. Might I suggest not getting yourself into so many bizarre situations? :smallconfused:

arguskos
2010-06-24, 11:45 PM
You make such interesting threads, Froogle. Might I suggest not getting yourself into so many bizarre situations? :smallconfused:
Dude, the secret to a full and rich life is to do stuff all the time. Experiences, man, experiences. The Sensates really have it rich, gotta say.

Sneak
2010-06-24, 11:53 PM
Not to disparage those who have chosen the almighty dreadlock as their preferred follicle-styling, but please, Froogleyboy...

...don't mangle your hair.

Anuan
2010-06-24, 11:54 PM
I used to want dreads.
Then I lived with my at-the-time girlfriend, who had them, and found out how scratchy-uncomfortable they are during cuddles, and also how much care they take to keep them from becoming terrible. Wax and such.

Also very few people can look good with dreads.
In all honesty, you're probably not one. Posting a pic for confirmation is probably a good idea.

Starscream
2010-06-25, 12:05 AM
My stepbrother had dreads for a while. They looked pretty awful, but he was proud of them.

Then he joined the Air Force. Chop.

Some people can pull them off. For the other 99.99% of us, they are to be avoided.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 12:41 AM
First, to those who say that is just dirty hair: That is completely wrong. You can have clean dreads.
Second, to those who say I make odd threads: I enjoy being odd. It spices up my life :P

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 12:56 AM
We still need pictures to determine whether you look good in dreads or if you'll completely regret them.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 01:00 AM
We still need pictures to determine whether you look good in dreads or if you'll completely regret them.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/m_41af90817d9e4d55a11cfd4f902009dc.jpg
There you go, what do you think? That was from earlier this year

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 01:04 AM
I'll let the rest of the thread decide. I"m horrible at giving fashion advice. I wear the same clothes almost every day of the year. (By this, I mean T-shirt and shorts. Not the same T-shirt and shorts every day)

although, looking at the picture, I'd say it's a bad idea.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 01:19 AM
Well, I have other reasons to grow them other then looks, I just don't feel comfortable sharing them

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 01:22 AM
Well, I have other reasons to grow them other then looks, I just don't feel comfortable sharing them

That's fine. However, it makes it harder for us if we can't know why else you want them.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:23 AM
Put it this way - I wouldn't encourage you to get them.

Starscream
2010-06-25, 01:24 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/bj71x0.jpg

Could be worse.:smallbiggrin:

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 01:28 AM
That's fine. However, it makes it harder for us if we can't know why else you want them.

Well it is of a religious nature and I don't want to get another warning

http://i46.tinypic.com/bj71x0.jpg

Could be worse.:smallbiggrin:

OMG! I'm in love

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 01:34 AM
Your picture with dreadlocks reminds me of John travolta from the Nostalgia critic's review of battlefield earth.

I'll let you decide if that's a good or bad thing.

At least you don't have a mustache made of nose hair *shudders*

I can't think of any religious reason you'd want dreadlocks. However, I don't know much of religions other than my own.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:36 AM
Rastafarianism is associated with dreadlocks. Not sure if it's a requirement of the religion or anything, but that'd be my guess. Somewhere to start looking, anyway, if you're interested.

Raistlin1040
2010-06-25, 01:36 AM
The Rastafarian movement comes to mind as the only religion with dreadlocks as a symbol.

Starscream
2010-06-25, 01:37 AM
Your picture with dreadlocks reminds me of John travolta from the Nostalgia critic's review of battlefield earth.

"While you were still learning to SPELL YOUR NAME, I was rocking out to Bob Marley and The Wailers!"

Seriously, Spoony makes the best Terl ever.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:37 AM
Beatcha, Raisin :smallcool:

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 01:48 AM
Rastafarianism, or an odd take on the Nazerite Vow. Both of which are very random. :smallconfused:

I wonder how this will turn out. While I can't vouch for dreads, I can tell you that long hair SUCKS. I've had my hair past my shoulders before, up until a couple of months ago in fact, and it SUCKED. I wanted a hair cut soooo bad, but I needed it long for a Shakespeare play. Which I ended up wearing a hat for, so the hair was pointless. :smallannoyed:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 01:48 AM
Rastafarianism is associated with dreadlocks. Not sure if it's a requirement of the religion or anything, but that'd be my guess. Somewhere to start looking, anyway, if you're interested.

Hmm. It's an interesting religion and that's all I'm going to say as anything else would go too far into forbidden topics.

And I mean interesting in a good way.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 01:52 AM
Yes, I mean Rastafarianism. Now, We should shush about it before the mods get in here. So, what do you guys think?

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:54 AM
Ahm agin'it.

But ahm fo' long hair.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-06-25, 01:55 AM
Dreads rarely look good, and I know only one guy who manages to pull it off ok.
And that's just ''ok''.

I wonder how this will turn out. While I can't vouch for dreads, I can tell you that long hair SUCKS. I've had my hair past my shoulders before, up until a couple of months ago in fact, and it SUCKED. I wanted a hair cut soooo bad, but I needed it long for a Shakespeare play. Which I ended up wearing a hat for, so the hair was pointless. :smallannoyed:
So, do tell us ''why'' it sucked, instead of random complaining please?

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 01:55 AM
Well, you've got a long time to think about it. It'll take you months to get hair long enough for dreads, or at least decent ones. By that time, you should have it figured out for sure on whether or not you want to pursue this endevour. :smallconfused:

Xzeno
2010-06-25, 02:04 AM
Uh, guys? Can we maybe stop being so overwhelmingly negative about all of this?

You know, never mind.

SO FROOGLEYBOY! Anything in particular you'd like to know about having dreads? I'm not the best place for advice, but I have some experience.

llamamushroom
2010-06-25, 02:07 AM
My only experience with dreadlocks is a former co-worker (awesome guy, loved him to bits) and one of the Latin teachers at my school. In the latter case, it looks so awesome - dreads and suit are a good combination.

Starscream
2010-06-25, 02:08 AM
Uh, guys? Can we maybe stop being so overwhelmingly negative about all of this?

Welcome to the internet. Have you been helped?:smallwink:

In all seriousness, there are much sillier hairstyles, and you should do whatever you think looks good.

Just don't grow a mullet.

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 02:08 AM
Lets see... Problems with long hair, in my experience...

It impares your vision, since hair has sort of a tendency to drop down in front of your eyes once it gets past a certain length. :smalltongue: Sure, you can wear a hat or pull the hair back behind you ears, but hats get hot fast and make your hair dirty, and hair tucked behind your ears tends to come loose, so you have to constantly keep fixing it. The hair-flippy thing is very aggrivating, and it messes up your balance since you gotta thrash your head around a lot.

Its hot. Like, unbearably hot in warm temperatures, since it basically traps heat all around your head. If it covers your ears, which is where your body releases most of its heat, you're really start feeling hot. Speaking of sweat, long hair tends to get dirty faster, since you tend to sweat more from the heat, and you have to keep touching it to pull back your hear or wear a hat all the time, which makes it look rather nappy. And its very demanding to take care of. If you don't brush it every day, it gets tangled. Both options are annoying.

Once your hair gets long enough for a ponytail, though, things get better. But when its still in that "long-but-still-too-short-to-do-anything-with" phase, boy is it annoying. :smallsigh:

I'm not sure when you do dreads, though. Seems like you'd have to grow it out a good distance for them to look decent, though. :smallconfused:

rakkoon
2010-06-25, 02:09 AM
Do it!
Saw the picture, just go for it.
But for Pete's sake, keep it clean. I had a friend in class with dread and when he put my bandana on I let him keep it.
The stains still give me nightmares

Raistlin1040
2010-06-25, 02:11 AM
I still say no, mate. I know a fair amount of suburban-y kids that have dreadlocks, and it just looks dirty. Even if you take care of them, they look unwashed and messy. They just don't look that great.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 02:12 AM
I personally like the opposite of dreadlocks. I usually buzz most of my hair off. My surgery scar is visible then but I think it looks cool.

Once I get my hair buzzed I'll finally put a picture in one of the picture threads they have here.

Okay, maybe that's not quite the opposite. I don't care.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 02:25 AM
Uh, guys? Can we maybe stop being so overwhelmingly negative about all of this?He asked for our opinions. So far, our opinions are overwhelmingly negative.

Lycan: Billions of women, and very large numbers of men, have coped very well with all the dire disastrous inconveniences of long hair. Methinks you are perhaps over dramatising it.

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 02:28 AM
I'll admit, my opinion is rather biased. Of course, I've also got extremely thick jet black hair, so it reeeeeeeally makes things worse for me. :smalltongue:

That, and I was just never good at taking care of it. :smallsigh:

Innis Cabal
2010-06-25, 02:36 AM

It impares your vision, since hair has sort of a tendency to drop down in front of your eyes once it gets past a certain length. :smalltongue: Sure, you can wear a hat or pull the hair back behind you ears, but hats get hot fast and make your hair dirty, and hair tucked behind your ears tends to come loose, so you have to constantly keep fixing it. The hair-flippy thing is very aggrivating, and it messes up your balance since you gotta thrash your head around a lot.

Its hot. Like, unbearably hot in warm temperatures, since it basically traps heat all around your head. If it covers your ears, which is where your body releases most of its heat, you're really start feeling hot. Speaking of sweat, long hair tends to get dirty faster, since you tend to sweat more from the heat, and you have to keep touching it to pull back your hear or wear a hat all the time, which makes it look rather nappy. And its very demanding to take care of. If you don't brush it every day, it gets tangled. Both options are annoying.

Once your hair gets long enough for a ponytail, though, things get better. But when its still in that "long-but-still-too-short-to-do-anything-with" phase, boy is it annoying. :smallsigh:

I'm not sure when you do dreads, though. Seems like you'd have to grow it out a good distance for them to look decent, though. :smallconfused:

Being a man with long hair, almost to my butt up until recently (And almost for 15 years), I'd have to kindly disagree. There are hair ties that can let you keep your hair out of your face and not tucked behind your ears.

Also, I to have thick jet black hair, and brush fairly rarely. In fact almost never. Conditioner is a life saver in this regard. If you want long hair you have to know how to manage it. Its no harder then short hair I've found. They sell two in one shampoo's that do wonderfully well keeping knots out. Do you get them? Yes its unavoidable and short hair will keep this possibility less. But you brush your hair after the shower and go on your way.

Now I have hair just to my chin, and I still pull my hair back with a tie, and it works just as well.

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 02:46 AM
Again, I was just never good at taking care of it. I realize this, and many people pointed it out to me. I didn't want long hair - I had to grow it out for a play, as per the director's demands. I knew I couldn't take care of it, nor did I know how to take care of it. Which is why I'm happy to have short hair now. :smalltongue:

But, I still think its good for Froogle to hear all of these opinions. My own may not be the best example, but its still an example of what happens when you have no idea what you're doing with long hair. You guys had better luck, because you knew what you were doing, and he can in turn learn from that. Yay for people learning from my stupidity! XD

So yeah, feel free to make fun of me for Froogle's benefit. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-06-25, 02:57 AM
I don't know much about rastafarians and dreadlocks, but I did see a bunch of pastafarians at the Fremont Fest parade last weekend.

Proof!
http://www.seattleatheists.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/DSCN0627.jpg

Jokasti
2010-06-25, 02:58 AM
May you be touched by his noodley appendage.

Lycan 01
2010-06-25, 03:19 AM
Fun fact: I once DMed a campaign where one player was a Paladin of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. He could turn his enemies' blood into Ragu, and his Healing abilities left people with full stomachs and the taste of delicious pasta in their mouths. :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2010-06-25, 04:21 AM
Again, I was just never good at taking care of it. I realize this, and many people pointed it out to me. I didn't want long hair - I had to grow it out for a play, as per the director's demands. I knew I couldn't take care of it, nor did I know how to take care of it. Which is why I'm happy to have short hair now. :smalltongue:

But, I still think its good for Froogle to hear all of these opinions. My own may not be the best example, but its still an example of what happens when you have no idea what you're doing with long hair. You guys had better luck, because you knew what you were doing, and he can in turn learn from that. Yay for people learning from my stupidity! XD

So yeah, feel free to make fun of me for Froogle's benefit. :smallbiggrin:

I'd still say dreds are a bad idea. They almost always look dirty, or at least dingy (on anyone. Dosn't matter how you accomplish them). Nine times out of ten, they stink. Jobs will -very- likely hire you if you have them. Escpecially if your in a more white collar area. And that bit is a serious consideration if your going into the job world.

They do require upkeep and as many have said. They don't look good on 99% of the population. From the picture, your not one of that 1% from what I can tell. Sorry. Not only that (And again no offense meant here) but your reason for getting them..seems off base. I can't be certain and can't really ask for clarification on this subject so its just an assumption at this point. But chances are...ya. Your wanting the dreds for a wrong or mis-informed reason.

Spiryt
2010-06-25, 04:31 AM
I still say no, mate. I know a fair amount of suburban-y kids that have dreadlocks, and it just looks dirty. Even if you take care of them, they look unwashed and messy.

That's what's neat about them. Tidy and brushed civilized look is out of fashion. :smallamused:

And seriously, most guys and girls I've seen with dreads IRL look really fine.

I don't know if those who don't just shave them off so I don't see them, but that's just my observation. :smallwink:

http://www.poxin.org/photo/gallery/2005/09.%20September/Burning%20Man/dredy.jpg

Nerzi
2010-06-25, 04:55 AM
I like dreads, still miss (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v254/137/26/284800192/n284800192_473731_358.jpg) mine (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v271/19/27/504433962/n504433962_667829_4952.jpg) . And a good looking guy who can pull off dreadlocks (def doesn't suit everyone and not even all good looking blokes can pull it off) is about as sexy as it gets.

Dunno if you'd be able to pull them off, hard to tell from one photo, but if you're doing it for religion more than fashion that's not really the issue anyway so I won't give advice based on that.

From my (not very extensive and possibly incorrect - I was looking for other information) reading back when I got mine though rastafarians apparently prefer their dreads to form naturally rather than doing what I did and paying to get them done proffessionally. And completely natural dreads on white people do look iffy and are hard to get. Would require a lot of time and effort if that's what you want to do. And once you have them they're high (or at least time consuming) maintenence (rolling stray hairs in, keeping them waxed, washing etc. etc.).

If you're allowed to use products (I can't remember if you're meant to or not) then I'd recomend knottyboy for dread wax (website also has a lot of useful info on dreads, mainenance and all that - def worth a read through for someone not sure about getting them) but don't splash out on the shampoo - you can use any cheap stuff as long as it doesn't leave chemical residue and don't use conditioner at all.

rakkoon
2010-06-25, 05:01 AM
It all depends on the person and how they act.
I knew a girl once, not the standard playmate size but a beautiful face and a strong personality.
She had long hair and was pretty
She got dreads and was pretty
She shaved it all off and was still pretty.

Make it work baby :smallsmile:

Anuan
2010-06-25, 05:10 AM
I'll say this, if you really want to get the dreads; grow your hair long FIRST. As long as you can. Because if you're going to go and get them done, they're expensive. If you do it yourself, it's hard to do. But the thing is, when your hair grows, you have to keep twisting them at the base to keep them into well-defined, clean dreads. Otherwise they just turn into a giant mess of horribleness at your scalp.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-06-25, 05:23 AM
Does Froogleyboy remind anyone else of Dorian Gray?

Nerzi
2010-06-25, 05:23 AM
I'll say this, if you really want to get the dreads; grow your hair long FIRST. As long as you can. Because if you're going to go and get them done, they're expensive. If you do it yourself, it's hard to do. But the thing is, when your hair grows, you have to keep twisting them at the base to keep them into well-defined, clean dreads. Otherwise they just turn into a giant mess of horribleness at your scalp.

Partly dissagree on the length part.
Best dreads I ever saw were from a guy who got them started when he had about three inches of hair and with good maintenance they grew almost perfectly. If you're going to a hairdressers then as long as you've got enough hair for them to actually work with (and they can work with shorter hair than you can at home) length doesn't matter, and the longer your hair the longer it takes to do (took about four hours for mine) and the more risk of them coming untangled before they've set in and knotted together properly.
It is expensive to get them done proffesionally though so if you want to do it yourself then, yeah, I agree, grow your hair out first - too fiddly to create dreads that short in your own hair.

Twisting though, yep, that you need to do. Often.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 02:40 PM
From my (not very extensive and possibly incorrect - I was looking for other information) reading back when I got mine though rastafarians apparently prefer their dreads to form naturally rather than doing what I did and paying to get them done proffessionally. And completely natural dreads on white people do look iffy and are hard to get. Would require a lot of time and effort if that's what you want to do. And once you have them they're high (or at least time consuming) maintenence (rolling stray hairs in, keeping them waxed, washing etc. etc.).

Now, most of the time one must do them natural, but it is perfectly fine to get them started at a salon or something, You just can't get them cut

Dragonrider
2010-06-25, 04:00 PM
Okay, having dreaded someone's hair, and having watched him (my dad) grow them out for the last two years, here are a couple points of advice I have):

If you're gonna do it naturally, this doesn't really apply. But good-looking dreads don't happen naturally on most people's hair.

PRELIMINARY INFO

1. Any hair type can dread well if you take care of it. My dad has wavy/loosely curly dark brown hair and he has really nice dreads now

2. DO IT RIGHT - otherwise it'll turn out ratty.

3. I highly recommend this website, which has all the paraphernalia you need to keep them looking decent and to get them to dread up well in the first place, as well as tutorials for starting. (http://dreadheadhq.com/)

STUFF ABOUT THE DREADING

1. Someone recommended letting your hair get long first. I THINK THIS IS A BAD IDEA. When I did my dad's it took seven solid hours, and his hair was only six inches long. Admittedly we were doing VERY SMALL sections, but still. Six inches is probably about your minimum, but I wouldn't grow it out any longer than about ten.

2. Again, I highly recommend the tutorials on dreadheadhq, as well as their products, but read them thoroughly first. (We didn't and it slowed us up).

3. It'll look bad for the first year or so, even if you do all the right things. This is the progression of my dad's hair (faces whited out cuz I doubt he wants pictures of his face on the internet):
pre-dread (weird lens flare there)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/Daddynice.jpg

dread-day
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_0822.jpg

One month
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_2564.jpg

One year
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_4414.jpg

Just for kicks, this is how he keeps cool in the summer (also one year from dreading)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_5438.jpg

Two years (unfortunately not a great shot but the best I have)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/Untitled-1.jpg

Honestly, my mum hates them because she thinks they're scratchy, but they look pretty good. Almost no frizz, and he uses a latch-hook to draw stray strands back into the dread. He washes them about once a week with fragrance-free dread soap.

That said, Froogley, a warning: to get nice ones, you're gonna put in a LOT of work in the first six months for crappy-looking hair initially. Dad gave up on wax, but after the initally separating and back-combing, he rubbed them CONSTANTLY. And he has to continue to rub the roots to get them to keep dreading up. They're well past his shoulders now, nearly to the middle of his back at the longest parts. They're really cool. But it's gonna take a year before they're decent and two before they're really good.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-25, 04:06 PM
Okay, having dreaded someone's hair, and having watched him (my dad) grow them out for the last two years, here are a couple points of advice I have):

If you're gonna do it naturally, this doesn't really apply. But good-looking dreads don't happen naturally on most people's hair.

PRELIMINARY INFO

1. Any hair type can dread well if you take care of it. My dad has wavy/loosely curly dark brown hair and he has really nice dreads now

2. DO IT RIGHT - otherwise it'll turn out ratty.

3. I highly recommend this website, which has all the paraphernalia you need to keep them looking decent and to get them to dread up well in the first place, as well as tutorials for starting. (http://dreadheadhq.com/)

STUFF ABOUT THE DREADING

1. Someone recommended letting your hair get long first. I THINK THIS IS A BAD IDEA. When I did my dad's it took seven solid hours, and his hair was only six inches long. Admittedly we were doing VERY SMALL sections, but still. Six inches is probably about your minimum, but I wouldn't grow it out any longer than about ten.

2. Again, I highly recommend the tutorials on dreadheadhq, as well as their products, but read them thoroughly first. (We didn't and it slowed us up).

3. It'll look bad for the first year or so, even if you do all the right things. This is the progression of my dad's hair (faces whited out cuz I doubt he wants pictures of his face on the internet):
pre-dread (weird lens flare there)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/Daddynice.jpg

dread-day
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_0822.jpg

One month
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_2564.jpg

One year
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_4414.jpg

Just for kicks, this is how he keeps cool in the summer (also one year from dreading)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/100_5438.jpg

Two years (unfortunately not a great shot but the best I have)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/Untitled-1.jpg

Honestly, my mum hates them because she thinks they're scratchy, but they look pretty good. Almost no frizz, and he uses a latch-hook to draw stray strands back into the dread. He washes them about once a week with fragrance-free dread soap.

That said, Froogley, a warning: to get nice ones, you're gonna put in a LOT of work in the first six months for crappy-looking hair initially. Dad gave up on wax, but after the initally separating and back-combing, he rubbed them CONSTANTLY. And he has to continue to rub the roots to get them to keep dreading up. They're well past his shoulders now, nearly to the middle of his back at the longest parts. They're really cool. But it's gonna take a year before they're decent and two before they're really good.
Thanks, Dragonrider, that was very helpful :) and from the pictures, I think it looked pretty cool on Dread-Day

Keld Denar
2010-06-25, 05:52 PM
DeeRee...has anyone told you that your family is freakin sweet? A father with dreads has to be awesome on some level or another.

Orzel
2010-06-25, 06:10 PM
I used to have dreads back when I was a little kid for a very very short time.
But half my family is from the Caribbean so it's okay. :smallbiggrin:

If you do it, DO IT RIGHT!!

Anuan
2010-06-25, 06:19 PM
Okay, yes, I should have mentioned that long hair will take a LONG time to do. If you're going to a salon you'll probably have a small team of people doing it; my ex had her hair about maybe a foot and a half long, had a team of four people and it took eight hours.

Your hair keeps growing though, and it'll be easier to look after the roots and continue their dreading without turning into a giant clump of terribleness if you grow it long first. But if you're doing this religiously, doing a daily wax and twist of your hair will probably be a good thing anyway.

Dragonrider
2010-06-25, 09:59 PM
DeeRee...has anyone told you that your family is freakin sweet? A father with dreads has to be awesome on some level or another.

Oh, yes, I am well aware. :smallbiggrin: He's the best.

If you do it, DO IT RIGHT!!

Seconded!

onthetown
2010-06-26, 03:45 PM

I just heard about these neat things called ponytails and elastics. They're great little inventions that allow you to pull the hair behind your ears, except it stays there. Far out, I know.

I generally don't like dreads, but it's your hair and your image. If it makes you feel good, do it.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-26, 03:48 PM
Okay, I've decided to do it!

Moff Chumley
2010-06-26, 04:07 PM
My girlfriend (I think she's on here somewhere...) has dreads, which she did herself. I'm not gonna post a picture, but it looks great. The fact that she's not exactly white helps, too. However, I know plenty of white guys with dreads, and they look fine. Again, it's perfectly possible to have clean dreads. Dirty dreads are just a stereotype/urban legend.

Anyhow, I've had long hair for the majority of my life, and It doesn't bother me one bit. :smallconfused:

Faceist
2010-06-26, 05:54 PM
Rastafarianism, or an odd take on the Nazerite Vow. Both of which are very random. :smallconfused:

I like long hair on dudes! I am the Faceist, though, so my primary motivation is a fringe long enough to disguise my eyes. At least 90% of the people I meet say "Hey, how do you see?" :smallbiggrin:

Anywho, dreads. Dreads. I'm not a huge fan of them on white dudes. It's not as bad as a white guy having an afro (le shudder), though. But hey, whatever makes you happy, monsieur Froogle. If you think it'd look good, full steam ahead.

Serpentine
2010-06-26, 10:48 PM
It's not as bad as a white guy having an afro (le shudder), though.Rockin' the Jewfro. :smallwink: I have a friend or two with that... Quite impressive, actually.
My dad used to basically have a 'fro (wonder if I have his wedding photo around here anywhere...), but he doesn't look white...
Okay, I've decided to do it!Pickchuz!

Moff Chumley
2010-06-26, 11:59 PM
Rockin' the Jewfro. :smallwink: I have a friend or two with that... Quite impressive, actually.

Aw heelz yes. :smallbiggrin:

Incedentally, does a black jewish guy have a jewfro or an afro? :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2010-06-27, 12:02 AM
A jewfrofro.
Pronounced "jafroofroo".

Moff Chumley
2010-06-27, 12:06 AM
I approve.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-27, 12:56 AM
It's not as bad as a white guy having an afro (le shudder).

Funny thing is, If I go all summer without visiting a barber shop, my hair basically becomes an afro

Falgorn
2010-06-27, 04:07 PM
Just noticing this thread now. While I don't have dreads, I want them. Right now, I have a tiny afro.

Serpentine
2010-06-28, 12:49 AM
Right now, I have a tiny afro.Would it be rude to ask your race? I wanna know whether I should respond with "yay! Bring back afros! Much cooler than cornrows and shaved heads!" or repeat my "rockin' the jewfro" comment.

Xyk
2010-06-28, 01:25 AM
My brother has dreads. According to him, they are an automatic entrance to any sort of clubs with a bouncer. Also they take an ungodly long time to make look good. He had hair to the middle of his back when he started a year ago and they're just now becoming full-ish. And his hair has shrunk about 6 inches in a year without cutting. At the beginning they take a fair amount of maintenance but as you go on, it's reduced to practically none.

Falgorn
2010-06-28, 06:43 PM
Would it be rude to ask your race? I wanna know whether I should respond with "yay! Bring back afros! Much cooler than cornrows and shaved heads!" or repeat my "rockin' the jewfro" comment.

Oh no, it's fine.
African American is my race.

Serpentine
2010-06-28, 11:14 PM
Cool.

Yay! Bring back the afro! Much cooler than cornrows or shaved head! :smallbiggrin: